Re: GameTime!™

Taking a flyer on Florial wasn't a bad idea; meanwhile the "depth starter" for whom he was traded:
The Yankees recalled Morris from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Thursday.
Morris was optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on April 25 after not making an appearance following his call-up April 20. The last time he threw a pitch in the majors was in 2023 for Cleveland. The 27-
year-old has a 2.82 ERA in Triple-A this season across 22.1 innings in 13 games. In a corresponding move, Clarke Schmidt (lat) was placed on the 15-day injured list

At this point we are more in need of "depth starters" than outfielders.

So Kwan has 2 singles in 3 at bats and is now hitting 360. Way ahead of anyone in the AL but not enough at bats to qualify as league leader. Not sure if he'll ever catch up but hitting leadoff will give him a chance.
Freeman hitting behind him drove in Rocchio who had walked; Jose drove in Kwan.
Giminez hitting 6th gives the lineup more depth; of course his 2 hits didn't accomplish anything with Arias hitting a couple spots behind him and has struck out 2 more times and today against a lefty. I have to assume his time is almost up. Tena and Briton have joined Schneeman with hot bats.

Jose ‘No Brakes’ Ramirez keeps delivering ‘wow’ factor for the Guardians

Updated: Jun. 01, 2024, 9:56 p.m.|Published: Jun. 01, 2024, 9:40 p.m.
Guardians vs. Nationals, Saturday, June 1, 2024

By Paul Hoynes, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- All eyes were on the ball. Maybe that’s why it was so quiet, because no one knew who was coming directly behind it.

“I was on the bench and I was surprised how quiet the stadium was,” said Ben Lively. “He was just running. Usually you hear this, ‘Ahhhhhh!’ But it was just silent.

“Then he slides in and everyone is cheering.”

By now everyone knows who was coming. It was Jose “No Brakes” Ramirez.

Ramirez scored from second on a wild pitch Saturday afternoon for what proved to be the winning run in the Guardians’ 3-2 victory over the Nationals in front of a sellout crowd of over 36,000.

Kyle Manzardo was on deck when left-hander Mitchell Parker unleashed a wild pitch that deflected off catcher Riley Adams and skipped toward the Nationals’ dugout.

“I was following the ball the whole time,” said Manzardo. “Then I turned and saw the catcher throw it (to home plate) and I said, ‘What the heck?’”

By that time Ramirez was sliding headfirst across the inside part of the plate.

Manager Stephen Vogt was watching the ball as well.

“I was watching to see if it was going to go into their dugout, when I just saw a blur out of the corner of my eye,” said Vogt. “Yeah, it was Josey. It was a cool play.”

Ramirez created the winning run.

Ramirez stole second as David Fry struck out for the second out of the inning. Then he kicked it into overdrive to score on the wild pitch.

“As soon as I saw the ball bouncing (away from the catcher), my reaction was I’m going home,” said Ramirez, through interpreter Agustin Rivero.

When Ramirez hit third, there was no hesitation. Third base coach Rouglas Odor was a non-factor. Ramirez was free wheeling.

“Just as I was about to step on the base (third) the catcher was still chasing the ball,” said Ramirez. “That’s when I realized I had a chance come home.”

There was one more part to the play. How did Ramirez decide on what part of the plate to slide to?

“When I saw the pitcher covering the base, I tried to get a better angle so I could get in a better position for the slide,” said Ramirez.

Parker was behind the plate when he took the throw from Adams.

Ramirez is hitting .276 (63 for 228) with 44 runs, 16 homers, 57 RBI and a .885 OPS. He has reached base in 11 straight games, hitting .381 (16 for 42) along the way.

In May he hit .295 (31 for 105) with 11 homers and 33 RBI.

“I wish people could hear our dugout when he does some of the things he does,” said Vogt. “We are all wowed still every day by him.”

Ramirez was asked if he thinks the young players on the Guardians can learn things from watching him play. He said it’s possible, but he added, “It’s not only instincts, it’s also speed. You have to be fast to do those things.”

The switch-hitting Ramirez, 31, and can still fly. After Saturday, who would dare argue the point?

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

J-Ram's aggressive baserunning evokes Cleveland's playoff past

7:42 PM CDT

Mandy Bell

@MandyBell02

CLEVELAND -- When you can only think of a handful of instances that a certain play has occurred in the past, you know it has to take some skill (and speed) to pull it off.

On October 17, 1995, Kenny Lofton scored from second base on a passed ball in Game 6 of the ALCS. Jason Kipnis did it on a wild pitch in Game 7 of the 2016 World Series. Maybe it was only a random June game when José Ramírez did it on Saturday, but in front of a sold-out crowd, you would’ve thought it was a playoff atmosphere.

Ramírez scored from second base on a wild pitch in the third inning, and it ended up being the deciding run in the Guardians' 3-2 victory over the Nationals at Progressive Field. Cleveland’s winning streak at home is now nine straight games.

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

He is a Very Special Player!
It will be appropriate if he winds up topping Cleveland all time records in all sorts of categories.
He'll need 105 homeruns to match Thome
281 RBI to match Earl Averill
326 runs to match Averill
148 doubles to match Tris Speaker
241 steals to match Kenny Lofton; so forget that one but he only needs 68 to match Omar Vizquel for No. 2
662 hits to match Nap Lajoie
443 walks to match Thome [he may get that many intentional walks this season]

I kind of forgot that they opened a spot on the 40man roster when Florial was DFAd so room opened for Schneemann.
We can hope he duplicates Fry who had a similar history of lengthy rather undistinguished minor league career until he suddenly became hitter.
Although that is doubtful, perhaps he'll be a good LH hitting utility IF.