Re: Idle Chatter

I have this recipe on the stove for the weekend at the moment. First time.

Narsai David Recipe: Graham’s British Navy Beans with Tomato Sauce

February 23, 2011 10:36 AM

4 cups Small navy Beans
4 TBS Cornstarch
1/2 cup brown sugar (or 2/3 cup if you prefer it sweeter)
3 TBS vinegar
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp black pepper
1 TBS salt
12 TBS tomato paste (1- 6 oz can)

Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a 6 quart pot or larger. Add the beans and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour. Then drain, and discard that water. This “de-gases” the beans without losing the nutritional value.

Cover the beans with fresh water; bring to a boil; cover; reduce heat to a slow simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Drain the beans and reserve the liquid. Add water to cooking liquid to make a total of 2 quarts. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, sugar, vinegar, mustard, pepper and salt. Then whisk into the liquid along with the tomato paste. Add to the beans and simmer only until tender. Do not cook so long that the beans fall apart.

Be careful to not let the pot get too dry. You may have to add a little water.

Narsai David is the KCBS Food and Wine Editor. He has been a successful restaurateur, chef, TV host, and columnist in the Bay Area spanning four decades.

Re: Idle Chatter

Nope, that does not translate to me, all mine are read, but there are still 2 (*)'s. The only thing that I can think might apply is that the (*)'s indicate that I have posts in those topics. I think I have only posted in 2 and I only see 2 LightBulbs with (*)'s.
UD