Re: General Discussion

Got this off a Twins article - a team similar to Cleveland. Just goes to show that catcher bonehead signings are not unique to us. And this one dwarfs ours.

C Christian Vázquez (33): Handed the starting job after signing a three-year, $30 million deal last offseason, Vázquez struggled and fell behind Jeffers on the depth chart, remaining on the bench for all six playoff games. Vázquez will get the chance to bounce back in a prominent role because the Twins value catcher depth and he’s making $10 million, but Jeffers is now the unquestioned starter.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

If I were putting down money on the Central it would be on the Twins.

That said, I do consider Cleveland a contender for sure for the division - by far the worst division in baseball.

When does that new owner kick in again? Because the level of their spending now has reached absurd.

rusty - love your optimism!

And watching the pitching staff this year is going to be fascinating.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

As for Straw - obviously in retrospect that contract was a mistake. You can get stud fielders who can't hit for far less.

But that's history - I agree there can still be a role for him. Defensive replacement, pinch runner (especially in extra innings!) and starter vs. lefties at times. Overpaid for the role but there is a role there he can still occupy.

And if, by chance, he can put the ball in play enough to actually hit like he did when we first got him again then all the better.

Straw was given that contract before Kwan played his way on the team. Kwan is Straw with a little more pop...and I mean little.

Now Straw is a liability eating up dollars and playing time. Hope he has a good ST so they can dump him.

Kwan is still cheap and he's committed to upping his power production but I would have no problems trading him for a 20 HR left fielder.

6 and 7 million is peanuts in todays major league baseball. What is Laureano making ?

Yes, it is too bad they have that contract but do not make it out to be such a great amount. Guardians ate that much to get rid of Bell. What is Hedges making ? How about that star reliever Barlow ?