Re: SPRING TRAINING 2017!

Estevan Florial

News and Notes for Saturday, February 17, 2024

By Quincy Wheeler Feb 17, 2024, 7:02am EST

Paul Hoynes of Cleveland dot com and Zack Meisel of the Athletic offered some perspective from a press conference with Chris Antonetti, Guardians President of Baseball Operations, and manager Stephen Vogt at Spring Training.

Some takeaways:

-The team claims they wouldn’t have spent significantly in free agent even if a TV deal had been in place from the beginning. They are committed to seeing their young talent play, to help avoid the mistakes of past years where young talent was traded prematurely.

-It sounds as if Estevan Florial will get the primary shot to win the center field job.

-It sounds as if Deyvison De Los Santos will get some outfield reps.

Paul Hoynes wrote up an interview with Chase DeLauter, top outfield prospect in the Guardians’ system.

I found it interesting that the Guardians’ social media accounts are sharing media day photos of Carlos Carrasco, who is a non-roster invitee.

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Will Andres Gimenez Play Shortstop For The Guardians?

Stephen Vogt reveals the Cleveland Guardians have talked about Andres Gimenez playing shortstop.

TOMMY WILD FEB 16, 2024 12:00 PM EST

The Cleveland Guardians have some decisions to make during spring training. One of those is figuring out who will be the Opening Day starting shortstop. From Gabriel Arias, Brayan Rocchio, Tyler Freeman, and others, Cleveland has a lot of options.

However, there is another option which is a player who already signed a long-term extension and has established themselves as one of the best defensive players in baseball. Why not move Andres Gimenez back to his natural position?

Stephen Vogt revealed that this is something that isn't out of the question. In fact, he said at the start of spring training that it's something they've had conversations about.

"We've talked about it, we haven't completely ruled it out," admitted Vogt.

Even after revealing this intriguing information, he did elaborate that while yes, conversations have taken place, it's not something that they're looking to do immediately.

"You know, it's hard to move a Platinum Glove winner off of second base when he plays the position at such an elite level. There have been conversations, but as of right now the plan is for Andres to be at second base."

Based on Vogt's comments, it doesn't seem like Gimenez will be the Opening Day starter. However, his acknowledging that there have been conversations does seem to leave that door open down the line.

Perhaps when this position change could coincide with a Juan Brito call-up allowing the highly-rated infield prospect to take over at second base.

Wherever Gimenez is playing, he should be in for a big 2024 season for the Guardians.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Austin Hedges

Bo Naylor Says Learning From This Guardians Veteran Will Be ‘Huge’

BY TOMMY WILD SPORTS ILLUSTRATED CLEVELAND GUARDIANS NEWS,

ANALYSIS AND MORE UPDATED FEBRUARY 16, 2024 6:12 AM

"A special human being."

That's how Bo Naylor chose to describe Austin Hedges when asked about what his impact will be on himself and the rest of the Cleveland Guardians roster. Hedges has never been known for being the best or most talented player on the field. However, he's gained a strong reputation for his leadership and personality, especially during the Texas Rangers' World Series run last season. There's a lot for everyone to learn from Hedges, especially Naylor.

This isn't the first time that Bo and Hedges have been teammates. The two shared the dugout at the end of the 2022 season when Naylor was initially called up. Hedges was Cleveland's primary catcher at the time but now those roles are reversed.

Bo Naylor

Bo is ready to be the everyday catcher for the Guardians, but he's still going to soak in as much knowledge as he can from Hedgey.

"I’m very excited," said Naylor on the Cleveland Guardians Podcast. " In that little short span of time [end of 2022] I got to kind of sit back and see the work that he does to prepare for the game, to prepare for the staff to command game, and lead the team. I think having him along on this journey is amazing. I’m super happy he’s back and I think that he’s very excited as well this time."

Related content

Naylor admitted that get struggled on offense early in 2023 because he was so focused on "trying to take care of the things behind the scenes." Now that Hedges is here, he can help Bo learn how to prep and prepare so Naylor can be the best player he can both on offense and defense.

<
-- Bob Feller

GUARDIANS

Guardians’ Shane Bieber, Triston McKenzie get green light as spring training workouts begin

Updated: Feb. 15, 2024, 7:44 p.m.|Published: Feb. 15, 2024, 7:10 p.m.

By Paul Hoynes, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Chris Antonetti, Guardians’ director of baseball operations, said starters Shane Bieber and Triston McKenzie will have “no restrictions’ on them for spring training.

Guardians pitchers and catchers opened their first day of workouts Thursday at their training site in Goodyear, Arizona. Position players report Sunday with the first full squad workout scheduled for Tuesday.

Cleveland opens the exhibition season Saturday against the Reds at Goodyear Ballpark.

“They’re both coming in without restrictions,” Anonetti told reporters in Goodyear on Thursday when asked about Bieber and McKenzie.

Bieber and McKenzie missed big parts of last season with injuries. Bieber was limited to 21 starts because of inflammation in the right elbow. McKenzie was limited to four starts because of a strained teres major muscle in his right shoulder and a strained UCL in his right elbow.

Antonetti said, of the two, McKenzie will probably be brought a long a little slower.

“We’ll probably build Triston up a little bit more slowly than maybe some of the other starters, but they’re both coming in camp ready to go without restrictions,” said Antonetti.

Added manager Stephen Vogt, “They both looked great. They both worked really hard this winter to get themselves to this position to come in with no restrictions. We want to honor that by letting that progression take its course.”

Bieber visited the Driveline pitching facility in Seattle over the offseason. Driveline posted a video showing Bieber throwing over 93 mph. Last season, according to Statcast, he averaged 91.3 mph with his four-seam fastball.

Antonetti said the Guardians were aware of Bieber’s visit.

“We were closely connected,” he said. “I mean, Shane communicated to us that he was going to be heading out there. We connected with the Driveline people there, so we were connected on what that would be. And then we’ve had multiple conversations with Shane since he’s returned.”

Asked if Bieber, a free agent at the end of the season, went to Driveline with a specific goal, Antonetti said, “I don’t want to speak for Shane, it’s probably a better question for him. What he shared back with us is it’s always helpful just to be able to get another perspective, and kind of get assessed from a different group, and then think about how do they piece that information together with the resources that we have. Then come up with the best plan for him.”

If the season opened right now, Cleveland’s rotation, in no specific order, would probably be Bieber, McKenzie, Tanner Bibee, Logan Allen and Gavin Williams. Bibee, Allen and Williams made their big league debuts last year as the rotation was rocked by injuries.

They will also open camp with no restrictions, but with a word to the wise from the front office and coaching staff.

“We’re going to be mindful of their workloads,” said Vogt. “We’re not going to go pedal to the metal with them. Fortunately, we have Carl Willis (pitching coach), who has done this for a long time.”

Added Antonetti, “Our messaging to the young starters would be, ‘You’re not trying to make the team in day one. So don’t come out of your bullpens throwing 96 mph in live batting practice. Try to build your way into that. So we’re ready for opening day and ready to be healthy for the balance of the season.”

The Guardians did tell reporters that right-hander James Karinchak reported to camp with a “fatigued” right shoulder and will not throw for a few days. Karinchak went 2-5 with a 3.23 ERA in 44 appearances last season. He struck out 52 and walked 28 in 39 innings.

Karinchak bounced between Cleveland and Class AAA Columbus three times last year. He has one option left.

Vogt said the plan is to stretch out depth starters such as Carlos Carrasco, Hunter Gaddis, Xzavion Curry, Ben Lively and Joey Cantillo and see where they fit as camp progresses. Carrasco, who spent the first 11 years of his career with Cleveland, is in camp as a non-roster player after spending the last three seasons with the Mets.

“He looks a lot better in this uniform than he did in his last one,” said Vogt with a smile.

Vogt and Antonetti have held their one-on-one meetings with all pitchers and catchers in camp. Antonetti enjoyed the meeting with Carrasco.

“It was awesome. We were kind of almost in tears in the meeting, and hearing him even just reflect back on his journey, and talking about different people along his path that have impacted him, and how happy he is to be back,” said Antonetti. “We share that excitement, and we love Carlos. He’s here and he’s feeling pretty good.”

Antonetti added that when Carrasco pitched for Cleveland he was usually brought along at a slower pace in spring training. He said that would continue.

<
-- Bob Feller

Search for Guardians’ Holy Grail — outfielders — under way in Goodyear

Jeff Schudel

The News-Herald

PUBLISHED: February 17, 2024 at 1:48 p.m. | UPDATED: February 17, 2024 at 1:48 p.m.

The first full-squad workout of spring training for the Guardians is set for Feb. 20 in Goodyear Ariz. The forecast that day on weather.com calls for a high of 80 degrees with a one percent chance of rain.

No wonder enthusiasm is so high. No wonder first-time manager Stephen Vogt is eager to hear the crack of the ball meeting bat, ball meeting a catcher’s mitt and be the one in charge of getting the most out of the players management is giving him.

“I have to feel my way of how I go about doing this,” Vogt told reporters in Goodyear on Feb. 16. “Being new and being open to suggestions and ideas — I have a good picture of what I think that might look like, but that could change by the end of today, and I’m open to that.

“I don’t know what I don’t know. I always want to keep learning and getting better every day, so that’s the approach I’m taking.”

If he doesn’t know already, it shouldn’t take Vogt long to discover his outfielder is devoid of power. Last year’s trio of Steven Kwan (left field, five home runs, 158 games), Myles Straw (center field, one home run, 147 games) and Will Brennan (right field, five homers, 138 games) hit their combined 11 home runs in a total of 1,532 at-bats. That computes to one home run every 139 at-bats.

The outfield candidates in Goodyear in addition to Kwan, Straw and Brennan are George Valera and Johnathan Rodriguez, who last year were with Triple-A Columbus, Ramon Laureano, whom the Guardians claimed on waivers from the Oakland A’s last summer and Estevan Florial, whom the Guardians acquired via trade with the Yankees for right-handed pitcher Cody Morris. Florial, 26, hit 28 homers, drove in 78 runs and stole 25 bases while batting .284 in 101 games last season for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, the Yankees’ Triple-A farm team.

No other outside help appears to be on the way.

Earlier this month, Diamond Sports Group, which owns Bally Sports Ohio, reached an agreement to pay the Guardians about $55 million to televise Guardians games on Bally for 2024. Until a bankruptcy court approved the deal on Feb. 9, it was uncertain whether there would be a TV deal for the upcoming season.

So now that they have that money in their pocket, a reporter in Goodyear asked President of Baseball Operations Chris Antonetti, “Does this change anything in terms of payroll flexibility?”

The short answer is “No” because signing a veteran free agent would take away at-bats from young players.

“If we sign someone and give that person 500 or 550 plate appearances, that’s 500 or 550 plate appearances we can’t give to other players,” Antonetti said. “We feel our Major League team and our development system is at a point where some of those guys should be provided opportunities.”

Antonetti’s explanation echoes what Guardians owner Paul Dolan said last month at Guards Fest.

“A lot of our improvement is going to come internally and organically,” Dolan said. “We have a lot of young guys, we have to see what they can do. They’re about ready to break through.”

The Guardians traded Nolan Jones to the Rockies in November 2022 for infield prospect Juan Brito. Jones, now 25, hit 20 home runs in 115 games with Colorado in 2023 — nine more than the Guardians regular starting outfield combined — in 367 at-bats. He played a variety of positions, but mainly left field and right field

Antonetti is happy to have Brito in the farm system, but at the end of last season he admitted the organization might have given up on Jones too quickly.

“I think one of the things we always need to continue to do is learn organizationally from both our successes and things that may not have played out the way we hoped,” Antonetti said last October in a season wrap-up meeting with reporters. “They’re all individual circumstances. Some decisions we made about managing the roster was ‘how do we create playing time?’”

Those same words explain why the Guardians were quiet in the offseason with no apparent plans to change course with spring training under way.

Cody Bellinger, a center fielder who hit .307, homered 26 times and dove in 97 runs with the Cubs last season, remains unsigned. Bellinger made $17.5 million in 2023 on a one-year deal. It is surprising no team has signed him.

The total salary for the Guardians’ current 40-man roster is $84,433,928, according to spotrac.com. That ranks 27th among the 30 MLB teams ahead of only the Marlins, Pirates and A’s.

I didn’t know that

… until I read my Snapple bottle cap.

An octopus has three hearts, a brain in each of its eight arms, plus a centralized brain that wraps around its esophagus in the shape of a donut. …

The word “utopia” — an ideal place — originates from a Greek word meaning “no place.”…

Antarctica is the only continent with no snakes and no reptiles. …

Cotton can catch fire if enough super glue is applied. …

An average raindrop falls at the speed of 14 mph and takes about two minutes to hit the ground. …

A person cannot taste food until it mixes with saliva.

<
-- Bob Feller

CLEVELAND GUARDIANS

Shane Bieber went searching for some power at Driveline; here's what he found

Ryan Lewis

Akron Beacon Journal

Feb 17, 2024

GOODYEAR, Ariz. — Shane Bieber knew there was some horsepower in there somewhere, resting unutilized. So he went searching for it this winter.

Bieber, now 28 years old, is coming off a disappointing 2023 season in multiple respects. He finished the year with a 3.80 ERA — the highest since he was a rookie in 2018 — and again had a season interrupted by injury.

It was the second time in three seasons Bieber was sidelined for a significant amount of time. Wrapped around a superb 2022 in which he struck out 198 batters and posted a 2.88 ERA in 200 innings, Bieber threw only 96⅔ innings in 2021 and then 128 innings a year ago.

Day 1:What Stephen Vogt did in his first days of Cleveland Guardians spring training

He needed some new perspectives. He was looking for some new data to try to unearth anything that might be of aid. So he went to Driveline, a data-driven baseball performance and training organization, at its Scottsdale, Arizona, location, only about a 15-minute drive from his home. The location where Bieber works out is also only a few minutes away, so the loop between his house, Driveline and the trainers became his normal offseason routine.

"Probably just vulnerability to change, ability to change, commitment to change and search for something new," Bieber said when asked about the search for new perspectives. "I think the most basic thought process for me at the end of the year was like, 'OK, I feel strong. I feel that there's more in there and I'm losing power somewhere.'"

Shane Bieber utilizes Driveline data in preparation for Opening Day 2024

Driveline specializes in data and motion-capture video — which leads to more data. Bieber said he didn't end up making as many changes as he thought he might when it began, but that he "felt like I grew a lot."

Of course, the velocity storyline has hovered over Bieber's head since the 2021 season, just a year removed from winning the American League Cy Young award. In 2020, Bieber's fastball velocity averaged 94.1 mph. That dropped to 92.8 mph in 2021 and has sat at 91.3 mph the last two years.

Through that time, Bieber has adjusted, tinkered with and transformed his pitch selection and sequencing, throwing his fastball less and instead leaning on his breaking ball and off-speed pitches more. He had hit a wall of sorts, and instead of ramming through it, he at times figured out a way to go around, under or over it.

But 2023 was his worst non-rookie season in the majors. Spending time at Driveline wasn't only about velocity, it was about pitch design. Bieber often doesn't divulge too much each spring, but he noted he refined his grips, specifically with the curveball, in an effort to have it break more vertically.

"Over time, it had gotten a little more horizontal," Bieber said. "All it was, was a grip change, so happy to hear that. That was really great news to hear and an easy adjustment. So we were able to do that relatively quickly."

Guardians don't trade Shane Bieber — for now, at least — heading into 2024 season

In some ways, it's almost a surprise to see Bieber in Guardians spring camp at all. He has been the center of trade rumors for quite some time now. In fact, it's possible the elbow injury he suffered shortly before the trade deadline last July is the only thing that kept him from joining a new team.

Bieber is eligible to be a free agent after the 2024 season. Unless he and the Guardians reach a contract extension — which would more likely than not need to happen before Opening Day — he could yet again be a leading trade candidate simply due to how the Guardians must operate.

He said in the past it hasn't always been easy to ignore the trade rumors swirling around him. But, this winter, it was easier.

"A lot of that has to do with the routine that I jumped all the way into, and that was every single day," Bieber said. "And so, like I said, I feel in love with that routine and didn't really focus on much else.

"We moved into a new house, so when I'd finished my work for the day, I had more work at home and enjoyed doing that with my wife. And so we fell into a great routine, her and I both individually and as a team and that made all the outside noise [easier to deal with]."

Guardians president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti said the team was "closely connected" with Bieber and Driveline throughout the process. No team in baseball over the last several years has a better reputation for developing pitchers than the Guardians. But it was time for Bieber to add this approach into the mix.

"What [Bieber] shared with us is it's always helpful just to be able to get another perspective and kind of get assessed from a different group and then think about, how does he piece that information together with the resources that we have to come up with the best plan for him," Antonetti said.

Led by Shane Bieber, Guardians should have youngest starting rotation in the majors in 2024

Bieber said he feels like a young 28 years old. But he's also the clear, established veteran and leader of a youthful starting rotation that also features Triston McKenzie, Tanner Bibee, Gavin Williams and Logan Allen. The other four are all between 24 and 26 years old.

While hoping to find some extra power with his mechanics and grips, and while again trying to ignore trade rumors, Bieber is tasked with leading the young rotation in 2024 as the Guardians hope to return to the playoffs for the first time since their run in 2022.

His hope, and the Guardians' hope, is the data acquired from Driveline might be the key to unlocking a better 2024.

"It's a privilege," Bieber said, speaking to his role as the rotation's veteran. "It's a privilege to be able to be in this league and go through different phases. … I think it's a good thing to feel fresh."

<
-- Bob Feller

3 Guardians bold predictions as MLB spring training gets underway

Here are three bold predictions for Jose Ramirez and the Cleveland Guardians ahead of the 2024 MLB season.

By Joey Mistretta

Feb 15, 2024 at 5:59 PM CST5 min read

The Cleveland Guardians are hoping to rebound in 2024 after missing the 2023 playoffs. Cleveland had stunned the American League Central and made the postseason despite featuring MLB's youngest roster in 2022, but the ball club took a step in the wrong direction this past season

Cleveland had a relatively quiet offseason. They made a few moves, but the Guardians' primary headlines this offseason swirled around Shane Bieber and Emmanuel Clase trade rumors. Both pitchers are currently on the roster with spring training drawing near, though.

So what should Guardians fans expect in 2024? Believe it or not, this team actually could be exciting. They feature a number of young players with high-ceilings, and Cleveland plays in a very winnable American League Central division. Without further ado, here are three Guardians bold predictions for the new season as 2024 spring training is set to get underway.

Triston McKenzie, Steven Kwan make All-Star team

Jose Ramirez is the Guardians best player and he will probably make the All-Star team again. Ace Shane Bieber and closer Emmanuel Clase should also receive All-Star consideration. Cleveland could also have two first-time All-Stars in Triston McKenzie and Steven Kwan in 2024.

Many people around the MLB world expected McKenzie to break out in 2023. He ended up dealing with injuries and appeared in just four games. In 2022, though, McKenzie pitched to a stellar 2.96 ERA and 0.951 WHIP across 31 appearances (30 starts). McKenzie also struck out 190 hitters that season.

At just 26 years old, there's reason to believe that McKenzie will take another step forward during the '24 campaign if he can stay healthy.

Kwan, who is also 26, isn't the kind of player who is going to produce jaw-dropping numbers. In an era where most hitters either hit a home run or strikeout in most at-bats, Kwan relies on his impressive contact ability and reliable eye at the plate.

Kwan has already won two Gold Gloves. He's a terrific defensive outfielder. After slashing .298/.373/.400/.772 in 2022, his rookie season, Kwan's offensive numbers declined this past year. The Cleveland outfielder slashed .268/.340/.370/.710 in 2023.

He isn't going to produce much power. In fact, Kwan has just 11 home runs through his first two big leagues seasons. However, he smashed 36 doubles this past season.

If Steven Kwan continues to play elite defense and can hit around .300 with a high OBP and a lot of doubles, he will be in the All-Star conversation.

Josh Naylor hits 30-plus home runs

Josh Naylor looks like he swings for the fences every time he steps to the plate. He's no stranger to taking massive hacks at the dish, and when he connects the ball goes a long way.

Naylor, the Guardians first baseman and DH, has been limited by injuries over the past few years. In fact, his career-high in games played is just 122.

Naylor's career-high in home runs is also 20. So there's reason to believe that he can hit 30 or more long balls if he manages to stay healthy and play 145 games or more.

He was reliable in 2023 despite finishing with just 17 homers over 121 games. Naylor slashed a rather impressive .308/.354/.489/.842, so it is clear he's still improving as a hitter at the MLB level.

The 26-year-old (is there anyone who isn't 26 on the Guardians?) will be a player to watch without question in 2024.

Guardians make the playoffs, Stephen Vogt earns AL Manager of the Year consideration

Can the Guardians, whose top free agent acquisition this offseason was backup catcher Austin Hedges, actually make a playoff run?

For Cleveland, it all starts with pitching. They somehow always seem to discover and develop pitchers, whether it's through trades or the draft.

Shane Bieber and Triston McKenzie will lead the starting rotation in 2024. Tanner Bibee earned AL Rookie of the Year consideration in 2024, while Logan Allen and Gavin Williams both feature no shortage of potential. Cleveland is going to rely on young pitching which can be risky, but there's no denying the rotation's upside.

The bullpen is talented. Clase is one of the best closers in the sport, and James Karinchak, although inconsistent, is a fiery reliever with dominant stuff.

Trevor Stephan, Sam Hentges, and Eli Morgan are among the Guardians' other quality relievers.

The Guards' lineup is where the uncertainty comes to fruition. Will this offense have enough talent around Jose Ramirez to contend for a playoff berth?

If Josh Naylor and Steven Kwan live up to our bold predictions, then Cleveland's lineup will be in a respectable spot. Andres Gimenez was a 2022 All-Star and although he took a step in the wrong direction this past season, Gimenez may rebound during the '24 campaign.

Cleveland has a plethora of young shortstops to choose from, and bringing in veteran Ramon Laureano adds an experienced player to the lineup. The Guardians lineup could certainly use some help, but it may surprise some people around the MLB world.

And if the Guardians make the playoffs, Terry Francona replacement Stephen Vogt will be destined to earn AL Manager of the Year consideration. Trying to replace a legendary manager like Francona is not going to be easy, but Vogt is ready for the challenge.

<
-- Bob Feller

Back with Cleveland, Carrasco fights for roster spot

Feb 17, 2024 28 minutes ago

Mandy Bell

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Conversations between Carlos Carrasco and the Guardians began in December. Once they started, there was no chance they would end.

A reunion made sense for both parties. The Guardians want more starting pitchers who can provide depth behind their five-man rotation just in case an injury occurs. It’s even better if those arms have already worked as relievers, should Cleveland use them out of the ‘pen in the meantime. Carrasco can fulfill both roles, has tremendous experience to bring to a young roster and, most importantly, he loves Cleveland.

“It was really simple,” Carrasco said of the decision. “I just want to come back here. I spent 11 years here. It was really smooth. I’m glad that I’m here.”

Cleveland traded for Carrasco in 2009 before he made his Major League debut. He spent his entire big league career with the organization until he and Francisco Lindor were shipped to the Mets prior to the 2021 season. Not only was joining a new organization at 34 years old an adjustment for himself, but the move was devastating for a fan base that spent the previous decade falling in love with him.

He was the guy who could be identified by a popular Bryan Adams song. He was the guy who constantly made an impact in the community. He was the guy who was lifted by fans during his time away from baseball in 2019 to treat the leukemia he was diagnosed with in May.

For fans, their ties to Carrasco run much deeper than baseball. The bond between Carrasco and the city showed when the Guardians announced he’d been signed to a Minor League deal with an invitation to Spring Training at the beginning of the month.

“[I’ve heard] from everyone,” Carrasco said. “The Clinic that I went to in Cleveland, restaurants, friends, everyone. … They’re pretty happy that I’m here.”

You only need about five seconds with Carrasco to realize that feeling is mutual.

Carrasco battled a handful of injuries in his three years with the Mets, and last year, he made 20 starts and owned a 6.80 ERA with 66 strikeouts and 38 walks in 90 frames. His metrics were down compared to his prime, but he knew there was more in the tank. He decided to join Shane Bieber at Driveline in Scottsdale, Ariz., after working with the data-driven organization through the 2023 season from afar. Following his in-person visit, he’s noticed some changes in his results.

“My slider is way better than it used to be. Two-seamer is really good,” Carrasco said. “I surprised myself [on Thursday] throwing in the bullpen 90, 91, 92 [mph]. … Last year I spent all year throwing my bullpen from 86 to 88 [mph].

“I feel like I could get 93, 94, 95 [mph], I don’t know. It feels good.”

With even more confidence in where his arsenal stands, Carrasco now turns his focus to winning a spot on the Opening Day roster. Assuming no injuries occur over the next six weeks, the Guardians’ rotation is set with Bieber, Triston McKenzie, Gavin Williams, Tanner Bibee and Logan Allen. Can Carrasco prove he should be carried in the bullpen as a long reliever? Will he eventually make his way onto the Major League roster when a starter is needed? These are the decisions the coaching staff will have to weigh.

“There’s some versatility there,” Guardians pitching coach Carl Willis said, “but first and foremost, we have to just make sure we stay healthy, keep him healthy, go out and do what he can do and make decisions as we go. Hopefully they’re tough decisions.”

The 22-year-old righty who debuted with Cleveland in 2009 is suddenly on the verge of turning 37 in March. At his age, it’s hard to predict how many more seasons his arm will be able to hold up before retirement becomes the most logical option. If he’s nearing the end, there’s no better place for him to be than Cleveland.

“I feel like, and I told him, this is home for him,” Willis said. “Him coming back at this stage of his career, I think we all feel that Cleveland is the best place for him to get everything out of himself he can get and be comfortable doing it. So, we’re excited about it.”

<
-- Bob Feller

Will Brennan Highlights The Impact Of Stephen Vogt

By Andres Chavez February 17, 2024

He hasn’t managed a single MLB game yet.

However, we already know that Cleveland Guardians manager Stephen Vogt is the definition of a players’ manager.

He has said that himself, and that only helps him do his job.

Being “a players’ manager” means prioritizing their well-being, both as a group and individually, and understanding everything they might be feeling.

In that way, Vogt has a leg up on the competition, because he has experienced every situation there is to experience as a player.

Let’s remember that his playing days ended very recently, in 2022, and he knows what the modern player wants, needs, and can offer.

One of his players, outfielder Will Brennan, was asked to describe what working with Vogt has been like so far.

He had nothing but good things to say.

“It’s been fantastic. He has a way about him of teaching the game, and obviously he is fresh out of playing. He’s worn several hats in his career, he’s been an All-Star, he’s been the last person on a 26-man roster, he’s been optioned, he’s been released. He’s done everything,” Brennan said, per Ultimate Cleveland Sports Show.

Vogt has mastered the unofficial science of being in an MLB clubhouse and communicating with players.

He earned a great reputation throughout his career as a player and a coach, and everybody loved him wherever he went.

It’s because he knows how to talk to people, and he is using those skills with the Guardians.

Not just talking, but really understanding where everyone comes from and what they can bring to the table.

2024 will represent a huge test for Vogt’s career.

We don’t know if he will fail or succeed, but one thing is clear: his players want to win for him.

Brennan Interview

https://twitter.com/i/status/1758592334252630364

<
-- Bob Feller

Guardians Make Sure To Show Off A Rising Star

By Andres Chavez February 16, 2024

The Cleveland Guardians are currently lacking offensive punch in their lineup.

They were dead last in home runs last year and could have definitely used a top hitter heading into the 2024 campaign.

But the outlook is not as bleak as it might seem sometimes.

The team does have Jose Ramirez and Josh Naylor, and some prospects who could be sources of power in the not-so-distant future: Chase DeLauter, Johnathan Rodriguez, Estevan Florial, and more.

There is, of course, another Naylor: Bo.

Bo, Josh’s little brother, is no longer a prospect or a “potential” source of power: he is very much a reality, and is expected to get the majority of starts at catcher.

The city of Cleveland hasn’t been this excited about a catcher since Carlos Santana played the position in the early 2010s.

Naylor has some work to do defensively, and that’s in part why the organization brought back experienced backstop Austin Hedges.

Offensively?

Naylor is already a rock-solid player and has potential for more.

The team recently showed fans what they wanted to see: spring training Bo Naylor content.

They posted a few pictures of the skilled youngster using his catching equipment, doing agility drills, and of course, doing what he does best: hitting.

In 67 games this past season, Naylor hit .237/.339/.470 with a .809 OPS, 11 home runs, and 32 RBI.

For a catcher, those numbers are more than good: they are amazing.

He had hit 13 home runs in Triple-A, so Naylor had a solid 24 for the year.

He could be a dark-horse candidate to hit 30 long balls for Cleveland this year, and that would be a godsend.

<
-- Bob Feller

Stephen Vogt Comments On The Guardians’ ‘Ceiling

By Andres Chavez February 16, 2024

The Cleveland Guardians went 92-70 in 2022 and 76-86 in 2023.

Nobody really knows this team’s ceiling, floor, and expected performance heading into 2024.

The rest of the AL Central has improved considerably, most notably the Kansas City Royals, and while it seems Cleveland has had a mediocre offseason, people often fail to remember that they have a healthy contingent of promising young players, and those tend to improve with time and experience.

Kyle Manzardo, Johnathan Rodriguez, Brayan Rocchio, Bo Naylor, Gabriel Arias, Deyvison De Los Santos, Tanner Bibee, Gavin Williams, Juan Brito, Tyler Freeman, Chase DeLauter, George Valera, and many others are under 25 and in or close to the majors.

Who is to say a few players of that group won’t break out and increase the Guards’ ceiling?

Speaking of ceiling, their manager Stephen Vogt discussed it.

Hint: he doesn’t think a ceiling exists for this team.

“#Guardians Stephen Vogt on @afternoon923FAN: ‘I don’t think there is a ceiling. You’re talking about a core that’s really young. Guys are crushing baseballs in BP. Our players are hungry. They look good, we feel really good about where our offense has the chance to go this year,'” 92.3 The Fan tweeted, using Vogt’s remarks.

The Guardians might still need a power hitter or two to navigate the season, but the “tomorrow” is looking very, very good.

Perhaps some of those players break through and help turn “tomorrow” into “today”.

That is certainly a plausible scenario.

The Guards might not enter the season as AL Central favorites, but to say they aren’t dangerous would be underestimating them.

<
-- Bob Feller

Guardians plan to find out about internal options this season

By James Mastrucci | 10:00 AM EST

This is a bit of bad news for anyone still hoping the Cleveland Guardians to make an unexpected run at a still-unsigned free agent, but this is not an unexpected development.

The plan for the Guardians is to learn as much as they can about the plethora of internal options this season rather than make a run at someone who plays the same position. That was the main takeaway from president of baseball operations, Chris Antonetti, when speaking to the media in Arizona. While a significant portion of this plan appears somewhat rooted in the unknown status of their television rights deal for the majority of this winter, Antonetti is stating now that the organization prefers to give their own guys chances instead of them being blocked again with little to show for it, if anything.
"“There are the resources to go and get players and bring them into the organization, but if we sign someone and commit 500 to 550 plate appearances, we can’t give that to one of our younger players.”"

- Chris Antonetti
On one hand, this confirms the chorus of Dolans Cheap that has reverberated for quite some time. But on the other hand, he has a point. There are a handful of players who have been making their way through the minor league system and are ready to put their skills on display at the major league level. Continuing to sign players in their price range that will make a small impact in the short-term and none in the long-term, while potential answers to their problems rot in the minors, is bad business.

There is another factor at play here. How many names have fans complained about that have left Cleveland one way or the other, finding various levels of success with different organizations? The last thing anyone wants is to have another name added to a list that includes Yandy Diaz, Gio Urshela, and Jesus Aguilar, to name a few. Should any of their current young players develop into everyday players, it will make extending key players on the roster currently and signing complementary free agents to supplement the roster significantly easier.

This is simply how a team like the Guardians has to operate, develop, extend early (if possible), and bring in an external option or two to round out the roster at an appropriate time. Obviously, last season was not that time, as Josh Bell and Mike Zunino were massive flops during their time in Cleveland. Ideally, the Guardians can get it right the next time around, which should hopefully be after the upcoming season and before 2025.

<
-- Bob Feller

Guardians Fan Shares Intriguing Opening Day Idea

By Andres Chavez February 18, 2024

Cleveland Guardians great Corey Kluber announced his retirement from baseball a few days ago.

The game will miss an extraordinarily talented pitcher and a gentleman both on and off the field.

Even though the Texas Rangers made Kluber the centerpiece of a trade, he threw a no-hitter with the New York Yankees, and played out his last two seasons with the Tampa Bay Rays and the Boston Red Sox, everybody knows and agrees that his best years came in a Cleveland uniform.

He made his MLB debut in 2011, but it was in 2013, as a 27-year-old, when he had his first good season.

What would come after that would be a furious five-year run in which Kluber posted a 2.85 ERA, won two Cy Youngs in the American League, and made one World Series.

He was arguably the best and most consistent starter in the American League for five years.

A Guardians fan wants to say goodbye to Kluber the way he deserves: with a packed Progressive Field cheering for him.

They had a wonderful idea.

“Let me be the first to suggest Corey Kluber throw out the ceremonial first pitch at our 2024 home opener. Let’s do this @CleGuardians,” Guardians of The Land tweeted.

<
-- Bob Feller

Back with Cleveland, Carrasco fights for roster spot

February 18, 2024

12:08 AM UTC

Mandy Bell

GOODYEAR, Ariz. — Conversations between Carlos Carrasco and the Guardians began in December. Once they started, there was no chance they would end.

A reunion made sense for both parties. The Guardians want more starting pitchers who can provide depth behind their five-man rotation just in case an injury occurs. It’s even better if those arms have already worked as relievers, should Cleveland use them out of the ‘pen in the meantime. Carrasco can fulfill both roles, has tremendous experience to bring to a young roster and, most importantly, he loves Cleveland.

“It was really simple,” Carrasco said of the decision. “I just want to come back here. I spent 11 years here. It was really smooth. I’m glad that I’m here.”

Cleveland traded for Carrasco in 2009 before he made his Major League debut. He spent his entire big league career with the organization until he and Francisco Lindor were shipped to the Mets prior to the 2021 season. Not only was joining a new organization at 34 years old an adjustment for himself, but the move was devastating for a fan base that spent the previous decade falling in love with him.

He was the guy who could be identified by a popular Bryan Adams song. He was the guy who constantly made an impact in the community. He was the guy who was lifted by fans during his time away from baseball in 2019 to treat the leukemia he was diagnosed with in May.

For fans, their ties to Carrasco run much deeper than baseball. The bond between Carrasco and the city showed when the Guardians announced he’d been signed to a Minor League deal with an invitation to Spring Training at the beginning of the month.

“[I’ve heard] from everyone,” Carrasco said. “The Clinic that I went to in Cleveland, restaurants, friends, everyone. … They’re pretty happy that I’m here.”

You only need about five seconds with Carrasco to realize that feeling is mutual.

Carrasco battled a handful of injuries in his three years with the Mets, and last year, he made 20 starts and owned a 6.80 ERA with 66 strikeouts and 38 walks in 90 frames. His metrics were down compared to his prime, but he knew there was more in the tank. He decided to join Shane Bieber at Driveline in Scottsdale, Ariz., after working with the data-driven organization through the 2023 season from afar. Following his in-person visit, he’s noticed some changes in his results.

“My slider is way better than it used to be. Two-seamer is really good,” Carrasco said. “I surprised myself [on Thursday] throwing in the bullpen 90, 91, 92 [mph]. … Last year I spent all year throwing my bullpen from 86 to 88 [mph].

“I feel like I could get 93, 94, 95 [mph], I don’t know. It feels good.”

With even more confidence in where his arsenal stands, Carrasco now turns his focus to winning a spot on the Opening Day roster. Assuming no injuries occur over the next six weeks, the Guardians’ rotation is set with Bieber, Triston McKenzie, Gavin Williams, Tanner Bibee and Logan Allen. Can Carrasco prove he should be carried in the bullpen as a long reliever? Will he eventually make his way onto the Major League roster when a starter is needed? These are the decisions the coaching staff will have to weigh.

“There’s some versatility there,” Guardians pitching coach Carl Willis said, “but first and foremost, we have to just make sure we stay healthy, keep him healthy, go out and do what he can do and make decisions as we go. Hopefully they’re tough decisions.”

The 22-year-old righty who debuted with Cleveland in 2009 is suddenly on the verge of turning 37 in March. At his age, it’s hard to predict how many more seasons his arm will be able to hold up before retirement becomes the most logical option. If he’s nearing the end, there’s no better place for him to be than Cleveland.

“I feel like, and I told him, this is home for him,” Willis said. “Him coming back at this stage of his career, I think we all feel that Cleveland is the best place for him to get everything out of himself he can get and be comfortable doing it. So, we’re excited about it.”

<
-- Bob Feller