Re: SPRING TRAINING 2017!

Guardians turn slick double play in 7th inning

02/24/2024

20h · @CLEGuardians

Johnathan Rodriguez, Juan Brito, and Angel Martinez combine for a nifty double play for the Guardians to keep the score at 2-0 in the 7th.

https://www.mlb.com/guardians/video/gua ... efault-vtp

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Guardians' Stephen Vogt eager for 'fresh start' in spring debut

Associated Press

Feb 24, 2024, 06:42 PM ET

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- New Cleveland Guardians manager Stephen Vogt likened Saturday's spring training opener to a new school year.

"There's something so exciting about the first day," Vogt said before his dugout debut against Cincinnati at Goodyear Ballpark. "It's like the first day of school, you have the new outfit you picked out, haircut, all those things. It's the same feeling. It's a fresh start.

"You just got done working for 4½ months, working for today, and you get to see your hard work pay off for the first time. It's why we do this."

Vogt, 39, is doing this for the first time, taking over for Terry Francona in Cleveland. He is only one season removed from his playing career, which lasted 10 years with six teams. Six of those years were with Oakland, where he made All-Star teams in the two seasons in which he played 100 or more games.

Saturday's Cactus League game didn't produce a win, as the Reds won 4-0 and held the Guardians to seven singles. But Vogt said there were no snafus in the dugout. Ten pitchers worked for Cleveland, with one mid-inning change.

"Everything I thought was pretty clean," Vogt said. "The process of the game went pretty smooth."

Vogt, a 12th-round draft pick by Tampa Bay in 2007, spent most of his career as a backup or platoon catcher, playing some first base, on good teams and bad. All of which figures to be good training for dealing with a myriad of personalities.

Francona was a master of that. The beloved manager known as Tito led Cleveland to six playoff appearances and the 2016 American League pennant in his 11 seasons en route to becoming the franchise's winningest skipper. There's no replacing him, so Vogt will stick to being himself.

"Everyone is their own individual. Tito was absolutely phenomenal and we're all going to miss him," said first baseman Josh Naylor, coming off a season in which he hit .305 with 97 RBIs. "But I think it's important for us to look [ahead]. We have to focus on the now."

It's early, but reviews are positive so far.

"I like a guy who's always happy," closer Emmanuel Clase said. "He's always finding ways to communicate with me and the other players, and he's made it very easy for me to work in camp."

"Awesome. Super high energy guy, loves the game, loves to win," Naylor said of Vogt. "Super thankful for him and excited for what the future holds."

Some of the old hands are still around. Pitching coach Carl Willis and first base coach Sandy Alomar Jr. return to provide some continuity. Another familiar face back in Cleveland is pitcher Carlos Carrasco, who started Saturday's game with a scoreless inning. He competed against Vogt, holding his new boss to a single in 12 at-bats.

"It's been good. I've known him for a long time," Carrasco said. "I'm glad that he's here now."

Carrasco, who turns 37 next month, pitched for Cleveland for 11 years, averaging 15 wins a season between 2015 and '18. He said he was glad to be "home."

"I'm glad that I came back here," said Carrasco, who spent the past three injury-plagued seasons with the New York Mets. "I was so nervous I couldn't feel the ball. I've been playing a long time but I was still so nervous going to the mound."

At this early stage of spring training, emotions are high.

"I'm excited for everybody to be in the dugout," Vogt said. "That's when you bond with your teammates, that's when you talk baseball. There's no phones, there's no distractions. You're watching the game, and you're just talking, getting to know each other. That's what's important about spring training."

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Straw changes routine, adds bulk in hopes of '24 success

Feb 25, 2024 34 minutes ago

Mandy Bell

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Swing changes can be made. Mechanics can be tweaked. Repetitions can help develop better habits. All of these things can lead to improved results at the plate for a hitter. But Myles Straw wanted to do even more.

He took time out of his offseason to visit Guardians hitting coach Chris Valaika in Columbus to make those changes to develop the habits needed to, hopefully, get on base more frequently in 2024. But on his own, he decided to go to a new gym and found a way to put on 10 pounds of muscle.

“Nothing against the guy before, but I feel like definitely the guy that I [worked with] this year had a better routine,” Straw said. “He works with more athletes. So I feel like it was just a good spot. Plesac was there and he kind of showed me that spot. So I got there and it was great. I’ll probably be going there the rest of my career, for sure.”

Straw understands that his job is on the line. Although he signed an extension with Cleveland prior to the 2022 season, his production has been subpar over the last two years. He’s an excellent defender who can cover tremendous ground in center field, but when his average hasn’t reached .240, his OPS hasn’t eclipsed .600 and there hasn’t been more than one homer hit in either of the last two seasons, there needs to be a change.

Only two changes are possible: Straw proves there’s more in his bat than he’s shown, or he’s replaced by someone else. He’ll be looking to prove the former is possible. That’s why more needed to be done than just trying to get his mechanics into a better place. He wanted his body to be able to support this type of change, so he went out and found a way to make that happen.

As the old baseball adage goes, Straw may be in the best shape of his life to fight for his job. Now, he just needs to maintain it.

“Ten pounds, it sounds silly, but for me, 180 to 190 is a big difference. Especially if I can move the same way,” Straw said. “I feel like that speed is still there and I just feel like I added a little bit more power, hopefully. … It’s a lot going through these spring games and having to get your workouts in and all that stuff. It can be pretty tiring. Just got to maintain that and keep going.”

Fry to focus on catching

He was at first, third, catcher, left and right last season, and even was ready to mop up games on the mound when situations became dire. David Fry was the ultimate utility man, and his versatility could benefit him once again in 2024. But his approach to this spring is a little different. As a former catcher who also bounced around defensively, manager Stephen Vogt understands the best way to approach this kind of role: Focus mostly on catching.

“Catching, there’s so much preparation that goes on,” Fry said. “Like getting the relationship with the pitchers, getting them ready for outings and stuff. It’s like, go over to first base, no problem. But if you’re playing first and then it’s like, hey, go over to catch, there’s a lot more that goes into that.”

That was the same explanation Vogt gave on Sunday morning. He wants Fry to be most prepared behind the dish and rely on his natural defensive abilities to handle a transition to any other position without as much practice there. Maybe at some point in the near future, he won’t have to move around as much. But for now, he’s embracing his role as the 26th man.

And yes, that still includes pitching.

“[Pitching coach] Carl [Willis] said we need to work on my velo this season,” Fry joked.

<
-- Bob Feller

How J-Ram is helping De Los Santos make roster case

Feb 25, 2024 2:24 PM CST

Mandy Bell

Deyvison De Los Santos isn’t in an easy position. He’s just 20 years old, has yet to play above Double-A and is now suddenly competing for a spot on the Major League roster. Thankfully for him, there’s a guy on the other side of the clubhouse who has some wisdom to share.

More than a decade ago, fellow Dominican Republic native José Ramírez made the jump from Double-A to the Majors. Sure, he had stints in Triple-A in the following few seasons, but he’s well aware of the trials of handling a transition that drastic. He can easily relate to De Los Santos.

Ramírez and De Los Santos share a home country and play the same position. It makes it natural for De Los Santos to want to gravitate toward Ramírez. Oh, and Ramírez just so happens to be one of the best players in the Majors.

“I’m super excited and I feel very lucky to be around a player that I look up to, to be like him at some point in my career,” De Los Santos said through team interpreter Agustin Rivero. “So it’s really exciting to have him around on my team.”

The difference with De Los Santos is that his situation is a little more complex -- at least for the Guardians’ sake. Because he’s a Rule 5 Draft pick, if he doesn’t make the Opening Day roster, he must be offered back to the D-backs. Cleveland sees something in De Los Santos, especially when it comes to his power potential, so the club is keen on finding a way to keep him in the organization. It’ll be up to him to prove he can handle it.

“It’s been a hustle to compete to get here,” De Los Santos said. “So for me, it’s no pressure. I’m just excited to have the opportunity and to have it so close.”

Third base is taken by Ramírez. First base is taken by Josh Naylor. So, De Los Santos immediately volunteered to practice in the outfield to try to be as versatile and useful as possible. So far, the Guardians have been pleased with the results.

“He carries himself a lot older than 20,” Guardians manager Stephen Vogt said. “He’s mature. He’s confident. Obviously, the power is real. We’ve seen it in batting practice, we’ve also seen it in live BPs. And he’s also working hard at his defense -- I think that’s something I need to give credit to: we’re throwing him all over the diamond.”

No, De Los Santos didn’t make a grand statement in the Cactus League opener on Saturday. He went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts. But this is only the beginning. The Guardians have seen how hard he’s worked behind the scenes. They’ve seen him study Ramírez’s swing and make similar adjustments to his own. They’ve seen one of the best players in the game throw his arm around the team’s No. 12 prospect, as ranked by MLB Pipeline, and try to steer him in the right direction.

There are many hurdles ahead of him to make this dream become a reality, but there are also plenty of reasons to believe it’s possible.

“I feel it’s all about his talent, his desire to play,” Ramírez said through Rivero. “And I feel he’s ready to compete.”

<
-- Bob Feller

Cleveland up 8-3 end of 6 1/2. Just put up a 5 spot in the 7th.

Batting
2B Arias, G (1, Snead).
HR Brennan (1, 4th inning off Snead, 0 on, 0 out); Hedges (1, 4th inning off Snead, 1 on, 0 out); Martínez (1, 7th inning off Laws, 1 on, 2 out).
TB Arias, G 2; Brennan 4; De Los Santos; Hedges 4; Lavastida; Manzardo 2; Martínez 4; Rodriguez, Jo; Schneemann.
RBI Brennan (1); Hedges 2 (2); Martínez 2 (2); Rodriguez, Jo 2 (2); Schneemann (1).

2-out RBI Schneemann; Martínez 2; Rodriguez, Jo 2.
Runners left in scoring position, 2 out Berglund; Freeman, T.
GIDP Noel.
Team RISP 3-for-6.
Team LOB 3.
Baserunning
SB Lavastida (1, 2nd base off Poppen/Ford, H).
Fielding
DP (Manzardo-Arias, G-Manzardo).

Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Tyler Zuber replaces Eli Morgan.

<

Top 7th

Lineout
Bryan Lavastida lines out to center fielder Jonatan Clase. 3 outs
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Blas Castano replaces Holden Laws.
Mound Visit.
Bases empty

CLE 8,
SEA 3

Home Run
Angel Martinez homers (1) on a fly ball to left center field. Johnathan Rodriguez scores.
Rodriguez on 1st

CLE 6,
SEA 3

Single
Johnathan Rodriguez singles on a line drive to center fielder Jonatan Clase. Juan Brito scores. Daniel Schneemann scores.
Schneemann on 2nd, Brito on 3rd

CLE 4,
SEA 3

Single
Daniel Schneemann singles on a line drive to right fielder Isiah Gilliam. Micah Pries scores. Juan Brito to 3rd. Daniel Schneemann to 2nd.

Strikeout
Chase DeLauter strikes out swinging. 2 outs
Brito on 1st, Pries on 2nd

Walk
Juan Brito walks. Micah Pries to 2nd.
Pries on 1st

Forceout
Micah Pries grounds into a force out, first baseman Rangel Ravelo to shortstop Leo Rivas. Deyvison De Los Santos out at 2nd. Micah Pries to 1st. 1 out
De Los Santos on 1st

Single
Deyvison De Los Santos singles on a ground ball to first baseman Rangel Ravelo.
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Holden Laws replaces Sean Poppen.
Defensive Switch
Michael Papierski remains in the game as the designated hitter.

Bottom 6th

Flyout
Rangel Ravelo flies out sharply to center fielder Chase DeLauter. 3 outs

Strikeout
Harry Ford strikes out swinging. 2 outs

Strikeout
Michael Papierski called out on strikes. 1 out
Offensive Substitution
Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Michael Papierski replaces Mitch Haniger.
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Eli Morgan replaces Nick Sandlin.
Defensive Switch
Michael Berglund remains in the game as the designated hitter.

Top 6th

Strikeout
Michael Berglund called out on strikes. 3 outs
Lavastida on 2nd
Stolen Base 2B
Bryan Lavastida steals (1) 2nd base.
Offensive Substitution
Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Michael Berglund replaces David Fry.
Lavastida on 1st

Single
Bryan Lavastida singles on a line drive to center fielder Jonatan Clase.

Strikeout
Angel Martinez strikes out on a foul tip. 2 outs

Lineout
Johnathan Rodriguez lines out to right fielder Isiah Gilliam. 1 out
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Sean Poppen replaces Brett de Geus.
Defensive Sub
Defensive Substitution: Cole Tucker replaces third baseman Michael Chavis, batting 9th, playing third base.
Defensive Substitution: Jonatan Clase replaces center fielder Samad Taylor, batting 8th, playing center field.

Bottom 5th

Groundout
Kaden Polcovich grounds out, shortstop Angel Martinez to first baseman Deyvison De Los Santos. 3 outs

Pop Out
Michael Chavis pops out to first baseman Deyvison De Los Santos in foul territory. 2 outs

Flyout
Samad Taylor flies out to left fielder Micah Pries. 1 out
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Nick Sandlin replaces Sam Hentges.
Defensive Sub
Defensive Substitution: Juan Brito replaces second baseman Jose Tena, batting 9th, playing second base.
Defensive Substitution: Micah Pries replaces left fielder Jhonkensy Noel, batting 8th, playing left field.
Defensive Substitution: Deyvison De Los Santos replaces first baseman Kyle Manzardo, batting 7th, playing first base.
Defensive Substitution: Bryan Lavastida replaces catcher Austin Hedges, batting 5th, playing catcher.
Defensive Substitution: Angel Martinez replaces shortstop Gabriel Arias, batting 4th, playing shortstop.
Defensive Substitution: Johnathan Rodriguez replaces right fielder Will Brennan, batting 3rd, playing right field.
Defensive Substitution: Daniel Schneemann replaces third baseman Tyler Freeman, batting 2nd, playing third base.
Defensive Substitution: Chase DeLauter replaces center fielder Estevan Florial, batting 1st, playing center field.

Top 5th

Strikeout
Tyler Freeman strikes out swinging. 3 outs

Groundout
Estevan Florial grounds out, pitcher Brett de Geus to first baseman Rangel Ravelo. 2 outs

Groundout
Jose Tena grounds out, shortstop Leo Rivas to first baseman Rangel Ravelo. 1 out
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Brett de Geus replaces Kirby Snead.
Defensive Sub
Defensive Substitution: Spencer Packard replaces left fielder Sam Haggerty, batting 7th, playing left field.
Defensive Substitution: Leo Rivas replaces shortstop Dylan Moore, batting 6th, playing shortstop.
Defensive Switch
Isiah Gilliam remains in the game as the right fielder.
Defensive Sub
Defensive Substitution: Rangel Ravelo replaces first baseman Luke Raley, batting 4th, playing first base.
Defensive Substitution: Harry Ford replaces catcher Cal Raleigh, batting 3rd, playing catcher.
Defensive Substitution: Kaden Polcovich replaces second baseman Ryan Bliss, batting 1st, playing second base.

Bottom 4th

Strikeout
Sam Haggerty called out on strikes. 3 outs
Moore on 1st

CLE 3,
SEA 3

Single
Dylan Moore singles on a line drive to left fielder Jhonkensy Noel. Isiah Gilliam scores.
Offensive Substitution
Offensive Substitution: Pinch-runner Isiah Gilliam replaces Dominic Canzone.
Canzone on 2nd

CLE 3,
SEA 2

Double
Dominic Canzone doubles (1) on a fly ball to right fielder Will Brennan. Cal Raleigh scores.
Raleigh on 3rd
Caught Stealing 2B
Luke Raley caught stealing 2nd base, catcher Austin Hedges to shortstop Gabriel Arias. 2 outs
Raley on 1st, Raleigh on 3rd

Single
Luke Raley singles on a ground ball to center fielder Estevan Florial. Cal Raleigh to 3rd.
Raleigh on 1st

Walk
Cal Raleigh walks.

Groundout
Mitch Haniger grounds out, shortstop Gabriel Arias to first baseman Kyle Manzardo. 1 out
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Sam Hentges replaces Scott Barlow.

Top 4th

Grounded Into DP
Jhonkensy Noel grounds into a double play, shortstop Dylan Moore to second baseman Ryan Bliss to first baseman Luke Raley. Kyle Manzardo out at 2nd. Jhonkensy Noel out at 1st. 3 outs
Manzardo on 1st

Single
Kyle Manzardo singles on a line drive to center fielder Samad Taylor.

Lineout
David Fry lines out to right fielder Dominic Canzone. 1 out
Bases empty

CLE 3,
SEA 1

Home Run
Austin Hedges homers (1) on a fly ball to left center field. Gabriel Arias scores.
Arias on 2nd

Double
Gabriel Arias doubles (1) on a ground ball to right fielder Dominic Canzone.
Bases empty

CLE 1,
SEA 1

Home Run
Will Brennan homers (1) on a fly ball to right field.
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Kirby Snead replaces Cody Bolton.

Bottom 3rd

Strikeout
Ryan Bliss strikes out swinging. 3 outs

Strikeout
Michael Chavis called out on strikes. 2 outs

Flyout
Samad Taylor flies out to center fielder Estevan Florial. 1 out
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Scott Barlow replaces Connor Gillispie.

Top 3rd

Lineout
Tyler Freeman lines out to right fielder Dominic Canzone. 3 outs
Florial on 1st, Manzardo on 2nd

Walk
Estevan Florial walks.
Manzardo on 2nd
Wild Pitch
Wild pitch by pitcher Cody Bolton. Kyle Manzardo to 2nd.

Strikeout
Jose Tena strikes out swinging. 2 outs

Strikeout
Jhonkensy Noel strikes out swinging. 1 out
Manzardo on 1st

Single
Kyle Manzardo singles on a line drive to right fielder Dominic Canzone.
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Cody Bolton replaces Jhonathan Diaz.

Bottom 2nd

Grounded Into DP
Sam Haggerty grounds into a double play, first baseman Kyle Manzardo to shortstop Gabriel Arias to first baseman Kyle Manzardo. Dylan Moore out at 2nd. Sam Haggerty out at 1st. 3 outs
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Connor Gillispie replaces Tyler Beede.
Mound Visit.
Moore on 1st

Walk
Dylan Moore walks.

Strikeout
Dominic Canzone called out on strikes. 1 out

Top 2nd

Lineout
David Fry lines out to center fielder Samad Taylor. 3 outs

Strikeout
Austin Hedges strikes out swinging. 2 outs

Strikeout
Gabriel Arias strikes out swinging. 1 out

Bottom 1st

Groundout
Luke Raley grounds out, second baseman Jose Tena to first baseman Kyle Manzardo. 3 outs

Groundout
Cal Raleigh grounds out softly, pitcher Tyler Beede to first baseman Kyle Manzardo. 2 outs
Bases empty

CLE 0,
SEA 1

Home Run
Mitch Haniger homers (1) on a line drive to left field.

Strikeout
Ryan Bliss strikes out swinging. 1 out

Top 1st

Strikeout
Will Brennan strikes out swinging. 3 outs

Flyout
Tyler Freeman flies out to left fielder Sam Haggerty. 2 outs

Strikeout
Estevan Florial strikes out swinging. 1 out

First Pitch

1:08 pm
Peoria Stadium
-- Bob Feller

Batting

2B Arias, G (1, Snead).
HR Brennan (1, 4th inning off Snead, 0 on, 0 out); Hedges (1, 4th inning off Snead, 1 on, 0 out); Martínez (1, 7th inning off Laws, 1 on, 2 out).
TB Arias, G 2; Brennan 4; De Los Santos; DeLauter; Hedges 4; Lavastida; Manzardo 2; Martínez 4; Rodriguez, Jo; Schneemann.
RBI Brennan (1); Hedges 2 (2); Martínez 2 (2); Rodriguez, Jo 2 (2); Schneemann (1).
2-out RBI Schneemann; Martínez 2; Rodriguez, Jo 2.
Runners left in scoring position, 2 out Berglund; Freeman, T.
GIDP Noel; Schneemann.
Team RISP 3-for-6.
Team LOB 3.

Baserunning

SB Lavastida (1, 2nd base off Poppen/Ford, H).
CS De Los Santos (1, 2nd base by Castano, B/Ford, H).

Fielding

DP (Manzardo-Arias, G-Manzardo).

<

FInal

CLE 8,
SEA 4

Bottom 9th

Flyout
Jonatan Clase flies out to right fielder Johnathan Rodriguez. 3 outs
In play, out(s)

Groundout
Spencer Packard grounds out, second baseman Kahlil Watson to first baseman Deyvison De Los Santos. 2 outs

Flyout
Leo Rivas flies out to right fielder Johnathan Rodriguez. 1 out
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Juan Zapata replaces Jack Leftwich.
Defensive Switch
Kahlil Watson remains in the game as the second baseman.

Top 9th

Grounded Into DP
Daniel Schneemann grounds into a double play, shortstop Leo Rivas to first baseman Rangel Ravelo. Chase DeLauter out at 2nd. Daniel Schneemann out at 1st. 3 outs
DeLauter on 1st

Single
Chase DeLauter singles on a line drive to right fielder Isiah Gilliam.

Groundout
Kahlil Watson grounds out, third baseman Cole Tucker to first baseman Rangel Ravelo. 1 out
Offensive Substitution
Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Kahlil Watson replaces Juan Brito.
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Nick Davila replaces Blas Castano.

Bottom 8th

Groundout
Isiah Gilliam grounds out, shortstop Angel Martinez to first baseman Deyvison De Los Santos. 3 outs

Strikeout
Rangel Ravelo called out on strikes. 2 outs

Groundout
Harry Ford grounds out, second baseman Juan Brito to first baseman Deyvison De Los Santos. 1 out
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Jack Leftwich replaces Jordan Jones.

Top 8th

Flyout
Micah Pries flies out to center fielder Jonatan Clase. 3 outs
Bases empty
Caught Stealing 2B
Deyvison De Los Santos caught stealing 2nd base, catcher Harry Ford to shortstop Leo Rivas. 2 outs
De Los Santos on 1st

Field Error
Deyvison De Los Santos reaches on a fielding error by shortstop Leo Rivas.

Strikeout
Michael Berglund strikes out swinging. 1 out

Bottom 7th

Flyout
Michael Papierski flies out to left fielder Micah Pries. 3 outs
Polcovich on 1st, Tucker on 2nd, Packard on 3rd

Walk
Kaden Polcovich walks. Spencer Packard to 3rd. Cole Tucker to 2nd.
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Jordan Jones replaces Tyler Zuber.
Mound Visit.
Tucker on 1st, Packard on 2nd

Walk
Cole Tucker walks.
Packard on 2nd

CLE 8,
SEA 4

Sac Fly
Jonatan Clase out on a sacrifice fly to shortstop Angel Martinez. Isiah Gilliam scores. 2 outs
Packard on 2nd, Gilliam on 3rd

Double
Spencer Packard doubles (1) on a ground ball to right fielder Johnathan Rodriguez. Isiah Gilliam to 3rd.

Strikeout
Leo Rivas called out on strikes. 1 out
Gilliam on 1st

Walk
Isiah Gilliam walks.
Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Tyler Zuber replaces Eli Morgan.

<
-- Bob Feller

AUSTIN HEDGES HOMER

https://www.mlb.com/guardians/video/aus ... efault-vtp

<

WILL BRENNAN HOMER

https://www.mlb.com/guardians/video/wil ... efault-vtp

<

ANGEL MARTNEZ HOMER

https://files.mastodon.social/cache/med ... 8929bb.mp4

<
-- Bob Feller

Guardians Make A Bold Jose Ramirez Claim

By Andres Chavez February 25, 2024

MLB is populated with lots of quality third basemen.

The hot corner requires cat-like reflexes, a solid throwing arm, and speed of mind; not to mention an obvious offensive bar that these athletes need to clear in order to be considered elite.

Nolan Arenado, Matt Chapman, Austin Riley, Manny Machado, Rafael Devers, Alex Bregman… the names are plentiful.

However, the Cleveland Guardians claim they have the best third baseman in the league in Jose Ramirez.

And they might have a valid point.

Ramirez has been performing at the highest level, without any interruptions or subpar seasons, since 2016.

He has been doing it for a long time.

However, if you are looking for more recent performance, the numbers are also in his favor.

Since 2021, no third baseman in baseball has more Wins Above Replacement (WAR, FanGraphs version) than J-Ram.

He checks in at the top spot with 18.1 WAR over that span covering the last three seasons.

Riley, a budding star from the Atlanta Braves, is a distant second with 15.6 WAR.

Ramirez, who recently extended his contract with the Guardians and will probably be the face of the franchise for years to come, is still in prime form even though he is already 31.

Last year, he hit .282/.356/.475 with 24 home runs, 28 stolen bases, 36 doubles, and a .831 OPS.

He is an extra-base hit machine and his athleticism and speed also allow him to steal bases and play good defense.

In other words, Ramirez has no clear weaknesses in his game, and the “best third baseman in baseball” title suits him to perfection.

<
-- Bob Feller

A quote from a Seattle writer commenting on the game and their pitching.
Putting their feet in the opposite direction were Laws (who is not competing for a roster spot realistically yet) and LHP Kirby Snead, who gave up a pair of tanks in the fourth inning, one of which came to Austin Hedges which is a bit like striking out against your six year old child not on purpose.

FINAL
Guardians (2 - 1) 7 - 4 Padres (1 - 4)

<

2B Kwan (1, Musgrove); Straw (1, Snelling); Planez (1, De Los Santos, E).
HR Fry (1, 1st inning off Musgrove, 1 on, 2 out); Tolentino (1, 6th inning off Watson, 1 on, 2 out).
TB Freeman, T; Fry 4; Kwan 2; Laureano; Manzardo; Naylor, J 2; Planez 2; Straw 2; Tolentino 5.
RBI Fry 2 (2); Naylor, J 2 (2); Planez (1); Tolentino 2 (2).
2-out RBI Fry 2; Tolentino 2.
Runners left in scoring position, 2 out Schneemann; Gimenez.
GIDP Laureano.
Team RISP 2-for-6.
Team LOB 4.

Baserunning
CS Naylor, J (1, 3rd base by Musgrove/Campusano).

Fielding
PB Fry (1).
DP(Freeman, T-Naylor, J).

<

Scoring
Top 1st

Single
Josh Naylor singles on a line drive to right fielder Fernando Tatis Jr. Steven Kwan scores. Myles Straw scores.
CLE 2,SD 0

Home Run
David Fry homers (1) on a fly ball to left center field. Ramon Laureano scores.
CLE 4,SD 0

Bottom 4th

Walk
Jakob Marsee walks. Manny Machado scores. Ha-Seong Kim to 3rd. Luis Campusano to 2nd.
CLE 4,SD 1

Bottom 5th

Single
Jake Cronenworth singles on a line drive to left fielder Connor Kokx. Wyatt Hoffman scores.
CLE 4,SD 2

Top 6th

Home Run
Milan Tolentino homers (1) on a fly ball to right center field. Alexfri Planez scores.
CLE 6,SD 2

Top 8th

Double
Alexfri Planez doubles (1) on a line drive to center fielder Jakob Marsee. Kyle Manzardo scores.
CLE 7,SD 2

Bottom 8th

Home Run
Cal Mitchell homers (1) on a fly ball to right center field.
CLE 7,SD 3

Bottom 9th

Sac Fly
Cal Mitchell out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Petey Halpin. Graham Pauley scores. 2 outs
CLE 7,SD 4

<
-- Bob Feller

Myles Straw makes a sensational catch in center field | 02/26/2024

https://www.mlb.com/guardians/video/myl ... efault-vtp

<

Josh Naylor drives home two runs in the 1st inning | 02/26/2024

https://www.mlb.com/guardians/video/jos ... efault-vtp

<

David Fry rips a two-run homer in the 1st inning | 02/26/2024

https://www.mlb.com/guardians/video/dav ... efault-vtp

<
-- Bob Feller

Guardians Want David Fry To 'Solely Focus On Catching' At Start Of Camp

David Fry made a name for himself as a super-utility player, but the Cleveland Guardians want him to focus on one position at the start of spring training.

TOMMY WILD Feb 26, 2024 1 HOUR AGO

Versatility is a great thing to have. Stephen Vogt made it clear to the Cleveland Guardians' younger players that flexibility is the easiest path to playing time. However, Vogt wants David Fry to take a different approach as he ramps up for the season.

"Right now, we talked to David, we want him solely focus on catching to improve and get a lot of reps there," said Vogt.

"When you're a utility player who catches, a lot of times that position needs close attention to detail. So, right now the plan with David is to keep him doing catching reps every single day and then as we go through camp, work him into the other positions we need to. But, right now, the focus is on him primarily catching."

This doesn't mean that Fry won't appear at other positions during spring training or the regular season and Cleveland's skipper admits this. Vogt, who as a major league catcher for 10 years, believes it's easier to transition to positions such as first base or the outfield after rather than the the other way around.

The fact that Fry is spending so much time in his preparation as a catcher may give fans a preview of how Vogt plans on using him during the season. Cleveland appears to be ready to carry three catchers (Bo Naylor and Austin Hedges being the others) setting up Fry to be a pinch hitter late in games against left-handed pitchers with the occasional start here and there.

Fry focusing on catching at this point in camp also allows Vogt and the front office to get other looks at players at first base and the outfield. It's a win-win for both sides.

Fry's bat could be a useful tool for the Guardians whether he's a substitute or in the starting lineup. On the same day that Vogt made these comments on where he wants David to focus on defensively, Fry smoked a two-run homer in the team's spring training game.

<
-- Bob Feller

Top Notes From the Cleveland Guardians ZiPS Projections for 2024

Originally posted on Just Baseball | By Tim Kelly | Last updated 2/26/24

A new era will start at Progressive Field in 2024, with former All-Star catcher Stephen Vogt taking over as the manager for the Cleveland Guardians.

The 39-year-old will have an almost impossible act to follow, as he’ll succeed future Hall of Famer Terry Francona. While Cleveland fell one game short of winning the World Series in 2016, the franchise now known as the Guardians did just about everything else during Francona’s 11 seasons as skipper.

Francona won the AL Manager of the Year on three occasions in Cleveland(2013, 2016 and 2022), leading the team to six playoff appearances and a pennant in more than a decade at the helm. In total, Cleveland went 921-757 (.549) with Francona as their manager, despite being consistently outspent by other AL powers.

We’re not saying Vogt won’t end up being an excellent manager in his own right, it’s just hard to project that right now given that he was still an active player two years ago and his only previous coaching experience came as the bullpen and quality control coach with the Seattle Mariners a year ago.

Therefore, it’s difficult to know what to make of the Guardians as a whole in 2024, who went 76-86 in Francona’s final season.

Luckily, there are tools available like ZiPS to help project what the Guardians may look like this upcoming campaign.

For those unfamiliar, MLB.com offers this synopsis of what ZiPS aims to do.
“ZiPS uses growth and decline curves based on player type to find trends. It then factors those trends into the past performance of those players to come up with projections…The system uses statistics from the previous four years for players from ages 24-38, and it weights more recent seasons heavier. For younger or older players, it uses weighted statistics from only the previous three years. The system also factors velocities, injury data and play-by-play data into its equations.”
ound interesting? Let’s do a deep dive on the 2024 Guardians ZiPS projections.

Key Position Player Takeaways

ZiPS believes that José Ramírez will continue building his case for Cooperstown, projecting that he’ll homer 26 times, drive in 95 runs, steal 22 bases and post a 5.1 fWAR this upcoming season.

Andrés Giménez is projected to find a happy medium between his last two seasons, with ZiPS believing he’ll slash .272/.339/.424 with what would be a career-high 71 RBIs. Giménez will post a 4.7 fWAR in 2024, according to ZiPS.

ZiPS believes Josh Naylor will drive in 79 runs this season, which would mark the third consecutive season he’s posted at least 79 RBIs. Naylor set a new career-high with 97 RBIs in 2023.

Perhaps Steven Kwan won’t ever top the 4.5 fWAR he posted in his rookie season of 2022, but ZiPS projects a strong third season nonetheless for the 26-year-old outfielder: .274 batting average, 64 walks and a 2.9 fWAR.

Catcher Bo Naylor is probably never going to hit for a high average (ZiPS has him projected to hit .226 in 2024), but the system believes he’ll homer 16 times, drive 62 runs and post a .724 OPS across 488 plate appearances this season.

Non-roster invitee Kyle Manzardo is currently penciled in as the starting first baseman by Roster Resource. Acquired in a trade with the Tampa Bay Rays last July, the former second-round pick is projected to slash .243/.330/.435 with 14 home runs, 47 RBIs and a .770 OPS in 95 games for Cleveland this season.

Key Pitching Staff Takeaways

Starting Pitchers

What will former AL Cy Young Award winner Shane Bieber — who has been limited by injuries in two of the last three seasons — do in his contract year? ZiPS projects he’ll post a 3.52 ERA and 151 strikeouts over 148 innings.

A right elbow sprain limited Triston McKenzie to just 16 innings pitched a season ago after a breakout campaign in 2022. The good news for the Guards is that ZiPS is projecting a bounce-back season for McKenzie: 10-8 with a 3.54 ERA and 3.81 FIP over 155 innings.

Meanwhile, the system thinks Tanner Bibee will be a solid middle-of-the-rotation arm, posting a 3.81 ERA and 4.01 FIP across 148 innings. That type of production — particularly from someone who isn’t even arbitration-eligible yet — is very valuable, even if it wouldn’t represent a continued ascension after a breakout season from the 24-year-old in 2023.

ZiPS believes that all five projected starters for the Guardians — the three mentioned above, along with Logan Allen and Gavin Williams — will log at least 130 innings pitched this season.

Relief Pitchers

Emmanuel Clase was arguably the best reliever in the sport between 2021 and 2022, but had some mortal moments a year ago. He still had a league-leading 44 saves, but also blew 12 save opportunities. Additionally, Clase’s ERA rose from the minuscule 1.36 in 2022 to 3.22 in 2023. In 2024, ZiPS believes Clase will record 33 saves, while posting a 2.88 ERA and 3.09 FIP over 73 games.

Scott Barlow was much better in 25 games for the San Diego Padres (3.07 ERA, 3.15 FIP) a year ago than he had been in 38 appearances for the Kansas City Royals (5.35 ERA, 3.62 FIP) earlier in the season. What can the Guardians — who acquired him in a trade from the Padres in November — expect from Barlow in his first season with the team? ZiPS believes the 31-year-old will appear in 61 games this season, posting a 3.55 ERA and 0.7 fWAR.

Sam Hentges is the only lefty likely to be in Cleveland’s Opening Day bullpen, and ZiPS believes he’ll be called upon to pitch 59 times this season, posting a 3.74 FIP over 57 innings.

Closing Thoughts

ZiPS projects that the Guardians and Minnesota Twins will finish in a tie atop the AL Central at 85-77. Of course, that assumes there won’t be any key in-season subtractions, which probably isn’t something that can be taken for granted in Cleveland.

How much better would Cleveland’s lineup look if they had held onto Josh Bell last summer? Sure, he struggled in 97 games with the Guardians, hitting .233 with a .701 OPS. But after a midseason trade to the Miami Marlins, Bell hit .270 with an .818 OPS. Jean Segura never played a game for the Guardians, and middle infielder Kahlil Watson is the organization’s No. 10 prospect. Was that return worth having such a short leash on Bell for?

Will president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti have the stomach to trade away Bieber this summer if they don’t feel like re-signing him is going to happen but the Guardians are still in playoff contention? Certainly, it wouldn’t be popular in the clubhouse, but that didn’t seem to affect how the team operated last summer, when they traded away both Bell and RHP Aaron Civale.

You can essentially pose the same question about Clase. The difference here is that Bieber can become a free agent after the 2024 season, and if he’s healthy this year, it would burn to lose him for just draft compensation next winter. Clase is due to make just $13 million over the next three seasons, with affordable club options for 2027 and 2028. Trading him away this summer, particularly if Cleveland is contending, will be a harder sell.

Perhaps the Guardians aren’t capable of spending at the same level as the New York Yankees. But Spotrac currently projects that their payroll will be at $84 million in 2024, more than $200 million less than the Yankees. The gap isn’t that big. Guardians fans deserve ownership that will spend to put a World Series contender on the field.

<
-- Bob Feller

Cleveland Guardians Spring Training Prospect Report 2/25/24

JUSTIN LADA

FEB 26

Game 2 - Cleveland Guardians 8, Seattle Mariners 4

STARTERS

Kyle Manzardo (1B): 2-2 - Manzardo didn’t exactly scorch the ball but he had hits both times he stepped to the plate, a pair of singles to centerfield in his first Cactus League action.

Jhonkensy Noel (LF): 0-2, K - Noel has seen a few plate appearances here in the first two games already, the first day at 1B and game two in LF. He looked OK in LF but he’s not been able to make much of an impact offensively yet.

Jose Tena (2B): 0-2 - Tena has also played twice in the first games without much to speak for yet.

RESERVES WHO ALSO GOT A HIT

Chase DeLauter (CF): 1-2 - DeLauter K’d pretty badly against a LHP on breaking stuff, possibly showing the issues of his swing and firing his hips early, pulling away on breaking stuff. It’s only Feb. 26 and it was his first game action, so there are some caveats here but it its something evaluators notice and are worried about.

Daniel Schneeman (3B): 1-2, RBI

Johnathan Rodriguez (RF): 1-2, 2 RBI - Rodriguez got ABs in the first two games over the weekend already.

Angel Martinez (SS): 1-2, HR, 2 RBI - Martinez made a pair of nice plays at SS in this one and hit a homer as a left handed batter. A good early showing for him after a down year in 2023.

Deyvison De Los Santos (1B): 1-2 - After two K’s in his first game, De Los Santos came in as a reserve in game two and collected his first hit. He also tried to steal a base and was shut down at second by a great throw from Mariners top prospect Harry Ford.

Bryan Lavastida (C): 1-2, SB - Lavastida relieved starter Austin Hedges and singled, then stole a base.

OTHER NOTABLE RESERVE

Juan Brito (2B): 0-0, BB - Walk in his only plate appearance in his second action of the spring.

ALSO PLAYED

Micheal Berglund (DH): 0-2, 2K

Micah Pries (LF): 0-2, R

Kahlil Watson (2B): 0-1

RELIEVERS

Jordan Jones: 0.1 IP, BB

Jack Leftwich: IP, K

Juan Zapata: IP

DRESSED BUT DID NOT PLAY

RHP Trenton Denholm

RHP Davis Sharpe

C Joe Donovan

OF Connor Kokx

<
-- Bob Feller