Re: Draft Folder

BA report on the picks:

21: INDIANS:
Pick: Bradley Zimmer, of, San Francisco
Pick value: $2,008,100
Area Scout: Don Lyle
Pick analysis: Historically, the Indians have valued college players and Zimmer presented the top college position player left on the board.
Scouting report: Zimmer spent his freshman season with the Dons watching his older Kyle deal with the pressure of being a first-round pick. Kyle, a righthander, went fourth overall to the Royals in 2012, and Bradley emerged as a potential first-rounder with a strong sophomore season. That 2013 campaign got better when he earned a spot on USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team and performed well, hitting .300 and leading the team with 11 stolen bases. Zimmer ranks as one of the better athletes in the college hitter class, with a lean 6-foot-5, 205-pound frame, broad shoulders and an extra gear as a runner, grading out as above-average. He has shown plus arm strength as well and looks the part of a right fielder. He’s played plenty of center field in college—which not all scouts are sold he can play—and some scouts see him as a better fit there, mostly because they doubt he has the power to be a regular on a corner. Zimmer has an unorthodox setup that produces line drives and hard contact but little loft power. He’s led off for the Dons this season and profiles better as a two-hole hitter or further down the order, rather than as a middle-of-the-order bat.

31. INDIANS
Pick: Justus Sheffield, lhp, Tullahoma (Tenn.) HS
Pick value: $1,733,000
Area Scout: Chuck Bartlett
Pick analysis: The Indians diverted from their typical preference of drafting college arms at the top of the draft. Sheffield is the first prep arm the organization has drafted in the first round since 2001.
Scouting report: A year after a banner crop of high school pitchers in Tennessee, Sheffield is the consensus top arm, with a considerable gap between him and the second-best prep pitcher in the state. He has been a known entity since he was an underclassman because of his older brother Jordan, a righthander who had Tommy John surgery in the spring of his senior year but otherwise might have been a top-two-round pick in the 2013 draft. Jordan ended up going in the 13th round to the Red Sox and headed to Vanderbilt. The Sheffield brothers starred in the Breakthrough Series, televised on the MLB Network, when Justus was a rising junior, and he ran his fastball up to 93 mph the following spring at the National High School Invitational. While both Sheffields have similar stature, Justus has the benefit of being lefthanded, at a strong, compact 5-foot-10, 196 pounds, and young for his draft class. He offers athleticism, feel for pitching and a four-pitch mix. His fastball typically sits 90-92 mph, touching 94 with some run and sink, and his changeup shows the makings of an above-average offering, as does his curveball. Sheffield has pitchability and is a strike-thrower with the chance for at least average control, potentially better. He has also committed to Vanderbilt, but he’s expected to sign as his talent puts him in the mix for the top two rounds

Apologies if this was posted:

This from ESPN's Keith Law (draft expert) on the Tribe's Draft:

The Cleveland Indians had my favorite Day 1 batch of picks, landing four players I had in the top 50.

They took Brad Zimmer, one of the best college bats in the draft class, who slid to 21; grabbed and have already signed Justus Sheffield, an advanced prep lefty from Tennessee whom area scouts loved, at 31; and took Mike Papi, one of the most patient, advanced hitters in the college crop and a first baseman with emerging power and the tools to play right field, at 38.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

An exciting first day of the draft concluded Thursday night with 74 selections through the first two rounds, including supplemental selections. The third round begins at 1 p.m. Eastern with the Astros’ at pick No. 75.

Here are the 10 best available players from the BA 500, our definitive draft prospects list, at the start of Day 2, with seven coming from the high school ranks and several falling because of signability questions. You can track the best available undrafted players from the BA 500 throughout the draft simply by filtering this list by drafted/undrafted status, or by using this link.

No. 33 Jacob Bukauskas, rhp, Stone Bridge HS, Ashburn, Va.

Bukauskas is one of the hardest-throwing prep pitchers in the draft—sitting 93-96 mph, touching 98 at his best–in a class known for its velocity. He sent a letter to teams late in May asking them not to draft him because of his commitment to North Carolina. If Bukauskas gets drafted at this point, it likely won’t be until after the 10th round, when his selection would not put a portion of a team’s bonus pool at risk.

No. 45 Michael Cederoth, rhp, San Diego State

Cederoth is the highest-ranked college player left on the board. He has premium stuff, with a fastball that can sit 94-97 mph and touch 100. His role has changed from reliever to starter, then back to the pen, where he probably fits long-term. His control (4.9 walks per nine) remains an issue.

No. 48 Milton Ramos, ss, American Heritage HS, Hialeah Gardens, Fla.

Ramos is the premier defensive shortstop in a class that’s short on true up-the-middle profiles. He has plus speed, has drawn comparisons to Alcides Escobar and is committed to Florida International.

No. 53 Carson Sands, lhp, North Florida Christian HS, Tallahassee, Fla.

Sands, a Florida State commit, improved significantly as a senior, showing increased velocity, feel for pitching and two offspeed pitches that show at least average potential. After sitting 90-92 mph and touching 95 down the stretch, he showed reduced velocity in his final appearance of the spring at the Florida high school all-star event in Sebring, at 88-91 mph.

No. 57 Mac Marshall, lhp, Parkview HS, Lilburn, Ga.

Marshall, who has a curveball and changeup that show above-average potential, showed reduced velocity toward the end of the season, sitting in the high 80s and touching 91-92 mph in some starts. He is considered a tough sign away from his Louisiana State commitment.

No. 59 Matthew Railey, of, North Florida Christian HS, Tallahassee, Fla.

Railey offers a pure lefthanded stroke, natural hitting ability and at least average power potential. Although he is a plus runner in the 60, some expect him to move to a corner outfield spot, and his below-average arm will play better in left. He is committed to Florida State.

No. 61 Brett Graves, rhp, Missouri

The second-highest-ranked college player left on the board, Graves is an athletic strike-thrower (1.8 walks per nine) with a fastball that sits in the low 90s with life, touching 95, and a curveball that shows above-average potential.

No. 62 Jakson Reetz, c, Norris HS, Firth, Neb.

Reetz is the top-ranked prep catcher remaining, in a deep position for this draft. The Nebraska commit has a high-intensity game with hitting ability, athleticism and an above-average arm behind the plate.

No. 63 Josh Morgan, ss, Orange (Calif.) Lutheran HS

The UCLA commit is an instinctive player with passion for the game and a chance to remain at shortstop, with smooth actions and soft hands. He has a contact-oriented righthanded stroke with a chance to hit, while offering average or slightly better speed and arm strength.

No. 66 Chris Oliver, rhp, Arkansas

Oliver has some of the best velocity from the college ranks, sitting 93-95 mph and touching 97 with downhill plane. His slider shows plus potential. His statistical performance has not matched his raw ability in his first year as a starter, as he struck out 5.7 per nine with a 1.6 strikeout-walk ratio.

Bradley Zimmer's reaction upon hearing he was selected by the Indians (Photo: University or San Francisco)

2014 MLB Draft: First day thoughts and more

By Tony Lastoria

June 6, 2014

Follow on Twitter

Share via: Share: Facebook Share: Twitter Share: Google Share: Pinterest Share: Print Share: Email

The Indians made four selections on the first day of the 2014 MLB Draft on Thursday picking up college outfielders Bradley Zimmer and Mike Papi along with prep pitchers Justus Sheffield and Grant Hockin. This was a big night for the Indians as they had three first round picks and a chance with such a deep draft to really bring in some top shelf talent into the system.

Below, I share my thoughts and provide insight on all of the picks and Jeff Ellis also shares his thoughts and previews the top talent still on the board as we move into rounds three through ten today.

Round 3 options

There have already been over 70 picks made in this draft, but that doesn’t mean that all the talent is gone. Jeff Ellis actually has two guys left from my big board, and every year he does this reset piece where he lists the top guys who stand out to him who are left on the board, and this year he is doing 10 reports on the guys who he views as the best 10 left.

Keaton McKinney, RHP, HS

There has been a run on high school arms but McKinney has yet to be selected. I thought he was one of the better high school arms in the class, but another arm from Iowa Mitch Keller was selected over him. Keller is a fine prospect but I like McKinney’s upside more. He is 6’5” and has the best changeup of any of the prep arms in this draft. He might be a guy the Indians would consider as he fits the approach for this draft as he is more a pitcher than a thrower and shows an advanced feel. He is a personal favorite and a guy I would love to see the Indians select today.

Mac Marshall, LHP, HS

I will be honest, I was a bigger fan of Marshall than Sheffield. He is a good athlete who shows a very good changeup. He needs to work on his command, but there is the upside of a middle of the rotation starter. Marshall and Sheffield are very close to me, and I can’t blame the Indians for taking Sheffield. Here is another pitcher who is said to have a good feel and a simple delivery. It’s always hard to find left-handed pitching, so I am intrigued by any lefty who is an above average athlete.

Jacob Bukauskas, RHP, HS

There is only one team left who I think can possibly sign Bukauskas and it’s the Cubs, who likely went under slot with both of their picks. I am still not sure why he bothered to reclassify if he had no intention of being drafted. The Cubs could be saving money to try and draft Bukauskas in the 11th round then throw a lot at him and dare him to decline. He is the top player left to me, but I did not put him on my board as I thought he might be unsignable.

Jackson Reetz, C, HS

There has been a run on catchers so it’s a bit shocking that Reetz has not been drafted. He was long considered one of the top two high school catchers in this class. He has a strong arm and should stick behind the plate. He shows above average power and hit tools, and really doesn’t have single negative skill which is why I found it a bit shocking that he is on the board with all the catchers who have come off.

Zach Lemond, RHP, Rice

Lemond has committed the mortal sin of being sidelined for a long time without having surgery. He was a potential first rounder then barely pitched over a long stretch. It might have been better if he had just had surgery already. Teams are nervous and seem to be avoiding Lemond even though he is clearly a top 50 talent in this draft. Earlier this year he was hitting 97 as a starter. How many big bodied high school kids were taken on Thursday with the hope that they will hit 97 someday?

Bryce Montes de Oca, RHP, HS

If a team wants to take an extreme upset bet then Montes de Oca is the guy. He quickly returned from TJ surgery and was not just throwing the ball but was hitting 97 out of the gate. His fastball is a plus-plus pitch as it is fast and it moves. Everything else needs a lot of work as you would expect from a high school kid who missed time after Tommy John. It’s a risk, but I think with his fastball Montes has a floor of a pen arm.

JD Davis, 1B/OF/3B, Cal Fullerton

I have stated it before, I think more of Davis than his more heralded teammate Matt Chapman who went in round one. Davis’ power which is also from the right side is as good as Chapman to me, and worst case just a little less. Davis has a cannon arm, he hits 97 as a bullpen arm and I think he can easily move to third or outfield. He has hit for average in college and I think it is clear his hit tool is better than Chapman, and he walked more than Chapman. He is nowhere near as good an athlete, yet I am intrigued by his right-handed power and hit tool.

Brett Graves, RHP, Miss St

Graves has been a very good pitcher for Mississippi State. He lacks ideal size which I am sure has hurt Graves. He has hit 97 this year and works more in the mid 90’s. He has no problem keeping his velocity into games, but the fact that he is a 6’1” pitcher is still enough to scare off teams. His secondary pitches could use some work but there is no denying here is a kid who can hit the upper 90’s and performed well in one of the best conferences in the country.

Cobi Johnson, RHP, HS

Johnson’s father was a second round pick who pitched in the majors. He then in time became the roving pitching instructor for the Toronto Blue Jays. I am sure over the years he has used this knowledge and skill to help his son improve as a pitcher. He has a big frame at 6’4” and while he sits in the low 90’s a jump is conceivable for him. His secondary offerings are well developed and he has one of the cleanest deliveries of any high school player in this draft. I am not sure why teams didn’t take a risk on Johnson as with his background he actually seems like a safer bet than many of the other prep arms who have already been taken.

Random thoughts from Jeff

- My early thoughts on the draft this year are a bit of a mixed bag. I have no major problems with any of the Indians picks, but with all of these picks in the top 100 of a very deep prep class I would have liked to see them swing for the fence at least once. The Indians seem to be sticking with their approach from last year about not having any concerns with a player’s relative size, something that was shown by the Sheffield pick.

- The Indians also seem to be targeting guys with bloodlines as every player had someone whose family member at least played major college baseball, and for three of them they have major league ties.

- I also found it interesting that while most teams went for big arms that project to have huge velocity the Indians seemed to be targeting guys who are more pitchers than throwers. The pitchers are guys whose best stuff is more their secondary offerings.

- The most interesting pick to me is Mike Papi. The reason is he kind of goes against many of what the Indians look for or do. He is not an up the middle player and of all the drafted players he has the least impressive bloodlines and athletically he doesn’t measure up to the other three selections. All Papi does is hit, and he manages it in a park which is not hitter friendly at all. More and more this is the pick I keep looking at. Papi could really be someone interesting if he can turn his college production into pro performance.

Random thoughts from Tony

- I really like the Zimmer pick. He was a guy who was ranked in or near the top 10 of almost every draft board from national pundits, and even our own Jeff Ellis had him at #6, so I was happy to see him slide to the Indians. Why did he slide? Who knows, but I have to believe it is just how the draft worked out as perhaps teams were more focused on arms and other positions. He was still the third outfielder selected and second college outfielder. In any case, the Indians got what many viewed as a top 10 talent at #21 and someone that as the draft wore on I felt was going to be the pick if he was there for the Indians….and he was.

- Zimmer may not have the sexy big power someone may want in a first round pick, and there are probably many out there scared by the selection of an outfielder in the first round after the Trevor Crowe experience and the surprising Tyler Naquin pick from two years ago. But I think he really has a chance to get stronger and fill out his lanky frame more once he gets into a professional strength training, conditioning and nutrition program. He could just be an average power hitter along the lines of what Michael Brantley is doing right now in Cleveland, which would be fine with me provided his above average speed, good arm, solid defense and hit tool all translate well to the pro ranks. There may not be a ton of upside or sex appeal with this pick, but this could be another Michael Brantley kind of guy who just has a solid 10-12 year Major League career with a few big years mixed in there.

- The Sheffield pick is another interesting pick. With guys like Reid-Foley and others there, I know many were targeting other players, but the Indians went with what was considered the best left-handed pitcher on the board at the time of the pick. He may not blow people away with the radar gun, but 90-92 MPH and touching 94 MPH is pretty good, especially from the left side and for a high schooler. What the Indians clearly liked about him is his advanced secondary stuff, pitch ability and strike throwing ability at a young age. You combine that with some athleticism and youth and you have the foundation to a pretty good pitching prospect. We will see in time whether or not that is the case.

- A lot of people felt Luis Ortiz would be the pick at #31 but he went one pick earlier. It looks to me like Sheffield was the guy all along as he and the Indians agreed to a $1.6 million ($133K underslot) deal just hours after being selected. That may be the quickest signing for any Indians draft pick I have ever seen.

- The third pick of the day was Mike Papi and I have to say he might have a chance to be the most impactful of the three picks made on the day. While Sheffield and Zimmer may have more upside and are more well-rounded, Papi’s bat could potentially be something that really impacts the Indians lineup in the future. He is an on-base machine with a good eye at the plate and with plus power and a good frame to potentially add more where he might be a good bat for the Indians down the road. Whether he ends up as more of a two or six hole guy or develops into more of a middle of the order option remains to be seen, but the offensive upside is encouraging. It remains to be seen whether or not Papi is developed as a corner outfielder or a first baseman with the Indians, but considering their lack of prospects at first base throughout the system, I’d day he moves right to first base so he can really concentrate on improving his swing. I loved the comp that Jeff Ellis made with Papi to a young Nick Swisher. I’ll take that if it happens.

- From 2009-2013 the Indians made 50 picks in the first 10 rounds over those five years and amazingly 49 of the players were of the middle of diamond variety (Jordan Smith is the only exception). The selection of Papi is a departure from their normal strategy of pitchers, center fielders or middle infielders with top 10 picks for the Indians, so they must really like the potential with the bat.

- The Hockin pick in the second round is another one that maybe had a few people scratching their heads simply because of the higher rated talent still available and how some might perceive the pick to be a reach. It is important to note that if you were to compare the draft boards of every team side by side I am sure there would be significant differences in how players are ranked 20-100, so even though some pubs had Hockin valued around 90th or 100th overall, some had him around 40th or 50th as well. Also, for all we know, the Indians had him even higher on their board. That’s the beauty of scouting as value truly lies in the eye of the beholder and everyone sees something different.

- As for the Hockin pick, you have to love the bloodlines to Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew. He represents a departure away from the Indians recent draft philosophy to go after big upside power-armed prep pitchers in the top rounds of the draft, and perhaps this is a sneak peek into what their philosophy may be the rest of this draft to go for pitchers with more pitch ability, command and good feel for some secondary offerings coming out of high school. He is not a soft-tosser by any means as he will be at 89-92 MPH and has hit 94-95 MPH, but there appears to be little projection with his arm strength due to his already pretty mature frame. His slider, curveball and changeup have potential to be at least average offerings, he has durability, and he can command the zone with all of his pitches. I see no problem with that for a second round pick. Does he have front of the rotation upside? Probably not. But he certainly could be a nice innings eating mid-rotation starter.

- I’m still pooling together comments from scouts on the Indians picks so will include them in the next update or my draft wrap up piece at the beginning of next week.

On to Day 2 in a matter of hours which covers rounds three through 10. The Indians have eight picks and these are the money picks as we wrap up the bonus pool rounds. There should continue to be an influx of intriguing talent to start to get to know and welcome to the Indians family...

Follow Tony and the Indians Baseball Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2014 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

• 2014 Indians 3rd round pick: 1B Bobby Bradley
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Bobby Bradley faces tough decision: LSU or MLB?

Posted: Jun 05, 2014 10:41 PM CDT

Updated: Jun 05, 2014 11:11 PM CDT

By Tyler Bouldin - email

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) -

The Harrison Central Red Rebels are one year removed from a trip to the 6A state championship series.

LSU signee Bobby Bradley was a junior on that team with a powerful bat, but is not even 24 hours removed from the actual realization that his dream of being selected in the Major League Baseball First Year Player Draft could be coming true sooner than he thinks.

"I woke up this morning and was like, 'Wow, it's finally here,'" Bradley said. "It's a day that could change my life forever."

Bradley was projected by MLB.com as the 68th best prospect available, so it was possible that he could be drafted on day one during rounds 1-2.

In 2013, which was Bradley's junior year at Harrison Central High School, Derrick Mount was in front of him in the lineup, and then James Land followed Bradley.

"There was no way around it," Bradley said. "You're not going to walk the leadoff, you can't walk me to have runners on first and second with no outs for James to come up. That's not going to happen."

This year was a little different. Mount graduated and took the JUCO baseball route to Pearl River Community College after leading Harrison Central with 47 hits and sporting a batting average of .511.

Land's team-leading 44 RBIs for the Red Rebels were gone because he graduated as well, but went to PRCC's rival -- Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.

Bradley returned, but was forced into the leadoff spot this year in order to get some at bats and avoid more intentional walks than what he was getting early in his senior season.

"I expected it to happen," Bradley said. "Coach (Pat) Olmi was talking with other teams and they said they were going to walk me. I was expecting to be the leadoff hitter. When he actually put me at leadoff, it took me a minute to adjust but I ended up getting the hang of it."

The 6-foot-1, 225-pound Bradley had his batting average take a hit this season, dropping from .567 to .340, but he still whacked six home runs and walked 29 times in 22 games.

For a young hitter with pro potential, Bradley understands what it would mean financially to be drafted early. However, if he doesn't like the compensation he's offered from the pro organization that drafts him, LSU Tigers head coach Paul Mainieri will be seeing him in Baton Rouge.

Bradley wasn't drafted in the first or second rounds, so the longer he stays available for MLB teams, as well as a decrease in expected compensation offered by the team that drafts him, the likelihood of him joining LSU for next season will keep increasing.

"He was just saying to let him know what I would do and give me a (draft) round that you would forego college," Bradley said. "I couldn't give him a number at the time, but as long as it's first- or second-round money, then we're good. Other than that, it's not worth passing up LSU."
-- Bob Feller

Harrison Central slugger, LSU signee Bobby Bradley trying to find groove

Chris Thomas 2:38 p.m. CDT April 24, 2014

Harrison Central's Bobby Bradley doesn't mind getting a free pass, even if it comes with a tradeoff.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound senior first baseman is one of Mississippi's top power hitters — something he has proven often during his career — but his numbers haven't been as stellar in 2014 as they were in his previous two seasons, when he combined for 17 homers.

It's not all Bradley's fault. He's getting fewer pitches to hit than in years past, drawing 24 walks in 20 games this season compared to just 14 hits. It's resulted in a .562 on-base percentage and one less walk than he had all of last season — in seven fewer games, no less.

The walk total might grow today when Bradley and the Red Rebels travel to Brandon to open the Class 6A playoffs with a three-game series against the No. 8 Bulldogs.

"He's got a lot of ability," Brandon coach Stacy Hester said. "Any scouting report I've heard on him is that you can't let him beat you. ... But we're not going to let him dictate what we'll need to do."

Most teams haven't gambled with him this season, something that wasn't the case a year ago when Bradley had then-seniors Derrick Mount and James Land — a pair of .470-plus hitters — batting around him.

It's changed the approach at the plate for the LSU signee and wildcard MLB draft prospect, who grabbed preseason All-American honors from Perfect Game after hitting .567 with eight homers and 32 RBIs a year ago.

Bradley, who won't turn 18 until late May, has five home runs this season.

"I'm not seeing as many pitches," said Bradley, whose batting average dipped to .304 during his current 3-for-17 slump. "I'm not being as selective as I was at the beginning of the season."

Or as Harrison Central coach Pat Olmi puts it: "At times this year, we've depended on Bobby too much. We just hope to get guys on and have Bobby punch them in."

The timing of his down year hasn't been ideal — neither for the success of this season (the reigning 6A runner-up Red Rebels are hitting .194 as a team in 2014 and hovering with a record of 11-11), nor Bradley's potential early exit to the pros.

"Some guys are more aggressive on him than others," said an area MLB scout, adding that he wouldn't be surprised if Bradley was taken anywhere between the third and eighth rounds in the 2014 MLB First-Year Player Draft in June (though the feeling is he'll be more toward the latter).

"Maybe some of the (issues) are long-term athleticism. Is he going to hit enough to make his power worth it? It's going to have to be a certain team. He's not a consensus guy."

Added another scout: "He has to prove he can hit at the next level. He definitely has skills in that area. Bobby has that power-hitter label on him. We'll see whether teams pitch to him."

Bradley said he hasn't decided what it will take for him to turn pro and forgo a college career in Baton Rouge. That decision, he says, won't come until his high school career is over.

But until then, "I'll take that base every time if they want to put me on," he said.

To contact Chris Thomas, call (601) 961-7366 or follow @ChrisThomasTCL on Twitter.

The runaround

Harrison Central star Bobby Bradley isn't getting the same looks at the plate as a senior, something that's evident in his numbers this year:

Code: Select all

Year   Avg. BB HR RBIs  OBP 
2014* .304  24  5  10  .562 
2013  .567  25  8  32  .714 
2012  .426  11  7  32  .509 
-- Bob Feller

2014 Indians 3rd round pick: 1B Bobby Bradley

By Staff Report

June 6, 2014

Share via: Share: Facebook Share: Twitter Share: Google Share: Pinterest Share: Print Share: Email

With their 3rd round pick in the 2014 Draft the Cleveland Indians have selected first baseman Bobby Bradley out of Harrison Central High School (MS).

Born: 5/29/1996 – Height: 6’1” – Weight: 225 – Bats: Left – Throws: Right

Ranks:

MLB.com: 68
Keith Law: 58
Baseball America: 85

Tony’s take: This is another exciting pick for the Indians because Bradley is another player with a lot of upside with the bat. He plays at a non-premium position at first base, but the upside with the bat with big time power and a good approach to match makes him someone that is going to be fun to watch develop. He makes consistent, hard contact and has the power to hit the ball out to all fields. He has a solid arm and some experience as a catcher and at third base, but he should settle in at first base though it remains to be seen what kind of defender he is there. The Indians appear to be going less for the raw, athletic and toolsy guys like in years past out of high school and more polished players.

Jeff Ellis: So I am a big fan of this Bradley pick, and with him it’s all about power and the bat. I think if he had gone to LSU his scouting report in three years would read a lot like Kyle Schwarber. Both are guys from the left side with major questions about where they fit defensively. Bradley was tried as a catcher, but his best position is going to be DH. He has a nice swing with good bat speed. His hit tool is more an average to above average tool. I think his power will be plus, this guy has 30 home run potential in the pros. The Indians are really focusing on power and getting away from the old approach of just drafting up the middle talent.
-- Bob Feller

BA a bit more objective than Tony:

Bradley, a preseason second team All-American, is one of the headliners out of a strong Mississippi prep class. While the other top position player prospect in the state, shortstop Ti’Quan Forbes, is a toolsy athlete, Bradley will be carried by his lefthanded bat, likely from the bottom of the defensive spectrum. He has the potential to become one of the better prep hitters, with a combination of hit and power, in the class and he hit well on the showcase circuit. Bradley, who has above-average bat speed and a compact stroke, will likely develop at least an average hit tool, and those who like him believe it could be better than that. He has plus raw power that has a chance to play in game action. Bradley has a very strong, physical 6-foot-1, 231-pound build with a powerful lower half. A corner infielder on the showcase circuit, Bradley transitioned behind the plate over the offseason. Bradley showed an average arm and some aptitude receiving, but inexperience makes some evaluators believe his defensive skill set will fit best at a corner infield spot. Bradley, a well below-average runner with below-average first step quickness, is likely ticketed for first base in the long term

Bleacher Report First Day of Draft report card. Not especially laudatory.

Paul Sancya/Associated Press

First Round (No. 21 Overall): Bradley Zimmer, OF, San Francisco

Outfielder Bradley Zimmer comes off the board in the first round two years after his brother, Kyle, a right-handed pitcher and former teammate at San Francisco, went No. 5 overall to the Kansas City Royals.

The Cubs drafted Bradley out of high school in the 23rd round of the 2011 draft, but he chose to honor his scholarship and join his brother at San Francisco. He enjoyed a breakout campaign in 2013 after struggling the previous year as a true freshman, batting .320/.437/.512 with 22 extra-base hits (seven home runs) and 19 stolen bases in 58 games.

Zimmer’s stellar sophomore campaign earned him a spot in the Cape Cod League and also one on the Team USA collegiate national team last summer. He batted .281 in 22 games for the Cotuit Kettleers on the Cape, though his season was split into two parts due to his time with Team USA. Speaking of Team USA, he impressed on that circuit as well, batting .300 with one home run and 11 RBI.

The 21-year-old has continued to make strides this spring, hitting for more average and demonstrating a better feel for the strike zone. He finished his junior campaign hitting .368/.461/.573 with 10 doubles, seven triples, seven home runs and 21 stolen bases in 54 games for the Dons.

A left-handed hitter, Zimmer is widely considered one of the better college batters in the class, with a mature feel for hitting and above-average power potential. Furthermore, the 6’5” outfielder also possesses one of the finest collections of tools among amateur prospects with good speed and plus arm strength as well as the defensive prowess to possibly stick in center field.

Grade: A-

The Indians saw Zimmer on the board at No. 21 and couldn't let him go. Honestly, it's surprising he was still available. He's a really nice addition to their system.

Comp Round A (No. 31 Overall): Justus Sheffield, LHP, Tullahoma HS (Tenn.)

Baseball bloodlines run deep for left-hander Justus Sheffield; he’s the nephew of former All-Star Gary Sheffield and younger brother to right-hander Jordan Sheffield. Jordan missed most of last spring after undergoing Tommy John surgery and then turned down well above-slot money from the Red Sox as a 13th-rounder in favor of honoring his commitment to Vanderbilt.

While he’s not a hard thrower like Jordan, Justus has emerged as one of the more well-rounded and polished prep left-handers in this year’s class, showcasing advanced pitchability as well as a unique feel for his craft. Serving as Tullahoma’s ace this season, he won 10 games and posted a stellar 0.34 ERA with 131 strikeouts in 61.2 innings.

While he lacks physical projection, his mature, four-pitch mix leaves plenty of room for improvement and eventually should help him carve out a role in the middle of a major league rotation. Yet, with a strong commitment to join his brother next season at Vanderbilt, any team that is willing to take a flier on Sheffield in the early rounds must believe that he’s signable.

Grade: B

After grabbing a "safer" prospect in the first round, the Indians made a nice pick here. Sheffield doesn't have front-of-the-rotation upside, but his arsenal could have him moving quickly.

Comp Balance Round A (No. 38 Overall): Mike Papi, OF, Virginia

Papi is simply a pure hitter, with an impressive left-handed bat that should produce a good batting average and average power as a professional.

Grade: B+

Cleveland is getting great value here with Papi, who is widely regarded as one of the more advanced college hitters in the nation.

Second Round (No. 61 Overall): Grant Hockin, RHP, Damien HS (Calif.)

Hockin, a 6'4", 195-pound right-hander, sits in the low-90s with a slider and changeup that project to be at least average offerings.

Grade: B-

I like the thought process behind this pick, but I probably would have gone with Mitch Keller or Garrett Fulenchek instead.

Final Day Team Grade: B

2014 Indians 4th round pick: LHP Sam Hentges

By Staff Report

June 6, 2014

With their 4th round pick in the 2014 Draft the Cleveland Indians have selected left-handed pitcher Sam Hentges out of Mounds View High School (MN).

Born: 7/18/1996 – Height: 6’6” – Weight: 235 – Bats: Left – Throws: Left

Ranks:

Baseball America: 213

Tony’s take: The Indians take their second left-handed prep pitcher in the draft and we are only in the fourth round. This guys is huge as he is 6-feet-6 and 235 pounds and won’t even turn 18-years old until mid-July! There is obviously a lot to work with from a frame and size standpoint, but he is a cold weather arm, lacks experience and is very raw so he is going to be a project for the Indians. He has a low 90s fastball that touches 94 MPH and has a breaking ball that flashes plus. The Indians kind of went away from their strategy so far in this draft of more polished players and take really their first big gamble in the draft.

Jeff Ellis: Hentges showed up this year and in an outing hit 93, but was unable to sustain. He is a big lefty at 6’6” and throws from a downward plane. He is a big kid and in videos I saw his frame can add some weight, but he is already filled in somewhat. He isn’t some skinny all projection lefty. We all remember how awful this winter was in the midwest, and this was the top player in Minnesota. He just didn’t get the chances to pitch. He fits in with the earlier high school arms as he has a good feel for his secondary pitches, and has two solid secondary pitches. Hentges is the first guy who wasn’t a big name for the Indians, but this is very much an upside pick. Here is a big kid, who showed some velocity, from a cold weather state. I for one am very intrigued by Hentges.

Press release: Hentges, is a 6-6”, 240-pound left-handed pitcher from Mounds View High School in St. Paul, MN. He was recently named 2013-14 Gatorade Minnesota Baseball Player of the Year as Mounds View recently qualified for the 8-team Minnesota state high school baseball tournament. He led his team to the MN state title in 2013. He appeared in 7 games in 2014 and sported a 1.00 ERA (36.0IP, 17H, 7R/4ER, 26BB, 66K). Has a signed letter of intent with Arkansas.
-- Bob Feller

4th Round HS P/1B Sam Hentges

Hentges, whose father played college baseball in the Land of 1,000 Lakes, stands out in a down year in Minnesota and is expected to join fellow Minnesotan Logan Shore, who was Florida’s ace as a freshman, in the Southeastern Conference next year. The Arkansas signee intrigues scouts this year for his size and the work he has done to improve his body. Previously listed as heavy at 248 pounds, Hentges is now closer to 220 with a sturdier 6-foot-6 frame. He has gradually improved his fastball velocity and usually sits in the 86-91 mph range with a peak of 93. Hentges’ curveball lacks power, though it has decent shape, and he’s still fairly raw on the mound. He also features plus raw power at the plate, with modest bat speed and a swing with some length