Re: General Discussion

jonmorosi Jon Morosi
Will be fascinating to see whether Fister or Jimenez is better over the final two months. Could decide the ALC. #Tigers #Indians
1 minute ago
»

jonmorosi Jon Morosi
Doug Fister (3.33) had the best ERA of any starter in either league who was traded at this year’s deadline. #Tigers #Mariners
" I am not young enough to know everything."

Indians Designate Mitch Talbot For Assignment
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 31 at 4:00pm CST]
The Indians activated Mitch Talbot from the 15-day disabled list and designated him for assignment, the team announced. The right-hander had been on the disabled list with a lower back strain since July 9th. The move creates 40-man roster space for the newly-acquired Ubaldo Jimenez and the Indians will make a corresponding 25-man move in the coming days.

I am 53 yo. I have never heard of giving the top 2 pitching prospects away in 1 trade. Unless they are extending his contract, this was a really bad trade. If they extened his contract i can live with it as #1s don't grow on trees. But if we can't hit this trade means nothing too.

All in all I think Cleveland sports teams have the worst GMs around.

I'm with you, HB. As I've said, PROspects=SUSpects. Ubaldo has proven talent. I just hope our pitching experts can get him back on track.

Hard to believe we didn't get Ludwick. That seemed like the easy trade!

But it seems like they are intent on bolstering the hitting from the right side. They can still make a deal, although the guys would have to clear waivers.

loufla wrote:I cant believe that we could not offer a PTBNL for Ludwick.
Got a feeling that the Padres were asking for Chen or someone of that ilk. Got to believe that the PTBNL from the Pirates will be an above average prospect. Think the Indians really wanted Ludwick.

All in all I think Cleveland sports teams have the worst GMs around.

Really ? The cavs GM turned Mo Williams and Jamario moon into the #1 pick in the draft.

The Browns GM traded Brady Quinn for the cover boy of Madden. (Peyton Hillis) Not to mention he drafted Joe Haden and the next superstar Colt McCoy.

I know the Indians current president and current GM traded a broken down Victor Martinez for one of the best right handers in baseball. (masterson) Then when they were told by all the experts that he belonged in the bullpen they were smart enough to know better. Remember they also traded for one of the leading candidates for MVP. (Cabrera) If he played in NY or Boston he would be the unamious choice.

So do I believe they are the worst.

No way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never understood the anti sunshine law PTBNL, but I have secretly believed that it involves a few players and the result of the player given. For example when Sabathia did so well for the Brewers we got Brantley, had CC been a bust someone with less abilty or more distasteful to us.

Logically that makes sense but I do not know if it is true.

If we had gotten Ludwick and he really helped us into the playoffs we would give them the option of choosing someone like Chen or better. If he failed, we give him someone we dont really think we would miss.

Is this theory too naive?

Really, Jay Jay? I think we see examples of teams trading away their top prospects quite often. Heck, just this week we saw the Phillies trade the top two prospects in their system for Hunter Pence. Their top pitching prospect and their top hitting prospect.

Guys, how many times have us Indians fans been sold a bill of goods? One top pitching prospect after another touted by the organization and rarely do any of them help us at all. Tim Drew, Jaret Wright, Jeremy Sowards, Chuck Lofgren, Hector Rondon, Adam Miller, etc etc etc

Finally, we have a couple good pitching prospects actually help us. They landed us a proven major league top of the rotation starter. Fine by me.

On the PTBNL. In this situation, I would assume the player was drafted in 2010 by the Pirates and not elligible to be traded just like Pomeranz for the Indians.

I think in every PTBNL trade, the available players are known before the trade. In the CC trade, the Indians had a list that included Brantley from day one.

As far as Ludwick I do not think the Indians were willing to give up another one of their top 3 picks in 2010. I think Pittsburgh did to trump the Indians.