Re: Just Baseball: Major League teams OTHER THAN the Tribe

PHOENIX --

Dodgers Cy Young candidate Clayton Kershaw officially won the National League pitchers Triple Crown on Monday night without even pitching.

Kershaw finished the season tying with Arizona's Ian Kennedy for the league lead with 21 wins, and when Cliff Lee struck out six in six innings Monday night, it assured Kershaw of the most strikeouts in the league at 248 and the ERA title at 2.28.

Kershaw is the 30th overall and 16th NL pitching Triple Crown winner since 1900 and the first Dodger since Sandy Koufax in 1966.

He also leads the league in opponents batting average (.207). According to Elias, at 23 Kershaw is the youngest 20-game winner in the Major Leagues since Dwight Gooden in 1985 and the youngest Dodgers 20-game winner since Ralph Branca in 1947.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel

"Ricky Nolasco's season ended Sunday. So perhaps did his tenure with the Marlins Get your Marlins Tickets now!. A source who spoke with a Marlins front office member after Nolasco's latest disheartening start said the club will give serious thought to trading him this offseason. Despite their need for starting pitching, the Marlins' exasperation level with Nolasco appears to be red-lining. Sunday, he gave up seven runs (six earned) on nine hits over two-plus innings in the Brewers' series-sweeping 9-5 win at Miller Park. Nolasco's ERA ballooned from 3.72 to 4.67 thanks to a season-ending, eight-start stretch in which he went 1-4 with an 8.18 ERA and 64 hits allowed in 44 innings.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

MIAMI --

Right-hander Stephen Strasburg pitched six scoreless innings and helped the Nationals win their season finale, 3-1, on Wednesday in the final Major League baseball game played at Sun Life Stadium.

Strasburg allowed just one hit and struck out 10.

The Nationals end the season with an 80-81 record, their second-best record since moving to the nation's capital after the 2004 season. But all the talk was about how much the players wanted Davey Johnson to return as manager of the team.
-- Bob Feller

MIAMI --

A new voice, new leader and renewed energy has landed with the Marlins.

Ozzie Guillen was named the Marlins' manager on Wednesday afternoon at Sun Life Stadium.

The vocal, enthusiastic and sometimes controversial skipper has signed a four-year contract, two days after being released from his deal with the White Sox, which ended an eight-year association with them.

"Welcome to a new era in Marlins baseball," Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria said. "As you all know we are celebrating two things today: Closing our time here at Sun Life Stadium and the introduction of my friend, Ozzie, over here."

Two sources told MLB.com that Guillen's deal is worth about $10 million, at about $2.5 million a season.

The hiring comes on the final day the Marlins play at Sun Life Stadium, their home for 19 seasons. Next year, the Marlins move into their 37,000-seat, retractable-roof ballpark in the Little Havana section of Miami.

Guillen made it clear he is in town to provide some passion and life to the market.

"My goal is when fans leave the ballpark, they want to come back and watch the ballclub," he said. "As soon as they get out [they say], 'I'm going to bring my kids out to watch those guys play because they've got energy, they play hard.'"

Because the White Sox retained their rights to Guillen, they received two prospects -- infielder Ozzie Martinez and right-handed reliever Jhan Marinez -- from the Marlins.

Technically, the transaction was not a trade.

After being released from his contract on Monday, Guillen technically could have negotiated with any interested team. He arrived with his wife and children to South Florida on Tuesday.

The Marlins negotiated on Tuesday from 2:45 p.m. ET at the new ballpark. Guillen turned down the first offer, and the sides reached agreement at 10:48 p.m., when Guillen and his family were back at their hotel.

Guillen brings a definite edge, and a tough, speak-his-mind style to a youthful team.

The Venezuelan native is about winning. He won World Series titles as a coach (Marlins in 2003) and manager (White Sox in '05). As a player in 1999, he was on the Braves team that lost to the Yankees in the World Series.

But Guillen made it clear, managing is a job, and he wants to make money.

"My biggest satisfaction in this game is rings," Guillen said. "My goal is to have more money."

Fiery and energetic, the 47-year-old Guillen provides high-profile presence for the franchise as it moves into its new ballpark.

"He not only lights a fire, but he brings a passion, and he brings a tremendous amount of respect," Loria said. "We have a tremendous amount of respect for each other. That's why he is here."

On Nov. 11, the club will officially change to the Miami Marlins, and Guillen is the first of many changes expected as the team looks to rebuild into a contender.

"We needed more energy here and going into our new ballpark," Loria said. "Everything is about timing, and it just happened to all work."

A former All-Star shortstop, Guillen was the Marlins' third-base coach in 2002-03.

After the Marlins won the 2003 World Series, Guillen was hired to manage the White Sox.

In 2005, he guided Chicago to the World Series title, and the Venezuelan native won the American League Manager of the Year in the process.

"Players like to play for me," Guillen said. "Maybe two or three guys don't, because they don't go about it the right way. But if you play for me, you're going to have fun.

Guillen noted that since he stepped away from Chicago, White Sox ace Mark Buehrle said how much he was missed.

"I've got Mark Buerhle. The first thing he says was, 'I wish that Ozzie was here.' That's your ace," Guillen said. "That gives me more satisfaction than anything else. That's the goal. If they don't like me, I respect that. But I have more players respect me. If they don't like me, that's fine. I may not like them either."

In recent days, Guillen said his family has received a number of messages from players saying they'd like to play in Miami.

Guillen jokes that he doesn't sign the checks, and it isn't his call.

By being outspoken, Guillen has the tendency to direct attention away from his players and onto himself.

"I'm here to be criticized because that's our job to be criticized and second guessed," he said. "I let the players play ball and blame me."

Guillen was 678-617 in his tenure with the White Sox, including a 78-82 mark this season.

The Marlins are still putting together a coaching staff. Only three slots are filled. Joey Cora is leaving Chicago to join Guillen in Miami as the bench coach.

Pitching coach Randy St. Claire will be back, as well as hitting coach Eduardo Perez.

The rest of the staff is expected to be finalized sometime before the end of October. Joe Espada (third base/outfield), Perry Hill (first base/infield), Reid Cornelius (bullpen), Brandon Hyde (bench), and Jeffrey Urgelles (bullpen catcher) are all being reviewed.

The Marlins are at a pivotal point in their history.

After finishing last in the National League East, to return to playoff prominence, the franchise will look to restock its roster.

In the new building, the payroll projects to rise from $58 million this year to about $80 million.

"We're disappointed," Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest said. "We wanted to build momentum as we're moving into the new ballpark. It didn't happen. We have some work to do. I think [this time] is very important."

Guillen's hiring came the day after the Marlins signed second baseman Omar Infante to a two-year, $8 million contract. And in 2012, the franchise plans on having Josh Johnson (right shoulder) and Hanley Ramirez (left shoulder) healthy.

"Ozzie signing. Omar signing," Beinfest said. "Getting a healthy JJ back, and getting Hanley back, and the moves that we make this winter. This is an important year. We really want to make a good showing. We want to get back to October, and do all of those things.

"The ballpark is the ballpark. It's going to be a big attraction, but we want the product on the field also to be."

The Marlins will be looking to add established players, but all Guillen asks for is players to play the game right and give effort.

"I don't need veterans, I need good players," Guillen said. "I need players who care, to be in the same room rooting for each other. I don't need veteran players, I need guys who go out there and play the game right. I'm willing to manage whatever club they put out there because this is my new job and I'm ready.

"I have a lot confidence, which is why I'm called cocky. Just give me the ballclub and let's go for it."

Guillen replaces interim manager Jack McKeon, who announced his retirement on Monday. McKeon, 80, took over the club on June 20 after Edwin Rodriguez resigned.

Guillen was on McKeon's staff in '03, and he played a crucial role, dealing especially with Latin players like Miguel Cabrera, Luis Castillo and Alex Gonzalez.

"Ozzie was good in the area of dealing with the Latin players," McKeon said. "They respected him. I've said all along, the best guys that I've ever had in dealing with the Latin players were Ozzie and Sandy Alomar.

"They were your friend, yet they were not afraid to get on them and to tell them that what they were doing was unacceptable, and that they were better than that. A lot of players want to be your friend."

One of Guillen's objectives will be to get the most out of Ramirez, who batted a career-low .243 before undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery.

"To me, Hanley Ramirez is the biggest piece of the puzzle," Guillen said. "My job is to make this guy put a smile on his face, enjoy this game and enjoy the game the way it should be played. Not the way Ozzie thinks it should be played, but the way it should be played. A lot of kids look up to him, I look up to him myself ... but there's one thing I've got to tell you: This kid is going to be back to where he was and he's going to be playing the game the way it should be played. ... This kid is one that might take off to the prime-time."

McKeon, also known for being fiery, says when a coach or a manager gets on a player, it is to get improvement.

"It's constructive criticism, it's not destructive," McKeon said. "I'm doing it for your benefit. I'm not doing it because I don't like you.

"If you let everybody continue to be non-productive, and you want to do that stuff, that's not my job. My job is to jump you, make you better. Make you realize that this is the way to do it. It's not going to be tolerated to be comfortable and not work at your job. If they think that is criticism, so be it."

The hiring of Guillen breaks a trend by the organization to go with candidates without previous big league managing experience.

McKeon was the last candidate to step in having previously guided a big league club.

After McKeon stepped down after the 2005 season, Joe Girardi took over in '06, followed by Fredi Gonzalez from 2007-10. Rodriguez was promoted from Triple-A to replace Gonzalez in June 2010.

When Rodriguez stepped down, Loria stated he wanted his next manager to be a leader with a big league managing resume.

Guillen had been a possibility last October, but because he was still under contract with the White Sox, the clubs discussed compensation. Although there were rumors that a trade of Guillen for outfielder Mike Stanton was rumored, those reports weren't true.

The White Sox did seek Logan Morrison, but the Marlins weren't interested in parting with a highly regarded young player.

Under Guillen, the youthful Marlins can expect to be pushed to work hard.

"He's going to make everybody play hard," said Javier Vazquez, who played for Guillen with the White Sox in 2006-07. "He's a tough manager, a good manager. He's going to be good. He's going to be good for the team."

Guillen brings star power to the franchise that competes in one of the toughest divisions in baseball.

"He's a colorful guy," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "We are very, very good friends. I've known him since he was 18. He is colorful. He is outspoken. But his passion for the game, his love for the game -- he manages like he played sometimes, and that's all-out with a little flair to it. It will be fun."
-- Bob Feller

Not very useful, but I just got this from MLB:

ALDS

TB vs. TEX

TB @ TEX, Sept. 30, 5:07PM
TB @ TEX, Oct. 1, TBD
TEX @ TB, Oct. 3, TBD
TEX @ TB, Oct. 4, TBD*
TB @ TEX, Oct. 6, TBD*

DET vs. NYY

DET @ NYY, Sept. 30, 8:37PM
DET @ NYY, Oct. 1, TBD
NYY @ DET, Oct. 3, TBD
NYY @ DET, Oct. 4, TBD*
DET @ NYY, Oct. 6, TBD*

NLDS

STL vs. PHI

STL @ PHI, Oct. 1, TBD
STL @ PHI, Oct. 2, TBD
PHI @ STL, Oct. 4, TBD
PHI @ STL, Oct. 5, TBD*
STL @ PHI, Oct. 7, TBD*

ARI vs. MIL

ARI @ MIL, Oct. 1, TBD
ARI @ MIL, Oct. 2, TBD
MIL @ ARI, Oct. 4, TBD
MIL @ ARI, Oct. 5, TBD*
ARI @ MIL, Oct. 7, TBD*

A few more specifics:

Don't Miss the #Postseason - Watch on TBS

ALDS

TB vs. TEX

TB @ TEX, Sept. 30, 5:00PM
TB @ TEX, Oct. 1, 7:00PM (On TNT)
TEX @ TB, Oct. 3, 5:00PM
TEX @ TB, Oct. 4, TBD*
TB @ TEX, Oct. 6, TBD*

DET vs. NYY

DET @ NYY, Sept. 30, 8:30PM
DET @ NYY, Oct. 1, 8:30PM
NYY @ DET, Oct. 3, 8:30PM
NYY @ DET, Oct. 4, TBD*
DET @ NYY, Oct. 6, TBD*

NLDS

STL vs. PHI

STL @ PHI, Oct. 1, 5:00PM
STL @ PHI, Oct. 2, 8:00PM
PHI @ STL, Oct. 4, TBD
PHI @ STL, Oct. 5, TBD*
STL @ PHI, Oct. 7, TBD*

ARI vs. MIL

ARI @ MIL, Oct. 1, 2:00PM
ARI @ MIL, Oct. 2, 4:30PM
MIL @ ARI, Oct. 4, TBD
MIL @ ARI, Oct. 5, TBD*
ARI @ MIL, Oct. 7, TBD*

What seemed evident yesterday is expected to become final today with the Red Sox and Terry Francona parting ways after eight seasons.

The manager will meet with GM Theo Epstein and ownership at 10 a.m. today and the expected resolution according to major league sources will be a mutual agreement for Francona to leave the organization.

The decision is coming from the ownership level according to sources. While Epstein was careful to say yesterday that he did not blame Francona, owner John Henry has remained quiet on the subject.

During the team's September collapse, Francona said several times that he had no communication with Henry.

Francona would not necessarily be fired. His contract has expired and he has two one-year, $4.5 million options. The team would simply elect not to pick up those options, a decision he would support given his apparent desire to move on and his displeasure with the team's chemistry.

Asked yesterday whether he wanted to remain with the Sox, Francona's answer was strikingly non-committal.

“Theo and I talked today a little bit. I think we’ll continue to talk tomorrow. Maybe it’s best today to stay with where we’re at,” Francona said. “It’s still pretty fresh and pretty raw. It’s a fair question.”

The Red Sox, given their status in baseball, would not lack for candidates. Bench coach DeMarlo Hale would be the only internal possibility.

Francona would be considered by the Chicago White Sox, who are seeking a new manager in the wake of Ozzie Guillen going to the Marlins. Francona's calm approach would be seen as a tonic on Chicago following the tumult that often surrounded Guillen. He is a former minor league manager in the White Sox organization and has the respect of owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

More to come.

Red Sox make Francona their scapegoat

September 30, 2011

NEW YORK – These men are hired for these jobs in baseball, to manage ballgames for a few hours a night and try not to do anything so stupid that it gets in the way of the actual baseball players.

For the other 21 hours, well, that’s the hard part.

They used to be called “field managers,” but hardly anyone says that now. Because, anymore, such a small percentage of what they do actually takes place on the field.

Terry Francona and his Boston Red Sox boss, Theo Epstein, sat shoulder to shoulder Thursday afternoon in a small room at Fenway Park. Each was bent a little at the neck, each crossed his arms across his chest, each blinked at the table too much.

They were miserable. One, or both, was on his way out. For good. That much was clear.

Out there, past the old brick of their ballpark, across the ruins of their season, the New York Yankees – the stinkin’ Yankees – were readying for October, like seven other teams.

But not the Red Sox, the $165 million Red Sox, the hugely favored Red Sox, the collapsible Red Sox.

They’d sit in a press room and explain to Boston what the hell just happened, and whose fault it was, how it all got so soft and bloated, and when exactly it was supposed to be fixed.

Epstein got this job at 28, back in 2002. He hired Francona, who’d just spent four difficult seasons as the manager in Philadelphia, a year later, after Grady Little had screwed up the first rule of field managing – which is to try not to overthink the damned game.

As luck would have it, the Red Sox would win their World Series in 2004. They’d win again three years later. Under Epstein and alongside Francona, the Red Sox had themselves a decade.

Or most of a decade, anyway.

Now the Red Sox aren’t smarter than everybody anymore. They took to black-topping their bad decisions with money, which granted them the freedom for more decisions, which led to more spending, which turned them into the Yankees.

Hey, it happens, and it’s not necessarily a bad thing. It just has been lately. The Red Sox haven’t won a playoff game since Oct. 18, 2008. That’s three years, going on four. They’ve posted back-to-back third-place finishes in the American League East, in part because the Tampa Bay Rays are smarter, more streamlined, and hungrier.

You know, all the things people used to say about the Red Sox.

Want to know the difference between the Red Sox and Rays? A few days ago, there were reports Epstein hoped to acquire Chris Capuano (notes) or Bruce Chen (notes) for a possible one-game playoff against the Rays. Yesterday, the Rays, sort of in a jam for a Game 1 starter against the Texas Rangers , announced they’d give the ball to 22-year-old left-hander Matt Moore (notes) .

Ultimately, the Red Sox – and Epstein – boxed themselves in. The climate they’d created to chase down and then overcome the Yankees had dissolved into a talent grab, a revenue grab. Screw tomorrow; the Yankees are out there.

And so, on a late September day, Epstein leaned into a microphone and granted that, yes, somewhere along the line, the Red Sox had misplaced their clubhouse chemistry. Players, he said, were out of shape.

“Nobody blames Tito for what happened in September,” Epstein said. “That would be totally irresponsible and totally shortsighted.”

But, in the 21 hours which surround the game, what the manager is in charge of is chemistry and preparation. Instead, Epstein seemed to be saying, the Red Sox were disconnected and fat.

The next morning came word that Francona would not be back. Not fired, exactly. Francona’s contract was due to expire and the team would not exercise his 2012 option.

Totally irresponsible, meet totally shortsighted.

Now Francona, about the best thing to happen to the Red Sox in eight decades, would be free to find work with the Chicago White Sox , if he so chose. And the Red Sox owners, along with Epstein, had their scapegoat, much as they’d try to think of other words for it.

The Boston Globe reported Friday morning that Francona was definitely out, and that the decision came from “ownership level,” which is John Henry.

Presumably, the Red Sox will now seek the antidote to Francona’s player-friendly managing style, a man with a harder edge and a passion for sit-ups and wind sprints.

Maybe that’ll work for a while too.

What the Red Sox experienced was complete institutional failure. While that became most evident for those three hours every night, it was the other 21 they messed up.

Nonetheless, Lucchino lauded Francona for his hard work and contributions to the Red Sox's accomplishments.

"We owe him a debt of gratitude and the work he has done with this franchise," Lucchino said. "He was a central component in the historic success this franchise achieved over the last eight years. He leaves here with our respect and deep appreciation for his accomplishments."

Henry was not present at management's news conference due to a minor injury he suffered on his yacht earlier the day.

LOL!

Some writer got a touche in on that one.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/i ... two-titles