Re: SPRING TRAINING 2012!

Indians acquired reliever Jairo AsencioApril 1, 2012 6:17 PM By Miguel Cotes Bulls Director of Media
Jairo Asencio

LA ROMANA . - -

The Cleveland Indians acquired reliever Jairo Asencio, of the Atlanta Braves in a cash transaction.

The reliever, who turns 28 in May, was on the restricted list of players the Braves through 2010 after it was discovered that he had come to America under the name of Luis Valdez and claimed it was three years younger. The Indians already grappling with a similar case, the pitcher formerly known as the Fausto Carmona, whose real name is Roberto Hernandez and is also three years older than what was stated.

Hernandez continues in the Dominican Republic trying to get a work visa.

Asencio is a candidate to get one of the last two places available in the Cleveland rotation. Not eligible for minors.

The right-hander with 26 saves last season with Triple-A Gwinnett, won the title of MVP of the Caribbean Series this year. Participated in nine games in three seasons with Atlanta.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Who's Who !?!?! Gotta be an April Fool's joke.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

just another one of those cheaters from the winter beer leagues.
Rusty!

There was more beer comsumed in the Boston dugout last year than there was in all of winterball :lol:
-- Bob Feller

I remember when it was announced The Indians were moving Spring Training from Tucson to Florida I was happy because it seemed most teams that were regularly atop the regular season standings seemed to be Florida spring training teams.

This year I note that of the teams that made the post season, New York, Baltimore, Detroit, Texas, Washington and Atlanta all train in Florida in the spring.

The only two exceptions were Oakland and San Francisco who train in Arizona which makes perfectly good geographical sense for the west coast teams.

In fact going all the way back to 1960, I think the only Arizona based spring training teams to have won The World Series are San Francisco, Arizona, Anaheim and Oakland.

Someone double check me, and remember the Los Angeles Dodgers have trained in Florida.

Edit, I cursory double checked myself and note the White Sox no longer train in Sarasota, and the playoff attaining Texas Rangers of 2012 have not yet moved spring training to Florida as rumored for the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wo ... _champions

If St. Louis wins one more against the Giants, we will be guaranteed of having a 2102 World Series Champion who trained in Florida.