Re: General Discussion

Indians released INF Mark Reynolds.

Reynolds was designated for assignment by the Tribe last Thursday in the midst of a massive offensive slump. He passed through waivers unclaimed and then declined an assignment to Triple-A Columbus. The 30-year-old corner infielder can now be had for the major league minimum and should draw free agent interest from more than one contending team.

Aug 12 - 2:20 PM

Former Cuban MVP Abreu said to defect

Current location unconfirmed; slugger may draw interest from several MLB clubs

By Joey Nowak / MLB.com | 8/12/2013 3:35 P.M. ET

Twenty-six-year-old Jose Abreu has defected from his native country of Cuba and could be attractive to a number of teams, according to an ESPN.com report.

A report in El Nuevo Herald cites two agents in saying that Abreu left for the Caribbean, though it acknowledges other reports that have him in the Dominican Republic or Haiti, and the ESPN report does not specify where Abreu may have gone. In order to be eligible to be signed by a Major League team, Abreu would have to establish residency in another country, be declared a free agent by Major League Baseball and be cleared by the United States government.

Abreu would join Oakland's Yoenis Cespedes and the Dodgers' Yasiel Puig as some of the most high-profile Cuban ballplayers to make the transition to the Majors. The Nuevo Herald report cites an agent as saying that Abreu would command a larger contract than Puig or Cespedes.

According to the ESPN report, Abreu is a former MVP in Cuba, where he had one of the best seasons in league history in 2010-11, hitting .453 with 33 home runs and 93 RBIs across just 66 games.

In this year's World Baseball Classic, Abreu hit .360 (9-for-25) with three home runs and nine RBIs in six games. He would be likely to play first base in the Majors.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Now that the Tribe has given up on Mark Reynolds, undeniably, the best of the Cuban hitters has defected. I consider Jose Abreu at least as good if not a better hitter than Cespedes, Puig, or Soler. If the Indians are looking to upgrade, here's their chance.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

I've been following Abreu for three years now. In my opinion, he's the real deal. I've posted often enough about Jose in the winter ball folder. Once again, in my humble opinon, Jose Abreu is definitely a difference maker.

This is a MAJOR blow to Cuban baseball and their fans. He is a most popular person in Cuba both on and off the field. Major blow.

The only other player in the game that could compare to Jose Abreu is Alfredo Despaigne. He's on loan to the Mexican Summer League. If Despaigne defects, nearly all of Cuban baseball's major pieces to the puzzle will be missing.

WoW!
-- Bob Feller

For historical perspective, The Cleveland Indians are now 1-7 since "Cona" gave "Swish" and "Cabs" the day off in Miami last Sunday.

And both of those guys have had their averages dip to MLB minimum deserving numbers, if that.

I smell chicken and beer in the locker room, I guess. Not sure if "Masty" visited from the "bump" that day.

"Shaps" and "MarieAntoinetti" have "Swish" and "Cabs" inked to receive $25 Million Dollars next season.

25 freakin' big one's for .239 hitters who strike no fear into any opposing team.

"Shaps" can't give away tix in Cleveland as half or more of the seats remain empty at home in this "pennant race."

Tonight, the Cleveland Indians are in Third Place.

The team I said was gaining many games ago with a caution not to look behind..... caught them. All hail, Satchel Paige.

We are all just current or once Cleveland Indians fans here.

"Too high...too high...."

Mt Fan will probably say that last line was incoherent as he is apparently a "color by numbers, connect the numbered dots" guy. I used to have him in my book of good guys.

Tell us all once again Rust Man why you continue to anoint "Shaps" as one of the "top" and most sought after "execs" in MLB?

I think you've been sitting on some HB Meig's County stash...or something.

I still have Civ in my book of good guys, though he apparently likes the alleged behavioral traits of an ostrich, or something.
Last edited by Tribe Fan in SC/Cali on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 15, and the Indians are 9 games over .500, and 3 games back in the wild card standings. And yet another late-inning come-from-behind win yesterday. If you can't enjoy this season, there is no hope for you. Did anyone think we'd be doing so well this year?