Re: SPRING TRAINING 2017!

Let loose the show ponies: Guardians spring training breakfast

Updated: Mar. 02, 2024, 11:56 a.m.|Published: Mar. 02, 2024, 8:27 a.m.

By Paul Hoynes, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Spring training is gaining momentum for the Guardians.

It’s easy to tell because as former Indians traveling secretary Mike Seghi used to say, “They’re bringing the show ponies out of the barn.” That’s show ponies as in the pitchers who are expected to be in the rotation come opening day.

Gavin Williams threw two scoreless innings with four strikeouts on Thursday against the Angels. Shane Bieber, in line for his fifth opening day start on March 28, will make his spring debut Saturday at Goodyear Ballpark agains the Royals. In Sunday’s split-squad Tanner Bibee will face the Giants and Logan Allen will face the Cubs in their first Cactus League starts.

If all goes well, Triston McKenzie should make his first Cactus League start sometime next week. He was scheduled to throw a simulated game on Thursday.

“I’m excited to watch them all throw,” said manager Stephen Vogt. “It hasn’t been that long, but it feels like it has. It’s just great when you start to see guys out on the field more regularly.

“When you see they starting to make their turns in the rotation, it’s a nice thing.”

Friendly foe

Kansas City manager Matt Quatraro was Vogt’s first manager in pro ball. They’ll be in opposite dugouts on Saturday.

The Rays drafted Vogt in 2007 and he reported to Quatraro’s Class A Hudson Valley team in the now defunct New York-Penn League.

“I learned a lot from Q,” said Vogt. “He taught me how to work. How to be a pro. I couldn’t have been more blessed to have a first manager in professional baseball like Matt Quatraro.

“He held us to a consistent standard of what it took to be a pro. He probably used that line every day — it’s part of being a professional. He showed me this is how you work. There are no days off even when you’re not playing.”

Promotion

Outfielder Chase DeLauter will continue to work out with the big league club. The rest of the depth camp roster has reported to minor league camp.

DeLauter has appeared in four Cactus League games and is hitting .571 (4 for 7) with one homer.

On the shelf

Catcher Bo Naylor (back spasms) was cleared Friday to play catch at 90 feet and take 40 swings. He was scratched from Monday’s lineup against the Padres with a stiff back.

Naylor has appeared in just one game this spring.

Center fielder Myles Straw was away from the complex for a second straight day Friday with a viral infection.

Daniel Espino, recovering from right shoulder surgery that cost him last season, is due for a 10-month checkup on Monday.

What they’re saying

Vogt on Emmanuel Clase’s first outing of the spring against Arizona on Wednesday: “He looked awesome. He was 98 with cut and his slider looked good ... He was all you can ask for in the first spring training outing.”

Clase retired the Diamondbacks, including Corbin Carroll, last year’s NL Rookie of the Year, in order with two strikeouts. He threw a called third strike past Carroll.

Vogt on Williams’ first spring training outing: “Gavin looked smooth. The fastball was really coming out with a lot of life. I was really pleased with the way he threw.”

Saturday’s game

Bieber makes his Cactus League debut on Saturday when the Royals visit Goodyear Ballpark. Game time is 3:05 p.m. ET and WTAM will carry the game.

Bieber is coming off a season in which he made only 21 starts because of a sore right elbow. But he changed his training program during the winter, attending Driveline Baseball in Scottsdale, and he has been pleased with the results.

Ben Lively, Clase, Nick Sandlin, Eli Morgan and Jack Leftwich are scheduled to follow Bieber to the mound.

The Royals will start RHP Seth Lugo, one of several additions they made during the offseason to try and rebound from a 106-loss season.

Saturday’s lineup:

SS Brayan Rocchio, CF Tyler Freeman, DH Estevan Florial, LF Jhonkensy Noel, 1B Kyle Manzardo, RF Jonathan Rodriguez, 2B Angel Martinez, C Dom Nunez, 3B Daniel Schneemann, RHP Bieber.

What’s next

The Guardians play split squad games on Sunday against the Cubs and Giants. Allen will face the Cubs in Mesa at 3:05 p.m. Bibee will face the Giants at Goodyear Ballpark at 3:05 p.m. WTAM will carry that game.

Here are Cleveland’s next five games following Monday’s off-day.

Seattle @Goodyear Ballpark on Tuesday at 3:05 p.m. ET. Bally Sports Great Lakes will carry the game.

@Milwaukee on Wednesday at Maryvale Stadium in Phoenix at 3:05 p.m. Bally Sports Great Lakes or WTAM will not carry the game.

@Oakland on Thursday at HoHoKam Stadium in Mesa at 3:05 p.m. Bally Sports Great Lakes or WTAM will not carry the game.

White Sox @Goodyear Ballpark on Friday at 3:05 p.m. WTAM will carry the game.

Angels @Goodyear Ballpark on Saturday at 3:05 p.m. ET. Bally Sports Great Lakes and WTAM will carry the game.

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Guardians outfielder makes changes, learns a lesson, but can he keep his job?

Updated: Mar. 01, 2024, 4:38 p.m.|Published: Mar. 01, 2024, 3:56 p.m.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Will Brennan moved from Kansas City to Dallas this winter to train with teammate David Fry and get a new perspective.

He made changes in the batter’s box, lowering his hands and working on a new loading pattern.

He attended two of hitting coach Chris Valaika’s swing camps, one in Goodyear, Arizona and the other in Louisiana.

Mentally, he changed his attitude.

“I want to get back to where I was coming out of the minors,” said Brennan.

He worked on melding that attitude with the year of big league experience he gained last season with the Guardians. There were lessons to learn, some easy, some hard.

The biggest thing he worked on this winter, was the simplest.

“For the most part it’s trying to swing at the right pitches,” said Brennan with a smile. “Honestly, that’s what it comes down to.”

This spring is all about Brennan trying to hang on to his job in right field. It’s sitting right in front of him.

Last year Brennan hit .266 (115 for 432) with 24 doubles, five homers and 41 RBI in 138 games. He came on at the end of the year, hitting .320 (31 for 97) from Aug. 21 through the end of the year.

When the season ended, he was not happy.

“I was a little more consistent at the end of the year,” said Brennan. “But my OPS (.655) was down. The numbers that kind of matter in the league now were down. Being able to make those adjustments in the offseason to improve all that stuff is going to help me.”

The Guardians need more production from an outfield that hit just 18 home runs last year. Brennan knows that all too well.

“He’s been impacting the ball really well whether it’s in his batting practice, machine work and cage work,” said manager Stephen Vogt. “Will has an opportunity to play a huge role with us. I’m really excited to watch him progress.”

Through six spring training games, Brennan is hitting .250 (2 for 8) with one triple, one homer and two RBI. In Thursday’s 4-1 loss to the Angels, Brennan DH’d and received four at-bats, an unusually high number for this early in spring training.

In the ninth he tripled home Cleveland’s only run.

Brennan, a left-handed hitter, hit his homer off Seattle lefty Kirby Snead on Feb. 25. He did not homer off a lefty in 83 at-bats last season.

Valaika is trying to get Cleveland’s contact-oriented hitters such as Brennan to gamble a little with their swings.

“The biggest thing for Will is we’re looking for higher intent,” said Valaika. “We’re looking for him to get his swing off. The impact potential is there. We’ve seen it in the past. It’s just trying to maximize what we know he can do and get it out a little more consistently.

We want to take our shots when we can. If we miss we can always default back to putting balls in play and being a tough out. With Will, specifically, the engine is there. It’s just getting him to use it a little bit more.”

Brennan made his big league debut late in 2022. He even got a couple of hits in the postseason.

Here’s what he did at Class AA Akron and Class AAA Columbus to earn that promotion. He hit .314 (166 for 528) with 40 doubles, four triples, 13 homers, 107 RBI and a .850 OPS.

When Brennan says he wants to get back to who he was coming out of the minors, that’s what he’s talking about.

“It means being able to drive the ball to all gaps,” said Brennan. “It means driving in runs. I feel I didn’t drive in runs last year like I’m capable of doing. I’m going to play hard every night, but being able to help this team every night is what’s really important.

“Last year I was just trying to do too much. I was trying to be someone that I’m not.”

Along the way he learned a lesson.

Early in the season he wasn’t playing a lot, and he struggled with it. Later in the year he was in the lineup more frequently.

“My playing time was a little sporadic at the beginning of the year,” he said. “That’s common, especially for young guys. Now I’ve got that year of experience were if I’m not playing, I’m not going to let it effect the way I approach the game.

“I understand and appreciate how hard it is to play this game now. I have a different mentality toward it.”

A new attitude and a revamped swing. That’s what spring training is all about, but Brennan and the Guardians are hoping it lasts a lot longer than that.

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Has path cleared for veteran starter to make team? Guardians spring training breakfast

Updated: Mar. 02, 2024, 6:10 a.m.|Published: Mar. 01, 2024, 9:38 a.m.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- When the Guardians announced that they’d signed Carlos Carrasco to a minor league deal on Feb. 1, it made for a feel-good story.

Beyond the emotions of Carrasco’s return to Cleveland, where he’d spent the first 11 years of his career, there was a question: Where does he fit?

Carrasco has been a starter almost his entire career. He pitched out of the pen in 2019, but other than that he’s always been in the rotation.

The Guardians’ rotation, providing everyone comes out of camp healthy, is set with Shane Bieber, Triston McKenzie, Tanner Bibee, Logan Allen and Gavin Williams.

Rookie manager Stephen Vogt said Carrasco was in a group of pitchers being “built out.” In other words, they were going to be treated like starters, throwing as many innings as possible in spring training. Then as opening day approached, the Guardians could pivot and put one or two of them in the bullpen if there was a need.

It still seemed like a tight fit because the bullpen was a team strength, but in spring training there are always injuries.

James Karinchak has been idle since early in camp with a sore right shoulder. The Guards announced Wednesday that Trevor Stephan, another reliever, will be sidelined for at least three weeks with a bone bruise in his right elbow.

Suddenly, Cleveland’s bullpen had more holes than a block of Swiss cheese.

Carrasco makes his second start of the spring Friday night against the Dodgers. When he faced the Reds last Saturday in the Cactus League opener he said he was so nervous he couldn’t feel the ball in his right hand.

Those nerves should be behind him by now. Perhaps it will help that his pathway to a potential spot on the opening day roster on March 28 in Oakland has become a bit clearer.

<
-- Bob Feller

How Cleveland Guardians manager Stephen Vogt found his voice

Tim Kurkjian, ESPN Senior Writer

Mar 2, 2024, 10:00 AM ET

IT IS OPENING Day 2017. Stephen Vogt, the Oakland A's multi-talented, multi-dimensional, multi-personality catcher, was asked to perform something on tape that could be played on TV before his first at-bat that day -- ideally, his hysterical rendition of Chris Farley's riotous "In A Van Down By The River" skit from "Saturday Night Live."

"That's just for my teammates,'' he said. "But I'll sing something for you.''

So, in full uniform, only hours before the first pitch of the season, Vogt sang from three Disney songs, led by a heartwarming diddy from "The Little Mermaid." It was played before his first at-bat of the game, and seconds later, he hit a home run.

From "Under The Sea" to over the fence.

From Ariel to aerial.

That moment, that day, captures who Stephen Vogt is. He is so secure in himself, so comfortable in his own skin. He is meticulously prepared, and "obsessively observant,'' according to former teammate Elliot Johnson -- traits that will be critical for a major league manager. He has tremendous communication skills, the most important attribute of today's manager. And Vogt is relentless: He did not get a hit in his first 32 at-bats in the major leagues, yet found his way to two All-Star teams. This is why the Cleveland Guardians named Vogt, age 39 with no managerial experience on any level, to replace the irreplaceable Tito Francona as their manager.

"Within five minutes of our first Zoom call with him, we got the overwhelming feeling that he would make a great manager -- five minutes,'' Guardians general manager Mike Chernoff said. "Even though he had only coached for one year [2023 with Seattle], he already had a managerial philosophy in place. He walked us through it, and it was obvious that he would be great. And every reference call we made, we heard the same thing, like, 'I only knew him for one year in A-ball, but I knew he would be a great manager.'''

It's a sentiment echoed by plenty of Vogt's former teammates.

"He is the perfect storm of knowledge and awareness and he just got done playing at a very high level,'' Jerry Blevins said. "He checks all the boxes. He is all-of-the above.''

"The baseball gods single out their guys before they are even born,'' former teammate Dallas Braden said. "And they picked Vogter. We all knew he would be a great manager.''

"It's like he has been doing this for 10 years,'' said Guardians catcher Austin Hedges. "His first speech to the team this spring was incredible. The energy in the room is amazing.''

"Vogter is one of the greatest teammates I've ever had,'' said Los Angeles Dodgers third baseman Max Muncy. "He has all the makings to be a Hall of Fame manager.''

IT IS SPRING training in 2012 in Port Charlotte. Tampa Bay Rays manager Joe Maddon organized a talent show.

"That put Stephen on the map,'' said Johnson, then a utility man for the Rays. "He was in minor league camp. I had no idea who he was. No one had ever heard of him. He was one of the last acts. He killed it. He did impersonations [of Maddon, farm director Mitch Lukevics and coach Matt Quatraro]. Everyone was dying laughing. He won the pot. He probably went home with $2,000. The rest of that spring, when we needed someone from minor league camp to come over, we'd say, 'Let's bring that Vogt guy over so he can do impersonations for us.'''

Sure enough, Maddon routinely brought him over to big league camp.

"I had a couple of conversations with him that spring and thought, 'My God, this guy would be perfect on any team,'" Maddon said. "I got a whiff of his humor. He did this impersonation of me where he rides in on his bicycle wearing a Rays jacket and glasses. He gets a fungo and puts it under his one leg and crosses over like I do. Then he starts talking using big words. We'd bring him over in the morning, we would have a huddle before our workouts, and he would rock it every time.''

Giants manager Bob Melvin was one of Vogt's managers with the Oakland Athletics. "The hardest part of every meeting is, 'How does it end?''' Melvin said. "You just clap and say, 'Let's go.' Our meetings always ended with Vogter. Levity. Funny. He is the perfect way to end a meeting.''

The "Van Down By The River" skit is among Vogt's famous impersonations; he even provides his own table that collapses when porky, dorky motivational speaker Matt Foley falls on it.

"I still have that clip on my phone,'' former teammate Sean Doolittle said. "I watch it all the time.''

The communication skills, the importance of inclusion, the sense of humor, the fearless ability to perform and entertain all come from the influence of Vogt's parents, Randy and Toni. They insisted that Stephen and his brother, Danny, do more than sports. Stephen played the trumpet, sang in the choir and did several school plays.

"My mom said we needed to be involved in music because it allows you to appreciate everything,'' Vogt said. "Music was a big part of our family. I sing all the time. What I miss most is singing with the choir. There is no pressure greater than singing a solo. Everyone's parents are watching. Being in a church play, public speaking and performing allows you to tune out the audience and really just focus on what you're supposed to be doing.''

How did his high school baseball and basketball teammates react to him being in the school plays?

"Obviously, I got made fun of, but not too bad,'' Vogt said. "It was the person I was raised to be. People are into different things, that doesn't make one weird. I had a teacher tell me once years after high school that I made uncool things cool. That was such a really neat compliment. Everything is awesome in your own way. Being able to put on your drama hat and go put on your baseball hat, your basketball hat, your student government hat relating to everybody and being able to interact with everybody is super important.''

Johnson sees another way that Vogt's impressions impacted the way he played -- and the way he'll manage.

"He pays attention,'' Johnson said. "When you can do voices and mannerisms, it shows being observant. Vogter was always locked in. He will be [the same] as a manager. When he talks to his players, he will already know everything about them. If someone is too high, too full of himself, he can bring that guy back to center. If someone is too low, he can bring him back up. Great clubhouse guy, secure human.''

"He has an innate ability to make everyone around him more comfortable," Doolittle said.

That will be more important than ever as a manager.

"It's being able to read your teammates and read the room,'' Vogt said. "There are times when the tension gets really high over the course of six months. There are times when we are down as a team. The guys need to laugh. If you're not smiling and laughing on the baseball field, you're not going to play your best. For three hours a day we get to be 12-year-old kids again. If you lose that perspective, not many are good enough to overcome that.''

IT IS SPRING training 2024 with the Guardians. Stephen Vogt is wandering the field wearing uniform No. 12, carrying a fungo bat and observing, missing nothing. Matt Foley and the Disney balladeer are inside him, but as Muncy said, "once the game starts, it's all about winning.''

Doolittle said, "He is one of smartest players I ever played with. He's not a goofball. I would sit next to him on planes. When everyone else is playing cards, he's doing his homework.''

"He is always asking questions," Blevins said. "All the smart people I've been around ask the most questions. He would get into your head. He'd ask me, 'You shook this, why did you want to throw that?' I'd answer his question, and the next time he'd adjust.''

"We learn from failure,'' Vogt said. "No one learns from success. And Lord knows I've had enough failures.''

Vogt was drafted by the Rays in the 12th round in 2007 out of Azusa Pacific College. He finally got to the big leagues in 2012. "He was always a good hitter,'' Maddon said. "But I kept hearing in the meetings that he was going to be a 2-A or 3-A player. His defense was substandard. He heard all those things, too. He was very motivated.''

He went 0-for-25 in his first year with the Rays, then was sold to the A's, where he went hitless in his first seven at-bats. That's 0-for-32: the fourth longest hitless streak by a position player to begin a career in the expansion era (1961-on), trailing only Vic Harris (0-36 in 1972), Lou Camilli (0-34 in 1971) and Chris Carter (0-33 in 2012).

"I don't know how I got through that," Vogt said. "That was tough. You reach your dream of making it to the major leagues and then you go home 0-for-25. You have to look everybody in the eye. You're giving hitting lessons and you're wondering if the kid and parents are asking, 'Why are letting this guy give our kids hitting lessons? The guy can't hit.'''

But in 2015 and 2016, Vogt made the All-Star team with the A's -- and became one of the most popular players at the club. "When he was catching in Oakland, I'd come to the plate and sing what everyone sings in Oakland: 'I believe in Stephen Vogt,''' Hedges said. "We'd be laughing. Great banter. I'd have to say to him, 'Hey Vogter, I got to get locked in here. This is a great conversation, but I'm trying to get a hit off your guy.''

Vogt was waived by the A's in 2017, then played for the Milwaukee Brewers, San Francisco Giants, Arizona Diamondbacks and the Atlanta Braves, where he won a World Series ring in 2021.

As far back as A-ball, Vogt wanted to be a coach. After watching Melvin manage, he determined that he might be able to do that job someday. "A lot of things suggested that he would manage," Melvin said, "but mostly, it was his interaction with me. The questions he asked me. Things you don't get from a lot of players. He was not afraid to ask. Very inquisitive.''

It was with Milwaukee, where he was injured and couldn't play, that he became certain about his career path. Then-Brewers manager Craig Counsell and general manager David Stearns "allowed me behind the curtain'' to understand free agency, the draft, the whole process, Vogt said.

"I've been building for this for a long time, writing managerial philosophies in notebooks,'' Vogt said of his job in Cleveland. "I'm in a great spot here. There is help everywhere. I need help. We have 200 years of coaching experience on this team. When I got here, we went to 201.''

It helps that Vogt was an active player only two years ago. He has never left the game; nothing has passed him by.

"He already knows exactly what that player is feeling because he constantly has the pulse of everyone around him," Braden said. "He will relate to the 26th guy on the roster exactly the same way as he will relate to the star of the team. It takes a special set of skills to do that. He knows what it takes to get the best out of everyone, every day. And in this analytics world in the big leagues, that skill is more important than it has ever been. He nails it.''

The last player to become a manager only two years after retirement was Larry Bowa in 1989. Vogt's final day in the major league was his most memorable.

"It was Oct. 4, the last day of that [2022] season,'' Braden said. "He has already announced to the world that he is retiring. I go down to the bullpen before the game. Stephen Vogt straps on the gear and does a pre-game, ball-blocking drill. He is never going to put shin guards again in his life, and what does he do? He gets his early work in so he could set the right example for everyone. It is always about doing the right thing.''

In the final at-bat of his career, Vogt's three children, Payton (now 12), Clark (9) and Bennett (6), announced his name over the public address system at the Oakland Coliseum.

And, of course, as he always does in the biggest moments, he hit a homer.

"To hear your kids' voices, them saying, 'Now batting, our dad,' it still makes me emotional,'' Vogt said. "It was an incredible moment. The kids were like 'Dad, no way, I can't believe you did that!'''

Actually, with Stephen Vogt, and only Stephen Vogt, it is believable.

<

Matt Foley (Chris Farley): Van Down By The River - SNL

https://youtu.be/Xv2VIEY9-A8

<

<

Matt Foley (Steven Vogt): Van Down By The River

https://www.mlb.com/news/stephen-vogt-g ... c182129058

:lol: :lol: :lol:

<
-- Bob Feller

After walking 2 out of the first 3 Royals with 1 out, Adam Frazier grounded into an unassisted double play, second baseman Angel Martínez to first baseman Kyle Manzardo. Nelson Velázquez out at 2nd. Adam Frazier out at 1st. 0-0 heading into the bottom of the first.

Brayan Rocchio leads off the first and Tyler Freeman homered (1) on a fly ball to left center field. Brayan Rocchio scores. 0-2.
Estevan Florial called out on strikes.
Jhonkensy Noel doubles (1) on a sharp line drive off the wall to left fielder Adam Frazier.
Kyle Manzardo walks.
Johnathan Rodriguez called out on strikes after wrapping one around the foul pole juuuust foul.
Angel Martínez (6 for 10, .600 AVG, 1.636 OPS) singles on a ground ball to left fielder Adam Frazier. Jhonkensy Noel scores. Kyle Manzardo to 2nd. 0-3.
Nunez walks to load the bases.
Schneemann first pitch swinging, grounds out sharply to first to retire the side. Guardians bat around in the first.
Guards being aggressive, swinging hard early in the count. Paying off. End of 1, 0-3.
Bieber throwing 93 mph.

<
Last edited by joez on Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Bob Feller

After retiring the first two batters, Bieber walks one and surrenders a base hit. Pitcihing change. Bieber walked 3 with no strikeouts.
Pitching Change: Bradley Hanner replaces Shane Bieber
Tyler Tolbert singles on a line drive to right fielder Johnathan Rodriguez. Sandy León scores. Dairon Blanco to 3rd. 1-3
Maikel Garcia doubles (1) on a line drive to right fielder Johnathan Rodriguez. Dairon Blanco scores. Tyler Tolbert scores. 3-3
Vinnie Pasquantino walks.
Nelson Velázquez singles on a line drive to left fielder Jhonkensy Noel. Maikel Garcia scores. Vinnie Pasquantino to 2nd. 4-3
Adam Frazier flies out to center fielder Tyler Freeman. KC bats around and takes the lead 4-3.

<

Brayan Rocchio flies out to center fielder Garrett Hampson
Tyler Freeman flies out to left fielder Adam Frazier.
Estevan Florial hit by pitch.
Estevan Florial steals (2) 2nd base. Estevan Florial to 3rd. Estevan Florial advances to 3rd, on a throwing error by catcher Sandy León.
Jhonkensy Noel strikes out swinging 4-3

<
-- Bob Feller

Pitching Change: Emmanuel Clase replaces Bradley Hanner.
Garrett Hampson strikes out swinging.
Mike Brosseau flies out to second baseman Angel Martínez. 2 outs
Sandy León singles on a fly ball to left fielder Jhonkensy Noel.
Dairon Blanco singles on a line drive to left fielder Jhonkensy Noel. Sandy León to 2nd.
Tyler Tolbert strikes out swinging. 3 outs Mid 3, 4-3

<

Kyle Manzardo lines out sharply to right fielder Dairon Blanco. 1 out
Johnathan Rodriguez flies out deep to right fielder Dairon Blanco. Nearly missed on a pair of homers 2 outs
Angel Martínez (7-11, .636, AVG, 1.940 OPS) homers (2) on a line drive to right field. 4-4
Dom Nuñez homers (1) on a fly ball to right field. 4-5
WoW! Guard being very aggressive early in the count.
Daniel Schneemann grounds out, shortstop Tyler Tolbert to first baseman Vinnie Pasquantino. Nice play by the shortstop 3 outs end of 3, 4-5

<
-- Bob Feller

Pitching Change: Ben Lively replaces Emmanuel Clase.
Maikel Garcia walks.
Offensive Substitution: Pinch-runner Nate Eaton replaces Maikel Garcia.
Vinnie Pasquantino doubles (1) on a fly ball to left fielder Jhonkensy Noel. Nate Eaton scores. Vinnie Pasquantino to 3rd. 5-5
Nelson Velázquez grounds out, third baseman Daniel Schneemann to first baseman Kyle Manzardo. 1 out
Adam Frazier doubles (1) on a sharp line drive to right fielder Johnathan Rodriguez. Vinnie Pasquantino scores. 6-5
Garrett Hampson called out on strikes. 2 outs
Mike Brosseau flies out to left fielder Jhonkensy Noel. 3 outs
Miid 4 KC 6 Cle 5

<

Nate Eaton remains in the game as the third baseman.
Pitching Change: Will Smith replaces Walter Pennington.
Brayan Rocchio grounds out, shortstop Tyler Tolbert to first baseman Vinnie Pasquantino. 1 out
Tyler Freeman strikes out swinging. 2 outs
Estevan Florial strikes out swinging, catcher Sandy León to first baseman Vinnie Pasquantino. 3 outs
End of 4 KC 6 CLE 5

<
-- Bob Feller

Defensive Substitution: José Tena replaces shortstop Brayan Rocchio, batting 1st, playing shortstop.
Sandy León grounds out to first baseman Kyle Manzardo. 1 out
Dairon Blanco grounds out, third baseman Daniel Schneemann to first baseman Kyle Manzardo. 2 outs
Tyler Tolbert flies out to right fielder Johnathan Rodriguez. 3 outs
Mid 5 KC 6 CLE 5

<

Pitching Change: Dan Altavilla replaces Will Smith.
Jhonkensy Noel doubles (2) for the second time today on a line drive to left fielder Adam Frazier.
Offensive Substitution: Pinch-runner Lorenzo Cedrola replaces Jhonkensy Noel.
Kyle Manzardo doubles (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Garrett Hampson. Lorenzo Cedrola scores. 6-6
Johnathan Rodriguez singles on a line drive to right fielder Dairon Blanco. Kyle Manzardo to 3rd.
Angel Martínez out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Garrett Hampson. Kyle Manzardo scores. 1 out 6-7
Dom Nuñez walks. Johnathan Rodriguez to 2nd.
Daniel Schneemann homers (1) on a fly ball to right field. Johnathan Rodriguez scores. Dom Nuñez scores. 6-10
José Tena strikes out swinging. 2 outs
Tyler Freeman pops out to first baseman Vinnie Pasquantino. 3 outs
Guards being very aggressive, Bat around for the second time todayl
End of 5 KC 6 CLE 10

<
-- Bob Feller

Defensive Substitution: Connor Kokx replaces center fielder Tyler Freeman, batting 2nd, playing center field.
Lorenzo Cedrola remains in the game as the left fielder.
Defensive Substitution: Christian Cairo replaces third baseman Daniel Schneemann, batting 9th, playing third base.
Defensive Substitution: Raynel Delgado replaces second baseman Angel Martínez, batting 7th, playing second base.
Defensive Substitution: Micah Pries replaces right fielder Johnathan Rodriguez, batting 6th, playing right field.
Defensive Substitution: Joe Naranjo replaces first baseman Kyle Manzardo, batting 5th, playing first base.
Nate Eaton triples (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Connor Kokx.
Vinnie Pasquantino grounds out, second baseman Raynel Delgado to first baseman Joe Naranjo. Nate Eaton scores. 1 out 7-10
Nelson Velázquez called out on strikes. 2 outs
Pitching Change: Tyler Thornton replaces Ben Lively.
Adam Frazier flies out to left fielder Lorenzo Cedrola. 3 outs
Mid 6 KC 7 CLE 10

<

Defensive Substitution: Devin Mann replaces first baseman Vinnie Pasquantino, batting 2nd, playing first base.
Defensive Substitution: Diego Hernandez replaces left fielder Adam Frazier, batting 4th, playing left field.
Defensive Substitution: Luca Tresh replaces catcher Sandy León, batting 7th, playing catcher.
Defensive Substitution: John Rave replaces right fielder Dairon Blanco, batting 8th, playing right field.
Pitching Change: Sam Long replaces Dan Altavilla.
Estevan Florial grounds out, third baseman Nate Eaton to first baseman Devin Mann. 1 out
Lorenzo Cedrola strikes out swinging. 2 outs
Joe Naranjo strikes out swinging.
End of 6 KC 6 CLE 10

<
-- Bob Feller

Defensive Substitution: Michael Berglund replaces catcher Dom Nuñez, batting 8th, playing catcher.
Pitching Change: Eli Morgan replaces Tyler Thornton.
Garrett Hampson hits a ground-rule double (2) on a fly ball down the right-field line.
Injury Delay.
Offensive Substitution: Pinch-runner Leonel Valera replaces Garrett Hampson.
Defensive switch from center field to right field for Connor Kokx.
Defensive Substitution: Kahlil Watson replaces right fielder Micah Pries, batting 6th, playing center field.
Wild pitch by pitcher Eli Morgan. Leonel Valera to 3rd.
Mike Brosseau grounds out, third baseman Christian Cairo to first baseman Joe Naranjo. Leonel Valera scores. 1 out 8-10
Luca Tresh lines out to center fielder Kahlil Watson. 2 outs
John Rave lines out to right fielder Connor Kokx. 3 outs
Stretch Time in the desert
Mid 7 KC 8 CLE 10

<

Defensive switch from left field to center field for Diego Hernandez.
Leonel Valera remains in the game as the shortstop.
Defensive Substitution: Peyton Wilson replaces second baseman Mike Brosseau, batting 6th, playing second base.
Defensive Substitution: Joe Gray Jr. replaces shortstop Tyler Tolbert, batting 9th, playing left field.
Pitching Change: Will Klein replaces Sam Long.
Kahlil Watson walks.
Raynel Delgado grounds out, shortstop Leonel Valera to first baseman Devin Mann. Kahlil Watson to 2nd. 1 out
Michael Berglund strikes out swinging. 2 outs
Christian Cairo strikes out swinging, catcher Luca Tresh to first baseman Devin Mann. 3 outs
End of 7 KC 8 CLE 10

<
-- Bob Feller

Pitching Change: Nick Sandlin replaces Eli Morgan.
Peyton Wilson doubles (2) on a line drive to right fielder Connor Kokx.
Nate Eaton grounds out, third baseman Christian Cairo to first baseman Joe Naranjo. Peyton Wilson to 3rd. 1 out
Passed ball by catcher Michael Berglund. Peyton Wilson scores. 9-10
Devin Mann walks.
Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Tyler Cropley replaces Nelson Velázquez.
Tyler Cropley pops out to catcher Michael Berglund.
Diego Hernandez grounds out, second baseman Raynel Delgado to first baseman Joe Naranjo. 3 outs
Mid 8 KC 9 CLE 10

<

Tyler Cropley remains in the game as the designated hitter.
Pitching Change: Chandler Champlain replaces Will Klein.
José Tena grounds out, shortstop Leonel Valera to first baseman Devin Mann. 1 out
Connor Kokx grounds out, third baseman Nate Eaton to first baseman Devin Mann. 2 outs
Estevan Florial singles on a sharp line drive to right fielder John Rave.
Offensive Substitution: Pinch-runner Eric Rodriguez replaces Estevan Florial.
Lorenzo Cedrola homers (1) on a fly ball to left field. Eric Rodriguez scores. 9-12
Joe Naranjo walks.
Kahlil Watson flies out to center fielder Diego Hernandez. 3 outs
End of 8 KC 9 CLE 12

<
-- Bob Feller

Eric Rodriguez remains in the game as the designated hitter.
Pitching Change: Juan Zapata replaces Nick Sandlin.
Leonel Valera doubles (1) on a line drive to right fielder Connor Kokx.
Wild pitch by pitcher Juan Zapata. Leonel Valera to 3rd.
Joe Gray Jr. out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder Lorenzo Cedrola. Leonel Valera scores. 10-12
Luca Tresh singles on a line drive to right fielder Connor Kokx.
Cairo over runs the pop in foul territory. Ball drops. No play.
John Rave singles on a ground ball to right fielder Connor Kokx. Luca Tresh to 3rd.
Peyton Wilson grounds into a force out, second baseman Raynel Delgado to shortstop José Tena. Luca Tresh scores. John Rave out at 2nd. Peyton Wilson to 1st. 2 outs 11-12
Peyton Wilson steals (1) 2nd base.
Nate Eaton homers (2) on a fly ball to left center field. Peyton Wilson scores. 13-12
Pitching Change: Trenton Denholm replaces Juan Zapata.
Devin Mann singles on a line drive to center fielder Kahlil Watson.
Tyler Cropley pops out to shortstop José Tena. 3 outs
Mid of 9 KC 13 CLE 12

<

Pitching Change: Evan Sisk replaces Chandler Champlain.
Raynel Delgado flies out to shortstop Leonel Valera. 1 out
Michael Berglund strikes out swinging.
Christian Cairo singles on a line drive to right fielder John Rave.
José Tena grounds into a force out, fielded by shortstop Leonel Valera. Christian Cairo out at 2nd. 3 outs

Final KC 13 CLE 12

<
-- Bob Feller

Guardians infielder Angel Martinez singled, homered and drove in three runs Saturday against the Royals at Goodyear Ballpark.John Kuntz, cleveland.com

Guardians’ five homers go to waste as Kansas City rallies for 13-12 spring training win

Updated: Mar. 02, 2024, 6:44 p.m.|Published: Mar. 02, 2024, 6:33 p.m.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cactus League baseball can make you crazy. Especially when the wind is blowing out in the desert.

The Guardians flexed their home-run muscle on Saturday afternoon at Goodyear Ballpark. The team that finished last in the big leagues in home runs last year, hit five homers, but it wasn’t enough as Kansas City scored four times in the ninth inning for a 13-12 victory.

The Guardians had a 12-9 lead entering the ninth, but Nate Eaton’s two-run homer with two out off Juan Zapata brought the Royals all the way back. It was Kansas City’s only homer among its 16 hits.

Tyler Freeman, Angel Martinez, Dom Nunez, Daniel Schneemann and Lorenzo Cedrola went deep for Cleveland. They have hit 11 homers in eight spring-training games.

Shane Bieber, in his spring-training debut, pitched 1 2/3 innings. He allowed two runs on one hit. Bieber had control issues, walking three with no strikeouts.

Martinez, trying to make the club as an infielder, had a big day. He singled home a run in the first, homered in the third and delivered another run in the fifth with a sacrifice fly. (7-11, .636, AVG, 1.940 OPS)

The switch-hitting Martinez is hitting .636 (7 for 11) with two homers and five RBI this spring.

Freeman, starting in center field, gave Bieber a 1-0 lead with a homer in the first.

Martinez and Nunez hit consecutive homers with two out in the third for a 5-4 lead. Both homers came off starter Seth Lugo, who signed a three-year $45 million deal with the Royals in the offseason. Lugo allowed five runs on five hits in 2 1/3 innings.

Schneemann’s three-run homer capped a five-run fifth inning to give Cleveland a 10-6 lead.

The Royals got back into the game with single runs in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings. Peyton Wilson doubled, took third on a grounder and scored on a passed ball by catcher Michael Berglund to cut Cleveland lead to 10-9 in the eighth.

Cedrola, in camp on a minor league deal, pushed the Guardians lead to 12-9 with a two-run, two-out homer in the eighth.

In the ninth, Wilson ran his way out of a potentially game-ending double play to get Eaton to the plate.

The Guardians finished with 12 hits. Eight went for extra bases including two doubles by Jhonkensy Noel. They were Noel’s first hits of the spring after an 0 for 8 start.

Next:

The Guardians play split squad games on Sunday against the Cubs and Giants. Logan Allen will face the Kyle Kendricks of Cubs in Mesa at 3:05 p.m. Tanner Bibee will face Jordan Hicks ad Giants at Goodyear Ballpark at 3:05 p.m. WTAM will carry that game.

Hunter Gaddis, Scott Barlow, Sam Hentges and Anthony Banda are scheduled to follow Allen. Xzavion Curry, Tim Herrin, Anthony Gose, Adam Oller and Tanner Burns are scheduled to follow Bibee.

<
-- Bob Feller

Guardians: Shane Bieber's uptick in velocity reminiscent of Cy Young-ceiling

Shane Bieber turned heads with his pitching speed.

By Christopher Smith

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:48 PM CST

The Cleveland Guardians have high aspirations following their subpar 2023 showing. Starting pitcher Shane Bieber is moving quickly to help his club accomplish its goals. Bieber's uptick in throwing velocity during Spring Training has analysts taking note of his Cy-Young-like ceiling.

Shane Bieber looks great for the Guardians

Cleveland took on the Kansas City Royals in an intense Spring Training matchup. However, the Guardians likely were not expecting the heat Shane Bieber would bring to his pitches.

Bieber hit up to 94 mph during the first inning of Saturday afternoon's game, per Zack Meisel. His lightning-fast velocity bested his 91.3 average over the last two years. If Bieber can consistently provide this kind of effort, Cleveland's defense will be scary.

The 28-year-old is coming off a season of steady production. In 2023, Bieber achieved a W-L of 6-6 and threw 107 strikeouts in 21 games. In addition, he averaged 3.80 ERA to go with 1.23 WHIP. He looks to take his game to another level amid Cleveland's desire to improve their record.

The Guardians finished 2023 with a 76-86 record and sat third in the AL Central standings. Cleveland had some setbacks, but they will be ready to move up in 2024.Unfortunately, the club lost their Spring Training matchup against Kansas City 13-12. Cleveland had a chance to win, but the resilient Royals stormed back and took the victory.

As bad as things seemed for Cleveland in 2023, the Royals arguably had it worse. Kansas City went 56-106. Yet, the club is determined to make more noise in the AL Central.

All in all, it will be interesting to see how the Cleveland Guardians fare as the 2024 season takes off.

<
-- Bob Feller