Re: GameTime!™

All I can remember is sitting on my mom's lap listening to the game. Big fan, my mom. If it weren't for my mom, I'd probably be a Pirate fan being brought up in the Ohio Valley in Bridgeport across the river from Wheeling.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Twins win, Royals lose
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Guardians beat Reds, 5-3, as Steven Kwan strikes early and Josh Naylor strikes late

Updated: Jun. 11, 2024, 10:19 p.m.|Published: Jun. 11, 2024, 10:14 p.m.

By Paul Hoynes, cleveland.com

CINCINNATI — Triston McKenzie, Tyler Freeman and Steven Kwan did most of the early work. Josh Naylor dead bolted the doors, blew out the candles and lowered the shades.

That’s how the Guardians beat the Reds, 5-2, Tuesday night to take the first round in their quest to keep the Ohio Cup on the shores of Lake Erie and not on the banks of the Ohio River.

McKenzie (3-3, 4.10) went 5 1/3 innings to win his first game since April 19. Freeman played Superman at the center field wall and Kwan just keeps hitting and hitting.

Still, the game was tighter than Scrooge’s purse strings until Naylor gave the Guardians a 4-2 lead with his first-pitch homer to start the eighth inning. It was Naylor’s 17th homer of the season, matching his total from last season.

As soon as he made contact with Fernando Cruz’s 88 mph cut fastball, he turned and looked into the stands behind the plate at Great American Ball Park before taking a trip around the bases.

Naylor added another insurance run in the ninth with a ground out to give him three RBI for the game.

The Guards are 22-14 on the road and have won 16 of their last 21 games. The Reds, playing good baseball, lost for just the third time in their last nine games.

Kwan, who went 3 for 4 and has reached base in 18 straight games, put the Guardians in front 2-1 with a two-run double in the third. He was down in the count 1-2, but worked Nick Martinez for a six-pitch at-bat before doubling past third to score Brayan Rocchio and Bo Naylor.

Rocchio walked to start the inning and went to third on catcher Bo Naylor’s double to the wall in right. It was Naylor’s first game since Thursday against Kansas City at Progressive Field when he injured his left shoulder in a collision at the plate.

Freeman moved Kwan to third with a single to center. Then with two out and Freeman running on the pitch, Josh Naylor poked a single into right field to score Kwan and send Freeman to third for a 3-1 lead.

The Reds took a 1-0 lead in the first, but it could have been a much bigger lead if not for the defense of Freeman.

TJ Friedl singled to start the first against McKenzie. Jeimer Candelario, who entered the game with seven homers and 25 RBI in his career against the Guardians, scored Friedl with a double past third after McKenzie moved him to second with on an errant pickoff attempt to first.

Then Freeman took over the inning.

Spencer Steer sent a drive to the wall in center that Freeman caught while he banged into the barrier for the second out. Jake Fraley sent another drive to almost the same spot. Freeman sprinted to the wall, jumped and caught the ball as it was clearing the yellow line to rob Fraley of a two-run homer and end the inning.

McKenzie carried the 3-1 lead into the sixth. He walked Elly De La Cruz to start the inning. Cruz moved to second on Candelario’s bouncer back to the mound for the first out. Steer sent Cruz home with a single to left to make it a 3-2 game.

That ended McKenzie’s night after 5 1/3 innings as lefty Tim Herrin relieved to face Fraley, a left-handed hitter. Reds manager David Bell countered with right-handed pinch-hitter Stuart Fairchild. Steer stole second and Fairchild walked to put the pressure on Herrin.

Tyler Stephenson sent a double-play ball to Jose Ramirez at third, but it took a wicked hop causing Ramirez to bobble it. He recovered in time force Fairchild at second, but the Reds still had runners on the corners.

Herrin finally brought the messy inning to an end by striking out pinch-hitter Espinal Santiago to protect the 3-2 lead.

McKenzie allowed two runs on four hits. He struck out four and walked two. The Guardians are 10-3 in his 13 starts.

The Reds went with a bullpen game, starting lefty Brent Suter who went one inning followed by six relievers.

Emmanuel Clase pitched the ninth for his 20th save in 23 chances. The Reds reached him for a run. Clase also hit Blake Dunn in the batting helmet with 101 mph cut fastball.

Next:

RHP Tanner Bibee (4-1, 3.73) vs. LHP Nick Lodolo (6-2, 2.92) on Wednesday at 7:10 p.m. Bally Sports Great Lakes, WTAM, WMMS and the Guardians radio network will carry the game.

<

CONDENSED GAME

https://www.mlb.com/video/condensed-gam ... in-6-11-24

<
-- Bob Feller

Looks like The front office also noticed Manzardo's inactivity. He's been returned to Columbus and JRod will stay in CLE at least for awhile.

My next two moves would be:

1/ Give Bo a Columbus vacation for maybe a month including over the all star break to try get his offense clicking again.
Go with Hedges and Fry behind the plate but that's short term move only

2/ Give Jose Tena a summer vacation in CLE and let Arias join the Clippers. I am not quite sure where he gets At Bats but a little time at SS; an occasion at 3rd or 2nd. If Fry will be catching often; see 1/ above, then they'll be more need for Schneemann in the OF and an occasional opportunity for Tena in the IF.

civ ollilavad wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:03 pm Looks like The front office also noticed Manzardo's inactivity. He's been returned to Columbus and JRod will stay in CLE at least for awhile.

My next two moves would be:

1/ Give Bo a Columbus vacation for maybe a month including over the all star break to try get his offense clicking again.
Go with Hedges and Fry behind the plate but that's short term move only

2/ Give Jose Tena a summer vacation in CLE and let Arias join the Clippers. I am not quite sure where he gets At Bats but a little time at SS; an occasion at 3rd or 2nd. If Fry will be catching often; see 1/ above, then they'll be more need for Schneemann in the OF and an occasional opportunity for Tena in the IF.
Well said, if only you were in charge!!!!!
UD

Too many things went wrong last night

The most obvious was another very bad outing by McKenzie. He's among the leaders both in walks and home runs. I expected a lot more

Then the totally untouchable bullpen was quite touchable. 4 relievers each allowed a run a day after Sandlin retired no one and allowed 3 runs.
Best work of the night was by Arias

And then Steven Kwan had only one measly single and his average crashed to 392. But he did narrow the gap on official qualification for lead leadership recognition.
He's now 71 for 181. 201 total plate appearances; 217 required to qualify.
Again the way final winners are determined lets someone short of the 3.1 per game total still win the title if his average is computed adding in AB equal to the number by which he is short. If Steven were 0 for his next 16 he'd be 71 for 197 which is 360 and 39 points above Bobby Witt the "official" leader.
Just to note the same 39 point gap separates Witt from Number 11 in the league at 282.
There are only 4 300 plus hitters in the league. Yet more evidence of how unique and special Kwan and the idiocy of him NOT being an All Star starter

Don't forget Bo civ!

I don't think they send Bo down. Reason is that they have spent so much time training him to work with this pitching staff and catch/game plan at the big league level they need to keep him in school in Cleveland.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain