Re: Winter/Fall/Latin/Asian Ball

Jays GM scouting Japanese phenom Darvish 5

By Bob Elliott ,Toronto Sun

First posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 08:33 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 09:35 PM EDT

Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish was being scouted this week by the Blue Jays, among other teams. (AFP)

BALTIMORE -

While the bullpen burned in Baltimore, general manager Alex Anthopoulos was in Japan looking for talent for next season.

Anthopoulos was scouting World Baseball Classic sensation Yu Darvish. The 6-foot-5, 185 lbs. right-hander is with the Nippon Ham Fighters. Darvish, 25, picked up his 16th win Tuesday night in front of major-league scouts. He has a 16-4 record with a 1.54 ERA walking 27 and striking out 206 in 175 innings.

A year ago he was 12-8 with a 1.78, walking 47 and striking out 222 in 202 innings. The New York Yankees are also interested.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Dominican Winter League first round Draft recap

The Dominican Winter League (LIDOM) had their annual draft selection on August 17th 2011. Only Dominican born players that have played in class A or above are eligible to be selected. Here’s a recap of the first round selections this year.
Rymer Liriano OF SD PADRES

Los Tigres del Licey took notice of Rymer Liriano and selected him in the first round. Rymer is from Santo Domingo, 6’0, 211lb. He may not be among the top statistical leaders this season, but Midwest League managers certainly took notice of the Padres' speedy outfield prospect. Liriano was named the circuit's Most Valuable Player and Prospect of the Year as the league announced its 2011 Postseason All-Star team.

<
Oscar Taveras OF ST LOUIS CARDINALS

Las Aguilas Cibaenas selected Oscar Taveras of the St Louis Cardinals. Oscar is from Sosua, Pto.Plata, 6’2, 180lb. The left-handed hitting outfielder signed by the St. Louis Cardinals as a non-drafted free agent on Nov. 15, 2008. He was rated as the Cardinals #24 prospect according to Baseball America at the start of the season. For the second time in as many months, River Bandits outfielder Oscar Taveras has been named Midwest League Player of the Week. The St Louis Cardinals have decided to send Taveras to the AFL for more AB’s.

<
Marcel Ozuna OF FLORIDA MARLINS

Marcel Ozuna of the Florida Marlins was selected by Los Gigantes del Cibao. Ozuna is from Santo Domingo DR. 6’2 190lb. Signed by the Florida Marlins as a non-drafted free agent on Feb. 15, 2008. The outfielder put up some great numbers in 2011, Los Gigantes just couldn’t pass him up.

<
Gary Sanchez C NEW YORK YANKEES

Gary Sanchez was selected by Los Leones del Escojido. Gary is from La Victoria, DR. 6’2, 220lb.
In many ways, Sanchez is providing much of what the Yankees expected when they signed the receiver in July 2009 to a $3 million bonus, the largest amount the storied franchise had ever given a teenager. He proceeded to hit .353 with 11 doubles, six home runs and 36 RBIs in 31 games in the Gulf Coast League in 2010 before concluding the campaign by batting .278 in 16 outings in the New York-Penn League. Baseball America tabbed Sanchez as the best prospect in the GCL and the second-best Minor Leaguer in the Yankees' farm system.

<
Ronny Rodriguez SS CLEVELAND INDIANS

Las Estrellas Orientales selected Ronny Rodriguez SS Cleveland Indians. Ronny is from Santiago DR.

<
Edwar Cabrera LHP COLORADO ROCKIES

Los Toros del Este selected Edwar Cabrera LHP of the Colorado Rockies. Cabrera is from Santana, DR. Signed as a non-drafted free agent on March 5, 2008, He was rated as the 30th-best prospect in the Rockies system prior to the 2011 season by Baseball America. This year between the SAL and CAL leagues

<

Manny Machado SS BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Another player of note selected although not in first round was Manny Machado. Manny was a first-round pick (No. 3 overall) selection in the 2010 Draft by the Baltimore Orioles... debuted with the GCL Orioles... made his Class A debut on Aug. 30, 2010 with short-season Aberdeen.. ranked No. 24 among Top 50 Prospects by MLB.com entering 2011 season. Although he was born in Miami Fl, Manny is eligible to be selected because his parents are Dominican. Manny was selected by Los Toros del Este.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Thursday, Sep. 1, 2011

Darvish cruises to 16th victory of banner season

By KAZ NAGATSUKA

CHIBA —

While the sky was dark as a typhoon was approaching, Yu Darvish gave his club a long awaited clear-cut victory.

Main attraction: Fighters ace Yu Darvish collects his 16th victory on Wednesday, keeping the Chiba Lotte Marines in check at QVC Marine Field. Hokkaido Nippon Ham won 6-1. KYODO

Darvish scattered five hits and allowed a single run in eight innings to provide the struggling Fighters the second win in their last eight games, a 6-1 victory over the Chiba Lotte Marines on Wednesday night.

"My balls weren't bad but I couldn't locate them to where I really wanted, so it was difficult," Darvish said after the game at QVC Marine Field. "But my teammates gave me some run support effectively and that took some pressure off my back."

The 24-year-old Darvish gabbed his 16th win of the season (against four losses), which leads NPB, matching his single-season high of 2008.

"Who I am today is completely different from who I was back in 2008," he said. "So it doesn't mean much."

However, Darvish was pleased with the fact that he avenged his last outing against the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles last week in Sapporo.

He ended up taking a loss (2-1) despite giving up just two runs (one earned) and striking out 15 batters.

But this time, if not quickly, the Fighters offense gave their ace some breathing room.

With the game tied at 1-1 in the top of the sixth, designated hitter Tomohiro Nioka came up with a two-out RBI single and then the next batter, Eiichi Koyano, smacked a three-run homer off Chiba Lotte starter Yuki Karakawa into the left-field bleachers to make it 5-1.

Nippon Ham added another in the seventh when Shinya Tsuruoka scored on Yoshio Itoi's groundout.

"As I failed to give the team a win last time out, I was trying to give us a chance to win as much as I could," said Darvish, who effectively used a splitter, which he doesn't frequently use.

Heavy showers that began in the bottom of the sixth seemingly bothered Darvish a bit, as he issued a walk and allowed a single with one out. But he coolly retired the next two men to get out of the pinch.

Ryo Sakakibara worked in the ninth to end the game.

"I didn't think he was that great today, but he still managed to hold the opponent," Fighters skipper Masataka Nashida said of Darvish.

"So I tip my hat off to him."

The Fighters had 10 hits. Their leadoff man Daikan Yoh went 4-for-5, including a triple.

With Nippon Ham up 1-0 in the fourth, the Marines tied it at 1-1 with some fortune.

Darvish hit Toshiaki Imae and allowed two unlucky hits to produce the tying run. But that was the biggest resistance they had against Nippon Ham's mighty pitcher.

Marines starter Karakawa (8-5) gave up seven hits in six innings and was responsible for all the five runs.

Katsuya Kakunaka was 3-for-4 for Chiba Lotte.
-- Bob Feller

A total of 24 scouts from 13 major league clubs came out to
watch Darvish.
-- Bob Feller

The roster looked like it was already filled Civ. Would they be injury replacements?
-- Bob Feller

Joe:

Each team is allowed a quota of pitchers and position players. The rosters posted at BA August 30 left "TBA" catcher, infielder, outfielder assessed to the Indians and other TBAs for other teams, too:

Phoenix Desert Dogs
Manager: Todd Steverson (OAK)
Pitching Coach: Jim Czajkowski (TOR)

Mickey Callaway (CLE)
Hitting Coach: Tom Slater (NYY)
Trainers: Jeremy Heller (CLE)

Charles Leddon (CIN)
Pitchers Team B-T Ht. Wt. DOB
Austin Adams CLE R-R 5-11 185 08/19/86
Brad Boxberger CIN R-R 6-2 200 05/27/88
Nick Christiani CIN R-R 5-10 180 07/17/87
Evan Crawford TOR R-L 6-1 175 09/02/86
Ethan Hollingsworth OAK R-R 6-2 200 05/04/87
Donnie Joseph CIN L-L 6-3 190 11/01/87
Aaron Loup TOR L-L 5-11 180 12/19/87
T.J. McFarland CLE L-L 6-3 209 06/08/89
Matt Packer CLE L-L 6-0 200 08/28/87
David Phelps NYY R-R 6-2 185 10/09/86
Tyson Ross OAK R-R 6-16 230 04/22/87
Tyler Sturdevant CLE R-R 6-1 191 12/20/85
Travis Webb CIN L-L 6-4 205 08/02/84
TBA NYY
TBA NYY
TBA NYY
TBA OAK
TBA OAK
TBA TOR
TBA TOR

Catchers Team B-T Ht. Wt. DOB
Yan Gomes* TOR R-R 6-2 215 07/19/87
Yasmani Grandal CIN S-R 6-2 205 11/08/88
Ryan Ortiz OAK R-R 6-3 195 09/29/87
TBA CLE

Infielders Team B-T Ht. Wt. DOB
Dusty Coleman* OAK R-R 6-2 185 04/20/87
Brodie Greene CIN R-R 6-1 195 09/25/87
Adeiny Hechavarria TOR R-R 5-11 180 04/15/89
Corban Joseph NYY L-R 6-0 168 10/28/88
Ronnier Mustelier NYY R-R 5-10 210 08/08/84
Cody Puckett CIN R-R 5-10 175 04/03/87
TBA CLE
TBA TOR

Outfielders Team B-T Ht. Wt. DOB
Michael Choice OAK R-R 6-0 215 11/10/89
Anthony Gose TOR L-L 6-1 190 08/10/90
Grant Green OAK R-R 6-3 180 09/27/87
Rob Segedin NYY R-R 6-3 220 11/10/88
TBA CLE

Yeah! Thanks Civ. I read it in one of your posts in a different folder.
-- Bob Feller

Trout, Harper headline AFL rosters

Prospect of eight MLB teams will head to Arizona this fall

By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com

If history is any indication, Year 20 of the Arizona Fall League will be just as productive as the previous 19 editions. That means a large number of the players on this year's rosters, officially announced Tuesday, will not only go on to the big leagues, but they'll do so quickly and will become the next wave of Major League stars.

Just last year, current MLB players like Dustin Ackley, Eric Hosmer, Brandon Belt and Jason Kipnis worked on their skills in Arizona to prepare them for their big league debuts. So it's worth watching this year's crop to get a head start on potential 2012 Rookie of the Year candidates. The six-team league plays six days a week (Monday-Saturday) in six Cactus League stadiums in the Phoenix metropolitan area. Daily start times are 12:35 p.m. and 6:35 p.m. MST.

The two biggest names on the six AFL rosters are currently Nos. 1 and 2 on MLB.com's Top 50 Prospects list and will patrol the same Arizona outfield. Both Mike Trout (No. 1) and Bryce Harper (No. 2) will play for the Scottsdale Scorpions, winners of the 2010 AFL title. Trout, a 2009 first-round pick, could potentially be delayed, should the Angels make the postseason and he makes their playoff roster.

Harper, the No. 1 overall pick of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft, made it up to Double-A at age 18 in his first full season, before shutting it down in August with a hamstring injury. This will be a return engagement for the Nationals outfielder, who was a member of Scottsdale's taxi squad in '10, getting the chance to play twice a week and expierience his first taste of pro ball of any sort. Now AFL fans will get to see him in action on a more regular basis.

"The overall starting pitching appears to be strong," AFL director Steve Cobb said. "Several position players are regarded as premier prospects at their respective positions. And there is no shortage of quality relievers to finish games. This promises to be an outstanding season, perhaps our best ever."

Trout and Harper are two of seven Top 50 prospects who will participate in this year's Fall League season, slated to begin on Oct. 4 and run until the championship game at Scottsdale Stadium on Nov. 19. Aaron Hicks, Wil Myers, Nick Franklin, Brett Jackson and Matt Dominguez comprise the quintet of other Top 50 prospects, strong candidates to play in the Nov. 5 Rising Stars Game, to be held at Surprise Stadium.

"It's good to be able to play with guys who are about ready to go to the big leagues," said Hicks, the 2008 first-round pick of the Twins who spent the 2011 season in the Class A Advanced Florida State League and will be facing largely Double and Triple-A talent in the AFL. "It's more of an opportunity to get better, to see what the competition is like and to see where I'm at in my progress towards becoming a big league player."

The AFL has been home to nine Major League MVP Award and three Cy Young Award winners over the past two decades. With each Major League organization sending six of its more promising prospects to the league (41 players currently on organizational Top 10 lists are on rosters), there are bound to be more future award winners headed to the desert this fall. Seven AFL players also participated in last July's Futures Game, with Harper and Myers leading a list of Grant Green, Will Middlebrooks, Jefry Marte, Nolan Arenado and Tim Beckham, adding even more to the league's well-established legitimacy.

A recent trend of sending this year's draftees to the AFL will continue as well. The Mariners' Danny Hultzen (No. 2 overall) and the Brewers' Jed Bradley (No. 15), a pair of lefties taken in the first round, will be on the same Peoria Javelinas pitching staff. Fellow college lefty Sean Gilmartin (No. 28) will pitch for the Surprise Saguaros, while LSU outfielder Mikie Mahtook (No. 31), now a Tampa Bay Ray, will roam the outfield for Surprise. For all but Gilmartin, the AFL will provide a first glimpse of professional competition.

That quartet comes from the 2011 First-Year Player Draft, but they are far from the only first-rounders who will be in Arizona. A total of 19 former first-round selections are on rosters, with the potential of more to come with many spots still TBA. The total does not include supplemental first-round picks.

"I feel a little tired," said Hicks, who was the No. 14 overall pick back in 2008. "Being here in the FSL isn't the easiest thing to do, with the weather, the rain delays, things like that. "But I'll have two weeks off where I'll be able to fill back up and go again at the end of the month.

"I've been working on a lot of stuff for my swing, shortening it up, being able to hit the ball to all fields. It's going to help my development to be able to do that, [improving] my pitch recognition and being able to stay within my swing. This will definitely will be a good test."
-- Bob Feller

Iwakuma qualifies for overseas free agency

TOKYO, Sept. 12 (21:48) Kyodo

Rakuten Eagles right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma on Monday fulfilled
the requirements to become a free agent to ply his trade overseas
after spending nine years on the active roster in Japanese baseball.

According to baseball sources, Iwakuma, 30, will test the waters
of free agency in an attempt to move to the major leagues after the
2011 season.

''Right now, we are at a crucial point in the season, so I want
to focus and do my best for my team,'' said Iwakuma, whose Pacific
League club is currently in third place and battling for a place in
the playoff series.

''I want to think seriously about free agency after the season
is over and give my response then,'' he added.

In 2008, Iwakuma won the Sawamura Award with records of 21-4, a
1.87 ERA and an .840 winning percentage. Last year, Iwakuma's talks
to move to the Oakland Athletics via the posting system broke down.
-- Bob Feller

Noriega takes the road less traveled, easy pick for Yankees

9-11-2011

Alvaro Noriega is a Colombian born catcher who found his way to the Dominican Republic looking to develop and showcase his tools. Noriega was discovered by Miguel Delgado two years ago in Colombia. Delgado made arrangements to get Noriega to his development program in the Dominican Republic where he trained and played in the Dominican Prospect League. For the past two years Noriega has been away from his home in an unfamiliar country in hopes he can achieve his dream of signing a professional contract. During his time in Dominican Republic, he showed the desire and mental toughness to keep his focus on developing his skills. Through the process Miguel Delgado was his trainer, friend and father figure, the road wasn’t easy to travel but for Noriega it has all paid off.

Delgado has shown fruits of his development program in 2011 also signing RHP Jesus Lugo and Colombian born RHP Nadir Crismatt with the NY Mets, and Outfielder Francisco Tejada with Toronto. Noriega becomes his latest sign, agreeing to terms with the New York Yankees for $175,000.
Alvaro Noriega C Dominic DiSaia Photographs

The NY Yankees have had success acquiring and developing home grown catchers in the past, names like Yogi Berra, Elston Howard and Thurman Munson all of which arguably should be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Most recently the NY Yankees have acquired and developed home grown talent from Latin America the likes of Jorge Posada, Francisco Cervelli and Jesus Montero as well as can’t miss prospect Gary Sanchez, there’s no doubt the Bronx Bombers have been successful developing catchers in their system. Alvaro Noriega has become their latest catching Prospect acquisition from Latin American to start his journey through the Yankees system, the path he hopes can consequently get him to the Big Leagues in true Yankees fashion.
Alvaro Noriega C Dominic DiSaia Photographs

Noriega was the best catching prospect in the 2010-2011 DPL season, he showed major improvement in blocking, receiving and throwing accuracy behind the dish. Noriega is approximately 6’1, 180lb, he has a projectable body and prototypical frame for the position, he’s athletic and has the flexibility needed to develop. He shows solid average to plus arm strength and quick release. He has the offensive ability to compete against notable pitching, frequently getting solid contacts, gap to gap with occasional power; he shows a polish approach for his age, although having pull power he focuses to be inside the ball. His swing is a short stroke with good bat speed and balance; Noriega was selected to both DPL All-Star Games, as well as The DPL Elite Travel team but for reasons of travel documentation the Colombian born catcher couldn’t make the trip to the US.

Congratulations to Alvaro Noriega, Miguel Delgado and The New York Yankees
-- Bob Feller

Here is the Instructional League roster and schedule:

Roster

# PITCHERS (22) HT WT B/T AGE
59 Allen, Cody 6'1 210 R/R 22 lots of ks in debut, old already
41 Anderson, Cody 6'4 220 R/R 20
55 Araujo, Elvis 6'4 165 L/L 19 could be top prospect
34 Armstrong, Shawn 6'2 210 R/R 20
56 Aviles, Robbie 6'4 200 L/R 19 got in a few rehb innings
60 Carmona, Manuel 6'1 190 R/R 18 lots of ks very young
53 Cleto, Jeffry 6'3 208 R/R 19
37 Cook, Clayton 6'3 175 R/R 20 around for years and still only 20, never had a big year
36 DeJesus, Luis 6'3 173 R/R 19
28 Encarnacion, Estevenson 6'4 190 R/R 21
48 Goodnight, Michael 6'4 225 R/R 21 great start, good finish, terrible midseason
51 Haley, Trey 6'3 180 R/R 20 finding himself as releiver??
44 Howard, Dillon 6'4 210 R/R 18 top prospect yet to pitch an inning
57 Johnson, Jeff 6'0 185 R/R 21
47 Lugo, Luis 6'5 200 L/L 17
30 Merritt, Ryan 6'0 170 L/L 19
35 Morimando, Shawn 5'11 170 L/L 18
48 Rayl, Michael 6'3 185 L/L 22 good season, not sure he's considered a prospect yet
50 Salazar, Danny 6'1 175 R/R 21
38 Sisco, Jake 6'3 185 R/R 19 no. 3 pick this year
40 Soto, Giovanni 6'3 155 L/L 20 pitched well when healthy
65 Sterling, Felix 6'3 200 R/R 18 already worked in full season league; maybe a top prospect

# CATCHERS (4) HT WT B/T AGE
4 Haase, Eric 5'10 180 R/R 18 why'd we pay so much for another cathcer? he can show us why
9 Lavisky, Alex 6'1 200 R/R 20 hit for powr, no avg in his first full season
11 Lowery, Jake 5'10 200 L/R 20 walks a lot, many xb hits
8 Monsalve, Alex 6'0 185 R/R 19 another solid catcher

# INFIELDERS (12) HT WT B/T AGE
33 Aguilar, Jesus 6'3 235 R/R 20 biggest power bat in the system this year
26 Castillo, Leonardo 6'2 190 R/R 17 good start in AZ
12 Garcia, Robel 6'0 168 S/R 18 very good start in AZ
20 Herrera, Juan 5'11 170 R/R 17
6 Lindor, Francisco 5'11 175 S/R 17 the nearly $3M kid
17 Macphee, Zachary 5'9 175 S/R 21 another of many 2b
13 Martinez, Jorge 6'2 170 S/R 18 looked good 2 seasons in AZ
1 Paulino, Dorssys 6'0 175 R/R 16 good press at signing time
2 Rodriguez, Ronny 6'0 170 R/R 19 BA says he's one of our top 6 prospects
22 Smith, Jordan 6'4 205 L/R 20 no homers lots of singles doubles rbi
23 Urshela, Giovanny 6'1 180 R/R 19 still like him; not a great season in LC
2 Wolters, Tony 5'10 165 L/R 18 little guy, I can't imagine he really promises that much

# OUTFIELDERS (7) HT WT B/T AGE
35 Greenwell, Bo 6'0 185 L/L 22 still hanging in
20 Holt, Tyler 5'11 190 R/R 22 on base a lot, not a CF
17 Jones, Hunter 6'2 190 R/R 19 limited game experience in 2 summers
27 Myles, Bryson 5'11 230 R/R 21 excellent in NYPL, projection doublted by some
16 Rodriguez, Luigi 5'11 160 S/R 18 may be the best prospect we have
24 Santander, Anthony 6'2 187 S/R 16 like Paulino got good reports at signing time
7 Washington, Levon 5'11 170 L/R 19 lousy first full season

Giants' Ramirez: New ball has changed game

John E. Gibson / Daily Yomiuri Sportswriter

There's no doubt the dead ball introduced this season is killing run production in Nippon Professional Baseball.

Slugger Alex Ramirez of the Yomiuri Giants said the Mizuno ball, which NPB made its official ball this year, has done more than frustrate hitters--it has changed the game.

"There's no way there's going to be any player this season who's going to have the same numbers, or close to the same numbers that we had last year," Ramirez told The Daily Yomiuri a week ago at Tokyo Dome.

A number of players, particularly Takeya Nakamura who has a Japan-best 33 longballs for the Saitama Seibu Lions, have dispelled that idea, but many more have been slowed by the low-impact Mizuno balls.

Ramirez's concern is that the balls, coupled with what players have said is a wider strike zone, are snuffing out scoring. Going into Wednesday's games, there were just three .300 hitters in the Central League--led by Giants teammate Hisayoshi Chono--and run production requires more strategy and risk-taking than skilled swinging of the bat.

Two-time MVP Michihiro Ogasawara of the Giants and last year's league MVP Kazuhiro Wada of the Dragons are prime examples of players who have been in a season-long funk at the plate.

Both entered the season hitting above .300 for their careers, but the now-injured Ogasawara is at .236, while Wada is at .231.

Offensive production across NPB is down 27 percent through the same number of games last year, and the rate of home runs is down 40 percent--from one every 40 plate appearances to one per 67. Ramirez points squarely at the Mizuno ball, which in testing last autumn carried 2.3 percent less, as the reason.

"To me, it's not a 50-50 thing, it's a 75-25 [thing], which is not fair for the hitters," Ramirez said about the double-whammy of new balls and a wider zone hitters are dealing with this season. "It should be fair for the pitchers and the hitters.

"The balls don't carry. You're not going to be able to hit the ball for a home run to the opposite field. You might see one or two guys...but most of the right-handed hitters, we have no chance hitting opposite-field home runs other than the guys playing in open stadiums like Yokohama and Jingu."

He said pitchers have adjusted to that by working the outside part of the plate more to further reduce power numbers.

Ramirez, an 11th-year player who started with the Yakult Swallows in 2001, is among a group of sluggers who have gotten a "rest" because their production has fallen off from career numbers.

Ramirez entered this season averaging 33.6 homers a season. He has 14--including his 350th since coming to Japan--with about a month left to play in the season.

The outfielder said he has called upon every morsel of hitting knowledge but is still baffled by the new balls.

"You can't adjust to these balls," he said. "You've just got to deal with it. There is no adjusting. There's no 'Maybe if I can get used to these balls, I can produce better.' You can't.

"Even though you try things--maybe try to hit the ball the other way, try to get a base hit and things like that--people don't see me as hitting base hits."

The Giants have long been a muscle-bound team that capitalized on marginal pitching at homer-friendly Tokyo Dome.

"Before, we had the advantage because this was a powerful team. You come to Tokyo Dome now and it can be a 1-0 game. Anybody can just come here and pitch a good game."

He said the Giants have had to adjust on the fly with a team built to bash.

"This was a team that was all about offense, especially here at home, but it's not anymore. We just have to try to do the little things to win games."

That has transformed the Venezuelan into a guy who has to settle for finding a hole.

"I just have to concentrate on getting my hits and my RBIs because that's the game this year."
-- Bob Feller

FELIX FERMIN

Heeeee's Baaaack !

Better know as the player we traded to Seattle for Omar Vizquel, Felix Fermin is back in Santiago managing the Aguilas Cibaenas in the Domincan Winter League.

As a player, his nickname was "El Gato", (Felix the Cat) for his quick reflexes and solid defense.

Since 2000, he has led the team to five championships and also lead the Dominicans to three Series del Caribe titles until he was removed from the job in 2009. He was then hired to be the manager for the Gigantes del Cibao until the Aguilas Cibaeñas hired him back in 2011.

During his two year stint in Mexico (Mexican Summer League) in 2007, he managed the Monterrey Sultans to the Mexican League title and took the team back to the finals in 2008, losing to the Mexico City Red Devils.

(The Aguilas hired Fermin back because they sucked in his absence. When he moved on to Cibao, he guided a team that wasn't doing well and narrowly missed the championship round of Dominican winter league two years running. During the 2010-2011 season, the Aguilas went into rebuild mode. No one better than Felix Fermin to get your team back on the right track. Cleveland normally will send some of their players to Santiago during the winter months. I'm hoping some of the kids like Chisenhall, Phelps, Brantley, Marson, Kipnis, and/or LaPorta end up on that Aguilas team. I think it would be nice to have these kids working for Felix).
-- Bob Feller

Winter ball organizations are handing out contracts for the winter season 2011-2012. I find no Cleveland players committed to any of these teams at this point in time. I hope to see many of these new kids on the block playing baseball this winter.
-- Bob Feller