Re: General Discussion

The new article I just posted points to the combination of poor roster choices (where for art thou Nolan Jones?) and managerial choices.

Maybe Tito meant more to the success of this team than we thought.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

I think Tito would have won us a game or more; he wouldn't have pinch hit Sandy Leon for Perez; one would assume having 3 catchers who can't hit and a 28 man roster guarantees constant pinch hitting for the catchers [remember years ago when the A's would do just that for their 2nd basemen? In round games, the 2nd baseman in the starting lineup would be an OF who would bat in the top of the 1st and be replaced in the bottom of the inning by an actual 2B.]

Sandy Alomar is a nice guy. Can't manage.

Santos used to apply for every managerial opening a few years ago. Must have been a lousy interview. Never got a job. Always crawled back to the Indians who were nice enough to give him a job.

The past few years Santos must have accepted the fact he wasn't managerial material. He became content with his position as 1B coach whose main job is to remind baserunners how many outs there are.

When Brad Mills opted out and Tito got ill, Alomar was the next man up.

Guess we know why nobody ever hired him away from the Tribe.

there's some degree of "leadership" that a good manager provides. And he really could have pinch hit someone other than Sandy Leon! for Perez. I think we'd be a couple games ahead if we had Francona. Particularly I think he'd be able to rally the troops in his quiet positive way to end the losing streak. Note: a couple days ago already we passed the longest losing stretch in Tito's time with the team; that's not just happenstance.

It's still the players. If you reach the highest level of your profession, it's mostly because of talent and work. Baseball is a game of failure. How players handle failure is key to their performance. Occasionally, players require outside assistance. Sometimes it's a pat on the back. Sometimes it's a kick in the ass. Some managers do it better than others but not during the game.

Shouda, woulda, coulda is all hindsight.

I will put this on Sandy. What the heck was Bieber doing throwing 118 pitches in a game where he was up 10-0??

I realize Willis had a say - but manager always has final say.

I actually think Tito has Bieber out after 7 innings.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Even on a night when the team scores 10 runs, the Outfield Trio went 2-14 both singles, struck out 4 times, and collectively left 11 runners on base.
Was Mercado's 2019 an illusion? [397 OPS this year]
Is Naquin ever going to achieve consistency? [he's 29 years old, so with him, it's what you've seen is what you've got]
Can Naylor really be this bad? [1 extra base hit in 46 times to the plate; the only good stat he has is 6 strikeouts] Once upon a time he was promising enough to make the Future Game two years straight

civ ollilavad wrote:He is the only guy who's been consistent over this mini season.
On the other hand, it is nearly time to make room for Nolan Jones [at 3rd base unless they get smart and convert him to the void of our outfield] and move Ramirez back over to 2nd.
Yeah civ I would like to see them convert Nolan Jones to the OF and keep the infield intact as much as possible - with really no chance at all Lindor returns. And Santana likely gone too unless he accepts far less (remember last time Carlos?) than the option which will automatically be turned down by the Indians (rightfully so).

I know I am an optimist but I think Hernandez and Santana might come back for reduced (by far in Santana's case) money. They'd be bargains.