Re: General Discussion

Someone asked Hoynes : Why not Jose Ramirez as manager. No way for any player manager anymore says Hoynes . If they're going to win another world championship we know it will take a player manager since that's the only way it's ever worked for this club over 124 seasons [that's quite a few isn't it for just 2 titles?] I vote for Kwan.

Guardians left fielder Steven Kwan and second baseman Andrés Giménez were each named the top defenders at their respective positions Thursday with the announcement of the 2023 Fielding Bible Awards from Sports Info Solutions.

Kwan, who also won the award last year, joined the Diamondbacks’ Christian Walker and the Dodgers’ Mookie Betts as repeat winners. A 16-member expert panel voted on the awards, which are aimed at selecting the top defender at each position irrespective of league. Fielding Bible Awards began in 2006 as a more sabermetrically inclined alternative to the Gold Glove Awards.

A treat for civ. Not a trick!

Went to see Peoria at Scottsdale earlier today at Scottsdale Stadium. Was curious to see what this Arizona Fall League was like.

Shoot.... $10 for general admission and I sat behind the dugout although there were actually more people there than you might think!
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

As soon as the WS is over Cleveland gets to work, besides signing a manager, there's some roster management
40 on the roster plus Bibee still on IL
Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo López, Kole Calhoun, are free agents, that brings the total to 38.
Can Gallagher is most likely to be nontendered since they could always get him back on a minor league deal I assume. that makes 37.
seems unlikely they would retaia Michael Kelly 31 year old with little big league experience.
Was Karinchak bad enough to be let go? Oscar? Laureano is expendable but maybe not on an OF-challenged team.
Add: Espino for certain, and get ready to put him on the IL for the next 3 seasons. Probably add J. Rodriguez. Some suggestion they add reliever Cade Smith, maybe. Perhaps they add back Lavastida.
Sign Reynaldo Lopez as soon as possible.

civ ollilavad wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:12 pm didn't know that they had fans.
From what I can see from the box score Nos. 9 and 22 did not do anything do overwhelming but did get on base a bunch
Any opinions on what you saw?
Hey civ actually quite a few fans yes and actually I was surprised. I knew there were fans but figured there might be far fewer than there was.

As for our 2 guys obviously small sample size. But to me DeLeuter was taking far too many pitches. Maybe that was his goal that day or something but he was not aggressive.

Manzardo looked far better. His single was opposite field. And he worked counts and didn't chase. (no pun intended)
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

yesterday DeLauter had one of his team's two hits, a double. Manzardo drew a walk.

Meanwhile Ryan Webb, lefty 4th round pick, had another solid outing: 4 1/3 innings, 6 strikeouts, solidifying his league leadership in Ks. he walked 3. allowed one single, left with 2 men on base and the next guy let them in.
His total is 33 strikeouts in 18 2/3 innings. Avg against: .206 But add in the 11 walks, and he totals 1.34 WHIP
If you have a chance to figure out when he pitches again, in 5 or 6 days I assume, an in-person report would be great

a couple of our relievers had decent days too:
Sabrowski 2 K 1 BB no hits in 1 inning
Hanner 2 K 1BB 1 hit in 1 inning

Gold Glove winners to be announced tonight; repeating the competition at 2nd and 3rd.

SECOND BASE
Mauricio Dubón, HOU
Andrés Giménez, CLE
Marcus Semien, TEX

Giménez is the reigning AL Gold Glove Award winner at second base, and he led AL second basemen with +18 OAA this season -- third-best for any fielder at any position. Semien was the winner at second base before that, in 2021, and was a finalist in '22 but lost to Giménez. The versatile Dubón is seeking his first career Gold Glove Award in his first full season in Houston.

THIRD BASE
Alex Bregman, HOU
Matt Chapman, TOR
José Ramírez, CLE

Chapman is a perennial Gold Glove contender at third base -- he's a three-time winner (and two-time Platinum Glove winner on top of that), most recently in 2021 with the A's. Bregman and Ramírez have both won Silver Slugger Awards, but neither has a Gold Glove in his trophy case