Re: General Discussion

rusty2 wrote:LaPorta, Phelps, and Canzler are not prospects. Phelps has absolutely no value.

If the Indians do not get a major league hitter before the end of the deadline then there is no reason to watch this team.

They should be able to get Soriano and LaHair for almost nothing.
You're probably right on that point. I've had that feeling for quite some time now.

Rosenthal On Orioles, Liriano, Soriano, Diamondbacks

By Zach Links [July 28 at 4:03pm CST]

Let's take a look at the latest edition of Full Count from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (video link)..

The Orioles figure to make at least one trade before the non-waiver deadline and one source says they are the most aggressive team on Francisco Liriano of the Twins. Multiple source also say they're also aggressive on the Padres' Chase Headley. Unfortunately for the O's, they lack chips beyond Manny Machado and Dylan Bundy, and aren't moving either player. As a result, they could be open to discussing major league pieces like Jake Arrieta or even Zach Britton.

Alfonso Soriano's name has surfaced in the Cubs' discussions with the Dodgers, but the Cubs might prefer to wait until the offseason and make a better deal. The veteran is on pace to hit 31 homers and post a .831 OPS. After this season, he'll have two-years and $36MM remaining and the Cubs could find him a home in the AL if they pay that down to about $12MM per year.

The D'Backs don't plan to trade Justin Upton now but they will likely move an outfielder this offseason between Upton, Chris Young, and Gerardo Parra. Arizona has two young outfielders that they like in Triple-A in Adam Eaton and A.J. Pollock.

I would not trade our best hitter. But then if I owned the team I also would try to sign Choo for a long term deal and the secondraters who own this team obviously won't make a serious effort. Although they
could be guaranteed to pretend to. We have only 3 other hitters who qualify as major league caliber.

The team has absolutely no chance to make the postseason this season with Choo or without him. Trading him will make my 70-92 predicted record more possible. It will also prove that the Indians are set to become the New Pirates.

I seem to recall that before Travis Hafner signed his contract, a lot of us were saying that he should be signed to a long term deal with us. So, how is that working out for us? Travis' track record was substantially better than Choo's going into that contract.

This is not an attempt to say we shouldn't, but when things don't work out too well, we are stuck. This past weekend the announcers were saying that part of Minnesotas problem is they have 40% of their payroll invested in Mauer and Morneau. Other than kicking our asses this weekend, they have not done much.
UD

Marte, 23, made his big-league debut Thursday. Batting leadoff, he hit the first pitch he saw for a home run. Marte, a right-handed hitter, is hitting .222 (4-for-18) in four games for the Pirates.
He put together an impressive year at Class AAA Indianapolis before his promotion. Marte was hitting .286 (111-for-388) with 21 doubles, 13 triples, 12 homers, 62 RBI and 21 steals.
This is Marte's sixth year in the Pirates' minor-league system.
Scouts say he swings at too many off-speed pitches, but they like his speed and power. Some think he could be a 20-20 man (20 homers, 20 steals). Defensively, Marte grades out as a good defender with a strong arm.

I smell a stiff
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Uncle Dennis wrote:I seem to recall that before Travis Hafner signed his contract, a lot of us were saying that he should be signed to a long term deal with us. So, how is that working out for us? Travis' track record was substantially better than Choo's going into that contract.

This is not an attempt to say we shouldn't, but when things don't work out too well, we are stuck. This past weekend the announcers were saying that part of Minnesotas problem is they have 40% of their payroll invested in Mauer and Morneau. Other than kicking our asses this weekend, they have not done much.
And the trend today is not just to pay big amounts of salary, but also sign 9 or 10 year contracts. Very risky.