Re: GameTime!™

Cleveland Guardians, Houston Astros lineups for May 2, 2024: Game 31

Published: May. 02, 2024, 4:41 p.m.

By Paul Hoynes, cleveland.com

HOUSTON -- Left-hander Logan Allen will be making his second start of this trip and his seventh of the season when he faces the Astros on Thursday night at Minute Maid Park.

Allen (3-1, 5.46) opened this six-game trip on April 26 at Truist Park against the Braves and veteran lefty Chris Sale. Steven Kwan’s leadoff homer game him a quick 1-0 lead and Allne’s first turn through Atlanta’s powerful lineup went well.

Then he walked Austin Riley to start the fourth and hit Matt Olson with a pitch to start a three-run inning that turned into a 6-2 Atlanta win. Pitching coach Carl Willis has talked to Allen about taking the aggressiveness he showed in the first three innings against Atlanta and carrying it deeper into his starts.

Game 31.

Where: Minute Maid Park, Thursday 8:10 p.m.
TV/radio: Bally Sports Great Lakes, WTAM, WMMS and the Guardians radio network will carry the game.
Teams: Guardians 20-10 vs. Astros 10-20.
Starting pitchers: LHP Logan Allen (3-1, 5.46) vs. RHP Spencer Arrighetti (0-3, 10.97).

Lineups

Guardians

LF Steven Kwan.
2B Andres Gimenez.
3B Jose Ramirez.
1B Josh Naylor.
RF Will Brennan.
DH Estevan Florial.
C Bo Naylor.
CF Gabriel Arias.
SS Brayan Rocchio.

Astros

2B Jose Altuve.
3B Alex Breman.
DH Yordan Alvarez.
RF Kyle Tucker.
SS Jeremy Pena.
C Yainer Diaz.
1B Jon Singleton.
LF Mauricio Dubon.

CF Jake Meyers.

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

https://twitter.com/i/status/1786033632131297387

Steven Kwan’s walk-off catch was a Gold Glove dream: Guardians Breakfast

Updated: May. 02, 2024, 3:45 p.m.|Published: May. 02, 2024, 10:11 a.m.

By Joe Noga, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Steven Kwan called “game,” but it was his glove that spoke the loudest Wednesday in Houston.

Cleveland’s Gold Glove left fielder made a sensational diving catch on a soft liner by Mauricio Dubón in the 10th inning that would have tied the score in extra innings. Instead, Kwan gathered himself after the catch and threw to second base to double up automatic runner Victor Caratini and rescue a 3-2 victory for the Guardians.

It snapped a brief two-game losing skid and marked Cleveland’s second win in it’s last four games, all extra-innings affairs.

In a postgame interview with Bally Sports Great Lakes, Kwan said he was not aware just how far Caratini had strayed from the bag, nor exactly how much time he had to get the ball to Andrés Giménez at second.

“That ball was sinking, a line drive and I just had to go get it,” Kwan said. “That’s kind of a dead spot where it’s at. I just had to go get it. I saw Gimi waving his hands. I didn’t know I had that much time. I tried to scramble and get it out (of my glove). Luckily we got him.”

Kwan, who drove in the game-winning run with a double in the top of the 10th and delivered an RBI triple in the fifth, told Bally’s Andre Knott that Cleveland’s never-quit approach is alive and well, even after a tough stretch of games against Atlanta and the Astros.

“It just shows the resilience of our team, the boys, our staff,” Kwan said. “We’re never giving up. We’ve got a lot of life.”

Volume opponent

Astros righty Justin Verlander made his 56th career start against Cleveland, taking a no decision in Wednesday’s contest. It’s the most games against any one opponent for the 19-year veteran and future Hall of Famer.

Verlander has compiled a 23-24 mark in those 56 starts with a 4.41 ERA in 352 2/3 innings. He has allowed 319 hits and 126 walks while giving up 132 earned runs. He has 366 career strikeouts against Cleveland hitters, more than any other opponent he has faced.

Verlander’s 366 strikeouts are the second-most among active pitchers and 35th all-time against a single opponent behind Dodgers lefty Clayton Kershaw, who has 402 punchouts in his career against the Giants.

Tonight’s game

The Guardians will face winless rookie Spencer Arrighetti on Thursday in the series finale at Minute Maid Park.

Arrighetti (0-3. 10.97) struck out seven but allowed seven hits and four runs in 3 2/3 innings in his last start, against the Cubs.

Arrighetti, 24, has pitched in parts of four minor league seasons with the Astros, going 19-15 with a 4.37 ERA.

Logan Allen (3-1, 5.46) will start for the Guards at 8:10 p.m. Bally Sports Great Lakes, MLB Network, WTAM 1100 AM, WMMS 100.7 FM and the Guardians Radio Network will carry the game.

Trivia time:

Steven Kwan is the fifth player in Cleveland franchise history with seven 3-hit games in the club’s first 30 contests of the season. Can you name any of the other four hitters to accomplish the feat? Answer below.

What’s next

Here’s what’s next for the Guardians following Thursday’s game against Houston:

Trivia answer:

Besides Kwan, the other four players with at least seven 3-hit games in the club’s first 30 of a season are Lyn Lary, 1937 (10 times); Nap Lajoie, 1904 (8); Tris Speaker, 1922 (7); Freddy Spurgeon, 1926 (7).

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Don't understand the Beede move.
I guess Vogt is letting Beede take one for the team.
We had a chance to win this one.
I think Vogt just surrendered that thought.
I think I'd be pi$$ed if I were one of the guys unless there are extenuating circumstances.
-- Bob Feller

WoW! Who is this Avila guy?
-- Bob Feller

Bo seems lost at the plate.
-- Bob Feller

Well that was a stinker.
Allen gave us a chance to win this one.
In my opinion, some iffy pitching decisions.
Appears Beede took one for the team.
We live to play another day.
-- Bob Feller

Think I'll put this one in the rear view mirror.
-- Bob Feller

Logan Allen victimized by Guardians’ poor defense in 8-2 loss to Astros

Updated: May. 02, 2024, 10:59 p.m.|Published: May. 02, 2024, 10:52 p.m.

By Paul Hoynes, cleveland.com
HOUSTON -- The box score says that Logan Allen allowed three runs on Thursday night at Minute Maid Park. Sometimes the box score doesn’t tell the whole truth.

Allen, with a little more more help from his defense, could have left his start against the Astros with no runs allowed and a possible victory.

As it was, Allen and the Guardians ended this six-game trip with an 8-2 loss to the Astros because they didn’t score enough runs against a rookie pitcher and played some of their worst defense of the season.

The strange thing is the game started with Gold Glove second baseman Andres Gimenez putting on a clinic with three fine plays in the first two innings. It was all downhill from there.

For starters, Allen had to get five outs in the third inning, but he emerged from that with a 2-1 lead.

The real damage was done in the fifth when the Gabriel Arias experiment in center field may have taken its last breath.

Allen started the sixth with a 2-1 lead. He struck out Kyle Tucker, but Jeremy Pena sent a fly ball to the wall in left center field. Arias, making just his second start in center because Tyler Freeman is in a slump, tracked the ball down and was in position to make the catch. The ball, however, glanced off his glove with Pena being credited with a triple.

Yainer Diaz, the next batter, struck out. The inning would have been over if Arias made the catch. But Jon Singleton, who started Allen’s problems in the third with a Minute Maid Park roof ball, continued them with a two-run homer to right for a 3-2 lead.

Allen was done for the night and so were the Guardians.

Arias, though, was just getting loose in center field.

Jake Meyers started the seventh with a liner to center. Arias tried to make a sliding catch, but missed and kicked the ball to wall. Meyers didn’t stop running until he reached third. Houston’s second triple in as many innings off Arias’ body led to a five-run inning and a 8-2 lead.

Tyler Beede was charged with all five runs in one-third of an inning.

The Guardians took a 2-0 lead in the third off Houston rookie Spencer Arrighetti, who entered the game at 0-3 with a 10.97 ERA. Gimenez hit a RBI double and slumping Jose Ramirez followed with a sacrifice fly.

Brayan Rocchio doubled with one out to put the inning in motion. Arrighetti walked Steven Kwan to bring Gimenez to the plate. Gimenez worked the count full before doubling to right on the sixth pitch of the at-bat to score Rocchio and send Kwan to third.

Ramirez, in a 3 for 21 skid, sent a fly ball to medium deep left field. Kwan, sliding to the front of the plate, scored ahead of a strong throw from Mauricio Dubon as Gimenez went to third.

The Guards had a chance to do more damage when Josh Naylor walked on a pitch clock violation by Arrighetti. But Will Brennan’s drive to left was caught at the track.

The Astros made it 2-1 in the third with the help of Minute Maid Park’s retractable roof and some poor defense that made Allen to get five outs in the inning.

Singleton started the inning with a foul pop behind the plate. Bo Naylor was parked under it for the out, but the ball never came down. According to the ballpark ground rules, it was a foul ball. Singleton continued his at bat and reached on a single to third.

Dubon followed with a single, but Allen struck out Jake Meyers for what should have been the second out. Jose Altuve was next and with the count 3-2 Houston’s second baseman skied a foul ball in front of the Houston dugout.

The Naylor brothers converged on it from first and catcher and let the ball fall between them for what should have been the third out of the inning.

Altuve followed with an infield single to load the base. Gimenez saved a run by keeping the ball from reaching the outfield.

Allen retired Alex Bregman on a pop up, but Singleton scored on a passed ball by Bo Naylor to make it 2-1 with Yordan Alvarez batting. Allen finally retired Alvarez for the fifth and final out of the inning.

In his seventh start of season, Allen (3-2, 5.11) allowed three runs, two earned, in 5 2/3 innings. He struck out five and walked one.

Next:

The Guardians return home to open a three-game series against the Angels on Friday night. The pitching matchup will be RHP Trevor Stephan (2-0, 3.45) vs. RHP Jose Soriano (0-4, 4.76) at 7:10 p.m. Bally Sports Great Lakes, WTAM, WMMS, WARF will carry the series. MLB-At-Bat will carry Friday’s game.

<
-- Bob Feller

Freeman hit 3 homers which is loads better than Straw but that's not enough to make for a sub 200 average. Straw is barely at 250 in AAA and finally has hit a single homer. I think we were all confident DeLauter would quickly ascend to the majors; the team was too I'm sure. But not happening.