Re: General Discussion

Chris Antonetti is the president of the Cleveland Guardians. His first job was at the family car wash.

Guardians

Guardians fans: Meet the side of team president Chris Antonetti very few know

By Terry Pluto

Updated: Mar. 25, 2023, 12:08 p.m.

GOODYEAR, Ariz. –

It was an Arizona morning when I met with Guardians president Chris Antonetti in his spring training office.

That’s when the subject of working at the car wash came up, almost out of nowhere.

Antonetti has overseen the team’s baseball operations since 2011.

When it comes to personal matters, Antonetti is very private. His humility is sincere, along with his commitment to make sure all his key people such as GM Mike Chernoff, manager Terry Francona and many others played key roles in the team’s success.

When something does go wrong, Antonetti steps up and faces the media. He takes the hits, even if it’s not his fault. Former Cleveland GM Mark Shapiro was the same way. It’s the right way to lead.

Antonetti brushes off being MLB’s 2022 Executive of the Year. Like Francona – who won the American League Manager of the Year award – Antonetti calls it “an organizational award.” His point is no one person deserves credit for the Guardians surprising rise to win the Central Division with a 92-70 record.

Over and over, the top people with the Guardians talk about “collaboration” and “working together.” It’s not just words. They have been together for a long time. Francona is in his 11th season as manager. Chernoff is in his 19th season with the team.

Antonetti has been with the Guardians for 25 years.

Chris Antonetti was the MLB Executive of the Year for 2022. Terry Francona was the American League Manager of the Year.

WORKING AT THE CAR WASH

That led to the car wash stories.

In public, Antonetti always seems poised and analytical. Some of it probably comes from his father, Mario, who is an engineer. You think deeply about things. You plan. You don’t panic when faced with troubles. You work on the problem.

“I grew up in a family of four boys,” said Antonetti. “Sports and competition is a part of who I am. We believe competition brings out the best in people. The meaning of competition is striving together.”

The Antonetti family lived in Orange, Connecticut, a suburb of New Haven. Working together is in their DNA.

“My father commuted 40 miles to New York for work each day,” said Antonetti. “He’d get up at 4 a.m. and drive to work. Then he’d come back to be at our baseball games and soccer games.”

The family also owned two car washes. It goes back to Antonetti’s grandfather, who was in the car wash business after coming to America from Italy.

“My father managed the car wash on weekends,” he said. “It was a part of our lives. I started doing things at the car wash when I was about 7 – folding towels, putting them in the machines. At some point, I worked the line to put cars through. I collected the money.”

The family influence seems to flow through every drop of blood in Antonetti’s veins.

“My mom has the unique ability to make everyone in her life feel special,” he said. “She supported each of us as individuals. She now has 10 grandchildren and makes them feel like the only grand child she has. She treats everyone that way. She brings out the best in people.”

Guardians GM Mike Chernoff and team president Chris Antonetti have kept Cleveland a consistent contender for the last 10 years.

WHAT REALLY MATTERS

All the Antonetti boys were headed for college.

Two of them became medical doctors. Marc is a surgeon in South Carolina. David is a primary care physician in Connecticut. The youngest brother is Michael.

“Michael is the smartest of all of us,” said Antonetti. “He has a law degree and other graduate degrees. His wife is now working and he’s taking care of the three kids. He’s brilliant. All my brothers are incredible people, I draw a lot from them.”

But the Antonetti family valued work, be it at the car wash or something that required a graduate degree. Their mother is Ann Antonetti, who technically stayed home with the boys. That was job enough when they were growing up. But she also helped manage the two car washes.

“My parents prioritized family and work,” he said. “I learned so much from them about what is really important.”

Georgetown basketball coach John Thompson had a big impact on Chris Antonetti. While a student at Georgetown, Antonetti was a manager for the basketball team.

PICKING UP TOWELS

All of the Antonetti boys went to Georgetown. By the time Antonetti arrived, he knew he loved sports but wasn’t an elite athlete. He was a varsity tennis player in high school. His favorite sports were basketball and baseball.

As a junior, he became a manager for the Georgetown basketball team during the John Thompson/Allen Iverson Era.

He helped clean up the locker room. He packed bags when the team traveled. He rebounded during practice drills for the players. He kept stats. Anything the coaches wanted, he did.

It was like working at the car wash. No job is too small. It’s being part of the team.

“Coach Thompson had priorities beyond basketball,” said Antonetti. “For him, basketball was an avenue to talk about life and the choices we make – how those choices impact our lives. He spent far more time on that than basketball.”

Antonetti reveres Thompson. He treasures his time at the Washington, D.C., school.

“I grew up in a white, middle-class suburb,” he said. “The environment where most of the Georgetown players came from was very different. It opened my eyes to a lot of things.”

In the Georgetown basketball program, he was in the minority group. That impacted him, expanding his view of society and other people. It was great training for what was to come next in the ethnically diverse world of pro baseball.

This is Neal Huntington in 2003. Huntington gave Chris Antonetti his first job in baseball.The Plain Dealer

IT’S A GREAT JOB, BUT YOU WON’T GET PAID

Antonetti graduated with a business degree, but his heart was in sports. Working with Thompson and the Georgetown team fueled his passion to be a part of a team and team building.

“When I graduated, there were only two schools offering a master’s in sports management,” said Antonetti. “That was Ohio U. and UMass. I applied to UMass, got in and graduated.”

The next step was an internship. Many of his classmates were going into the marketing and business side of sports. Antonetti wanted to work in the front office. Back then, most scouts, general managers and other baseball front office people were former pro players and/or coaches.

Antonetti was a manager from the Georgetown basketball team. He relentlessly sent out letters and resumes to teams. He believes he probably was the last member of his graduating class to secure an internship.

Finally, he heard from Neal Huntington, who was the assistant farm director of the Montreal Expos. The year was 1997. Huntington was 28 years old. Antonetti was 22 when he became Huntington’s intern.

He did everything from run errands, pushing lots of paper (this was before the internet age took over) and worked on the fields in the spring facility of West Palm Beach. He made sandwiches for the players.

It was like being at Georgetown again, starting at the bottom.

Let’s go back to the car wash. That’s where he learned every job was important in its own way, no job was too small to be done right.

“It was an unpaid internship,” said Antonetti. “I lived at the team hotel, sharing a room with a player. To make money, I parked cars before (minor league) games. I sold ice cream, making a quarter on each sale. It reminds me of being paid 25 cents for every towel I folded at the car wash.”

After six months, Huntington was hired by the Tribe to be Mark Shapiro’s assistant. At that point, Shapiro was Cleveland’s farm director.

In Montreal, Antonetti was given a full-time job to replace Huntington as the Expos assistant farm director.

When Chris Antonetti was hired by the Tribe in 1998, who did he replace in the front office? It was current Cleveland Browns chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta.

COMING TO CLEVELAND

In tough professions, people often say, “I can’t break in because I don’t know anyone.”

A way around that is to keep pushing until someone gives you a chance – as Huntington did with Antonetti. When Huntington went to Cleveland. Antonetti moved up.

Next, Paul DePodesta – Yes, that Paul DePodesta, who is now the Browns chief strategy officer – left the Tribe to go to Oakland. That began the Money Ball era with the A’s.

Meanwhile, Huntington told Shapiro about this promising kid named Antonetti. Shapiro called. Antonetti interviewed. He was hired as an assistant in the Baseball Operations department.

“I moved to Cleveland in November of 1998,” said Antonetti. “That was 25 years ago.”

Antonetti smiled, marveling at the passage of time and how things happened that brought him to Cleveland.

“I owe Neal Huntington so much,” he said. “He took a chance on me. "

Mark Shapiro made the final decision to hire Chris Antonetti to work for the Tribe.

MOVING UP

Antonetti stayed with the Tribe/Guardians. When Shapiro became the GM, Antonetti and Huntington were his top assistants. Eventually, Shapiro became team president, Antonetti moved up to the GM job.

By 2010, Antonetti was running the baseball side of the Tribe.

Those were tough times in Cleveland. From 2009-12, the team lost 97-93-82-94 games.

“Looking back, that was a good thing because it made us re-evaluate how we did things,” said Antonetti. “Then Tito (Francona) joined us after the 2012 season.”

That changed everything. In the last 10 years, Cleveland has had nine winning seasons, six trips to the playoffs and made the 2016 World Series.

The Guardians have done that despite having one of baseball’s lowest payrolls.

“I like working through hard things and trying to do something extraordinary,” he said. “If there is something difficult to do, I want to do it. It’s how I’m wired. There is great fulfillment in doing hard things.”

Terry Francona was introduced as the new Tribe manager on Oct. 8, 2012, alongside Chris Antonetti.

FINDING A HOME

Antonetti is now 48. He has been married to Sarah for 20 years. They have two daughters – Mya (16) and Ella (13).

Antonetti has turned down several chances to take jobs with other teams.

The only time he formally interviewed was with the St. Louis Cardinals in 2007. He was an assistant GM with the Tribe back then. The Cardinals offered him a chance to be their GM. Antonetti had married Sarah, a native Clevelander. He loved working for the Dolan family and Shapiro. He turned it down.

“I’m not one of those people who thinks the grass is always greener somewhere else,” he said. “I always try to appreciate the grass that is in front of me.”

More than half of Antonetti’s life has been in Cleveland. This is his home.

“I have always loved the job I’ve had. I feel valued and have worked for incredible people,” he said. “I joined the Indians with John (Hart), Mark (Shapiro), Neal (Huntington) and so many other great people. It continued to build overtime.”

Antonetti is a man with a grateful heart.

“I couldn’t be more fortunate than to work for the Dolan family,” he said. “As owners, they allow us to lead, to build a culture – and it’s a culture they created. I know how fortunate I am to be in professional sports and be able to stay in the same place. Many people in my job ending up moving a lot.”

Antonetti knows that’s hard on a family. So is his job, which is very public and pressure packed.

“I am so grateful to (wife) Sarah,” he said. “She has been incredibly supportive. My job is demanding. She and the girls have been behind me every step of the way. Sarah is the glue that holds our family together. We love Cleveland and hope we can keep staying here as the girls grow up.”

Antonetti also treasures Cleveland the Guardians fans.

“I feel a deep responsibility to Cleveland baseball fans and the community,” he said. “We wake up every day thinking about what it will be like to win a World Series. Not only will it be a source of pride for what we do on the field, but also the way the organization presents itself. I’m very grateful to work for an organization that shares those.”

<
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Zack Meisel
@ZackMeisel
·
1h
Amed Rosario says the Guardians reached out to his agent about a contract extension, but he doesn’t have a strong inclination as to whether anything will get done. He says his cryptic tweets are unrelated, he likes it in Cleveland and doesn’t consider Opening Day a hard deadline.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Palacios and Quinn both returned to the minors. Quinn has an opt out option

For now the G's retain 3 catchers. It sounds like they're still pretty concerned about Zunino's durability.

Need to clear 2 roster spots:
Cody Morris to 60 day DL
And another move needed. Probably working on a trade and they could well wind up with someone to add to the roster and return Viloria to Columbus.

On last year's midseason list for the Reds, Hajjar was rated No. 14 prospect. But by the end of the season he didn't make their top 30, Here was the writeup last year:'

BA Grade: 50/High

Track Record:: Hajjar was a talented draft prospect dating back to his prep days, and a bump in fastball velocity during the summer prior to his draft year at Michigan helped raise his draft stock significantly. That stuff didn't hold during the spring, but Hajjar still showed a solid pitch mix and control—enough for the Twins to sign him for $1,129,700 in the second round.

Scouting Report: Where Hajjar's velocity settles into is probably one of the bigger questions for the big lefthander now. He pitched in the low 90s for the most part with Michigan, and while he didn't get into an official pro game this summer, he reportedly touched 97 and was sitting comfortably above 93 mph in bullpens with the Twins. Hajjar threw a curveball, slider and changeup in college, though he will likely use the slider and changeup the most at the pro level. His slider has been up to 87 and flashes hard, biting action at its best, while he's made tremendous progress over the last three years with a low-80s changeup that has impressive tumble. There's a bit of funk in Hajjar's delivery that could add some deception to his overall operation, and for the most part he's done a good job throwing strikes.

The Future: Hajjar has starter traits and back-end stuff now, though the quality of his fastball could tick his ceiling up.

civ - I've learned after decades of tennis that there are pulled muscles, strained muscles...then there are pulled muscles and strained muscles.

It all depends on the degree of severity and no two are alike.

So I am assuming that their MRI's show them the degree of severity and they estimate accordingly.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Guardians Prospective
@CleGuardPro
#Guardians transactions

(C) Cam Gallagher added to 40-man
(C) Meibrys Viloria added to 40-man

RHP Jason Bilous DFA'D
RHP Cody Morris placed on 60-day IL

RHP Triston McKenzie placed on 15-day IL
LHP Sam Hentges placed on 15-day IL
12:02 PM · Mar 30, 2023
·
Views

Guardians 2B Andrés Giménez’s seven-year extension will pay him a $4-million signing bonus plus a $1-million salary this year, $5 million in 2024, $10 million in 2025, $15 million in 2026, then $23 million annually for the remaining three years, per Zack Meisel of The Athletic.

4 Kwan strikeouts in the first 3 games.

4th strikeout last year in his 12th game.

Is Steven just a plain old baseball player?
No complaints about his 5 RBI tonight on Friday
Or his approach to all areas of the game.
Pitchers adapt, good batters adapt. Kwan that last year after a weak May. Real good chance he'll continue to do so