Re: Articles

Talbot finds groove in fourth inning

Finding way to keep ball down lets pitcher get tough on Brewers

By Sheldon Ocker
Beacon Journal sports writer

Published on Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011

GOODYEAR, ARIZ.: In Mitch Talbot's previous two starts, he gave up 12 runs, 11 hits and three walks in 41/3 innings.

''When you can't throw the ball [where you want] over and over and over, it makes you a little nervous,'' he said after his start on Tuesday.

But his latest start included an epiphany.

''It was on my first warm-up pitch of the fourth inning,'' Talbot said. ''Once you find it, it takes a little weight off your shoulders.''

What he felt was finishing off a pitch by stretching his arm as far toward the plate as he reasonably could, enabling him to keep the ball down.

''The first couple of innings I wasn't feeling my pitches and the ball was staying flat,'' he said.

Actually, the Brewers, who lost to the Indians 9-7, were flattening the ball. In Talbot's first three inings, he gave up one run on six hits, two each inning.

''I even got a couple of swings and misses on my slider,'' Talbot said. ''That doesn't happen too often.''

Said manager Manny Acta: ''Mitch was better today. He was up in the zone early, but he threw some strikes and our defense played good behind him. In the last two innings, he got in a very good groove and finished strong.''

Anthony Reyes made his spring debut, working two-thirds of an inning and giving up two hits. Reyes has been sidelined with a sore elbow, and he was brought along slowly in light of elbow reconstruction surgery in May of 2009.

''I didn't know what to expect,'' Acta said. ''We hadn't seen him in a game for so long [almost two years]. We had him on a pitch count of 20-25 pitches and he threw 22.''

Step back?

Jensen Lewis pitched briefly but made an impact, and it wasn't pretty.

He entered the seventh with two outs and two on and didn't get the third out until he had given up two three-run homers.

Until Tuesday, Acta had included Lewis among a group of six who had made the bullpen.

Acta always stopped short of saying that Lewis had a spot locked up but always mentioned that Lewis ''had a leg up'' on the job.

Tuesday, the manager made it clear that ''leg up'' is not a guarantee.

Big bats appear

Carlos Santana hit his first home run of the spring in addition to ripping a double and single.

Michael Brantley also had three hits, including a double, and Matt LaPorta and Chad Huffman each hit his second homer of exhibition season.

Wounded update

Grady Sizemore (knee surgery) ran the bases uneventfully and will do it for a third time (probably Thursday) before he plays in his first game of the spring.

''If everything goes well, he'll start playing in games the 20th [Sunday],'' Acta said.

Jason Donald (bone bruise on his hand) probably will start swinging a bat on Thursday and play on Friday.

But Acta said that Donald might not be ready to face live pitching and could participate in a minor-league game as a defensive player only.

Marching onward

The Indians have today off, but Josh Tomlin will pitch in a minor-league game.

Sheldon Ocker can be reached at socker@thebeaconjournal.com. Read the Indians blog at http://www.ohio.com/tribematters. Follow the Indians on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/ABJ_Indians.

GOODYEAR, ARIZ.: In Mitch Talbot's previous two starts, he gave up 12 runs, 11 hits and three walks in 41/3 innings.

''When you can't throw the ball [where you want] over and over and over, it makes you a little nervous,'' he said after his start on Tuesday.

But his latest start included an epiphany.

''It was on my first warm-up pitch of the fourth inning,'' Talbot said. ''Once you find it, it takes a little weight off your shoulders.''

What he felt was finishing off a pitch by stretching his arm as far toward the plate as he reasonably could, enabling him to keep the ball down.

''The first couple of innings I wasn't feeling my pitches and the ball was staying flat,'' he said.

Actually, the Brewers, who lost to the Indians 9-7, were flattening the ball. In Talbot's first three inings, he gave up one run on six hits, two each inning.

''I even got a couple of swings and misses on my slider,'' Talbot said. ''That doesn't happen too often.''

Said manager Manny Acta: ''Mitch was better today. He was up in the zone early, but he threw some strikes and our defense played good behind him. In the last two innings, he got in a very good groove and finished strong.''

Anthony Reyes made his spring debut, working two-thirds of an inning and giving up two hits. Reyes has been sidelined with a sore elbow, and he was brought along slowly in light of elbow reconstruction surgery in May of 2009.

''I didn't know what to expect,'' Acta said. ''We hadn't seen him in a game for so long [almost two years]. We had him on a pitch count of 20-25 pitches and he threw 22.''

Step back?

Jensen Lewis pitched briefly but made an impact, and it wasn't pretty.

He entered the seventh with two outs and two on and didn't get the third out until he had given up two three-run homers.

Until Tuesday, Acta had included Lewis among a group of six who had made the bullpen.

Acta always stopped short of saying that Lewis had a spot locked up but always mentioned that Lewis ''had a leg up'' on the job.

Tuesday, the manager made it clear that ''leg up'' is not a guarantee.

Big bats appear

Carlos Santana hit his first home run of the spring in addition to ripping a double and single.

Michael Brantley also had three hits, including a double, and Matt LaPorta and Chad Huffman each hit his second homer of exhibition season.

Wounded update

Grady Sizemore (knee surgery) ran the bases uneventfully and will do it for a third time (probably Thursday) before he plays in his first game of the spring.

''If everything goes well, he'll start playing in games the 20th [Sunday],'' Acta said.

Jason Donald (bone bruise on his hand) probably will start swinging a bat on Thursday and play on Friday.

But Acta said that Donald might not be ready to face live pitching and could participate in a minor-league game as a defensive player only.

Marching onward

The Indians have today off, but Josh Tomlin will pitch in a minor-league game

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Steve Smith isn't ready to say the pairing of Asdrubal and Orlando Cabrera will produce instant magic in the middle of the Indians' infield, but he certainly likes what he's seen.

"The good thing is both of these guys can catch it and throw it," said Smith, the Indians' infield coach. "That's a good thing. I like those kind of guys."

Here are the particulars.

Orlando Cabrera, 36, has played shortstop for 1,804 of the 1,855 games he's spent in the big leagues. He's won two Gold Gloves as a shortstop, but the Indians signed him to a one-year $1 million deal to play second base. He's dabbled at second, playing 33 games there in the big leagues. In the minors he played second as well.

"Each year I like to challenge myself," said Cabrera. "I consider this a challenge."

Asdrubal Cabrera, 25, is starting his second full season at shortstop. He broke into the big leagues with the Indians in 2007 at second base, but replaced Jhonny Peralta at short during the 2009 season.

He's played 222 games at short, one at third and 162 at second.

When the Indians began negotiations with Orlando Cabrera, they made it clear they had no intention of moving Asdrubal Cabrera back to second. They have a line of second basemen waiting in the minors, but hardly any shortstops. Orlando Cabrera is on a day pass with the Indians, Asdrubal Cabrera is a core player. They gave him a one-year, $2.025 million contract to avoid arbitration to prove it.

The Cabreras have worked together closely this spring. They're in the same fielding and hitting groups and can usually be found playing cards in the locker room before practice.

"It's too early to tell how it's going to work," said Smith, "but you've got two guys out there who are having fun together."
cabreras-jerseys-horiz-infield-cc.jpgView full sizeChuck Crow / The Plain Dealer"I feel really comfortable at second, especially having Asdrubal at short," says Orlando Cabrera. "He makes it easy for me. He plays the position like a veteran."

Harmony in the middle of the diamond is nice, but it isn't a requirement. Omar Vizquel and Robbie Alomar painted masterpieces every night at Progressive Field from 1999 through 2001 and they had little use for each other off the field.

No one is expecting the Cabreras to produce a nightly Van Gogh with their gloves. If they're consistent and show steady improvement throughout the season, the Indians will be happy.

"I feel really comfortable at second, especially having Asdrubal at short," said Orlando Cabrera. "He makes it easy for me. He plays the position like a veteran."

Asdrubal has also shown Orlando the proper amount of respect. That goes a long way with veterans.

Asdrubal Cabrera broke his left forearm in July when he collided with Peralta at Tropicana Field. He needed surgery and missed five weeks. When he returned, he was tentative at the plate and in the field. This spring, manager Manny Acta has seen a different player.

"He's much stronger," said Acta. "He had a good winter ball season in Venezuela. That really helped him."

Orlando Cabrera eased into spring training because of a sore right shoulder. His throws from second base, especially when turning the double play, are gradually getting stronger. His range has improved as well. In the first inning of Tuesday's 9-7 victory over Milwaukee, Cabrera ranged far to his left, grabbed a grounder by Casey McGehee and made an off-balance throw to first to end the inning.

Acta was happy to get Orlando Cabrera. Acta was Orlando's infield instructor in Montreal from 2002 until Cabrera was traded to Boston in 2004.

"This guys is one of the most fundamentally sound infielders I've ever been around," said Acta. "Also, this guy is the best base runner I've been associated with over the last 10 years in the big leagues. And he's not a burner.

"He's one of the most heady players in the big leagues. I know I'm talking seven or eight years ago, but he's going to influence some of these guys here."

Asdrubal Cabrera is hitting .379 (13-for-29) this spring. Orlando Cabrera is hitting .348 (8-for-28). If they keep influencing each other like that, things will be fine.

OODYEAR, Ariz. — It will only be two at-bats, but Grady Sizemore will appear in his first game in more than 10 months Sunday when he DHs for the Indians against Arizona in a Cactus League game at Goodyear Ballpark.

"We're going to play him in the major-league game," manager Manny Acta said. "Hey, we've got to sell some tickets."

Acta was kidding about selling tickets, but he's excited about having Sizemore back in the lineup for the first time since May 16 when he injured his left knee sliding back into first base at Camden Yards.

It was the second time he'd bruised the knee last season and it led to microfracture surgery in June.

Sizemore, a two-time Gold Glove winner and three-time All-Star, has been trying to make it back to the lineup ever since.

"Grady will run the bases again on Friday," Acta said.

Acta did not say when Sizemore would complete the final step of his return-to-games program -- sliding.

"We can't do everything in one day," Acta said.

The season starts April 1 so the chances of Sizemore opening the season are non-existent. Still, it's a positive step.

On the shelf: Reliever Joe Smith tried to play catch earlier this week, but stopped because he was still feeling pain from a strained abdominal muscle. He'll try to play catch again Saturday or Sunday.

It's still unclear when he'll be able to return to games. Smith has thrown five innings this spring.

"I've had as many as 11 innings and as few as eight in spring training," Smith said.

Said Acta: "It's not that Joe can't play catch. Lonnie [Soloff, Indians head athletic trainer] is just pacing him until he's ready to throw 90 feet. He'll be OK. If he doesn't have any setbacks, Smitty should get a couple of appearances in spring training and be ready for Opening Day."

Close shave: Reliever Jensen Lewis reported to practice after Wednesday's off day with his beard gone.

"When you give up two homers, you've got to change something," Lewis said.

Lewis, trying to get the last out in the seventh inning Wednesday, gave up two three-run homers against Milwaukee.

Lewis' salary of $650,000 is guaranteed and he's out of options. That greatly reduces the possibility of the Indians releasing him in the final weeks of camp.

Designated defender: Jason Donald, who can't swing a bat because of a bruised left hand, played six innings at third base in a minor-league game Thursday. He'll continue to do that until he can hit.

Donald will try to grip a bat and take some swings today.

Testing, testing: Catcher Carlos Santana played his second game at first base Thursday. He went six innings without incident. He'll probably make one more start there this spring.

Planning session: The Indians break camp March 29, but the fourth and fifth starters will stay in Goodyear to make their final start. They'll face each other in a minor-league game on March 30 before joining the team in Cleveland.

Tough break: Shortstop Tony Wolters, the Indians' No. 3 pick in last year's draft, will miss at least five weeks after having a broken hamate bone removed from his right hand. Dr. Thomas Graham performed the operation Wednesday at Cleveland Clinic.

Wolters, who received a $1.3 million signing bonus, reported to camp with the injury. It's a common injury among hitters.

Finally: Kenny Lofton is back in camp working with base runners and outfielders. . . . Trot Nixon, another former Indian, was in camp Wednesday to talk the minor-leaguers. . . . The Indians play Kansas City at 4:05 p.m. today and Texas at 10:05 p.m. The night game will be broadcast on WTAM AM/1100 and televised by the MLB Network in the Cleveland area.

Tribe's Jensen Lewis runs risk of losing chance

Righty who began camp with 'leg up' stumbles, gives up two home runs

By Sheldon Ocker

Published on Friday, Mar 18, 2011

GOODYEAR, ARIZ.: Clearly, manager Manny Acta was — let's say — annoyed, irritated and dismayed. Maybe more.

So was Jensen Lewis, the cause of Acta's sudden rise in blood pressure. Lewis entered Tuesday afternoon's game with the Indians leading the Milwaukee Brewers 6-1, two out and two on in the seventh inning.

By the time the third out was recorded, the Tribe was trailing 7-6, and Lewis was trying to make himself invisible as he walked off the field. The farther he walked, the farther the dugout seemed to recede into the afternoon sunlight.

Why? Lewis gave up one three-run homer upon entering the game and another before he could get the third out. Both were booming drives that cleared the fence easily.

''It was an awful day. Awful,'' Lewis said Thursday. ''Those days are one in a million. I just didn't have it. Fortunately, the off day was the next day. I could clear my mind and get back to it today.''

After the game, Acta felt the need to explain Lewis' place on the roster. That is, the right-handed reliever didn't have one yet.

The manager reiterated his position that when camp began Lewis ''had a leg up'' for one of two vacancies in the bullpen. But ''a leg up'' was not to be equated with a guarantee.

During the winter, Lewis came to terms on a one-year, $650,000 contract, avoiding arbitration. Will a relatively small guaranteed contract be enough to ensure that he is awarded a spot on the 25-man roster, even if he has less than a satisfactory spring?

We might find out. Ironically, if Lewis were to be aced out of a job, newfound good friend Vinnie Pestano might be the guy the Tribe's deep thinkers pick to replace him.

Pestano was called up from Triple-A Columbus near the end of last September and in a brief trial gave up two runs and four hits in five appearances. Pestano even saved a game and struck out eight in five innings.

''Vinnie's more of a power pitcher than me,'' Lewis said. ''He goes right at guys; he's very aggressive. The way you should be.''

This spring, Pestano has made five appearances and given up one run and two hit in 42/3 innings. He has yet to walk a batter and has struck out eight.

Until his meltdown against the Brewers, Lewis had pitched four times, allowing one earned run in 42/3 innings.

Lewis is a Cincinnati native who spent last winter in suburban Cleveland, where his brother lives. But after one winter in Northeast Ohio, Lewis decided to bail to the southwest. He fled to Arizona in the fall and bought a home in nearby Glendale.

''This is the first time I've thrown my first ball [of the winter] when it was over 40 degrees,'' said Lewis, who last year would drive to Progressive Field and do his work indoors.

Enter Pestano.

''I moved out here in November,'' Lewis said. ''We have a nice little group out here [Tribe players] to get things moving. I worked out with Vinnie every day. I lived with him the first week I was out here, until I got my own place.''

Part of the friendship obviously is based on baseball.

''Vinnie's got a great breaking ball, and I'm always looking for ways to make mine better,'' Lewis said. ''And he asks me about stuff, too.''

Lewis spent an unsatisfying 2010 season, shuttling from Cleveland to Columbus and back. Because he had an option remaining, it seemed that any time the Tribe needed to make room for a player on the roster, Lewis made another junket to Triple-A.

That can't happen this year because Lewis is out of options. If the club wants to send him to the minors, he will have to clear waivers. If he is claimed, he will belong to another franchise.

It is interesting to note that when Lewis had his spring training arrival meeting with Acta, the manager used the exact same words he employed with the media to describe his status.

''He told me I had a leg up on a spot,'' Lewis recalled. ''But he said not to read anything into that.

''I negotiated a deal before the [arbitration] deadline, and I'm here fighting tooth and nail. But it's not like I have to do something out of this world. I just need to do what I've done before and get on the plane to be ready for April 1.''

Sheldon Ocker can be reached at socker@thebeaconjournal.com. Read the Indians blog at http://www.ohio.com/tribematters. Follow the Indians on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/ABJ_Indians.

GOODYEAR, ARIZ.: Clearly, manager Manny Acta was — let's say — annoyed, irritated and dismayed. Maybe more.

So was Jensen Lewis, the cause of Acta's sudden rise in blood pressure. Lewis entered Tuesday afternoon's game with the Indians leading the Milwaukee Brewers 6-1, two out and two on in the seventh inning.

By the time the third out was recorded, the Tribe was trailing 7-6, and Lewis was trying to make himself invisible as he walked off the field. The farther he walked, the farther the dugout seemed to recede into the afternoon sunlight.

Why? Lewis gave up one three-run homer upon entering the game and another before he could get the third out. Both were booming drives that cleared the fence easily.

''It was an awful day. Awful,'' Lewis said Thursday. ''Those days are one in a million. I just didn't have it. Fortunately, the off day was the next day. I could clear my mind and get back to it today.''

After the game, Acta felt the need to explain Lewis' place on the roster. That is, the right-handed reliever didn't have one yet.

The manager reiterated his position that when camp began Lewis ''had a leg up'' for one of two vacancies in the bullpen. But ''a leg up'' was not to be equated with a guarantee.

During the winter, Lewis came to terms on a one-year, $650,000 contract, avoiding arbitration. Will a relatively small guaranteed contract be enough to ensure that he is awarded a spot on the 25-man roster, even if he has less than a satisfactory spring?

We might find out. Ironically, if Lewis were to be aced out of a job, newfound good friend Vinnie Pestano might be the guy the Tribe's deep thinkers pick to replace him.

Pestano was called up from Triple-A Columbus near the end of last September and in a brief trial gave up two runs and four hits in five appearances. Pestano even saved a game and struck out eight in five innings.

''Vinnie's more of a power pitcher than me,'' Lewis said. ''He goes right at guys; he's very aggressive. The way you should be.''

This spring, Pestano has made five appearances and given up one run and two hit in 42/3 innings. He has yet to walk a batter and has struck out eight.

Until his meltdown against the Brewers, Lewis had pitched four times, allowing one earned run in 42/3 innings.

Lewis is a Cincinnati native who spent last winter in suburban Cleveland, where his brother lives. But after one winter in Northeast Ohio, Lewis decided to bail to the southwest. He fled to Arizona in the fall and bought a home in nearby Glendale.

''This is the first time I've thrown my first ball [of the winter] when it was over 40 degrees,'' said Lewis, who last year would drive to Progressive Field and do his work indoors.

Enter Pestano.

''I moved out here in November,'' Lewis said. ''We have a nice little group out here [Tribe players] to get things moving. I worked out with Vinnie every day. I lived with him the first week I was out here, until I got my own place.''

Part of the friendship obviously is based on baseball.

''Vinnie's got a great breaking ball, and I'm always looking for ways to make mine better,'' Lewis said. ''And he asks me about stuff, too.''

Lewis spent an unsatisfying 2010 season, shuttling from Cleveland to Columbus and back. Because he had an option remaining, it seemed that any time the Tribe needed to make room for a player on the roster, Lewis made another junket to Triple-A.

That can't happen this year because Lewis is out of options. If the club wants to send him to the minors, he will have to clear waivers. If he is claimed, he will belong to another franchise.

It is interesting to note that when Lewis had his spring training arrival meeting with Acta, the manager used the exact same words he employed with the media to describe his status.

''He told me I had a leg up on a spot,'' Lewis recalled. ''But he said not to read anything into that.

''I negotiated a deal before the [arbitration] deadline, and I'm here fighting tooth and nail. But it's not like I have to do something out of this world. I just need to do what I've done before and get on the plane to be ready for April 1.''

March 19, Day 33 -- The Indians dropped three players from big league camp Saturday. There are 44 players in camp.

Right-hander Josh Judy was optioned to Class AAA Columbus and right-handers Joe Martinez and Yohan Pino were re-assigned to minor league camp. Judy pitched in Friday night's 12-6 victory over Texas and earned the victory.

Judy went 1-1 with a 7.36 ERA in five appearances this spring. He allowed three runs on five hits in 3 2/3 innings. The opposition hit .357 against him.

The Indians acquired Martinez in a trade with Pittsburgh in January. He pitched with the Giants and Pirates in the big leagues last year, but did not have a good camp. He allowed six runs on eight hits in five innings for a 10.80 ERA.

Pino, acquired from the Twins for Carl Pavano, pitched only 1 2/3 innings this spring.

It's a start: Carlos Carrasco allowed five runs, three earned, on seven hits in 4 1/3 innings against Texas.

"The one thing I did good was I threw first pitch strikes to the first nine hitters," said Carrasco, who struck out five. "My breaking ball was good, but my fastball was coming back over the plate. It's something I'll learn from."

Carrasco allowed homers to Elvis Andrus and David Murphy.

Changes? The Indians third base picture is headed for a change. Lonnie Soloff, Indians head athletic trainer, was scheduled to meet with reporters at 10:30 a.m. MT to discuss Jason Donald's bruised left hand.

Donald has appeared in only two games since March 5 when he was hit in the hand by a pitch. If he's not ready for opening day, Jack Hannahan becomes the favorite to open the season as the Tribe's third baseman.

Prospect Lonnie Chisenhall, hitting .500 in Cactus League play, is not a candidate. The Indians sent to the minors last week and have no plans of opening the season with him at third.

Besides Hannahan, Luis Valbuena, Adam Everett, Jayson Nix and Cord Phelps are possibilities at third.

Today's lineups vs. Angels:

Indians: C Carlos Santana, 2B Jayson Nix, RF Austin Kearns, DH Shelley Duncan, 1B Matt LaPorta, LF Chad Huffman, 3B Luis Valbuena, SS Adam Everett, CF Ezequiel Carrera and P Justin Masterson.

In the pen: Frank Herrmann, Jensen Lewis, Doug Mathis, Vinnie Pestano, Jess Todd and Steve Wright could also pitch.

What's ahead: The Indians play Arizona on Sunday at 4:05 p.m. ET. WTAM will carry the game and Grady Sizemore will make his Cactus League debut. Mitch Talbot will face Arizona's Armando Galarraga.

Associated Press

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Third baseman Jason Donald will not be ready to open the season for the Cleveland Indians because of a hand injury.

Indians trainer Lonnie Soloff said Saturday that Donald has a small crack in the base of the long finger on his left hand. Donald was hit by a fastball from Gavin Floyd of the Chicago White Sox on March 5.

"It is disappointing, but I'm already looking down the road, preparing to play," Donald said. "Getting hit is part of the game. It could have been a lot worse. I could have needed surgery and been out a lot longer."

Donald will not participate in baseball activities for seven days, then start a return-to-hit program.

After being hit, Donald came back five days later for a couple of at-bats, played in the field the next day, and has been sidelined since.

"Instead of getting better, it actually felt worse," Donald said.

Two MRI exams did not show the crack, but when Donald did not show improvement, he was sent for a CT scan that showed the injury. Soloff said that's not unusual with hand injuries, where swelling around a bone bruise often obscures a cracked but not completely broken bone.

Donald likely will remain in Arizona for extended spring training when the Indians break camp for their season opener April 1 in Cleveland against the Chicago White Sox. In six games, the former shortstop hit .308.

"The good news is that the CT scan shows early signs of healing," Soloff said. "We hope to have Jason in game activities in early April."

Manager Manny Acta said non-roster invitee Jack Hannahan and veterans Jayson Nix and Luis Valbuena are being considered to start at third while Donald recovers.

"Hannahan has had a good camp, but we would have to work through the process of him being a non-roster guy," Acta said.

Hannahan, signed to a minor-league contract as a free agent in December, has hit .400 with four doubles, six runs and four RBIs in 14 games. The 31-year-old has a .224 career average in 290 games for Detroit, Oakland and Seattle.

"There's never been a doubt about his defense," Acta said. "We told him he would have to hit his way onto the roster. There's an opportunity. We will make roster room for any player who makes us a better team."

Nix and Valbuena play primarily second base, but have seen action at third. Nix has hit only .136 in eight spring games and Valbuena is batting .226 in 14 games.

Lonnie Chisenhall, already sent back to the minors despite hitting .500 in 12 games, is not an option.

"Why bring him up for a week or two?" Acta said. "He has not finished his development and we are not going to have a knee-jerk reaction to spring training performance."

Chisenhall, the Indians' first-round draft pick in 2008, has yet to play above Double-A ball and likely will open the season at Triple-A Columbus at age 22.

It is the third consecutive spring an Indians infielder has been hit by a pitch in the same approximate hand area. A year ago, Valbuena was hurt in the final exhibition game, but did not miss time. Jamey Carroll opened the 2009 season on the disabled list with a broken bone in his right hand

Tribe's final roster has a few mysteries

Who will be fifth starter? Which utility players will make team?

By Sheldon Ocker

Published on Sunday, Mar 20, 2011

TEMPE, ARIZ.: The Indians have had more than enough time to pick the team, so let's get on with it already.

In truth, Tribe manager Manny Acta and General Manager Chris Antonetti probably are about 98 percent certain which 25 players will have jobs on the roster when camp breaks March 29. The problem is that they're keeping the information to themselves.

For most positions, who is in and who is out hasn't been a secret for months, before spring training began. But there are six or seven roster spots that are in doubt.

Probably the No. 1 mystery going into camp was the identity of the fifth starter. Candidates abounded. David Huff, Jeanmar Gomez, Josh Tomlin, Aaron Laffey and Anthony Reyes were announced as equal contenders.

Of course, nothing in baseball is ever quite equal.

Laffey was always the outsider looking in, and he was soon traded to open a roster spot for Chad Durbin. Reyes took himself out of the competition when his surgically repaired right elbow began to ache. It turned out to be nothing serious, but it cost him enough time to be eliminated from consideration.

Huff has relentlessly gone about the task of pitching himself out of the race just when it looked like he might have a real chance. That leaves Gomez and Tomlin, the favorite going in. Lately, Gomez has been pitching from the fifth inning on, when he is likely to face minor leaguers rather than big-league batters. That's a strong indication that he has lost the battle.

So the winner is: Tomlin, who has earned the spot, not only by the way he has performed in camp but also by the way he handled the job as a rookie last year.

Three utility players will make the team. Acta has refused to announce whether he will keep two infielders and one outfielder or one infielder and two outfielders.

A source told me that this is the way things will line up. Travis Buck will be the lone extra outfielder; Adam Everett and Jack Hannahan will be the reserve infielders. (Hannahan won the spot before Acta and Antonetti knew Jason Donald's injury would keep him from breaking camp with the club.)

Why them?

Acta and Antonetti have loved Buck from Day 1. He is one of those guys the Tribe has followed for several years, waiting to see if he would become available. That was the easy part. The Athletics released him, and the Indians signed him over the winter.

Buck can play every outfield position, including center, which was an issue. But the Indians don't look at Buck as strictly a defensive presence. They think he can hit.

He has in spring training. He had one good season at Oakland, when he batted .288 with 22 doubles and seven home runs in 285 at-bats.

Since then, Buck has suffered a concussion that kept him off the field for part of 2008 and 2009. He also complained that the A's never gave him a real chance to play regularly and drove him to therapy. He won't have an everyday job with the Tribe, either, unless someone gets hurt. But he is on the team.

Everett is a sure-handed shortstop, a veteran presence in the clubhouse, and from what I have noticed, a positive influence with his teammates. He has played short exclusively his entire career, but he is being asked to play second and third, as well, though it's doubtful he will spend much time at third.

That's because Hannahan has played third, first and a smattering of second. At 31, he also is a veteran, but his big-league experience has been confined to 290 games with Detroit, Oakland and Seattle.

Hannahan has never been mistaken for an All-Star at the plate, but I suspect that Acta thinks Hannahan can do better than his .224 career batting average. In fact, the manager made a point of telling Hannahan that his offense needs to be upgraded.

He bats from the left side (as does Buck), and the Tribe certainly doesn't need any more left-handed hitters. But with Hannahan, the priority is defense, because the rotation is filled with so many ground ball pitchers.

How many more roster vacancies exist?

Acta hasn't announced his backup catcher and has said repeatedly the decision might go down to the last week of camp.

There's no question that Lou Marson is the best man for the job defensively. He led the American League in percentage of runners thrown out in 2010, even though he was still a rookie. But he also batted .195.

So the issue is this: Do Acta and Antonetti send Marson to Triple-A to play every day and get regular at-bats, or do they keep him for his defense and try to work on his offense as best they can? I'm betting that Marson sticks with the club.

All spring, Acta has said that the bullpen has only one vacancy, two at most.

The seventh spot seemed to be the question mark, though Frank Herrmann was the leader in the clubhouse. That remains the case. Herrmann has pitched well in exhibition season, and his quest to develop an effective split to abet his 94 mph fastball appears to be going well.

But what of the sixth spot? Acta continually said that Jensen Lewis ''had a leg up'' on that job. But one leg is only, well, one leg. Lewis needs both legs certified by Acta if he is to make the trip north with the team.

The manager reminded the media that ''a leg up'' is not a guarantee of a roster spot after Lewis gave up two three-run homers in the same inning Tuesday. Talk abut making an impact. If Lewis pitches himself off the team, who gets his set on the team charter flight out of town?

Vinnie Pestano has pitched well in the spring, and he also turned a few heads when he was summoned from Columbus late in September.

Keep one thing in mind: Roster spots filled are merely roster spots waiting to open up again. It's only March. By June, who knows how many players will have come and gone?

Surprising realism from Tony. I thought he believed all of our players are budding stars. Maybe only if they come up through our farm system.

Short leash for Talbot?

Everyone has been so focused on the camp battle for the fifth starter’s spot between left-handed pitcher Dave Huff and right-handed pitchers Jeanmar Gomez and Josh Tomlin that right-handed pitcher Mitch Talbot’s tenuous hold on the fourth start spot has been overlooked.

Talbot, 27, had a solid season last year for the Indians going 10-13 with a 4.41 ERA in 28 starts. Because of his strong overall showing last year and him being out of options, he went into spring training this year with a guaranteed spot in the starting rotation to start the season.

But how long will Talbot hold onto it?

Talbot had a nice first half last season where prior to the All Star break he went 8-8 with a 3.99 ERA in 17 starts, but he faded in the second half where after the break he made 11 starts and went 2-5 with a 5.29 ERA. He made a strong impression last spring where he made five appearances and had a 3.71 ERA (17.0 IP, 17 H, 4 BB, 10 K), but this spring he has been a disaster so far where in four appearances he has a 10.80 ERA (11.2 IP, 21 H, 4 BB, 5 K).

Talbot’s struggles late last season and his poor showing so far this spring make you wonder how long the Indians will stick with him in the rotation this year if he continues to struggle. Since he is out of options he would have to be put on waivers before he could be sent to the minors, but if he continues to struggle, does it really matter if anyone claims him (who would claim him?).

Talbot is probably not long for the organization and is just a stop gap until (hopefully) better options present themselves, and the Indians certainly have several arms that they would like to take a look if he struggles. In addition to those in the battle for the fifth starter opening, others like right-handers Zach McAllister, Corey Kluber, Anthony Reyes and Alex White could all be options at some point.

Right-hander Fausto Carmona should be a staple at the top of the rotation another few seasons, and right-hander Carlos Carrasco has the most upside of any pitcher in the Indians system not named Carmona. Outside of that, though, there is too much uncertainty with the rotation, which is why even with Talbot’s struggles he is a good guy to have in the short term as a “what you see is what you get” kind of pitcher.”

But if Talbot continues to struggle into mid-May, don’t be surprised to see the Indians move quickly and go with another option from Triple-A Columbus.

Others like right-handers Zach McAllister, Corey Kluber, Anthony Reyes and Alex White could all be options at some point.

Kluber looked awful in spring appearances. Reyes has about 10 innings in him per season. White is the only serious candidate, other than Gomez or Huff, to replace Talbot and I would expect that to happen by midsummer.

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Asdrubal Cabrera left the Cleveland Indians' game with an apparent right leg injury.

Cleveland's starting shortstop singled with one out in the first inning. After Cabrera reached first base, team trainer Lonnie Soloff and manager Manny Acta went out to talk to him. Cabrera jogged down the right-field line a couple times and stayed in the game.

After moving up on a walk, Cabrera took third base on a wild pitch, then turned toward the dugout and was replaced by pinch runner Luis Valbuena.

Cabrera missed six weeks of the 2010 season with a broken left wrist. He has hit .424 in 12 games this spring.

Cleveland will be without starting third baseman Jason Donald on opening day. He is recovering from a cracked bone in a finger on his left hand.

Surprise, Ariz. -- There is turmoil in the Indians' bullpen and Monday's rainout against Kansas City did nothing to quell it. A team strength at the start of spring training, there will be changes made before Opening Day, April 1.

Joe Smith doubts he will be ready by the time the Indians bolt the Arizona desert on March 29. He hasn't pitched since March 9 because of an abdominal strain and only started playing catch Monday.

Jensen Lewis is reportedly on waivers. The Indians would not comment on the report. If he clears waivers, he could be outrighted to Class AAA Columbus. If a team claims Lewis, the Indians might be able to work a trade for him.

GM Chris Antonetti said Lewis has not been released, aka waived, as has been reported by some media outlets.

The four relievers guaranteed jobs are closer Chris Perez, Rafael Perez, Tony Sipp and newcomer Chad Durbin. Manager Manny Acta added Smith to that group, but if he opens the year on the disabled list, there could be three spots to fill.

The candidates are Frank Herrmann, Vinnie Pestano, Justin Germano, Doug Mathis and Jess Todd. Germano and Mathis are non-roster players. If they make the team, a player would have to be removed from the 40-man roster to create space for them.

Herrmann and Germano pitched well for the Tribe last year. They have an edge, especially Germano, because they can pitch more than one inning. Acta is adamant about not having seven relievers who can pitch only one inning at a time.

Germano has pitched seven scoreless innings with four strikeouts and seven hits in seven games.

"He lays in the weeds, throws strikes and gets people out," said Acta. "That's what he does best."

Herrmann is 0-0 with a 2.35 ERA with two runs on seven hits in 7 innings. He has two strikeouts and two walks.

Pestano, a September call-up, has had a great camp. He's 0-1 with a 1.59 ERA (one earned run in 5 innings) with one save, eight strikeouts and no walks.

Smith made 24 throws at 45 feet Monday. He will do the same today if he shows no ill effects from Monday's session.

"I don't know if I'll be ready for Opening Day," he said. "You have to wonder about the bounce back [pitching on consecutive days]. I haven't thrown a ball in two weeks. Even if it is just for a matchup situation, you still could get up two times to face one guy.

"Then it's 'Can you pitch tomorrow?' I haven't done that this spring [pitch on consecutive days]. Not throwing for two weeks, I think it would be kind of hard."

Smith, who made 53 appearances with the Indians last year, was on the disabled list twice in 2009 with a right rotator cuff strain and left knee surgery.

Lewis has struggled this spring, especially in his last two appearances in which he has wasted 6-1 and 7-4 leads in one combined inning.

He signed a guaranteed $650,000 contract in January and he's out of options.

Lewis is 1-0 with a 14.29 ERA (nine earned runs in 5 innings) this spring. Scouts have clocked his fastball between 84 mph and 86 mph this spring, down from his usual 86 mph to 89 mph.

"I'm just going through a rough patch trying to get my command," said Lewis, who says his arm is healthy. "People sure push the panic button after two bad outings.

"I'm just glad I'm getting it out now in spring training so it doesn't go on the back of my baseball card," said Lewis.
Related stories

As for his declining velocity, Lewis said, "I'm sure it's down a little bit because I've been working on getting back. Physically I wouldn't worry about it. . . . I've come back from it before."

Acta said waivers and options are difficult things to juggle at this time of camp, but if that's what it takes to break camp with the best 25 players, then so be it.

"That's the plan," he said. "If we think we have enough guys on the roster who we think we can get through waivers, and we have substitutes for them, we're going to have to do it."

Surprise, Ariz. -- The Indians starting rotation is all but set. Manager Manny Acta just has to make it official.

"We're close," said Acta.

Acta said he should reveal the rotation by the end of the week after the fifth and final starter is named. Josh Tomlin, rained out of Monday's start against the Royals, has that job all but won.

When Acta names the fifth starter, he will also name the order of the rotation.

Fausto Carmona, Justin Masterson, Carlos Carrasco and Mitch Talbot own four of the five spots. Carmona is the only one who knows when he will pitch -- April 1 against the White Sox in the season opener.

The rest of the puzzle is almost complete.

"I'll give you the order when I name the last guy," Acta told reporters.

If Tomlin is the choice, it would give the Indians five right- handers. It's one thing if you have a couple of left- handers in the rotation to change its look. But how do you separate five right-handers?

"You do it based on their pitches and effectiveness," said Acta.

No rest for the weary: After Monday's rainout against Kansas City, Tomlin, Chad Durbin and Justin Germano will pitch in a minor-league game today at the Indians' player development complex.

So far, so good: Shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, who left Sunday's game in the first inning with a cramp in his right leg, said he was fine Monday morning.

"I'll go through a full workout today and should play in the game on Tuesday," said Cabrera.

Cabrera felt a tightness behind his right knee when he was beating out an infield hit against Arizona. He was checked at first base by Indians head athletic trainer Lonnie Soloff and stayed in the game. He went to second on a walk and third on a wild pitch.

When he reached third, the Indians removed him for pinch-runner Luis Valbuena.

"I felt fine sprinting to third," said Cabrera. "It was their decision to take me out."

Acta said there was no reason to take a chance with Cabrera. Especially with infielder Adam Everett going down with a sprained left thumb on Saturday.

Cabrera is hitting .424 (14-for-33) with three doubles, two homers and five RBI.

Testing, testing: Infielder Everett had X-rays and an MRI Monday on his sprained left thumb. Everett injured the thumb attempting to steal second base Saturday against the Angels. He was blocked off the base by shortstop Erick Aybar and hit his thumb on Aybar's leg.

Depending on what the test reveals, Everett could work out today.

Lefty overload: With the Indians' lineup overloaded with left-handed hitters, Acta was asked if it was important to carry a right-handed hitter off the bench.

"If you get offered nine Joe Mauers, would you throw seven back because you want seven right-handers in there, or would you take the nine Joe Mauers?" said Acta. "We don't care from what side they hit, as long as they hit.

"We're not going to platoon Grady Sizemore (a left-handed hitter) because we have Shin-Soo Choo (lefty) and Travis Hafner (lefty). . . . The majority of pitchers are right-handers."

Bad break: Rob Bryson, one of the four players the Indians received from Milwaukee in the CC Sabathia trade in 2008, broke his right foot running in the outfield last week. He will reportedly be out until the All-Star break.

Outfield prospect Nick Weglarz will fly to Cleveland later this week. He tore the meniscus in his left knee and could have surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. He could miss six to eight weeks.

Finally: Anthony Reyes will get at least one more Cactus League appearance before the end of camp. Reyes, whose sore right elbow took him out of the running for the fifth starter's job, has made just one appearance this spring. "There are other guys we need to get stretched out," said Acta.