Re: General Discussion

Guardians ‘definitely not done pursuing things’ in trade market, per Chris Antonetti

Updated: Jul. 29, 2024, 10:54 p.m.|Published: Jul. 29, 2024, 10:46 p.m.

By Joe Noga, cleveland.com

DETROIT — The Guardians will continue to pursue trades up until Tuesday’s deadline according to president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti. The chances they land a starting pitcher or another bat before 6 p.m. on Tuesday remains to be seen.

Cleveland swapped three prospects in exchange for Nationals outfielder Lane Thomas Monday with a little less than 23 hours before the deadline.

“We’re definitely not done pursuing things,” Antonetti said. “Whether or not that leads to another deal or more deals, it’s really hard to forecast.”

Antonetti told reporters after Cleveland’s 8-4 win in Detroit that the club will continue to try and be active and see if there are other opportunities to improve the major league roster, but admitted it has been difficult, especially in pursuit of starting pitching.

“It was one of the reasons we went out and signed Matt Boyd a couple of weeks ago because we were anticipating this was going to be a challenging market,” Antonetti said. “That’s proven to be the case.”

Antonetti said one of the club’s goals heading into the deadline was to find a way to lengthen the lineup and add offense. He said they accomplished that with adding Thomas, who has 30-home run potential to go along with 30-steal speed.

“We feel we’ve been able to do that by bringing Lane into the organization,” Antonetti said. “He’s a versatile outfielder, a guy that’s capable of playing center field, right field and can contribute offensively, defensively and on the bases.”

Thomas has proven effective this year against left-handed pitching, batting .326 against lefties with a slash line of .410/.512/.922, the 10th-best OPS vs. lefties in the National League.

The impact of the trade was felt almost immediately in Cleveland’s clubhouse. Starting pitcher Tanner Bibee said the front office is showing they have faith the club is in position to compete for a championship.

“It definitely uplifts us, and I think it helps us know that they think that we can go out there and win,” Bibee said. “That’s a crazy monkey off the back. I mean, I don’t think a lot of people really know how much that clears the mental air a little bit.”

Bibee said bringing in a player with Thomas’ talent can only help.

“When we can get a player of that kind of caliber, it’s nice,” Bibee said. “I feel like he’ll fit well in our locker room. I mean, he’s a great player, so I think we’re all excited.”

Antonetti, meanwhile, described the trade as “painful” in terms of what Cleveland sent back to Washington with No. 8 prospect Alex Clemmey highlighting a package that included infielder Jose Tena and infielder Rafael Ramirez Jr.

“We gave up a lot of value, but that’s what the market necessitated,” Antonetti said. “We gave up three players that we think have a chance to go on and have bright futures and it’s painful to make deals like this, but this is one we felt we had to make.”

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

It looks Dodgers are after Flaherty.
Cleveland adds another rehabbing veteran: Alex Cobb who hasn't pitched this season. All Star last year. Started out with hip surgery; then shoulder issues; he has worked 18 1/3 innings of rehab. In line behind Matt Boyd for return to the majors.

Cost was Jacob Bresnahan 13th round LHP 2023
Age At Draft: 18
Bresnahan wasn’t on the national scene for much of the showcase circuit in 2022, so he went under the radar, but has impressed scouts during the spring with a strong senior season. Listed at 6-foot-3, 175 pounds, Bresnahan pounds the zone with lots of strikes and throws with a loose and easy delivery and three-quarter slot and a slight crossfiring finish. He has a three-pitch mix that includes an 87-92 mph fastball, a curveball that is a work in progress and a changeup that has a chance to be an above-average pitch. Bresnahan is on the younger end of the class and doesn’t turn 18 until a few days before the draft. He is committed to Oregon.

He worked effectively in the Arizona League this summer and was promoted last week to Lynchburg with 4 innings under his belt

And a Player to be Named Later. Can't remember what the rule is about PTBNL: must the guy be on the 40 man roster?. Perhaps the PTBNL will be determined at season's end depending on if Cobb actually pitches in the majors?

Cobb has yet to make his season debut, but he’s on the verge of completing his long rehab from left hip surgery and right shoulder irritation, making him an intriguing arm to follow down the stretch. The 36-year-old veteran is coming off an All-Star campaign with the Giants, logging a 3.87 ERA over 28 starts in 2023.

Cobb appeared to be on track for a May return after undergoing surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left hip over the offseason, but his timeline was pushed back after he was shut down with right shoulder issues. He finally started to progress after receiving nerve medication and began a rehab assignment on June 30, posting a 3.93 ERA with 24 strikeouts over 18 1/3 innings across six starts in the Minors

The Giants hoped Cobb would be ready to come off the 60-day injured list on Wednesday and start against the A’s, but he was further delayed by a right index finger blister that cut short his last rehab start on Friday.

"I’m almost embarrassed that something keeps happening every time I’m almost ready," Cobb said Sunday. "It’s right around the corner, and then I have to deal with another [setback]. They tend to be minor, and I’m thankful it’s nothing major and I’m where I’m at, but I was ready. ... Just dealing with the punches as they come. At some point, I’ll be on the mound, I hope.”

Cobb’s long-awaited comeback will now take place in Cleveland, where he’s poised to reunite with Guardians bench coach Craig Albernaz, who served as the Giants’ bullpen coach from 2020-23 and was Cobb’s first catcher in pro ball in the Rays' organization in 2006. Cobb is owed the remainder of his $10 million salary this year and will be eligible for free agency at the end of the season.

Cobb knew he could be traded given his contract situation, but he expressed hope that he would be able to ride it out with the Giants (53-55), who entered Tuesday four games out of the final National League Wild Card spot.

“I know I’m a free agent,” Cobb said. “I don’t know what my career is going to look like next year. I’ve loved every minute of being a Giant. I’ve loved everything about this organization, the city, pitching here, the teammates.

“Obviously, I want to win, but I also want to win with a team that I’ve lost with. I think going through the last 2 1/2 years of not living up to expectations and not being where we want to be would make once we eventually win -- which I envision us doing here -- so much more special than just jumping on a team that’s put all the work in and just kind of jumped on the tail end of it with two months left in the season and not really feeling a part of it. I think there’s something more special about going through losses with teams and being on the other end when they win.”
Last edited by civ ollilavad on Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When will he actually pitch for the Gs? He's on his 3rd and most minor setback:

The Giants hoped Cobb would be ready to come off the 60-day injured list on Wednesday and start against the A’s, but he was further delayed by a right index finger blister that cut short his last rehab start on Friday.

His career HR total of 65 in 1730 at bats [declined to 8 in 304 this year] compares to Straw's 6 in 1760.
Career stat line:
Straw's 244/316/309
Thomas this year 253/330/405. career: 251/317/431

But the main reason they wanted him is his split vs LHP
322/406/506

I also see he had a lousy April and much stronger since

Oh yeah not the remotest comparison there.

Lane Thomas can hit with power as last year showed. And can steal bases too - I expect Sandy Alomar to get him going there.

That said, the most interesting part to me is when he said to Andre Knott that he was "willing to play any outfield position".

He ain't no Straw defensively but if he can play a decent CF from time to time it would really help the roster construction. And he did it this year a few times and 11 last year.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain