Re: Minor Matters

This week's Hot Prospects Report

8. Welbyn Francisca, SS, Guardians

Team: ACL Guardians

Why He’s Here: .688/.706/1.188 (11-for-16), 7 R, 5 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 1 BB, 1 SO, 2-for-2 SB

The Scoop: It took him a little while to get going, but Francisca has it cooking in the desert. One of the stars of the Dominican Summer League in 2023, Francisca produced an .830 OPS in June in the Arizona Complex League, including three home runs in 16 games. Turns out, that was just an appetizer. He’s been on a major tear in July, and so far has an absurd .519/.561/.827 slash line through a dozen games in the season’s final month. In July, he has more extra-base hits (10) than strikeouts (4).

BA updated Top 100 prospects
With the trade deadline near and the draft complete, we have a full July update that now includes 2024 draftees. For first rounders, we are adding them even if they have not yet signed. Only one first-round pick has not signed since 2019. If a player ends up not signing by the signing deadline, we will remove them at that point. If you want to get more information about why players moved up or down, you can track the movement here.
[does this mean that they don't include other draft picks who haven't yet signed? Apparently. So I'm looking forward to the new list after July 31.

19. Travis Bazzana [Condon is 13]
39 Chase DeLauter
65. Ralphy Velazquez
67. Kyle Manzardo [what role does he have with the Guardians? Do they remember he's there? He's still in AAA with OPS of 972
70 Angel Genao
78. Jaison Chourio

As has been noted all season, we have no pitchers in the 100. But Clemmey shouldn't be too far behind. Espino [fat chance!] would jump right back in if he were healthy. And the group of high school picks this year have the chance to leap into the ratings, once they sign and start playing and establish themselves; quite possibly until next summr.

BA Chat Q&A

Q: Bazzana is heading to High A to start his career this weekend. Do you think he could be in Cleveland before the end of 2025?
J.J. Cooper: 100%. We put a 2025 ETA on him for a reason. If he's as polished as expected and he stays healthy, a late 2025 arrival seems very reasonable.

and my other question:

I'm intrigued by catcher Cooper Ingle, 2023 pick, who leads the High A Midwest League in batting and OPS. How does he rate defensively? What's his ceiling?
J.J. Cooper:
Bat is ahead of his glove right now, but not in a "he can't catch" way. It's more he's such a good hitter that his defense will likely trail a level behind where his bat is ready to play at any spot.

[that sounds pretty good to me.

Keith Law's updated top 60 inlcude:

15 Travis Bazzana [Condon is 13th]
"The Aussie second baseman has already signed with the Guardians and should move very quickly through their system, as he’s an incredibly advanced hitter with great feel for the strike zone and at least solid-average power. We’ll see just how advanced the approach is when he faces some better pitching this summer than what he faced in the Pac-12 (RIP), but I don’t know anyone who was concerned about whether Bazzana would hit."

43 JaisonChourio
"Jackson’s little brother is just 19 but is having a hell of a year in Low A, hitting .274/.395/.410 with more walks than strikeouts and 26 steals in 32 attempts. He’s already tripled his career home run total, with 2 homers in his first 406 career PA and now 4 more this season, and overall he’s hitting the ball harder and coming into the power that Jackson showed as early as age 18. I don’t know if Jaison has quite his brother’s overall upside, but he does project as a plus defender in center with high OBPs and more than enough sock to hit major-league pitching."

57 Juan Brito
"Brito came to Cleveland in the trade that sent Nolan Jones to Colorado, a deal that maybe didn’t look so hot for the Guardians last year but that is going to work out just fine, even though Brito’s future as a regular will probably come with another organization. He’s a very disciplined hitter who’s a plus defender at second, and he’s shown enough power to be an above-average regular there or at third base, with 13 homers already this year. He’s actually flipped his platoon split from 2023 — last year he was much better hitting left-handed, while it’s the reverse this year, which is yet another point in favor of looking at at least two years of data when looking at left/right splits. But he’s blocked eight ways from Sunday in Cleveland, and now he’s got Travis Bazzana behind him, so if the Guardians make any sort of deadline deal, Brito seems very likely to be in it."

59 Kyle Manzardo
"Manzardo struggled in his brief major-league debut, putting him in good company, but it was more of the “hitting MLB pitching is hard” sort of struggle, rather than “this guy isn’t good enough.” He has a strikeout rate of 16.8 percent in Triple A, but it was 26.4 percent in his 82 PA in the majors. I don’t think he’s suddenly forgotten how to make contact — major-league pitching is just that much better than anything in the minors, and we’re seeing a lot of hitters need more time to adjust than we’re used to. I still see 20+ homers with strong OBPs here, though with passable-at-best defense at first."

No DeLauter. But I suppose if he can stay healthy the rest of the summer he will return to the list somewhere.

No. 1 pick Bazzana quickly getting some milestones out of the way

27 minutes ago

Brendan Samson

Travis Bazzana logged his first RBI in affiliated ball in his first game for High-A Lake County. In his second, he checked off a few more milestones.

The No. 1 pick in the 2024 MLB Draft – who is likely to rank among the Top 20 prospects in baseball once MLB Pipeline reveals its midseason re-rank – notched his first knock, his first extra-base hit and his first multihit game in the Captains' 3-2 loss to the Great Lakes Loons at Dow Diamond.

"Not too much emotion, but definitely a good feeling to get the first one," Bazzana said.

After he was unable to get his first hit out of the way in his debut on July 26, Bazzana made quick work of the task on Sunday. Leading off for the Guardians' High-A affiliate, the former Oregon State Beaver fouled off each of the first two offerings from right-hander Jacob Meador before working the count to 2-2 and rocketing the fifth pitch he saw through the hole between first and second. He would later come in to score on a bases-loaded walk, giving the Lake County the early lead.

"I feel good in the box, but I think I'm just working back a little bit to where I'd like to be," said Bazzana who hadn't had a live at-bat since June 9. "I think there's a little period right now where I'm trying to get my sights and my swing decisions right."

In addition to marking Bazzana’s first knock in the Minors, the single was also the first hit by a player from the 2024 Draft. He is the lone representative from that group to debut in affiliated baseball so far, taking the diamond just 12 days after being selected first overall. The quick turnaround from the Draft was of Bazzana's own design. As soon as the college season ended, he started ramping up his throwing and taking swings with a wood bat -- something he has used ever since his time in Australia.

"Playing within a week or two [of the Draft] was kind of my goal," Bazzana said. "I communicated that with the Guardians once I was selected and they said, 'Yeah, if you're ready, and you've been training the right way, we would like to be appropriately aggressive with getting you out there and playing.'"

Just like in his debut, Bazzana played a scheduled seven innings. The limited playing time is part of the ramp-up process that will continue throughout the next week.

The Australia native’s next at-bat came just one frame later. Facing Meador for the second time, Bazzana attempted a check-swing on a 3-2 heater, but it was ruled a full-swing and a strikeout

https://www.mlb.com/guardians/video/tra ... efault-vtp

In the fifth, Bazzana came out on top. In his third and final at-bat vs. Meador, he belted a line drive into the left-center field gap. The 60-grade runner showed off his speed, racing to third for what was ruled a double with an advance to third on a fielding error.

Bazzana would later fan in his final at-bat of the contest, finishing 2-for-4 with two runs scored – the only runs that Lake County posted in the contest.

"It's a definitely a step up as there's a lot of great arms out there," said Bazzana when asked about the competition in MiLB. "The Dodgers' High-A Great Lakes team that we just played, I mean, they had a lot of great stuff. A lot of guys upper 90s, a lot of guys with good secondaries. Definitely a jump up but it's a part of that transition period and I'm excited for the challenge."

The 21-year-old is coming off a record-setting career with Oregon State, where he set Beavers career marks in hits and home runs. During his 2024 campaign, he set single-season OSU records for runs scored (84), homers (28) and slugging percentage (.911), while ranking second in Division I in on-base percentage (.568), slugging and walks (76). He reached base in all 60 games he played and was named a 2024 Golden Spikes Award finalist and the Pac-12 Player of the Year.

As he embarks on his journey through the Minors and eventually the big leagues, Bazzana is focused on being himself and letting his play do the talking.

"Just continue to have a great process and go out and prepare well and play every game with fire, confidence and intensity," Bazzana said. "Let the outcomes be the outcomes and let everyone else control those variables, but just focus on playing winning baseball and being me out on the field."

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Baseball America has significantly updated each team's top 30 after the draft signings, but before the trade deadline.

Cleveland's new top 30 as compared to player's ranking preseason [only if I can find those lists: and I cannot; can find preseason 2023 but not 2024]

1 Bazzana 2b
2. DeLauter of was No. 1
3. Velazquz 1b
4. Manzardo 1b
5. Genao ss
6. Chourio of
7. Clemmey LHP
8. Brito 2b
9, Espino RHP
10. Martinez "2B"

11. Kayfus 1b [was either way down around 29 or not on the list at all
12. Cozart C 2024 draftee
13. Humphries LHP
14. Francisca ss
15. Cantillo LHP
16. Valera OF
17. Doughty RHP 2024 draftee
18. Oakie RHP 2024 draftee
19 Noel OF
20. R Ramirez SS

21. Messick LHP
22. Watson SS/OF
23. Ingle C not ranked
24. Halpin OF
25. G. Rodriguez SS
26. Walters RH-Reliever
27. R. Arias OF
28. Tena SS
29. Mobley RHP 2024 draftee
30. Frias SS

It’s been a banner year for the Guardians in the majors and the minors. While the big league club is trying to run away with the AL Central division, the Guardians are seeing a number of young prospects take big steps forward in the minors, as well.

Cleveland has too many middle infielders, which gives the team ammunition to make trades if it’s willing to add salary to the big league club. The Guardians have a nice mix of power bats, as well, including the deepest group of first base prospects in the minors.

The pitching is also in solid shape, with high-ceiling arms like Alex Clemmey paired with polished pitchers like Parker Messick.

Baseball America subscribers can see the full updated Guardians Top 30 here. Notable risers, fallers, new additions and injury updates are below.

Notable Risers
Ralphy Velazquez, 1B

Velazquez shelved his catching gear to focus on first base and hitting in his first full pro season. He’s impressed scouts, projecting to hit for average and power. Velazquez has begun playing some left field, but he’s one of a large number of interesting first base prospects for the Guardians.

Angel Genao, SS/2B

Genao worked hard all offseason on seeing the ball better and making better swing decisions. He’s reaping the rewards, getting better pitches to hit and hitting the ball harder. His defense has improved, as well.

C.J. Kayfus, 1B/OF

Kayfus has been the best hitter on the field wherever he’s played this year, failing to get on base in only four of his first 64 games. The Guardians are working on his versatility, getting him time in left field in addition to first base. He’s a pure hitter who doesn’t hit the ball exceptionally hard, but does a good job maximizing the power he has.

Notable Fallers
Jackson Humphries, LHP

Humphries has made every start this year for Low-A Lynchburg, but the 19-year-old has yet to show what he can do when he’s fully healthy, as a stomach illness early in the season sapped his energy and caused him to lose weight. He’s yet to get back to the stuff he showed last year, generally sitting at 89-91 mph.

Notable New Additions
10. C.J. Kayfus, 1B

BA Grade/Risk: 50/High

Track Record: A two-year starter at Miami, Kayfus hit over .340 in each of those two seasons with more walks than strikeouts each year. The Guardians’ third-round pick in 2023, Kayfus had an excellent 2023 pro debut and was even better in the first half of 2024, earning a promotion to Double-A Akron.

Scouting Report: Kayfus is a pure hitter who makes tons of contact with the ability to draw walks. He doesn’t post massive exit velocities, but he has learned to maximize his power by doing a good job of driving balls to his pull side when he gets into advantageous counts. Defensively, he’s above-average at first, and is now getting time in left field.

The Future: Kayfus is yet another in a bounty of Guardians’ first base prospects. His profile is pretty similar to that of Kyle Manzardo, but with better foot speed.

Scouting Grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 40 | Field: 55 | Run: 45 | Arm: 45.

28. Daniel Schneemann, 2B/3B/OF

ArticleMinors
Cleveland Guardians Prospects: 2024 Midseason Top 30 Update
July 9, 2024
July 9, 2024
J.J. Cooper
0 Comments

It’s been a banner year for the Guardians in the majors and the minors. While the big league club is trying to run away with the AL Central division, the Guardians are seeing a number of young prospects take big steps forward in the minors, as well.

Cleveland has too many middle infielders, which gives the team ammunition to make trades if it’s willing to add salary to the big league club. The Guardians have a nice mix of power bats, as well, including the deepest group of first base prospects in the minors.

The pitching is also in solid shape, with high-ceiling arms like Alex Clemmey paired with polished pitchers like Parker Messick.

Baseball America subscribers can see the full updated Guardians Top 30 here. Notable risers, fallers, new additions and injury updates are below.

Notable Risers
Ralphy Velazquez, 1B

Velazquez shelved his catching gear to focus on first base and hitting in his first full pro season. He’s impressed scouts, projecting to hit for average and power. Velazquez has begun playing some left field, but he’s one of a large number of interesting first base prospects for the Guardians.

Angel Genao, SS/2B

Genao worked hard all offseason on seeing the ball better and making better swing decisions. He’s reaping the rewards, getting better pitches to hit and hitting the ball harder. His defense has improved, as well.

C.J. Kayfus, 1B/OF

Kayfus has been the best hitter on the field wherever he’s played this year, failing to get on base in only four of his first 64 games. The Guardians are working on his versatility, getting him time in left field in addition to first base. He’s a pure hitter who doesn’t hit the ball exceptionally hard, but does a good job maximizing the power he has.

Notable Fallers
Jackson Humphries, LHP

Humphries has made every start this year for Low-A Lynchburg, but the 19-year-old has yet to show what he can do when he’s fully healthy, as a stomach illness early in the season sapped his energy and caused him to lose weight. He’s yet to get back to the stuff he showed last year, generally sitting at 89-91 mph.

Notable New Additions
10. C.J. Kayfus, 1B

BA Grade/Risk: 50/High

Track Record: A two-year starter at Miami, Kayfus hit over .340 in each of those two seasons with more walks than strikeouts each year. The Guardians’ third-round pick in 2023, Kayfus had an excellent 2023 pro debut and was even better in the first half of 2024, earning a promotion to Double-A Akron.

Scouting Report: Kayfus is a pure hitter who makes tons of contact with the ability to draw walks. He doesn’t post massive exit velocities, but he has learned to maximize his power by doing a good job of driving balls to his pull side when he gets into advantageous counts. Defensively, he’s above-average at first, and is now getting time in left field.

The Future: Kayfus is yet another in a bounty of Guardians’ first base prospects. His profile is pretty similar to that of Kyle Manzardo, but with better foot speed.

Scouting Grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 40 | Field: 55 | Run: 45 | Arm: 45.