Re: Draft Folder

BA mock draft report:

8. INDIANS: Cleveland might consider Rendon or Starling but has never paid the kind of money either would require and ultimately would prefer a college pitcher for the third straight year. The best-case scenario for the Indians is that Bauer, Bundy or Bradley gets to them.

Projected Pick: Trevor Bauer

If memory serves me.......didn't Arizona have a hard time with their #1 pick last year? Didn't want to lay out the big bucks. Now this year they have 2 picks in the top ten, both of them above the Tribe. If $ is an issue....maybe they settle for someone who is signable, maybe giving Cleveland a better pick at #8.

By Mark Polishuk [November 19, 2010 at 6:35pm CST]

The Rangers have signed Barret Loux, reports T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com. Anthony Andro of the Star-Telegram reports that Loux's contract is worth $312K.

Loux, 21, was drafted sixth overall by Arizona in the 2010 amateur draft but wasn't signed after he failed a physical due to a shoulder injury. The right-hander was granted free agency and drew the interest of several clubs after a pair of throwing sessions in September.

If I remember right, Arizona didn't want to spend big bucks in the draft. I found this from A M.L. forum from last August on Barret Loux.....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSox
If he's a Top 6 talent then he's worth taking the chance on. Letting him rehab and working him slowly, he could turn out to be a huge steal.

Iftyg33........problem is he isnt a top 6 talent. he was ranked the 35th best draft prospect by BA and 42nd by keith law. the d-backs took him because they wanted signability over talent. he was cheap and even though he has a low upside, he had a high floor. now that hes injured, he is no longer the "safe" prospect that several teams were interested. i dont think teams are exactly going to be falling over themselves to sign a low-upside prospects with injury problems.

By Jason A. Churchill

With as many premium talents as there are in this year's class, one performance can make the difference between a club drafting one player over another. It can even come down to one plate appearance or one inning of work by a pitcher.

On that note, let's chat about some of the prospects that helped or hurt themselves over the weekend.

Matt Barnes, RHP -- Connecticut
Once again, Barnes showed good velocity deep into his start, hitting 95 mph in the seventh inning and 94 in the eighth. He struck out nine, and induced several swings and misses with his fastball-curveball combination. Barnes walked only two batters, yielded six hits -- all singles -- and may have pulled away from a few of the other college arms over the weekend.

"That is what we have seen from him all season," said an area scout of AL club. "I've seen him better but he settles in right there somewhere bordering dominant." That consistency could be the separating factor.

Trevor Bauer, RHP -- UCLA
I'm bullish on the high pitch counts being a factor, but it's impossible to argue against the results. Bauer went the distance for the seventh time this season and tallied 140 pitches, a season and career high. It's not a number clubs want to see, but it's a mixed bag as to that being a significant, negative factor on draft day.

Bauer is now averaging more than 134 pitches per outing starting with his first start in April, and six of seven complete games have come starting April 9 -- all in succession. For the season, Bauer is averaging just under 128 pitches per start and has thrown 1,658 pitches in 109 2/3 innings. In contrast, teammate Gerrit Cole has thrown 1319 pitches in 12 full starts (one of Cole's 13 starts was shortened to two innings and 24 pitches) for an average of 109 pitches per.

Bauer's curveball has been his calling card of late, but he is still needing all those pitches to get through the ninth, a sign that he's going deep into the count on most hitters.

Archie Bradley, RHP -- Broken Arrow HS (Okla.)
Bradley may have surpassed Spring Valley's Taylor Guerrieri as the No. 2 prep arm in the class behind Oswasso's Dylan Bundy. Bradley beat Bundy's Rams over the weekend, striking out 14 in the complete-game win, touching 95 mph on the gun and flashing a put-away curveball. Bundy did not pitch, as he was needed the prior day for 80-plus pitches.

Bradley could find himself in the conversation among the top 10 picks, and it may come down to how quickly clubs wants the return on investment.

Tony Zych, RHP -- Louisville
Zych fanned four Connecticut Huskies over 1 2/3 innings Saturday, including George Springer on three straight pitches. He's saved 11 games this season and is likely to be among the first few pure relievers taken off the board. When he's at his best he'll touch 98 mph with the fastball but has generally sat 93-95 this season, setting up a hard slider in the 85 mph range.

His delivery has been described to me as "pretty awful" as there's violence, bad arm action and and a low slot that will probably scare some clubs away until Day 2, but the heater has some armside run and the slider a legitimate out pitch. Zych's command and control both need work, however, but he fared well versus Springer and a legit UConn lineup.

Andrew Susac, C -- Oregon State
Susac returned last week but caught a game for the first time this weekend and hit his fifth home run of the year Saturday. The approach is without rust and from what I saw the swing is still sound after the hamate bone injury. He's still getting his timing back, it seems, but otherwise he hasn't missed a beat.

For clubs that have a need behind the plate -- and there are about 25 of them -- Susac could be difficult to pass up as early as the middle of round 1.

Gerrit Cole, RHP -- UCLA
Cole is in a tough spot, as his stock can only go down when it comes to where he's selected. The No. 1 overall prospect was far less than stellar for the fourth time in five starts which could potentially have an impact on his draft status if he's unable to turn it around at least once or twice before the end of the season.

He went all nine innings Friday, but allowed 10 hits and five earned runs. The good news is he needed just 113 pitches -- 74 strikes -- to complete the game and rebounded from a tough first and second innings to toss seven scoreless frames in a row.

Dylan Bundy, RHP -- Owasso HS (Okla.)
Bundy didn't necessarily perform at such a high level over the past four days that might have bettered his draft stock, but the kid ended his senior season over the weekend with a 158-5 strikeouts-to-walks ratio. That's just absurd, especially considering Bundy is far from just a command-and-feel pitcher, often touching the upper-90s with his fastball.

There are clubs that like him quite a bit as an infielder and hitter, too, which is a testament to his athleticism, but he'll undoubtedly be gone early as a starting pitcher.

Alex Meyer, RHP -- Kentucky
Meyer went 6 1/3 innings versus Georgia Friday, allowing three earned runs on seven hits and four walks. He fanned five, threw three wild pitches and hit a batter. It wasn't his best outing, but it also was not a total loss.

Meyer, in short stretches, spotted his fastball, flashed the plus slider and even tossed a couple of above-average changeups, inducing a couple of swings and misses with it. But one scout in attendance took issue with his delivery.

"I'm nitpicking here, because the kid has great stuff, but he flies open early," the scout said. "His release point is not consistent and uses a lot of arm."

Those are all fixable concerns, but without the right adjustments Meyer could end up in the bullpen as a closer. But there were too many good things to take away from this most recent start to throw a reliever tag on him, including throwing his slider for some called strikes.

Update on Purke, Bradley, Jr.
Texas Christian left-hander Matt Purke has not pitched since April 16 due to shoulder bursitis but may pitch Thursday, the school's final series of the regular season. Purke's draft stock is a big question mark at this stage, but he's a draft-eligible sophomore and if he's not a high pick can go back to school and pitch his way into the top 10 a year from now.

Purke threw Sunday in a short simulated game, and would likely be on a strict, low pitch count if he is able to go Thursday.

South Carolina centerfielder Jackie Bradley, Jr. is in a cast (wrist) but shagged fly balls over the weekend. It is unknown whether or not he will be able to return, but it appears he's not going to play for the rest of the regular season, which has just one week remaining.

For the record, the answer is no. The question being: Would it make more sense for Bradley to come back next year and hope to perform a lot better and show the injury isn't a long-term concern? With the chance at hard-slotting for next year's draft and the fact that Bradley, as a senior, would lose all leverage in negotiations anyway, as long as he's a first-day selection he's probably better off signing this summer and getting his professional career under way.

.Updated: May 17, 2011, Archive MLB Draft Preview: Danny Hultzen
Keith Law looks at Danny HultzenMLB Draft Preview: Danny Hultzen

MLB Draft Preview: Danny Hultzen

This is the first complete first-round projection I'll do for the 2011 draft's first round, and the plan is to do three more leading up to June 6, the first day of the draft. As you can see, this is already quite different than the modified mock draft I did last week, which goes to show just how volatile the top of the draft is this year. And a lot more can change between now and the first Monday in June. Stay tuned.

Pittsburgh Pirates
Danny Hultzen, LHP, VirginiaI'm having a hard time seeing Hultzen as the best player on the board, but under Neal Huntington the Pirates have long considered value relative to cost in their drafts, sometimes preferring to spend less in the first round when they see opportunities to spend their savings on other appealing prospects in later rounds. They're still considering Gerrit Cole and Anthony Rendon, and I know they've done their due diligence on Dylan Bundy (but are very unlikely to take him).

Seattle MarinersAnthony Rendon, 3B, RiceI know Jack Zduriencik went to see both Francisco Lindor and Bubba Starling last week, but everyone I talk to says Seattle is taking Rendon if they're happy with the medicals -- and a very good source told me earlier this week that there is nothing structurally wrong with Rendon's shoulder.

Arizona DiamondbacksTrevor Bauer, RHP, UCLA This one seems wide open, although they'd take Hultzen if he's here. Other candidates include Starling and Dylan Bundy.

Baltimore Orioles Dylan Bundy, RHP, Owasso (Okla.) HSI've also heard they're interested in Bauer and Jed Bradley. And Archie Bradley could be a dark horse here.

Kansas City RoyalsGerrit Cole, RHP, UCLA Everyone -- and I mean everyone -- tells me Kansas City wants a college pitcher, although it would consider Bundy because he's polished enough to zip through the minors in two years. It likes local product Starling but (correctly) sees him as someone who'll take more time to reach the majors than the elite college arms will.

Washington NationalsAlex Meyer, RHP, Kentucky They'll jump on Bauer if he's here, but I'm not sure he gets past all three teams ahead of them, or Cole if the Royals pass. Matt Barnes and Jed Bradley are backup options.

Arizona DiamondbacksFrancisco Lindor, SS, Montverde (Fla.) AcademyWorst-case scenario for the D-backs, who are hoping for Bundy or Bauer here with the unprotected pick received after their first pick last year, Barrett Loux, failed his post-draft physical.

Cleveland IndiansSonny Gray, RHP, VanderbiltThey want Bauer and aren't getting him unless someone goes way off the reservation in the top seven. They're linked to almost any college pitcher who'll sign for slot (or near-slot) here.

Chicago CubsBubba Starling, CF, Gardner-Edgerton HS, (Gardner, Kan.)This is still a dream scenario for the Cubs, who I've also heard are connected to Archie Bradley and George Springer.

San Diego PadresMatt Barnes, RHP, UConn.This pick is also unprotected, received as compensation for failing to sign their first pick last year (Karsten Whitson, now a standout for the University of Florida), so look for them to draft someone they know will sign here, like Barnes, Lindor or Javier Baez. There's also a persistent rumor that they're on Cory Spangenberg here, and he would be very signable at this spot.

Houston AstrosArchie Bradley, RHP, Broken Arrow (Okla.) HSBradley is trying to prove the adage that it's not how you start in the draft, but how you finish, as he's showing better velocity than ever down the stretch with a plus-plus curveball. The Astros typically stay close to slot but could spread out Bradley's bonus because he's a two-sport athlete. I've also heard they're interested in Lindor if he gets here, Gray or Cory Spangenberg.

Milwaukee BrewersTaylor Jungmann, RHP, TexasThis is the Brewers' normal pick, so they could go over slot here for Jungmann or George Springer.

New York MetsTaylor Guerrieri, RHP, Spring Valley HS, (Columbia S.C.)The Mets are on Guerrieri, Jungmann, Jed Bradley and Levi Michael, and like Wyoming outfielder Brandon Nimmo but could also wait and overpay him in the sandwich round.

Florida Marlins Cory Spangenberg, SS, Indian River State CollegeEveryone assumes they'd take Archie Bradley if he gets here, and I wouldn't rule out any big high school arm with a plus fastball (Jose Fernandez?). The least likely option is a college position player, followed by a sub-6-foot right-handed pitcher.

Milwaukee BrewersMikie Mahtook, CF, LSUI've heard Spangenberg here, and they did send a small army to see Larry Greene last week, although two sources told me he's not the leading candidate for this unprotected pick. All three of those players would likely agree to slot here.

Los Angeles DodgersJavier Baez, 3B, Arlington Country Day School (Jacksonville, Fla.)I've also heard they're interested in Dillon Howard, Joe Ross and Daniel Norris. I have no idea right now if their budget has changed with the de facto bankruptcy of the parent club, but I assume we'll hear that soon enough.

Los Angeles AngelsJose Fernandez, RHP, Alonso HS (Tampa, Fla.)They're hoping for Lindor or Archie Bradley to fall here, which isn't likely. They could also pick Utah slugger C.J. Cron.

Oakland Athletics George Springer, OF, UConnThey've got a broad mix that includes Josh Bell, Joe Ross, Cory Spangenberg and Levi Michael, but wouldn't pass on Springer if he's still here when they pick.

Boston Red SoxJed Bradley, LHP, Georgia Tech Even with his recent struggles -- he's not missing bats, although he's still getting ground balls and the velocity is fine -- I find it hard to imagine Bradley gets here, but if he does he won't get much farther.

Colorado Rockies John Stilson, RHP, Texas A&MI think Mikie Mahtook lands here if he's not picked at 15 or maybe 18. Stilson missed his last start with a strained lat, but is expected to return and pitch Friday against Taylor Jungmann in what will be a very heavily watched outing.

Toronto Blue JaysJosh Bell, OF, Dallas Jesuit HSToronto seems primed to spend a ton of money in this draft, not just because they have extra picks but because they intend to take the best players available and pay them wherever possible.

St. Louis CardinalsLarry Greene, OF, Berrien County HS (Nashville, Ga.)I've heard the Cardinals and the Nationals are all over Greene, who may have as much raw power as anyone in the draft.

Washington NationalsBrian Goodwin, CF, Miami Dade CollegeThere is talk that they could roll the dice and hope to grab Goodwin in the sandwich round, especially if Greene is here. Cron is also in the mix.

Tampa Bay RaysJoe Ross, RHP, Bishop O'Dowd HS (Oakland, Calif.) Ross brings a good mix of upside and current polish, which is Tampa's ideal player, along with athleticism that they need in their system. Cron is also a possibility.

San Diego PadresTyler Anderson, LHP, OregonThe Pads are linked to a number of college pitchers here.

Boston Red SoxBlake Swihart, C, Cleveland HS (Rio Rancho, N.M.) They're linked to everybody, as usual. The Sox have two sandwich picks this year, which affects how they approach the draft. They liked Anthony Ranaudo last year but were willing to wait on him until the sandwich round, and they got him.

Cincinnati RedsGrayson Garvin, LHP, VanderbiltCollege pitching is the preference here as they'd like to get someone who could help them while the big club is still contending.

Atlanta BravesHenry Owens, LHP, Owens HS (Huntington Beach, Calif.)It sounds like they'll just go best player available here, and aren't hot on one particular player.

San FranciscoRobert Stephenson, RHP, Alhambra (Calif.) HSI've heard they're interested in Stephenson and Ross and athletic outfielders like Goodwin, although the latter would be strange since they just took Gary Brown last year and he has a similar profile.

Minnesota TwinsTyler Beede, RHP, Lawrence Academy (Groton, Mass.) Beede is polished with command and control, but even has some projection left.

Tampa Bay RaysLevi Michael, SS, North CarolinaHe's another player I can't see falling this far, but the various teams I know that are interested in him all have other options available.

Tampa Bay RaysBrandon Nimmo, OF, East HS (Cheyenne, Wyo.)Tampa Bay could set a record for their overall draft budget this year, and Nimmo, who wants $2 million, would fit their desire for high-ceiling position players.

Texas RangersJosh Osich, LHP, Oregon State

2010 MLB Draft
From Bryce Harper at No. 1 overall to James Rice at No. 1,525, take a look back at the news and names from the 2010 MLB Draft. Draft Index

Draft Tracker | Law's Top 100

It may be too early to come to any conclusions about the draft hauls of any organization, but there have been some interesting developments early in the professional careers of several draftees.

While Harper's trek to the big leagues began with a stint in the Arizona Fall League, the Chicago White Sox drafted the first and only player in the class of 2010 to reach the majors in left-hander Chris Sale. Several others are potentially on the brink, however.

Cleveland Indians
The Indians selected a college pitcher for the second straight season, calling the name of Ole Miss southpaw Drew Pomeranz. Pomeranz is dominating in Advanced Class-A Kinston and may not be long for the circuit. A stint in Double-A Akron before the end of the season appears likely, and could put Pomeranz on track to break through to the big leagues sometime in 2012. The Tribe selected outfielder LeVon Washington in the second round, but he's struggling with the bat and his transition to the outfield continues on a rocky path. Third-round pick Tony Wolters may or may not stick at shortstop and 2011 may be step one in that process as he's yet to get much time in the minors. Kyle Blair and Cole Cook have not pitched well in 2011 yet. Catcher Alex Lavisky, the club's eighth round pick, may be a key to the class. He's not hitting for average but has shown a power swing with 10 extra-base hits and in this day and age, a backstop with any offensive ability at all is a tremendous

Gerrit Cole goes #1 in 2nd mock draft

One change at the top can wreak havoc with the rest of the projection, which is what happened here; six or seven picks in the top 10 would change if the Pirates don't do what I'm projecting here at No. 1 overall. A couple of notes before we get into the projection itself:

• Texas A&M starter John Stilson, who already projected as a reliever in pro ball due to a violent delivery, needs surgery to fix a SLAP lesion -- SLAP stands for superior labral from anterior to posterior, and is a type of labrum injury -- in his shoulder and is off the board.

• Another college starter who is destined for the 'pen, TCU righty Kyle Winkler, missed his second weekend in three, reportedly due to arm "tenderness," and probably has to have a good showing at next weekend's regional to put himself back in the top two rounds.

• We're hearing bonus demands on some players, but not all, making the demands that have leaked out (including Josh Bell's intention to send a letter to all 30 teams saying he'd prefer to go to the University of Texas) seem outsized in comparison. I've chosen not to react too strongly to those anecdotal reports until we have numbers in for more players.

Pittsburgh Pirates
Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLAThe Pirates are still seriously on Danny Hultzen and Bubba Starling, and I wouldn't rule Anthony Rendon out entirely, but my gut tells me right now they'll find Cole's raw stuff -- he hit 101 for me on Friday night and touched 100 many times, including in the eighth inning -- too good to pass up.

Seattle MarinersAnthony Rendon, 3B, RiceRendon did play some second base in the Conference USA tournament, and while I don't see that as his future position, or know anyone who does, it would fit with the persistent rumor that Dustin Ackley is headed for left field. Francisco Lindor is still an outside possibility, as he was scheduled to work out for the Mariners, but even if Rendon goes first overall there's still a chance the Mariners take Cole or even Starling. (As for Rendon's position switch, is there a more insane idea than taking a player who has already suffered catastrophic injuries to both ankles and putting him at the most injury-prone position anywhere besides catcher? Are we trying to get Rendon killed? He's a plus defender at third, maybe more than just plus, when healthy. This is a totally unwarranted risk to take.)

Arizona DiamondbacksDanny Hultzen, LHP, Virginia If Hultzen is gone, it's Trevor Bauer or Dylan Bundy here, with Cole and Starling as backup plans. The D-backs had a small army at ASU to see both UCLA arms this weekend, including GM Kevin Towers, and Bauer hit 95 in the first and ninth innings while spinning a shutout. But Hultzen's been their guy all spring.

Baltimore Orioles Dylan Bundy, RHP, Owasso (Okla.) HSIf Bundy goes at No. 3 to Arizona, the Orioles have the other top Oklahoma prep arm, Archie Bradley, in their sights, and I wouldn't rule out Cole here, either.

Kansas City RoyalsMatt Barnes, RHP, UConnCole is still the dream scenario for the Royals, who could end up with Bundy, as well. They're determined to get a pitcher who'll move quickly through their system to the big leagues so that he arrives with all their other premium minor league talent, and given the depth of pitching in this draft they can do that without reaching in the least.

Washington NationalsTrevor Bauer, RHP, UCLAI believe the player the Nationals covet here is Bauer, but they'd be happy with Bubba Starling, who'd give them another headline-grabbing prospect in a system that's already added two of them in the past two drafts. GM Mike Rizzo was also on hand to witness Bauer's shutout on Saturday, and I think they could pencil him into their late 2012 rotation with Stephen Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann.

Arizona DiamondbacksSonny Gray, RHP, VanderbiltGray threw extremely well in the SEC tournament and seems to have established himself as Arizona's safe bet here with an unprotected pick, assuming that bigger names like Bundy are already gone.

Cleveland IndiansFrancisco Lindor, SS, Monteverde (Fla.) AcademyCleveland's board is still wide open; the Indians have indicated they can go over slot, and have even been linked to Archie Bradley, although the biggest names right now are Lindor, Jed Bradley and Javier Baez. If Bauer actually gets here, he's their pick.

Chicago CubsBubba Starling, CF, Gardner-Edgerton HS, (Gardner, Kan.)They've also been tied to George Springer, Javier Baez and Archie Bradley, although the latter seems unlikely with the Cubs saying they're focusing on hitters. They sent a small army in to see Springer at the Big East tournament.

San Diego PadresCory Spangenberg, 3B, Indian River State CollegeI know they're also interested in Barnes and Gray but seem less interested in Lindor than previously thought. Spangenberg is very signable, key for an unprotected pick, but isn't too much of a reach due to his hit and run tools.

Houston AstrosArchie Bradley, RHP, Broken Arrow (Okla.) HSIt sounds like the Astros are prepared to tangle with Bradley's football scholarship to Oklahoma and potentially high price tag. Alternatives include Lindor and Jed Bradley (no relation).

Milwaukee BrewersTaylor Jungmann, RHP, TexasStill hearing the same batch of names here, primarily Jungmann, Mikie Mahtook, Cory Spangenberg and possibly Lindor or Springer. I'm still surprised by how little I'm hearing Jungmann's name, given how good he is. I'm also hearing Utah's C.J. Cron in the Brewers' mix at No. 12 or 15, more likely 15 since he won't go in between the picks. Taylor Guerrieri's also an outside possibility.

New York MetsLevi Michael, SS, North CarolinaI'm guessing they'll take a college player here and prepare to spend in later picks, with Michael, Mahtook and Jungmann all leading candidates. Earlier interest in Taylor Guerrieri seems to have cooled.

Florida Marlins Mikie Mahtook, CF, LSUThe Marlins haven't taken a college position player in the first round since 1996, when they took Fullerton star Mark Kotsay. Since then, the highest they've ever taken a college bat is in the sandwich round with Chris Coghlan in 2006. The Mahtook rumor here gained a lot of steam in the past week, buoyed by the fact they took him in the 39th round in 2008. (They also took outfielder Kess Carter, now a top 200-caliber player at Western Kentucky, in the 43rd round that year.) Spangenberg remains a possibility here and they're linked to every Florida high school player of note in every year.

Milwaukee BrewersC.J. Cron, 1B, UtahCron's a safe, signable plan at this spot, with big raw power and the potential to replace Prince Fielder in a year or two. If Mahtook's here, they'd probably take him, and Spangenberg would fit the bill as an athletic position player with a good swing who'll sign quickly, since this pick is unprotected.

Los Angeles DodgersJavier Baez, 3B, Arlington Country Day School (Jacksonville, Fla.)This really depends on whether they'll be allowed by MLB to go over slot; other names in the mix include expensive guys like Daniel Norris, Dillon Howard and Taylor Guerrieri.

Los Angeles AngelsJose Fernandez, RHP, Alonso HS (Tampa, Fla.)The Halos are also linked to Guerrieri and Dillon Howard. I think they'd like Henry Owens if they were picking 10-15 spots lower.

Oakland Athletics George Springer, OF, UConnThe A's would love Springer or Spangenberg and rate Josh Bell very highly even with his rising price tag. Joe Ross is a backup plan here, with Alex Meyer and Norris also in the conversation.

Boston Red SoxAlex Meyer, RHP, KentuckyThis would be amusing since Boston took Meyer out of high school and made a pretty good run at signing him on deadline day in 2008. They'll take the best player who falls here but are less likely to take a prep arm than anything else.

Colorado Rockies Kolten Wong, 2B, HawaiiThe Rockies are heavy on Wong and Cron, with one (non-Rockies) cross-checker indicating that he thought they were down to those two players for this pick.

Toronto Blue JaysJed Bradley, LHP, Georgia TechIn just about any other draft Bradley would be a top 10-15 pick, but the depth of college arms and trouble with his breaking ball have him sliding on many boards, although he could still go as high as No. 8 (Indians) or 11 (Astros). The Jays will probably go college here and then mix in prep players, including over-slot guys, in later rounds, just as they did last year.

St. Louis CardinalsTaylor Guerrieri, RHP, Spring Valley HS, (Columbia, S.C.)I've heard mostly prep arms here, including Fernandez, although they have some interest in slugger Larry Greene.

Washington NationalsBrian Goodwin, CF, Miami Dade CollegeOr Larry Greene, or Meyer if he should fall this far, although I think they'd take Goodwin over Greene.

Tampa Bay RaysAndrew Susac, C, Oregon State Sounds like they'll try to take at least one high-probability player in the first round, with Susac, Cron and Wong all possibilities, as well as any premium arm that should slide here.

San Diego PadresDillon Howard, RHP, Searcy (Ark.) HSThey're wide open with this, their regular (protected) pick, and more likely to go for upside or exceed slot. Tyler Beede is also possible here.

Boston Red SoxJosh Bell, OF, Dallas Jesuit Prep They're being linked to Beede, of course, since he's the local kid, but their general preference is to do high school arms later in the draft. Bell could easily fall out of the first round as it sounds like his bonus demand is more than any team is (currently) willing to offer. But that could change, especially if a big-spending team like the Red Sox or Yankees (picking at No. 51) nabs him.

Cincinnati RedsTyler Anderson, LHP, OregonKeep hearing they want a college arm, and a lefty if one fits. That could be Anderson or Vanderbilt's Grayson Garvin or even Florida State's Sean Gilmartin, who'd be a reach in the late first round.

Atlanta BravesJoe Ross, RHP, Bishop O'Dowd HS (Oakland, Calif.) Atlanta will take the best player available, with high school preferred to college. One thing you can take to the bank is Atlanta sticking to slot, with team president John Schuerholz sitting at the head of MLB's draft reform committee.

San FranciscoRobert Stephenson, RHP, Alhambra (Calif.) HSAlso hearing best player available here, with genuine interest in Stephenson beyond geography, as well as Ross and Norris.

Minnesota TwinsTyler Beede, RHP, Lawrence Academy (Groton, Mass.) Tyler Anderson and Wong are also in the mix here; Beede's price tag is reportedly big, as in top 5-to-10 picks big, but there's also a strong feeling he wants to sign.

Tampa Bay RaysTravis Harrison, 3B, Tustin (Calif.) HSHarrison is making a late push for consideration in the 30-45 range after a slow showing early.

Tampa Bay RaysJohnny Eierman, SS, Warsaw (Mo.) HSThe Rays are aiming for upside wherever possible, especially if they can bank one higher-probability guy at 24, and all indications are that they will take the best players they can regardless of bonus demands or slot recommendations. Given where they draft now, it's their best chance to acquire stars. I've also heard Travis Harrison in Tampa's mix.

Texas RangersBrandon Nimmo, OF, East HS (Cheyenne, Wyo.)Still hearing Josh Osich connected with Texas but they could probably grab him with their next pick at 37, and Harrison is probably in the same

Like this quote "Cleveland's board is still wide open; the Indians have indicated they can go over slot". Would love to go after Bubba Starling.......but can't see the Dolans spending that kind of money. Sounds like they would really like to take Trevor Bauer. Every article Keith Law has done on the draft, has mentioned how much the Indians like Bauer.

Mock Draft from Bleacherreport
2011 MLB Mock Draft: Will Gerrit Cole Fall to the Mariners at No. 2? By Zachary Ball(Orioles Featured Next
For the past five to seven months, it has appeared very likely that Anthony Rendon and Gerrit Cole would be the top two picks in the 2011 MLB draft.
Of course, nobody could have expected that Rendon would struggle so badly to hit for power with the new bats, or that Cole would all of a sudden forget where the strike-zone was.
Here we are, less than three weeks away from draft day, and word is starting to spread that both players might drop out of the top-two spots, with plenty of newcomers just jumping for the chance to go No. 1 overall.
And while you might think that says a lot about Cole and Rendon's struggles, it actually says more about the depth of this class. After thinking that the Rice third baseman would be the de facto No. 1 pick for almost a year now, it looks like Danny Hultzen, Bubba Starling, Dylan Bundy and Jed Bradley all have a sliver of a hope to go first overall to Pittsburgh.
You bet that fans in Seattle are rejoicing at the thought of getting to choose between Rendon and Cole at No. 2!
It's been quite a hectic week, with $20 and $30 million bonuses getting tossed out, and rumors circulating about what team is looking to go in which direction.
Luckily, I've got your back, with another mock draft with the most up-to-date details from each team and on each player.
Mazeltov!

1) Pittsburgh Pirates- Anthony Rendon, 3B, Rice
Like most top picks since 2000, Rendon has selected super-agent Scott Boras to represent him, and Boras, ever the crafty negotiator, has reportedly put into action a plan that would distribute Rendon's medical records to the team's who appear most likely to shell out the money it will take to sign him.
This is a big deal because Rendon has been plagued by a shoulder injury that he suffered just days before the 2011 season began. Nobody knows the severity of the injury or if it will be a long-term problem, so the medical reports would either assuage everyone's fears or damn Rendon.
Still, I'm pretty sure that the Pirates are going to stick with the most logical selection at No. 1, and without a doubt, that has to be Rendon.
If his shoulder is healthy and the Bucs pass on him with the first pick, it could be another destructive move.
Even if Rendon doesn't ever recover his power-stroke, which he has still shown in BP this season, he's going to be an above-average defender at third base with the ability to hit over .300 every season.
Pittsburgh doesn't have too many players like that.

2) Seattle Mariners- Danny Hultzen, LHP, Virginia
The Mariners are starting to assemble some legitimate talent on the big-league roster.
Justin Smoak is starting to emerge as a serious middle-of-the-order bat that everyone expected him to blossom into, Michael Pineda has looked downright dominating at times, and Dustin Ackley is one the verge of joining both of them very soon.
So as much sense as it would make for them to take Cole, his command issues with his fastball mean that he could spend more time in the minors than Hultzen, Bradley or Jungmann. As as great of a pick as Dylan Bundy would be, he's still at least three or four seasons away from making an impact.
The Mariners, with an organization full of top prospects who are nearing the big-leagues, would be best suited by a player, preferably a pitcher, who could reach the majors quickly, and the best player like that would be Hultzen.
He'll likely come with a very high price tag, but Seattle will have some leverage in the fact that there's no way Hultzen could return to college as a senior in 2012 and improve his stock any more than he has this year.
Hultzen and Pineda, along with King Felix, would give the M's a solid foundation for years to come.

3) Arizona Diamondbacks- Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLA
The D-Backs have two picks in the top seven this year, and while they seem to have their heart set on Hultzen, it's looking all the more likely that he'll be gone by the time they pick at No. 3.
Still, picking up Cole with their first pick would be a very huge steal.
If everything falls into place for Cole he could be the very best player from this year's class, and if there's anything the D-Backs need, it's plenty of the best players.
And while he may cost a bit more than Hultzen or Bradley, the team can afford to save a few shekels by going more conservative at pick No. 7.

4) Baltimore Orioles- Matt Barnes, RHP, UConn
Baltimore's best case scenarios are that either Anthony Rendon's shoulder concerns drop him all the way to their picking spot at No. 4, or Rendon is given a clear-bill of health and goes No. 1, Arizona goes in another direction and Hultzen falls to them.
They're likely looking at a scenario where both players are gone when they pick, leaving them with tons of options and no real consensus.
The team has had terrible luck with high-schoolers like Matt Hobgood, Billy Rowell and Brandon Snyder over the past decade, and like a few teams picking in the top 10, they're going to probably be seeking a guy who can help them sooner rather than later.
If there was a sure-fire No. 2 position player without the concerns that come with picking George Springer, I'd say they would go that route, but there isn't so that makes a college pitcher look very probable.
There's a wealth of those to pick from, and while Bradley has the best repertoire of them all, I think the O's will go off the chart here and go for Barnes from UConn.
Barnes looked filthy last summer and has righted his ship after a rough start to the 2011 campaign. He's been a true horse on the mound and hasn't fallen in love with the strikeout like most of the top college pitchers have.
He has a great array of pitches, and all of them have at least average potential.
He might not get to the majors as quickly as Bradley, but to me, his ceiling is considerably higher.

5) Kansas City Royals- Trevor Bauer, RHP, UCLA
After sounding like the kind of team that would be willing to spend big on Bubba Starling, it's sounding more and more probable that the Royals will also be looking for a player they can plug into the big-league roster ASAP.
Bradley would also make the most sense here, but with the extreme wealth of riches in the Kansas City system, they can afford to take a chance on a guy like Bauer, who might not even need any time in the minors. I could envision a scenario very similar to Mike Leake, who never spent a day in the minors.
Bauer is a menace on the mound, who could probably pitch out of the Royals bullpen as soon as he signs, especially if they're somehow in contention in August and September.
If he signs too late, or the Royals decide to let him rest his arm a little (he leads NCAA Div I in IP), he could fight for a job out of spring training.
And if, on the off-chance, they decide to start him in the minors, he should arrive at the same time as the Mike Montgomery-John Lamb duo.

6) Washington Nationals- Jed Bradley, LHP, Georgia Tech
The word on the street is that the Nats are also high on this year's college pitching crop.
With Cole, Hultzen, Barnes and Bauer all off the board, Jed Bradley is the top pitcher left.
Luckily for the Nats, there are more than a few experts who think Bradley is the best college pitcher in this year's draft. His combination of size, velocity and various off-speed pitches make him a very tough pitcher to face and a guy who is likely to move through the minors very quickly.
As an added bonus, Bradley is a lefty.
Teaming Bradley with Strasburg and Zimmerman, and in the long-run A.J. Cole, the Nats could have themselves one heck of a home-grown rotation and one that will finally be able to compete against Philly and Atlanta.

7) Arizona Diamondbacks- Sonny Gray, RHP, Vanderbilt
With their second selection in the first-round, the D-Backs will likely go for a guy who is easier to ink that whoever they pick at No. 3.
While Gray isn't going to sign for a slot deal like last year's pick Barrett Loux, he likely won't break the bank, making him an ideal candidate for pick No. 7.
With his lethal fastball-curveball combo, Gray has carved up SEC hitters this season, leading Vandy to a No. 7 ranking in Baseball America's most recent poll.
Like Bauer, Gray could probably make the jump straight from college to the majors as a reliever, but considering he throws a pretty solid changeup, it will make the most sense to leave him in a rotation, where he could emerge as a No.1 or No. 2 guy in a few seasons.
It's funny to think that Gray was considered one of the top college arms coming into the 2011 draft season, and now he falls all the way to No. 7, despite doing nothing wrong.
Yet another example of how deep this draft class is.

8) Cleveland Indians- Bubba Starling, Of, Gardner Edgerton HS (KS)
Don't let this slide all the way to No. 8 fool you; Starling is a legitimate contender to go with the first pick.

Sadly, this draft is so deep, and Starling's signability concerns so grave, that he could very easily fall out of the top 10, which would be a major travesty.

Despite his football scholarship to Nebraska and his incredible prowess on the basketball court, it's in between the chalk lines that Starling's brightest future lay.

He has all the tools you want in a center-fielder. Above-average speed. Light-tower power. A rocket arm.

He's looked sensational since returning from a hamstring injury that sidelined him for the first month of the high school season.

Getting Starling here would be a major coup for the Indians, who could use some elite position players like him after going for mostly pitchers the past few years.

If the do indeed select him, it would be breaking a major trend for them, as they've selected a college player with their first pick in the draft just about every season for the past 15 years.

MLB.com
After discussing the few big hitters that there are in this year's Draft class, it's time to move on to where the depth is: pitching.

There is as much, if not more, quality college pitching this year than in any other in recent memory. From hard-throwing, top-of-the-rotation, future-ace types to quality lefties to even some future relievers, there's something for everyone from the college ranks. If a team wants an advanced arm, it almost certainly will be able to get one.

"There are lots of quality arms in this Draft, lots of power arms, starters and relievers, high school and college," one scouting director said. "However, I'm not ready to anoint this as the best Draft in 20 years. Pitching is volatile; lots of things happen to pitchers. The lack of position players puts all the upside on the pitching. That comes with risk. Time will tell us where this Draft rates."

Here's a closer look at the top college pitchers in the class, with their rank in the Draft Top 50 prospects in parentheses.

Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLA (1)
Long thought to be a candidate to go No. 1 overall, Cole has the power repertoire -- a plus fastball, slider and changeup -- to be an ace. Some uneven performances, despite no difficulty lighting up the radar gun, has made it a bit unclear just where he'll go, but he's still in the Pirates' mix and he's sure not to slide too far if Pittsburgh doesn't take him.

Danny Hultzen, LHP, Virginia (3)
Hultzen broke out of the gate as well, if not better, than any college pitcher, showing stuff that was better and sharper than previously seen. His performance pushed him to the top of many Draft boards with his name eventually entering the talk about the No. 1 overall pick. Some see him as the safe pick, but more scouts picked him than any other when polled about who they would take No. 1 overall.

Trevor Bauer, RHP, UCLA (6)
Bauer is unusual, unorthodox, Lincecum-esque. He likes to long-toss. He's got several pitches in his repertoire to choose from and in many ways he's been the best college pitcher, performance-wise, this season. His teammate Cole might go ahead of him, but it won't be by much.

Taylor Jungmann, RHP, Texas (7)
If Bauer's been better than anyone in the college game, Jungmann would be a close runner-up. The Texas ace has been extraordinary pretty much all season with terrific stuff and outstanding results. The only thing holding him back from being in the top of the Draft mix is an unorthodox delivery that some believe is too violent.

Jed Bradley, LHP, Georgia Tech (8)
Though the Saturday starter for Georgia Tech, Bradley was thought to be the second-best college lefty behind Hultzen. He might still be, but struggles of late have hurt his stock. He could end up being a steal if he slides and someone in the middle of the first round gets his four-pitch mix.

Sonny Gray, RHP, Vanderbilt (10)
While Gray isn't the biggest guy in the world at 5-foot-11, his stuff speaks volumes. The Vandy ace has a very good three-pitch mix, though command issues have affected him at times. When he's going right, he's got the stuff and the mound presence to front a rotation.

Matt Barnes, RHP, Connecticut (14)
One of two UConn first-round hopefuls, Barnes would be getting more attention in another Draft class. He's got the chance to have three pitches that are at least Major League average, if not better, and he can get his fastball up into the mid-90s. He's got the makings of a front-line starter and should be gone in the first half of the first round as a result.

Alex Meyer, RHP, Kentucky (20)
Meyer came out of the Indiana high school scene as a thrower and after a couple of up-and-down seasons at Kentucky really started to evolve into a pitcher as a junior. He's always had the plus fastball and nasty slider, but now he's commanding it better and has added a changeup. His timing is perfect as his stock is on the rise as the Draft approaches.

Tyler Anderson, LHP, Oregon (24)
Before hitting a road bump in a late-season start, Anderson was humming along as one of the better "pitch-ability lefties" in the class. While his overall stuff may not grade as highly as Hultzen's, he does have a four-pitch mix, highlighted by an above-average changeup. He's not a real high upside guy, but he's the type who should get to the big leagues quickly.

Anthony Meo, RHP, Coastal Carolina (26)
Meo threw a no-hitter in the opening game of his conference tournament and he does have the power stuff to dominate a lineup. He's got the chance to have a plus fastball and slider, but with a changeup that lags behind and a high degree of effort put into his delivery, many see him as a short reliever at the next level.

Matthew Purke, LHP, TCU (27)
It's difficult to know what to make of Purke. The Draft-eligible sophomore entered the year as the top lefty in the class, but a shoulder issue put his status in doubt. He's returned to the mound, but whether there is enough time to convince teams he's OK remains to be seen. He could head to the Cape Cod League after being drafted, like Anthony Ranaudo (Red Sox) did last year.

John Stilson, RHP, Texas A&M (28)
Stilson entered the year as an intriguing pitcher whom most felt belonged in a bullpen. After serving as A&M's Friday starter this year, though, he may have more than a few teams that will at least be willing to let him begin his pro career as a starter. He's got two plus pitches (fastball and changeup), enough to be a closer, but his breaking stuff is at least serviceable and some team in the second half of the first round might be willing to give him a shot at being in a rotation.

Andrew Chafin, LHP, Kent State (39)
Chafin returned from 2009 Tommy John surgery to not only pitch in 2011, but to pitch very well as Kent State's Friday starter. That moved him into the first-round picture before he missed some time late in the spring with arm soreness and then a lat strain. When healthy, he's shown glimpses of having four pitches in his arsenal. If he can finish strongly, he could still sneak into the end of the first round, but he is a sandwich pick at the very least.

Chris Reed, LHP, Stanford (46)
Reed has been Stanford's closer out of need more than anything else and more than one scout believes he's got the stuff to start. Reed relies on a plus fastball and excellent slider, but he also has the chance to have a plus changeup -- more than enough to be a starter. The team that takes him -- and his name has been sneaking into first-round discussions -- might send him out as a starter knowing they can always shorten him to be an effective short reliever down the road.