Re: Draft Folder

Here's an article about Trevor Bauer, Keith Law says the Indians would take him in a heartbeat, but doubt he is there at #8

Bauer steps out of Cole's shadow, into spotlight
By Jonathan Mayo
Trevor Bauer gets it. He's unusual, unorthodox. He fully understood that by taking the path he's taken, he would stand out for being different.

But it also can be a bit tiring.

"It's pretty cool when people acknowledge that I have a different way of going about things, but that gets old," the UCLA junior right-hander said. "People will say, 'His numbers are good, but ... ' It's all about my workout program and my mechanics. It would be nice if it was more about my fastball."

While Bauer's workouts and his mechanics make for an interesting story, it is his results that have him on the cusp of being a Top 10 pick in the upcoming First-Year Player Draft.

As UCLA's Saturday starter, Bauer has led the nation in strikeouts, fanning 189 and walking just 34 over 127 2/3 innings. He's held hitters to a .152 batting average against and carried a 1.27 ERA into NCAA Regional play this weekend. And while Bauer does have an unusual delivery, those numbers don't all come from smoke and mirrors.

His fastball can touch 97 mph and sits comfortably in the 93-94 mph range. His curve is a plus breaking ball, and he augments those two with a variety of other breaking and offspeed pitches. That's a big reason why even though he's not the biggest guy in the world -- at 6-foot-1, 175 pounds -- and he's thrown a ton of pitches, his name is being mentioned as high as No. 3 overall.

"It's all about performance on the field," Bauer said. "If it's different but it works, people aren't going to have too much difficulty with it."

Bauer might be right, but he's got a pioneer to thank for making an industry that doesn't typically embrace unorthodoxy a bit more comfortable with "different."

Back in 2006, Tim Lincecum was an undersized right-hander with very unusual techniques. Despite being the best college pitcher in the class, performance-wise, the University of Washington product didn't go until No. 10 overall. Now, with the success Lincecum has had at the big league level, Bauer will almost certainly get a fair shake in terms of where he goes in the Draft.

"He definitely paved the way for me," said Bauer, who does not mind the inevitable Lincecum comparisons. "No doubt about that. Not just him, guys like Roy Oswalt, who have had success in the game. They've paved the way for smaller pitchers, broken down the idea that smaller pitchers can't be durable, can't be healthy. He's blazed a trail for me on that front. It will be easier for me going forward, because they have an example of something that's worked."

The trailblazer himself wasn't familiar with Bauer's work, not one to follow the amateur scene too closely now. But Lincecum did say that one should be careful not to bundle players together too much based on size or workout regimens. And he's pretty sure teams will look at a player on a case-by-case basis.

"I'm not a scouting director or a guy who makes those decisions," Lincecum said. "It's instance-based, I guess you could say. It depends on what they're looking at."

A lot of people are looking, trying to figure out exactly what to make of Bauer. He's in the "long-toss at greater distances" camp, he started throwing baseballs soaked in water to build arm strength after he heard that Dominicans and Cubans would throw coconuts for that reason. It's something he still does. But Bauer doesn't just blindly follow some workout guru. He's careful about what he adopts and what he rejects from his workouts.

"There are certain things I've been skeptical about, but I'd be willing to experiment with it," Bauer said. "A lot of people think the workouts I do, I just listen to people. I'll try something out and I'll adapt it to what works best for me. Some things I've not continued to do. It's a process of what I think will work best for me."

Ironically, all this attention goes counter to what Bauer prefers when he's on the mound. Not that he shrinks from the attention -- he's a very self-possessed young man -- but he hasn't minded that most of the attention at UCLA has gone to the guy who takes the ball one day ahead of him: Gerrit Cole.

Cole fits the prototype of the future rotation ace. Big, strong, with a fastball that reaches triple digits, Cole has been talked about as a potential No. 1 overall pick. But it's been Bauer who's actually performed better and put up superior numbers this season with everyone watching. Still, Bauer is happy to stand behind his teammate.

"I'm not a guy that really needs to have the spotlight on you," Bauer said. "I don't mind when it's on me, but I'm happier when I'm flying below the radar. Pitching behind Gerrit, there have been more pros than cons.

"It's easier to pitch sometimes, because the expectations aren't as high. My expectations have always been higher than others, which is easier for me to deal with. I get to see a team before I face it, which he doesn't get to do. He shares a lot of stuff with me as well, that's helpful. I like to pitch when it's warm, so pitching during the day is helpful. The only con is I get overshadowed a bit because it's Gerrit Cole. I'm secondary even though I pitch as well, but that's the only con."

And it's one that may no longer be entirely true. Cole may indeed go ahead of Bauer when all is said and done, but it's fairly evident that Bauer has stepped out of the shadow for good.

Jonathan Mayo

Tribe leaving options open for this Draft

By Jordan Bastian / MLB.com | 06/02/11
CLEVELAND -- As the months and weeks have turned into days and hours, the anticipation has started to include bits of excitement, and certainly stress. The First-Year Player Draft is right around the corner and the Indians have a big decision on their hands.

On Monday, Cleveland will select eighth overall in this year's Draft. With only a few days left to plan and prepare, the Indians are not certain which direction they will head. Power pitching. Highly-touted high schoolers.

Everything is in play.

"I go to bed thinking about the names," said Brad Grant, the Indians' director of amateur scouting. "I dream about the same names. I wake up and I'm still trying to figure out the names."

Grant has scoured the continent in search of Cleveland's next star prospect. He estimated that he made stops in at least 40 states this year on scouting missions. Members of the front office have given him some good-natured ribbing over the fact that he still has not made it to North or South Dakota.

"Those are still not on my map yet," Grant said with a laugh. "But I'll put a pin on those one of these years."

This will be Grant's fourth turn at the wheel as Cleveland's Draft orchestrator. Already, Grant has started to earn a solid reputation in light of the highly-touted first-rounders he has reeled in. Third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall (2008) is on the cusp of the big leagues, right-hander Alex White (2009) reached the Majors in April and lefty Drew Pomeranz (2010) is coming soon.

The question on everyone's mind is who will come next.

Grant likes the strength of the crop of pitching prospects that are available early on this year. Cleveland prefers college arms to prep pitchers, but Grant insisted that the team is not ruling anything out at this point. White and Pomeranz could have a fellow fireballer joining the system soon.

"We think there's definitely depth to the pitching side of it this year," Grant said. "There are some good position players mixed in at the same time, but I think the overall strength of the draft is definitely the power pitching side of things.

"There seems to be a lot of guys who are throwing 94-95 mph this year."

The Indians have also shown a willingness to go over slot value in terms of signing bonuses, too. Last year, Cleveland spent $9.4 million on bonuses, which was more than all but four teams. Pomeranz netted $2.65 million, while White picked up a $2.25 million bonus the year before.

Grant noted that the Indians plan on going with the best player available on their board -- much like many ballclubs say at this time of year. Drafting for positional need usually comes in the later rounds. Early on, the decision will come down to a handful of potential impact players.

"We're not going to eliminate anything from the mix at No. 8," Grant said. "We've got a bunch of guys there that are in consideration -- all different types of players at this point.

"I think it's going to come down to having a choice of two or three guys and having a tough decision, but being very excited about the player we get."

Here's a glance at what the Indians have in store as the Draft approaches:

In about 50 words
The Indians boast three picks within the first 100 selections. For the second year in a row, the team's top pick falls within the top 10 overall. Cleveland will pick eighth overall before selecting again at No. 67 and No. 97. The Tribe will then pick seventh in each round from there on out.

Recent Draft History

Indians' recent top picks
Year Player Position Current team
2010 Drew Pomeranz LHP Kinston (A)
2009 Alex White RHP Indians (MLB)
2008 Lonnie Chisenhall 3B Columbus (AAA)
2007 Beau Mills 1B Akron (AA)
2006 Trevor Crowe OF Indians (MLB)
The scoop
"In the past, decisions have kind of been made because of where we were picking and who had already been taken," Grant said. "This year, though, with the depth of this year's Draft class, it's going to be a difficult decision. We're going to have two or three players there that we like a lot."

First-round buzz
The Indians have gone with collegiate arms in the first round of each of the past two Drafts. Chances are that the Tribe will take the same approach this time around, too. If UCLA right-hander Trevor Bauer is still on the board, he is a sure bet to be picked by Cleveland. Georgia Tech lefty Jed Bradley is also a possibility. Position player possibilities include Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon, outfielder Bubba Starling (Gardner-Edgerton H.S. in Kansas) and shortstop Francisco Lindor (Monteverde Academy in Florida).

Shopping list
Pitching is the strength of the Indians' farm system, but as the old baseball adage goes, a team can never have too many arms. Power pitching remains a top priority for the organization. That said, Cleveland could use some position players with strong power potential in their system.

Trend watch
The Tribe is more likely to lean toward collegiate pitchers than to risk taking a high school arm in the first round. If Cleveland goes with a prep star early on, it will likely be a position player. The Indians crave information, and more data often lowers risk. That is one reason the Tribe prefers college hurlers in the Draft's top tiers.

Rising fast
Pomeranz, taken fifth overall last June, has made pitching as a professional look easy. In his first season, all the 6-foot-5 southpaw had was a 1.85 ERA through nine outings with Class A Kinston. Over 43 2/3 innings, Pomeranz had piled up 58 strikeouts against 16 walks with a .190 opponents' batting average. It is possible that the big lefty will reach The Show in 2012.

Cinderella story
Look no further than the Indians' eighth-inning setup crew for a tale of late-round success. Left-hander Tony Sipp was taken in the 45th round (1,337th overall) in the 2004 Draft. Right-hander Vinnie Pestano was selected in the 20th round (611th overall) in the '06 Draft. Through Tuesday, Sipp had a 1.54 ERA in 23 appearances and Pestano had a 1.35 ERA in 22 relief outings.

In The Show
Three players have debuted with the Tribe this season, and two are products of the Draft. White, in only his second professional season, climbed to the Major Leagues on April 30 for his debut with the Indians. He made three starts before landing on the 15-day disabled list with a right middle finger injury. On May 22, reliever Josh Judy (34th round in 2007 Draft) made his Major League debut with the Tribe. Judy has since returned to Triple-A Columbus.

Jordan Bastian is a reporter for MLB.com

American League draft philosophies
June, 2, 2011Jun 210:04AM ETEmailPrintComments5By Jason A. Churchill

The first round of the 2011 Major League Baseball draft is quite close -- June 6, to be exact -- so it is time for our annual look at organizational philosophies, as we did last year, starting below with the American League

These philosophies are not 100 percent exact, but are generally a good indicator of what organizations tend to do with regard to prep versus college, hitters versus pitchers and more.

Essential resources as you read this are the 2011 MLB draft order, Keith Law's mock draft, the most recent top 100 draftable prospects list and the collection of draftee player cards.

Cleveland Indians
Scouting director: Brad Grant

Grant has selected college players with 18 of the club's first 19 picks over the past two seasons and isn't expected to stray from that strategy this season. But with a little more money available to him, Grant could tab the top prep talent available with the No. 8 pick. Adding more college pitching appears to be the Indians' preference, however, despite doing so with Drew Pomeranz and Alex White in each of the past two first rounds.

BA's latest Mock Draft 1-8

1. PIRATES: While the only thing that would dramatically affect Rendon's draft status would be a finding that would preclude him from playing third base in the future, it may be difficult for Pittsburgh to exercise the No. 1 pick on a player who clearly isn't at his best. Likewise, Cole has been inconsistent all spring, though his fastball registered in the triple digits in his most recent start, last Friday against Arizona State. The buzz today is that the Pirates are leaning toward Hultzen, though their decision may not be finalized until they get one more look at the candidates this weekend in NCAA regional play.

Projected Pick: Danny Hultzen.

2. MARINERS: Nothing new to report here. The belief is that Seattle wants a bat, and Rendon would be the obvious choice. If the Pirates take Rendon, the Mariners likely would stick to position players and go for either Starling or Florida high school shortstop Francisco Lindor over the college pitchers.

Projected Pick: Anthony Rendon.

3. DIAMONDBACKS: Hultzen to Arizona is the biggest lock in the first six picks—unless Hultzen doesn't make it to No. 3. If that happens, the Diamondbacks will choose between Bundy and Bauer. Many clubs consider Bundy just as talented and polished as any of the college pitchers.

Projected Pick: Dylan Bundy.

4. ORIOLES: Baltimore has been locked in on Bundy. If he goes off the board, the Orioles will stay with a pitcher and choose between UCLA teammates Cole and Bauer.

Projected Pick: Trevor Bauer.

5. ROYALS: A lot of disinformation has been swirling around Kansas City's pick. The Royals are strongly considering Bauer and aren't ruling him out because of his long-toss regimen. They're also not dead-set on taking local star Starling, who has the highest upside in the draft but also comes with more risk than any of the top six prospects. Kansas City would prefer a pitcher who could help them when they're ready to contend in 2013 or so, and that means Bundy, Cole or Bauer. If all three of them are gone, the Royals still might take Lindor over Starling. Cole very well could go No. 1, but if not, he probably drops to No. 5.

Projected Pick: Gerrit Cole.

6. NATIONALS: Washington will grab whichever of the top six prospects remains. The Nationals' best-case scenario looks like Bauer, but they'll have no problem adding Starling's lofty ceiling to those of Strasburg and Harper.

Projected Pick: Bubba Starling.

7. DIAMONDBACKS: Arizona wants to take the best available talent but also would prefer to have terms in place for this choice, which is unprotected and came as compensation for not signing 2010 first-rounder Barret Loux. The Diamondbacks would love to get both Bundy and Bauer, but that doesn't look possible. They're considering Florida high school shortstops Lindor and Javier Baez, but it might be easier to swing a deal with a college pitcher. Arizona likes Sonny Gray (Vanderbilt) and Matt Barnes (Connecticut) more than Taylor Jungmann (Texas) and Jed Bradley (Georgia Tech).

Projected Pick: Sonny Gray.

8. INDIANS: Though Cleveland hasn't taken a high schooler in the first round since 2001, they're the first club mentioned with Oklahoma prep righthander Archie Bradley. It's more likely that they'll sort through the college pitchers remaining.

Projected Pick: Jed Bradley.

8. INDIANS: Though Cleveland hasn't taken a high schooler in the first round since 2001, they're the first club mentioned with Oklahoma prep righthander Archie Bradley. It's more likely that they'll sort through the college pitchers remaining.

Projected Pick: Jed Bradley.

Full name is Jedediah Custer Bradley

Cool name.

Latest Mock Draft from Keith Law.....he has Jed Bradley going 19th to Boston. I'm hoping to get one of these top 7, looks like the Indians can forget about Trevor Bauer'

With three days to go until the 2011 MLB draft, it seems as if the names are clearer but the order is foggier. Picks three through five are probably the same names but in almost any order, and there's a similar run in the early teens, where a few teams are fighting over the same handful of players. I'll update this list again overnight Sunday, by which point I'm hoping we'll at least have more clarity in the top 15.

Pittsburgh Pirates
Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLANo change here in the name, and I keep hearing the Pirates are taking a pitcher here regardless. Danny Hultzen would be the most likely alternative, but the tea leaves say the Pirates can't pass on Cole's raw stuff.

Seattle MarinersAnthony Rendon, 3B, RiceI know Francisco Lindor worked out for Seattle, but I'm not alone in thinking that would be a crazy move with Rendon (or Cole) sitting right there in front of the Mariners. Bubba Starling is also a possibility here as he's apparently a favorite of GM Jack Zduriencik.

Arizona DiamondbacksTrevor Bauer, RHP, UCLA Or Hultzen, or Dylan Bundy. The next two picks are likely the two guys Arizona didn't take here.

Baltimore Orioles Danny Hultzen, LHP, VirginiaIf Hultzen goes at No. 3, the Orioles will take Bundy over Bauer. It's possible they take Bundy anyway, but they rate Hultzen a little higher because he's a college guy. Archie Bradley is still a long shot but not out of the discussion.

Kansas City RoyalsDylan Bundy, RHP, Owasso (Okla.) HSThey'd love Cole and aren't getting him. I have heard that they're reconsidering Starling, given how the first four picks will likely play out, but still prefer a fast-to-the-majors pitcher.

Washington NationalsBubba Starling, OF, Gardner Edgerton HS (Kan.)If Starling's here, it sounds like he's their guy. Stephen Strasburg, Bryce Harper, Starling in three straight drafts? Nats fans are going to get spoiled.

Arizona DiamondbacksArchie Bradley, RHP, Broken Arrow HS (Okla.)If they take Bundy at No. 3, they probably won't come back with Bradley, but look for them to try to maximize pitching across these two spots. Sonny Gray, my previous pick for them, seems to be on the outside.

Cleveland IndiansJoe Ross, RHP, Bishop O'Dowd HS (Oakland, Calif.)The word is that they're also linked with Gray, Archie Bradley, Javier Baez and Jed Bradley.

Chicago CubsMikie Mahtook, OF, LSUIf Starling isn't here, they're now leaning toward Mahtook over Baez after George Springer didn't fare well in front of their crew last weekend. They really like Gray but are locked in on bats, figuring the first eight picks will plow through the top pitchers in the draft.

San Diego PadresMatt Barnes, RHP, UConnThe Padres are also looking at Springer, Gray, Archie Bradley, Cory Spangenberg and possibly Lindor.

Houston AstrosFrancisco Lindor, Monteverde Academy (Fla.)Archie Bradley's the pick if he's here. Jed Bradley and Gray are possibilities.

Best tools in the draft
By Jason A. Churchill

With the 2011 MLB draft less than a week away, let's take a look at which of the top prospects own the best individual tools among both the prep and college classes. This year, we have ranked 12 categories, ranging from Best Athlete to Best Power Hitter to Best Fastball.

Best Athlete
College: George Springer, OF -- Connecticut
Prep: Bubba Starling, OF -- Gardner-Edgerton HS (Kan.)

Springer might have enough instincts and speed to stick in center, and certainly could develop into a plus defensive right fielder with an above-average arm and speed on the bases. Starling is a thoroughbred who brings arm strength, plus speed and raw power to the diamond. Starling is basically the prep version of Springer, but with more overall upside.

Best Hitter
College: Anthony Rendon, 3B -- Rice
Prep: Josh Bell, OF -- Dallas Jesuit HS (Texas)

Rendon's strike zone judgment, discipline and ability to hit the ball the other way suggest a .300-plus hitter with high on-base marks and extra-base power. If he's healthy, the hit tool could carry him to the big leagues as early as next spring. Bell has power but makes consistent hard contact and lays off balls out of the zone. Keith Law adds that Bell has "explosive hands that allow him to let the ball travel deep on him before he commits to swing." That will help him maintain higher batting averages, even when he loads up for power.

Best Power Hitter
College: C.J. Cron, 1B -- Utah
Prep: Larry Greene, OF -- Berrien County HS (Ga.)

Both Cron and Green are considered Day 1 prospects because of their power potential, although Cron's hit tool is solid, too. He is aggressive in the count but squares up pitches well and the ball jumps off his bat. Twenty-five to 30 home runs per season is within reach. Greene does it with plus bat speed and good hip rotation, Keith Law says.

Fastest Baserunner
College: Corey Spangenberg, 3B/CF -- Indian River College (Fla.)
Prep: Johnny Eierman, OF -- Warsaw HS (Mo.)

Spangenberg's speed grades a 70 or better on the 20-80 scouting scale, which prompts scouts to believe he ultimately could play center field. Eierman is in the same boat -- a plus runner but lacking the range to stay on the infield. He also possesses the instincts to steal 25 to 30 bases per season.

Best Throwing Arm
College: Jason Esposito, 3B -- Vanderbilt
Prep: Starling

Esposito, a former shortstop, has fierce competition here, but among others considered for the Top 100, he's the winner. The arm would play in right field if he has to move there later in his career. Starling has touched the low 90s from the mound and possesses a right fielder's arm, although his accuracy and perhaps throwing mechanics need a little work.

Best Defensive Catcher
College: Andrew Susac -- Oregon State
Prep: Austin Hedges -- JSerra HS (Calif.)

Susac is solid in each defensive category with 60 arm strength and good, strong hands, perhaps the most underrated tool for a catcher. Hedges has all the tools and shows them well in games, including good feet and throwing technique, which helps him show off his raw arm strength.

Best Defensive Infielder
College: Rendon
Prep: Francisco Lindor, SS -- Montverde Academy (Fla.)

Rendon has good feet and an accurate arm to complement soft hands and good instincts and reactions at the hot corner. If the injuries don't bring him down, he could win a Gold Glove. Lindor makes "crazy play after crazy play" at shortstop, according to scouts who have seen him this spring, and the arm is at least a 60 on the scouting scale. He also possesses plus lateral range and moves as well to his left as any prep shortstop in recent memory.

Best Defensive Outfielder
College: Jackie Bradley Jr., CF -- South Carolina
Prep: Starling

Bradley uses above-average speed and a plus arm to make plays in center. He could be a plus defender there for years if he improves his routes and learns to read the ball off the bat a little better. Mikie Mahtook of LSU also received consideration. Starling reminds one area scout of a speedier Robin Yount in center (with a better arm, too), which bodes well for the multi-tooled Starling.

Best Fastball
College: Gerrit Cole, RHP -- UCLA
Prep: Dylan Bundy, RHP -- Owasso HS (Okla.)

Cole typically sits at 95-98 mph with his four-seamer -- the low 90s with his two-seamer -- but was up to 101 for Law last Friday night and hit 100 in the eighth inning. Bundy has competition here from Jose Fernandez of Alonso High School in Florida, but with better life and command, Bundy's 93-98 mph heater gets the nod.

Best Breaking Ball
College: Alex Meyer, RHP -- Kentucky (slider) and Trevor Bauer, RHP -- UCLA (curveball)
Prep: Archie Bradley, RHP -- Broken Arrow HS (Okla.) (curveball)

Meyer's slider is an out pitch and occasionally can be unhittable but Bauer gets to join Meyer on the pedestal because his curveball, a plus pitch, misses bats regularly and he can change speeds on the pitch, creating more deception. Bradley edges out Taylor Guerrieri from Spring Valley High School in South Carolina. Both possess very good curveballs, but Law describes Bradley's as a hammer that would make Thor jealous. Bundy's cutter deserves a mention despite not technically being a breaking ball (although it's close to a slider).

Best Changeup/Splitter
College: Cole (Changeup)
Prep: Daniel Norris, LHP -- Science Hill HS (Tenn.)

Cole's changeup ticked up from a fringe offering in 2010 to a putaway pitch this spring, garnering grades from scouts ranging from 60 to 80 and everywhere in between. It's thrown in the mid 80s with good fade, and Cole's arm speed creates great deception. It might be the single best pitch in the draft, perhaps after only the right-hander's fastball. Bundy, Henry Owens (Edison HS, Calif.) and Alhambra HS (Calif.) right-hander Robert Stephenson were all in the conversation, but Norris wins out, partially because Bundy has shaved the offering almost entirely out of his arsenal in favor of a plus cutter. Norris shows a feel for his change, although it's not a consistent weapon for him just yet.

Best Control/Command
College: Danny Hultzen, LHP -- Virginia and Taylor Jungmann, RHP -- Texas
Prep: Bundy

Hultzen and Jungmann throw tons of strikes and command their fastballs within the zone consistently and from start to finish. Hultzen commands his breaking ball and changeup better than Jungmann does his secondary pitches, but Jungmann spots his fastball on both sides of the plate more effectively, inducing the tie. Bundy has a consistent release point and "repeats his arm action well," Law reports, and regularly finds his delivery in sync, which bodes well for his future control and command. He throws strikes with all of his pitches, which is one reason why he could be but a two- or three-year study in the minors.

Fastest to Majors
College Pitcher: Hultzen
College Hitter: Rendon
Prep Pitcher: Bundy
Prep Hitter: Starling

Hultzen has the command, feel and pitch repertoire to race through the minors and join a big league rotation as early as next season, perhaps in June, despite not possessing dominating ace stuff. Rendon could follow in the footsteps of Evan Longoria and spend very little time in the minors, but only if he's healthy. Bundy has better stuff than Rick Porcello at the same stage and could find himself in a major league rotation as soon as he's out of the woods in terms of workload and service time, perhaps sometime in 2014. Starling, Lindor and Bell could all see the majors in 2015, but Starling's power could push him along a little quicker.

Draft Prospect Q&A: Sonny Gray
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [February 22, 2011 at 3:17pm CST]
As the 2011 Draft draws closer, MLBTR will be introducing you to a handful of the top eligible prospects with a series of Q&As. The series debuts today with one of the top college pitchers in the nation.

Vanderbilt right-hander Sonny Gray has "the best curveball in college baseball," according to Baseball America, and ESPN.com's Keith Law suggested last week that he has an outside shot of being the first overall pick this June. According to Baseball America, some scouts wonder if Gray's future is in the bullpen. But with an above-average curve, a 93-96 mph fastball and a change-up, he could become a starter like Mike Minor and David Price, two Vanderbilt products who were selected in the first round.

Gray talked to MLBTR about his size, his curveball and Roy Halladay. Here's a transcript of our conversation:

Ben Nicholson-Smith - Can you describe your pitches and what kind of pitcher you are?

Sonny Gray - I’m a guy that has a pretty good fastball and I like to use it a lot. I also rely on my curveball quite a bit. It’s been a pitch that I’ve been able to go to for a while - ever since I can remember pitching. I like to throw mainly a lot of fastballs and curveballs and I’d say between fastball and curve that’s probably 85% of the pitches I throw.

Varying speeds on my curveball of course, so some are a few miles an hour harder, which can make a difference, and I mix in change-ups. I kind of like to just go after the hitter and just throw my stuff against their bat and see what I can get out of it.

BNS - It sounds like you’re pretty comfortable with your curveball at this point.

SG - Yeah, I’ve always been pretty confident in it. It’s always been something I can use and it’s always worked pretty well. If I need to make a big pitch, I’ll go to either that or my fastball, but I’m pretty confident in [the curve].

I’m really confident in my fastball as well and I’m gaining confidence in the change-up. This year I’m going to end up throwing it a lot more and I threw it quite a bit this summer, so I’ve just got to gain more confidence in that pitch and I’m starting to get that, since I’m starting to have success with it.

BNS - Is that one of your goals for the season? To keep working the change-up into the repertoire?

SG - It’s not one of my goals. My goal is to get outs and win games. If it’s throwing a change-up that certain night, then I’ll throw a change-up. If it’s not throwing any, I won’t throw any. If it’s mixing everything, I’ll mix everything. It’s just the way the flow of the game goes.

I don’t think that’s a goal - ‘today I’ve got to make sure I throw a change-up.’ I don’t really look at it that way. It’s just whatever I need for each particular outing.

BNS - Tell me about how you’ve changed or evolved as a pitcher since the Cubs took you back in [the 27th round in] ’08.

SG - I’ve changed a lot actually. I still go with the fastballs and curveballs, but I’ve added I think 25 or 30 pounds. Back then I was 5’11” and 170 or 175 [pounds] and now I’m right at 200.

I’ve learned how to pitch a lot more. In high school you can kind of throw it by people, but here you have to learn how to throw the ball to both sides of the plate - which is important - and I’ve learned a lot about the game. I’ve learned how to pitch, I’ve learned a lot about myself. I’m able to correct things now if something’s not going well, I can correct things in the moment which was something I wasn’t able to do then. Back then I’d try to rear back and throw as hard as I could if something wasn’t going right, but now I know why stuff happens and I’m able to correct if from one pitch to the next.

BNS - You said that throwing change-ups is not one of your goals, but what goals would you say that you do have for the rest of the college season?

SG - The goal is just to get out there and give the team a chance to win every game. There’s going to be outings when I’m really good, when my stuff’s real good and there’s also going to be outings like last Friday when my stuff’s not quite there and the offense is going to have to pick me up [Gray pitched 4 1/3 innings, allowing three runs and four hits and striking out six against the University of San Diego on Friday]. But to be able to give the team a chance to win every Friday night I go out there is one of my main goals.

BNS - Do you watch a lot of big league baseball? Are you a big baseball fan in general?

SG - Yeah, I am actually.

BNS - What major leaguers do you look up to?

SG - Roy Halladay does things the right way. His team follows around him; he knows how to come into a new place and maintain his work ethic.

Also the guys coming out from Vandy, guys that I’m pretty close with. I check to see how David [Price] does every time he pitches. We’ve developed a little bit of a relationship, coming from Vandy. So I look up to him and his success as well.

BNS - How much does the success of a guy like David Price or Mike Minor drive you?

SG - It does. Just to be able to see what they’ve done and try to build on that. To think what they’ve been able to accomplish and by doing it the right way. Especially coming here - the program has high expectations and I think that they kind of brought this program to a new level that hadn’t been pushed before.

And me being here I’m just trying to get to the next level that they weren’t able to make it to. And I’m going to leave it to the guys that come behind us. But we want to push the program far - to where it hasn’t been [a College World Series championship].

BNS - When you look ahead, say, five years from now, do you see yourself as a starter or do you see yourself as a reliever?

SG - I’ve always thought of myself as a starter. Some people say 'he’s shorter,' but I’ve seen myself as a starter. I closed my freshman year here at Vanderbilt and it was the first time I’d ever been out of the bullpen and it was actually an enjoyable time, I actually had a lot of fun with it.

It was a new role I hadn’t played before but once I got used to it it was something I enjoyed doing. I looked forward to throwing more than once in a week. So I’ve always seen myself as a starter, but if anything were to happen, I’m versatile, I’m not someone who’s just stuck on something and doesn’t want to try to experiment or do whatever needs to be done.

BNS - What about all of this interest in the draft? You have people like me calling, you have Baseball America writing about you, you’re on ESPN. How much of that stuff is exciting and really cool and how much of that is a distraction?

SG - I think it’s very exciting. It’s nice to receive recognition for the hard work you’ve put in from way before college, growing up playing the game. It’s nice to receive some kind of recognition, but then again you kind of have to take a step back and take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture. And for me right now the bigger picture is next Friday night and the next Friday after that. It’s just this season and this team, putting this team in position to win and stuff off the field can come off the field. It is nice to receive that stuff, but you have to take it with a grain of salt and just do what you can do.

Top-of-the-draft philosophy: Take the hitter!
June, 5, 2011 Jun 58:01AM ETEmail Print Comments By Jim Bowden

My philosophy on building a baseball team is the same as most. I would begin with five No. 1 starting pitchers, all capable of 20 wins and an ERA under 2.00 with WHIPs under 1.00, followed by three impact hitters in the middle of the order who would have an OPS over 1.100 with 140-RBI potential who would also win Gold Glove awards at catcher, shortstop and center field, an impact closer who converts every save opportunity and a leadoff hitter with a .400 OBP who could steal 50 bases and score 120 runs. I would take the proven ace pitcher over the best hitter every time. If we could all implement this philosophy, world championships would follow.

This blueprint is pretty simple. There are 30 teams that would like to carry out this plan. Logic says that when it comes to the first five selections in the draft, clubs should choose starting pitchers. History, however, says that is high risk and usually not successful.

In fact, since 1990 the only top pitchers taken in the top 5 of the draft who lived up to the scouting reports were Mark Mulder, Josh Beckett, Justin Verlander, David Price and Stephen Strasburg (who is now injured). That's exactly five pitchers out of a possible 105 draft picks.

Here is a list of pitchers who were taken with one of the top five selections in the draft since 1990: Kurt Miller, Brien Taylor, James Henderson, Billy Wallace, Jeff Granger, Wayne Gomes, Dustin Hermanson, Ariel Prieto, Matt Anderson, Jeff Austin, Adam Johnson, Mike Stodolka, Justin Wayne, Dewon Brazelton, Chris Gruler, Kyle Sleeth, Greg Reynolds and Daniel Moskos.

In most cases the clubs weren't wrong to draft them. The stuff was there, so was their proven track records -- and in many cases they had good makeup. However, some of the pitchers were either later injured, their physical abilities regressed or their off-field behavior and lifestyle changed for the worse. Of course, some of the failures also had to do with poor scouting of deliveries, lack of deception, intelligence and overall makeup.

Position players have a much better track record, especially those whose best tool was the "hit" tool. For example, look no further than Chipper Jones, Alex Rodriguez, Josh Hamilton, Adrian Gonzalez, Joe Mauer, Mark Teixeira, Ryan Braun, Ryan Zimmerman, Evan Longoria, Buster Posey and future stars like Eric Hosmer, Bryce Harper and Manny Machado.

The Pittsburgh Pirates have the first overall pick in this year's draft. Gerrit Cole, a right-handed pitcher from UCLA, Danny Hultzen, a left-handed pitcher from the University of Virginia, and Dylan Bundy, a right-hander from Owasso High School in Oklahoma, are considered by some scouting directors to be the top three players in this year's draft. Each has the potential to be 12-15 game winners in the major leagues. However, most scouts rate their potential below a Josh Beckett, Justin Verlander, Stephen Strasburg or David Price.

Therefore, based on history, the Bucs should be debating between the sure-thing college bat of Anthony Rendon, a third baseman from Rice who can really hit and whose power wasn't seen this year only because of an injured shoulder, or the high-risk, high-reward athlete in this year's draft: Bubba Starling, the high school center fielder from Kansas who has comitted to Nebraska to play football.

In my opinion, the Pirates should have learned from draft history and taken shortstop Manny Machado last year over Jameson Taillon with the second overall pick. This year, they should draft Rendon over Cole, Hultzen or Bundy. Pittsburgh should then use the rest of its draft picks to stockpile pitching. That doesn't mean that Rendon or Machado have more talent or potential compared to Cole, Bundy or Hultzen; it just means they're not pitchers.

Impact position players who can hit like Joe Mauer, Mark Teixeira, Alex Rodriguez, Ken Griffey Jr. and Chipper Jones sure do make an organization look smart for taking them in the top 5 of the first round for a long, long time. When you draft some of the best potential pitchers like Kris Benson, Ben McDonald or Mark Prior, an organization can look dumb in a hurry, even though they were scouted and ranked high on almost all 30 draft boards.

Bottom line: If you are a Pirates fan, hope for Rendon or embrace the high risk and high reward of Starling rather than drafting another Bobby Bradley, Daniel Moskos or Bryan Bullington.

Here is a breakdown of some draft history that supports the "If it's close, take the hitter" philosophy:

1990: Braves took Chipper Jones over pitcher Todd Van Poppel.
1991: Yankees chose LHP Brien Taylor over Manny Ramirez.
1992: Pitchers Paul Shuey and Billy Wallace were selected over Derek Jeter.
1993: Mariners took Alex Rodriguez over Darren Dreifort.
1994: Pitchers Paul Wilson, Dustin Hermanson and Doug Million were all drafted before Nomar Garciaparra, Jason Varitek and Troy Glaus.
1995: Todd Helton was passed over for pitchers Jonathan Johnson and Ariel Prieto.
1996: Seth Greisinger and Matt White went before Eric Chavez and Jimmy Rollins.
1997: Matt Anderson went ahead of J.D. Drew; Jason Grilli ahead of Vernon Wells; Geoff Goetz ahead of Michael Cuddyer; Dan Reichert ahead of Lance Berkman.
1998: Jeff Austin went ahead of J.D. Drew and Ryan Mills ahead of Adam Dunn.
1999: Josh Hamilton and Josh Beckett went 1-2; but pitchers Josh Girdley, Kyle Snyder and Bobby Bradley all went before Albert Pujols, Carl Crawford and Alex Rios.
2000: Marlins took Adrian Gonzalez over pitcher Adam Johnson but Mike Stodolka, Justin Wayne, Matt Harrington, Matt Wheatland, Mark Phillips, Joe Torres all went ahead of Chase Utley, Grady Sizemore and Yadier Molina.
2001: Twins chose Joe Mauer over Mark Prior, Dewon Brazelton and Gavin Floyd. Those three pitchers were all taken ahead of Mark Teixeira, David Wright, Ryan Howard and Kevin Youkilis.
2002: Pitchers Bryan Bullington, Chris Gruler, Adam Loewen, Clint Everts were selected before Prince Fielder, James Loney, Denard Span, Brian McCann and Curtis Granderson.
2003: Delmon Young and Rickie Weeks went 1-2 in the draft.
2004: Pitchers Matthew Campbell and Eric Hurley were drafted right ahead of Andre Ethier.
2005: Wade Townsend, Mike Pelfrey both got drafted ahead of Jay Bruce and Andrew McCutchen.
2006: Luke Hochevar and Greg Reynolds were drafted ahead of Evan Longoria.
2007: Daniel Moskos was drafted ahead of Matt Wieters and Jason Heyward.
2008: Brian Matusz got drafted just ahead of Buster Posey.
2009: 15 pitchers were drafted ahead of Mike Trout. Two years later, Trout is the second-best prospect in baseball to Bryce Harper.
2010: Jameson Taillon got drafted just ahead of Manny Machado.
2011: More pitchers will be drafted in the first round and never throw a single pitch in the major leagues.

Three reasons why pitchers have more risk at the top of the first round:

1. Injuries: If a pitcher's throwing shoulder blows out, you could have nothing to show for your top pick. A position player will recover.

2. Physical changes: A player's physical size, strength and abilities can change significantly from ages 18-21. These changes usually don't adversely affect high school hitters like it does pitchers. Highly-rated high school bats like Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Hamilton, Joe Mauer and Chipper Jones usually will add home run power, but have little risk in going backwards. High school pitchers' shoulders and muscles can change dramatically, resulting in changes in delivery, deception and release points that can result in losses of both velocity and command. Of course, it can also have the opposite effect like the case of Stephen Strasburg, who wasn't even drafted out of high school. Strasburg's physical changes led him to becoming one of the best pitching prospects in baseball just three years later.

3. Signability: Teams have taken lesser talent and drafted a pitcher over a position player only because of signability. Drafting players based on signability over talent is a philosophy that never works.

You win championships with top-of-the-rotations starters. It's not very often that baseball has found them at top of the amateur draft.

3. Signability: Teams have taken lesser talent and drafted a pitcher over a position player only because of signability. Drafting players based on signability over talent is a philosophy that never works.
Tribe philosophy for many years.

Tribe needs some big time bats.

seagull wrote:
Tribe philosophy for many years.

Tribe needs some big time bats.
To be fair the Indians have not done that in the last couple of drafts. White and Pomeranz were both given over slot signing bonuses.

It looks almost certain that they will take a pitcher with their first pick. Hopefully they can find a couple of nice bats in the later rounds.