Re: Winter/Fall/Latin/Asian Ball

Licey Tigers announce reinforcements

"The fans are our greatest asset. This year we will have a more competitive team for the fans who continue to support us, "said team vice president, Miguel Guerra. Licey was in the basement the last tournament, but after the draft for newcomers held this year in addition to several contracts that are expected to be signed in the coming days, we hope to return to the top. Licey GM Fernando Ravelo said some of the reinforcements will be on hand that will wear the indigo from October 14 when the tournament starts 2011-12.

"We have agreement with Jerad Head and Chris Marrero, we have also talked to Cuban Yadel Marti, who reinforced Licey last year and also have had talks with Jerry Sands," Ravelo said in talking with him today. Head is a 28 year old outfielder, who is batting .280 with 23 homers and 69 RBI in AAA branch of the Cleveland Indians.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Aguilas Cibaenas pick seven of the top 25 U.S. baseball rookies

The draft was classified as successful by the president of the organization , Winston Chilote Llenas , who was accompanied by the manager Felix Fermin , the vice-president Quilvio Hernandez, Luichy Sanchez , Edgar Mercedes, Nelson Silverio and Tomás Jiménez , executives of the club.

The seven rookies are Carlos Martinez , number 3 of the organization Cardinals St. Louis , Yordano Ventura, # 12, in Royal , Felix Sterling, # 13, in Cleveland, Daniel Santana, # 20 in the Twins , Oscar Taveras , # 4, the Cardinals of St. Louis , Orlando Calixte , # 24 of the Royals Kansas City and Michael Celestino , # number 29 of the Boston Red Sox.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Aguilas Cibaenas pick seven of the top 25 U.S. baseball rookies

That is a stunningly inaccurate headline. The 7 players noted are rated among the 25 best prospects on their teams in pre-2011 by BA. Actually, the prospect ratings shown indicate only 6 were among their team's Top 25. More accurate might be:

Aguilas Cibaenas picks 7 of the top 900 minor league prospects

Civ:

Edward Salcedo is 19 years old. He played a half season in 2010 for the Rome Braves. He's repeating that level. This was his first full season as a pro. Between 16 and 18, the fiasco over his age interrupted his progress as he was not able to play any kind of organized ball because of the age concerns. That was a shame. He could have been special.
-- Bob Feller

Stunning indeed. I didn't have time to verify the accuracy of that report.
-- Bob Feller

Luchy Sanchez, board member of the Cibao Eagles, revealed on Thursday that Major League Baseball is "boycotting" the entry of Manny Ramirez to the team Aguilas Cibanans. Sanchez said that Twitter was told that a top executive of a major team will travel to Tampa to meet with an officer of Major League Baseball to prevent Manny Ramirez from playing baseball in the Dominican Republic.

Information from the United States attributed to a source in the majors and picked up by the Dominican media have echoed claims that Ramirez can not participate in the tournament because of the suspension imposed on him.
-- Bob Feller

Manny Ramirez seeks reinstatement

ESPN.com news services

Manny Ramirez, upon learning he will not be able to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic because he's on MLB's inactive list, told ESPNdeportes.com Thursday that he will formally request reinstatement.

Ramirez said that upon reentry, he would serve his 100-game suspension for a second violation of MLB's drug policy.

"I would comply with my pending sanction and I would be available for any major league team," Ramirez told ESPNdeportes.com's Enrique Rojas via telephone from Miami. "I already informed (agent) Scott Boras of my decision to return and begin the process.

"If any team wants to sign me, I would play. If no one does, I would look to play in Japan or any other place. I was not prepared for retirement."

Ramirez cannot serve his suspension until he signs with a major league club.

“I was not prepared for retirement.” -- Manny Ramirez

Ramirez, who retired in April from the Tampa Bay Rays rather than serve the 100-game ban, told his former Dominican Republic winter league team, the Cibao Eagles, that he wanted play again in the league.

Ramirez, who was born in the Dominican capital city of Santo Domingo and grew up in New York's Washington Heights neighborhood, last played in the Dominican winter league during the 1993-94 season with the Eagles.

Rob Manfred, Major League Baseball's executive vice president of labor relations, confirmed Thursday that Ramirez would not be able to play in the Dominican because he's on the inactive list and must first receive permission from commissioner Bud Selig's office.

"Manny Ramirez cannot play for a major or minor league club or any affiliated organization, including a winter league team, without getting the consent of the commissioner,'' Manfred said.

Ramirez, a 12-time All-Star, previously served a 50-game ban in 2009 with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Second-time offenders get double that penalty.

"I'm really interested and enthusiastic about playing baseball [in the Dominican Republic], but I can't control the future,'' Ramirez said via phone Wednesday, adding that he's been training in a batting cage in Miami. "Let's just wait and see what's the outcome of that meeting; it would be really sad if I'm not allowed to play.''

Ramirez retired from the majors with 555 home runs, 1,831 RBIs and a .312 career batting average. But his multiple performance-enhancing drug offenses have cast a major cloud over his Hall of Fame aspirations.

He also is facing criminal prosecution in Florida on charges that he slapped his wife during a recent argument. He told investigators only that he grabbed his wife by the shoulders during an argument and "shrugged" her, causing her to hit her head on the headboard of their bed.

Information from ESPNdeportes.com's Enrique Rojas, ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick and The Associated Press was used in this report.
-- Bob Feller

Luis Valbuena intends to play and entire season, not just a partial season with his winter ball team in Venezuela, the Lara Cardenales.

"I like to play my whole season," said the southpaw slugger of 25 years.

After hitting just .193 in 275 shifts last season with the Cleveland Indians, and his Cardinals average of .228 in 2010-2011, Valbuena had pretty good numbers in Columbus, the AAA team of the tribe. We must mention his .302 average on-base and his average, .372. But besides getting on base, had the ability to connect with force. We denote his 17 homers and 22 doubles, figures that are worth much in the case of a defender of the second bag and shortstop.

The difference for the Venezuelan baseball player, is to take advantage of everything bad that happened in 2010. "Last year was a bad year, very bad. People expected a lot from me, "admitted Valbuena. "It helped me a lot this, to work harder, to keep my head up all the time. It was a lot of learning. You learn from bad things, to avoid making the same mistakes. "Production earned me three calls to the big team this season, but I was not able to play with continuity. I'm hoping I get my chance to show my best game again," said Valbuena, whose average this year in the majors was .205 in 40 innings.

"I go to Venezuela to prepare mentally and physically and get training so that they can make their decision about me next spring. I try to do my job. For now, the only thing I can do. I know that the Indians no longer have the same faith me. The days of a secure job are over. I would say that confidence in me was lost a bit," admitted Valbuena.
-- Bob Feller

Well! Valbuena is still young at 25. He showed some signs of being a capable major league ball player. He's got to improve dramatically this winter to have any chance at all next spring.
-- Bob Feller

MLB to bring all-star series to Taiwan

By Cash Kruth / MLB.com | 09/22/11 2:02 PM ET

A team of Major Leaguers will visit Taiwan this November to play against the Chinese Taipei national team in the 2011 Taiwan All-Star Series, Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association announced Thursday.

The 2011 Taiwan All-Star Series will feature five games from Nov. 2-6 in three different cities. The teams will play in New Taipei City (Nov. 2), Taichung (Nov. 3-4) and Kaohsiung (Nov. 5-6).

MLB and the MLBPA will select the roster and coaching staff, which will be announced in October.

"Major League Baseball is excited to take another important step in showcasing our great game to Taiwan, continuing our objective to bring baseball to fans throughout the world," Commissioner Bud Selig said. "We are pleased that many fine players will represent Major League Baseball when they meet the top talents of Taiwan."

"Major League players are eager to return to Taiwan as part of the 2011 Taiwan All-Star Series, and they look forward to joining their counterparts from the Chinese Taipei national team in helping grow the world-wide popularity of the game they love," MLBPA executive director Michael Weiner said. "The players also want to thank the people of Taiwan for once again welcoming them to their country."

MLB most recently traveled to Taiwan in March 2010 when the Dodgers played a two-game series against the Chinese Professional Baseball League All-Stars.

"The baseball community and all of Taiwan are greatly anticipating this opportunity for our national team to compete against players from Major League Baseball," Chinese Taipei Baseball Association secretary general Richard T.C. Lin said in a statement. "We are delighted that Major League Baseball has returned to Taiwan and we look forward to seeing more games played here in the future."
-- Bob Feller

26 Septiembre 2011, 1:28 PM Aguilas anuncian Melky Cabrera entra a juego en diciembre

It appears as though the Aguilas Cibaenas team is intent on breaking their two year playoff draught.
-- Bob Feller