Re: Cleveland Cavaliers

Game 35: 76ers at Cavs
PHILADELPHIA 76ERS (12-22) at CLEVELAND CAVALIERS (11-23)
Quicken Loans Arena
7 p.m. Tuesday
Radio/TV: WTAM (1100 AM)/Fox Sports Ohio

WHAT WILL HAPPEN?: The luster has come off the 76ers in recent weeks after their red-hot start.

They are still a dangerous team, especially for the Cavs, who have lost eight of their last nine games.

It's hard to figure out where the Cavs' heads will be tonight after the blockbuster deal with Chicago. The Cavs sent center Andrew Bynum and three draft picks to the Bulls in exchange for Luol Deng.

Deng almost assuredly won't play against the 76ers. There's more of a chance he'll make his Cavs' debut at Utah on Friday night. He might show up late during tonight's game.

The Cavs needed to make a deal in the worst way. This season was slipping away before their eyes. There's no way to predict what kind of boost Deng will give the Cavs, but he's a solid player who is the best small forward the team has had since LeBron James.

There's a good chance point guard Kyrie Irving will return for tonight's game. Coach Mike Brown said Jarrett Jack (back spasms) will miss his second consecutive game.

The Sixers are missing a few key players, too, most notably swingman Tony Wroten (flu-like symptoms) and big men Arnett Moultrie (left ankle) and Nerlens Noel (knee).

The Cavs have split two games with the 76ers this season. In their last home matchup vs. the Sixers, they won, 127-125, in two overtimes. Irving had 39 points in that Nov. 9 game.

This could be the last we see of Earl Clark in the starting lineup. He'll be moved to the bench in favor of Deng.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

I don't know if you agree with my rusty but IMO people need to understand that Luol Deng is one of the very best small forwards in the NBA.

Still think he was overshadowed by his role on the Bulls. Lotta mouths to feed there.

In Cleveland he really takes some pressure off Kyrie. And will consistently be option 1A here with Kyrie.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Luol Deng
@LuolDeng9

3 hours ago

You will hear a lot of can't and a lot of won't, but you give it everything you can because you believe in yourself and your teammates. You push yourself with your heart, mind and soul, and smile every night knowing you put love and passion into it. Thank you, Chicago

TFIR wrote:I don't know if you agree with my rusty but IMO people need to understand that Luol Deng is one of the very best small forwards in the NBA.

Still think he was overshadowed by his role on the Bulls. Lotta mouths to feed there.

In Cleveland he really takes some pressure off Kyrie. And will consistently be option 1A here with Kyrie.
How many 2 way (offense and defense) players that work hard, have a great attitude, and talent are available ? How many can you actually name in a league that employs almost 500 players ?

How many at a position that the Cavs had actually no one ? Clark- really PF, Gee - really SG ,Karasev - too young

Fantastic trade no matter what happens.

This is a list of the Cavs best trade assets in no particular order:

Cleveland 1st round picks and 2nd round picks in 2014, 2015, etc.
Miami's 2015 1st round pick (Miami picks are top ten protected for two years, then unprotected)
Memphis Grizzlies 2015 1st round pick (Top 5 protected, 15-30 protected)
Orlando 2nd round picks in 2014
Memphis Grizzlies 2014 2nd round pick
Anderson Varejao
Kyrie Irving (well, it's technically possible)
Luol Deng
Jarrett Jack
Earl Clark
CJ Miles
Tristan Thompson
Dion Waiters
Anthony Bennett
Sergey Karasev
Carrick Felix
Alonzo Gee
Tyler Zeller
Henry Sims
Matthew Dellavedova
Euro player rights (Sasha Kaun, Erden, Macvan, Ejike "no show" Ubajoadfahsdhajsdhfkj

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- The Cavaliers have plenty of draft picks remaining after Tuesday's deal that sent Andrew Bynum and three selections to the Chicago Bulls for All-Star small forward Luol Deng, including their own first-round pick in 2014, which is supposed to be one of the best collections of young talent in years.

In all, the Cavs still hold nine first-round and nine second-round picks over the next seven years.

Here is a look at their picks through 2020, courtesy of the Cavaliers media relations department:

2014: The Cavs have their own first-round pick. They have their own second-round pick, Memphis' second-round pick and Orlando's second-round pick.

2015: The Cavs have their own first-round pick with Chicago having the right to swap first-round picks (protected 1-14). They also have Miami's first-round pick (1-10 protected). The Cavs have their own second-round pick. Cavs also have Memphis’s first-round pick, protected 1-5 and 15-30.

2016: The Cavs have their own first-round pick. The Cavs have their own second-round pick. If not conveyed in 2015, Cavs also have Memphis’s first-round pick (protected 1-5 and 15-30).

2017: The Cavs have their own first-round pick and also have their own second-round pick. If not conveyed earlier, Cavs also have Memphis’s first round pick (protected 1-5).

2018: The Cavs have their own first-round pick and also have their own second-round pick. If not conveyed earlier, Cavs also have Memphis’s first-round pick protected 1-5.

2019: The Cavs have their own first-round pick and their own second-round pick. If not conveyed earlier, Cavs also have Memphis’s first-round pick unprotected.

2020: The Cavs have their own first- and second-round picks.

Chris Grant or someone in the Cavs organization has a very unique way of making contracts and draft picks more valuable by adding kickers.

The Cavs were helping the Grizzlies not have to cut Randolph to re-sign Gasol by taking on about 10 million in contracts. Memphis wanted 1-5 protection and the Cavs asked for 15 -30 protection so that they would not get a late round first round pick based on Grizzlies recent success.

That 15 -30 protection falls off in 2017 and 2018 if not conveyed before hand. In 2019 that pick is totally unprotected.

All of this just makes the pick more valuable to trade it like a Christmas present.

Sort of how they turned Bynum into Deng using a first round draft pick that Chicago may not be able to use for a few years, 2 possibly late round 2nd round picks, and Bynum's contract.

Genius !

One of the articles posted awhile back talked about how week the last three drafts have been and how it has somewhat stalled the Cav's rebuild.

People tend to forget that college players drafted now are 19-20 years old with 1-2 years college experience.

The days of 23 year old (think the old UNLV type of player) men with one year of CC and 3-4 years in a major college program with quality coaching are basically gone. All these draft picks need 2-3 years to finish growing, to learn how to play defense and compete every night at a high level. Just the travel and length of season would be a lot for most 20 year olds.

How often do kids this young (1 year out of HS) make an impact in baseball, football, hockey or soccer? It is very rare - for the handful of straight from HS basketball players that had long careers - there are many more that flamed out.