Re: General Discussion

Except for a few bright spots, this has been an underwhelming season to date.

The good news.....we only trail the Twins by 2 1/2 games. Doesn't sound like much, does it? If we are going to reduce that deficit, it best be prior to the All-Star break.

I have a personal rule of thumb. How many games behind are you at that point in the season?

I'm excluding wild cards. I have to assume that you have to take care of your own business in the division before worrying about wild cards. You win the division, you punch in your ticket to the playoffs.

My magic number is 5 games behind at the all-star break. I figure it takes weeks to make up 5 games.

To point, we trailed the Twins by 3 1/2 games by the end of April, 3 1/2 games by the end of May, and 2 1/2 games by the mid point in June. In other words, we picked up one game in 2 1/2 months.

This is not the miracle team it was in 2022.

This is a different team. All the high expectations have dimmed. Bieber, Clase, and Naylor have performed as well as expected. Bell, Ramirez, Zunino, Gonzalez, Gimenez have not.

The new rule changes were supposed to be a game changer. They were expected to give the team an upper hand but we are failing to take advantage.

The changes were expected to make an MVP out or Ramirez. The larger bases were expected to improve stolen base efficiency.

We still have 4 1/2 months in the season to see what this team is really made of.

As the saying goes, this is a marathon, not a race.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Guardians pitcher clears waivers, accepts outright assignment to Triple-A

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Zach Plesac cleared waivers and has accepted an outright assignment to Triple-A Columbus, the Guardians announced Sunday.

Plesac was designated for assignment on June 4 to make room on Cleveland’s 40-man roster for the return of Triston McKenzie from the injured list. The Guardians had seven days to trade, release or expose the right-hander to waivers.

After opening the season in the Guardians’ rotation, Plesac was optioned to Columbus on May 4 after going 1-1 with a 7.59 ERA in five starts. Last season he went 3-12 with a 4.31 ERA in 25 games, including 24 starts.

Was watching MLB Network and Pedro Martinez was commenting on Bieber.

He said that he thinks all the wear and tear over the seasons, including postseasons, has taken a toll. But he thinks he will be fine if the team
watches him closely and doesn't overuse him.

He called him a battler and professional starting pitcher who knows how to pitch.

The days of high strikeout Bieber are gone but so what? Pitching to contact can save his arm.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain