Re: Cleveland Cavaliers

Sources: Mike Miller eyes contender
Updated: July 18, 2013, 5:20 PM ET
By Brian Windhorst | ESPN.com

Heat Waive Mike Miller

Former Miami Heat forward Mike Miller has cleared amnesty waivers and now is free to sign with any team, sources told ESPN.com.

Miller was waived Tuesday by the Heat as part of a financial move that will save them as much as $17 million on luxury-tax payments next season. They still owe him $12.8 million over the next two seasons.

Numerous teams are believed to be interested in Miller, who wants to sign with a contender, sources said. The Oklahoma City Thunder, San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and Memphis Grizzlies are among those expected to chase his services.

Miller averaged 4.8 points and shot 42 percent from 3-point range during the regular season for Miami. He played a large role for the Heat in the NBA Finals, shooting 61 percent from 3-point range and starting the last four games.

Shortly after rumors surfaced Wednesday night that the Cleveland Cavaliers were interested in claiming Miller off waivers, reports of the veteran forward needing back surgery or considering retirement arose. Miller dealt with bulging disks in his back during the 2011-12 season, but he played in 59 games this past season, his most since 2008-09.

On Tuesday, Miller said he was feeling healthy and looking forward to next season.

"I'm excited about the next spot," Miller told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "I'm re-energized. I really am. I'm just feeling healthy. I'm ready to play. I started to get back in there again last week and I can't wait to play again next year."

Miller, like Arterst/World Peace will have his full salary paid by his former team.

So he can afford to not worry about what he is paid and simply go to the situation that he likes best.

In World Peace's case, NYC was home. So he took whatever the Knicks had available, which wasn't much. But he didn't need much so it worked.

In Miller's case, I assume he just wants a shot at winning the title again. It's fun to be a winner on a contending team. So he can pick and choose his best choice for that, while the Heat pay his salary.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Oladipo: “I really didn’t want to go to Cleveland”

September 13, 2013 by Scott 13 Comments

Victor Oladipo, Bill Simmons’ top choice in the 2013 NBA Draft, apparently wasn’t one for calling Cleveland home. In a quote that was pulled from a Orlando Magic ticket-holder event, the rookie shooting guard who was one of several players potentially slotted for the No. 1 overall pick owned by the Cavaliers, said that he “really didn’t want to go to Cleveland.”
The quote was then tweeted out by the Orlando Magic’s official Twitter account and instantly drew the ire of Cleveland fans. Oladipo wasted no time issuing an apology to Cleveland fans who took his statement as a moment of disrespect.

While the statement obviously reflects on Cleveland, a city that has had it’s fair share of players speaking poorly of it’s economy, weather and/or lack of nightlife, it is easy to see how a rookie player would want to endear himself to the team that did make the investment in him on draft day. David Steele, the Magic’s television play-by-play announcer, referred to Oladipo’s comment as ”harmless banter.”

Lots of reason for optimism this season for Cavs.

Anderson Varejao - F/C - Cavaliers
Anderson Varejao (blood clots) has reportedly been cleared to perform all basketball activities during the Cavaliers' training camp.

Varejao has a good chance to start this season, but a healthy Andrew Bynum (knees) would make the Cavs' frontcourt uncomfortably crowded. Cleveland will balance the need to protect Varejao by limiting his minutes, and their desire to have him contribute on the court and thereby raise his trade value.

The good news is that it sounds like he'll enter the season healthy after missing 57 games last year.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Report: A. Bynum expected to miss preseason

Sam Amico is reporting that Andrew Bynum (knees) is not expected to participate in training camp or play in the preseason for the Cavaliers.
Here we go again. Bynum, who missed all of last season with numerous knee issues and only made it through one practice, doesn't sound close to being ready for game action. We weren't really expecting any miracles, but given all the time he's had to get right, the news is disappointing. The Cavs are determined to keep Bynum out of uniform until he's fully healthy, and while that could be as soon as opening night (Oct. 30), he's going to be extremely rusty when he does eventually play. At this point, you're probably better off letting someone else draft him.

Source: Fox Sports Ohio Sep 17 - 11:48 PM

Hey rusty - I am really geeked on the talent the Cavs are assembling. I'm excited to see how it shakes out - love their 3 man backcourt (GREAT pickup in Jarret Jack) and their glut of big men is not a bad thing either!