Re: Idle Chatter

Those courses were set up to penalize you for the smallest miss-hit. Tees were pushed back to the tips and from the boxes that made the angle of your tee shot critical. Your game gets tested to the limit. At some point you probably have to hit some variation of every shot in your bag.

Grueling pleasure.

BTW- 275 off the tee was damn good then, still the era of the steel shaft and real woods for the long game.

I believe the new equipment makes the game a stroke or two easier today.
" I am not young enough to know everything."

Usually an errant golf ball to the head nets a spectator a free autograph. For one person, it saved his life.

Last Fourth of July, 25-year-old Chris Logan went to the final round of the AT&T National at the Aronimink Golf Club in Newton Square, Pa. When PGA golfer Sean O'Hair teed off at the 18th hole, his shot went astray and hit Logan in his left temple.

When being checked out by emergency technicians, a doctor asked Logan about a lump below his throat and urged him to get it checked out. The lump turned out to be a malignant tumor on his thyroid -- and the errant golf shot ended up saving his life.

O'Hair and Logan finally met nearly one year later, Tuesday at the Waynesborough Country Club in Paoli, Pa. This time the meeting was under much different circumstances.

"We had a little battle on what to say. He hit me in the head and then helped me out with the cancer diagnosis. So that was pretty funny. He's a really nice guy, glad to finally meet him," Logan told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

O'Hair told the Inquirer that it was "something cool to be involved with."

"You feel bad about hitting him, but yet you feel good that he found out about the cancer, found it early, and got it worked on," he told the newspaper.

Logan is now cancer-free.

Sad to say, I am significantly less racially tolerant this evening. I took the BART train home from San Francisco and got involved in breaking up a "pseudo fight" as a guy pulled a knife on a seemingly innocent bystander. I grabbed his "knife arm" and pulled him to the ground with him falling to the ground on top of me.

And then his pseudo "victim" reached into my pocket as I thought I was containing the knife and protecting "the victim"

He pulled a couple hundred bucks of play money out of my front pocket , and ran.

I'm going back tomorrow to find them.

They are not bright.

But they DO have my money, with their skills.

I wish I could go find them, but of course I'm not. They dashed off the train at a stop in one of the diciest areas of Oakland. I usually keep a BART ticket with excess credit on it so I never have to "add fare" at the station. Last night though I realized I needed more credit so ended up pulling out my cash and of course could easily be seen.

I'm going to our local track tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure I'll win back that pocket lettuce the ghetto boys stole from me.

My real time options last night were to take my soon to be 55 year old (great and for the age and achilles surgery, fast) body into a footrace into "Jungleland" against guys that Jimmy The Greek admired for their "physicality".....or to go into Bernard Goetz mode.

It was a $260 dollar lesson as I quickly did the math and evaluated the circumstances and options to determine to realize the best option was to just let it all go.

I'm pretty sure these two late teen or early 20's punks will be caught up in a drive by or something similar by their "friends and neighbors" sometime soon.

There is a race at the Pleasanton track tomorrow named "The Alamedan." It's a big race for here, a $50,000 stakes race.

There's a local horse running I went to see down South at the Santa Anita Breeder's Cup with my wife three or four years ago. Bold Chieftain. He's about 8 years old now.

He's my sentimental favorite......he's a big horse....but I think I'm gonna angle on wagers with him finishing 2nd.