Re: General Discussion

for example, Johnnathan Rodriguez, age 23, "finally" arrives in AAA today. He was drafted at age 17 in 2017 and has moved one step at a time through the organization.
About 2 months through last season he suddenly developed a power stroke and finished the season with 26 homers, 23 doubles 4 triples a slugging average of 540 and OPS 848.

a somewhat slow start for Akron this year but at the time of his promotion he had 18 homers, 14 doubles 2 triples 512 SLG and 876 OPS.
He has improved his K/BB ratio from 5-1 last year to 2.8-1 this year.

He has generally been rated as having the best outfield arm in the system.

And he has never been on the 40 man roster. Never drafted in Rule 5. And still does not make the team's 30 Prospect List
OFs who are on the list include the impressive:

No. 21 W. Antunez age 21 in Low A 252/346/367
No. 22 Justin Boyd age 22 in High A 140/290/200
No. 25 Joe Lample age 22 in High A 234/341/351

Last pitcher to hit 2 homers in a game = Sonny Siebert. And God help us I remember him well as I'm sure you guys do.

I guess that means in a game the same day he pitched. Lol kinda a trick question. Ohtani did it today.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Injuries & Moves: McKenzie begins playing catch

LATEST NEWS

7/28/23 34 min ago

July 28: RHP Triston McKenzie begins throwing program
It's been a long wait for McKenzie, who was able to make just two starts after coming off the IL this year before going back on it, but he was finally given the green light to play catch on Friday afternoon.

"He was pretty excited," Guardians manager Terry Francona said. "I think all went well."

July 27: Guardians recall OF Oscar Gonzalez from Triple-A Columbus
With Amed Rosario's spot on the roster now available, the Guardians recalled Gonzalez from Triple-A Columbus on Thursday. When Noah Syndergaard is set to return from the injured list, the Guardians will need to make another move to add him to the active roster. Since Gonzalez was optioned to Triple-A on May 6, he's hit .275 with a .789 OPS.

July 26: SS Amed Rosario traded to the Dodgers in exchange for RHP Noah Syndergaard and cash
The Guardians added to their pitching depth by acquiring Syndergaard, who is currently on the injured list. By moving Rosario, Cleveland now has an opening at shortstop to evaluate guys like Tyler Freeman, Gabriel Arias and eventually Brayan Rocchio to see who might man that position for the foreseeable future.

INJURY UPDATES

10- and 15-day IL

RHP Cal Quantrill (right shoulder inflammation)
Expected return: TBD
Quantrill landed on the IL again just over a week after he was reinstated from the injured list with the same right shoulder ailment. He made two starts, giving up 11 runs in 7 2/3 innings, and struggled to get through his work in between his outings due to his nagging shoulder.

This time, he won't be shut down from throwing, but the Guardians are going to try to take their time with his recovery so that he doesn't rush back too quickly and have another hiccup. He's consistently been throwing bullpens, but has not scheduled a rehab assignment just yet. (Last updated: July 28)

60-day DL

RHP Triston McKenzie (right UCL sprain)
Expected return: Mid-September
McKenzie, who was scratched from his June 16 start vs. the D-backs with right elbow discomfort, was cleared to play catch and played catch for the first time on July 28 in Chicago. He has hopes of returning by the end of the season.

The right-hander started the season on the IL with a right teres major strain. He made his 2023 debut on June 4, but he only made two starts before landing on the IL again with the UCL sprain. After getting different opinions on the next steps for his injury at the end of June and the beginning of July, McKenzie eventually decided to avoid surgery. He was transferred to the 60-day IL on July 6. (Last updated: July 28)

RHP: Shane Bieber (right elbow inflammation)
Expected return: Mid-September
The Guardians began the second half of the season with difficult news. Bieber was sent for an MRI on his right forearm on July 14, and after an appointment with Dr. Keith Meister on July 16, it was decided that he wouldn't need surgery. He's expected to begin throwing at some point during the first week of August. (Last updated: July 28)

RHP Peyton Battenfield (left oblique strain)
Expected return: TBD
Battenfield threw 79 pitches over 4 1/3 innings in his first start at Triple-A, putting him on the doorstep of a return to the Majors. He allowed three runs on five hits and three walks with six strikeouts. With other injuries to the rotation, Battenfield's return to health could be a way the Guardians could help cover innings, but they don't want to rush him back.

Battenfield threw eight pregame pitches on the mound at Citi Field on May 19, but he felt like he was protecting his shoulder. Battenfield was placed on the 15-day injured list retroactive to May 18, and he received an injection roughly a week later, according to manager Terry Francona. (Last updated: July 19)

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Where are the guys that were recently drafted and signed?
Since the draft was moved back to mid July and the minors were reduced eliminating the short season A leagues, most of the new guys will spend the season in Goodyear working out but not assigned to team rosters. Last year I believe Joe Lampe was the only draft pick who got into any games.
Perhaps we'll see some of the advanced college guys playing a bit for the Arizona Complex League team or a few appearances in Lynchburg. Not yet.

Andre Knott on ESPN Cleveland is saying that there are plenty of upset Guardian players about the Civale trade. He only named Josh Naylor but said there were more and that Tito has a scheduled team meeting today at the end of the trade deadline because the dugout was upset last night.

HOUSTON — Josh Bell is heading to Miami after the Guardians traded the veteran first baseman Tuesday to the Miami Marlins in a three-player deal according to a report by ESPN’s Jeff Passan.

Amen brother. An admittance that the front office is better at trading than buying free agents. doesn't matter who we got, just out of the contract is good enough.

I haven't totally lost faith in this season, but still have high hopes.
UD

I am glad to see Josh Bell get traded. I do not think his time in Cleveland was a disaster. Bell is a historically streaky hitter and i would not be surprised if he does well for the Marlins.

It is hard to find free agents that want to play in Cleveland and that the FO thinks they can afford. Wish it had worked out.