Re: General Discussion

I could see trading a good haul for a really good hitter. Yes. Gomez isn't a rental either, under control for next year too.

While I wouldn't include one of our top 4 starters for him, cause he is almost 30 and having a down year, I would include Anderson, McCallister, and any minor leaguer at AA or above not named Zimmer.

J.R. wrote:Despite the team's horrible performance, I hope they don't fire Francona. He is not the problem, and has shown that he can get the best out of the players. Unfortunately, the best of several of these players may be in the past.
And in some cases their best isn't really that good.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

As we play our last rites to any dreams of contention in 2015, at least this is interesting:

Todd Paquette ‏@IndiansAccounts 43m43 minutes ago Ohio, USA

Most (H) #Indians Rookie first 40 Games

1) @Lindor12BC 2015 - 38
2) @TheJK_Kid 2011 - 37
3) Michael Brantley 2009 - 35
4) Ray Chapman 1912 - 34
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

I agree on all counts; for a 21 year old he's doing very well; his home run total [4] is probably as much as I would have expected in an entire season. And he knows what's he doing out there. [would have been nice if he could have singled with the bases loaded yesterday; he's 0fer with 3 on base; but that's a team affliction]

The fact that he's only tried to steal once is probably a sign of wisdom: he seems like the kind of player who wants to learn the pitchers before he takes any gambles.

Urshela is of course a far less certain prospect than Lindor but as advertised is another fine fielder. Offensively, hard to tell. His whole approach is way more impressive than Chisenhall. His OPS is a barely adequate 648 which is better than Lonnie's 585 this year, but less than his figure any other season. Again Urshela looks like someone who can learn and improve more than Chis ever did [except for a few weeks and one game in particular in 2014]

I'll give you Brandon Moss, Ryan Raburn and David Murphy. They're not even our worst outfielders. I can't imagine you'd take Bourn or Swisher off our hands. You can give me any three players in AA or lower who are rated among your teams' top 30 prospects excluding middle infielders where we are well stocked. But perhaps I'm asking for too much.

Too bad they can't make trades like in the NBA where among the most valuable trade commodities are guys with overprice contracts who can be released and free up cap room. Or traded in exchange for a trade exception, which I have never understood.