Re: Articles

Guardians rookie Steven Kwan breaks down his 9-pitch grand slam at-bat

Sep 25, 2022; Arlington, Texas, USA; Cleveland Guardians second baseman Tyler Freeman (2) and left fielder Steven Kwan (38) and catcher Luke Maile (12) celebrate at home plate after Kwan hits a grand slam against the Texas Rangers during the eighth inning at Globe Life Field. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports
By Zack Meisel

CLEVELAND — Steven Kwan said he “blacked out” when he slugged his first career grand slam Sunday in Texas. The decisive swing sealed the Guardians’ series sweep of the Rangers and allowed those in the visitors dugout to start daydreaming about their forthcoming Champagne celebration.

There might not be a better summary of Kwan’s hitting skills than that nine-pitch battle with Rangers reliever Joe Barlow. Kwan fell behind in the count, worked things back in his favor by resisting to chase a few pitches, fouled off a few sliders and then socked the ball over the fence.

In a conversation with The Athletic on Tuesday, Kwan explained his thought process before and during the eighth-inning at-bat.

“We had a pretty comfy lead at that point. Obviously, any insurance would have helped, but I’m not trying to make that moment too big. I’m just trying to get something middle-middle,” he said. “I had seen that pitcher, too, in spring training and in the minors. I faced him in High A, so luckily I had some experience against him. Just trying to get something over the plate to hit.”

Pitch 1: 88.5 mph slider, called strike
“There’s the backdoor slider. Just a good pitch. I don’t want that. I’m looking for a fastball. That’s not what I want to hit.”

Kwan said he can recognize whether it’s a fastball or a slider spinning his way the instant it leaves the pitcher’s hand. His pitch recognition and hand-eye coordination help to explain his elite contact ability.

Pitch 2: 94.7 mph fastball, swinging strike
“Now I’m looking away. I know what their plan is. He throws a fastball away, same window. It runs away. It gets me. So now it’s 0-2.”

It’s not often that Kwan swings through a fastball. His swinging strike rate of 3.0 percent ranks second in the majors to Minnesota’s Luis Arraez.

“I know I can do some damage on a fastball, so I’m always looking for a fastball to hit. He has a really short slider, almost like a cutter. He dotted one away. And his four-seam has a little bit of run on it, so he tunneled it really well. He put it out in that same window and I’m trying to be on the slider, but then it’s a running fastball, so I completely miss it.”

How does falling behind 0-2 change his mindset?

“If anything, I have to turn my brain off because they’re in the complete driver’s seat. You just have to react and play baseball. You’re just fighting in the trenches to put the bat on the ball. If you can put the bat on the ball, a good thing will happen.”

Pitch 3: 88.6 mph slider, ball
“I’m thinking, ‘Let’s look for something away. He’s probably not going to run in on me.’ Something low. That thing has a little more short cut. It doesn’t have a bunch of bottom to it, so it wasn’t something that was super tempting. So I have to take that one.”

Pitch 4: 88.9 slider, foul
“Same plan, looking away. I think he made a mistake there but I couldn’t capitalize on it. I took a healthy swing on it, but was just a little under it. I saw fastball and then kind of dipped under it. I tried to overcorrect.”

Barlow has thrown his slider 60 percent of the time this season. The pitch has limited opponents to a .190 average and a .298 slugging percentage. Hitters have feasted on his fastball, to the tune of a .556 slugging percentage.

Pitch 5: 93.7 mph fastball, ball
“Still looking away.”

How does he resist a pitch that close to the zone with two strikes?

“My sights are already away. I knew the four-seam, it was already pretty off and then just running away. That’s something I can’t even hit if I wanted to. Usually I know what I can hit and what I can’t hit and I just know my arms aren’t long enough to touch that.”

Pitch 6: 93.7 mph fastball, ball
“That’s the same thing, the same pitch but a little higher, so it’s an easy one to lay off.”

Pitch 7: 88.3 mph slider, foul
“I had in my mind he might try to sneak one, so I was ready for a fastball. Luckily, the sliders are a little slower, so I was out in front of it, but it was staying on the fastball and I can adjust to the slider. If I sit on the slider and a fastball comes, I’m going to lose. So it’s just staying on the fastball.”

Pitch 8: 88.2 mph slider, foul
Is it a victory just to fight off a slider spinning toward him to prolong the at-bat?

“Absolutely. It’s just trusting that I can. And if not, I can’t change anything regardless. I have to put my best swing at it and whatever happens ultimately happens.”

Pitch 9: 87.2 mph slider, grand slam
“I saw something a little higher, something I could keep close to my body. I had seen the slider a couple times and I just put the barrel on it. I wasn’t sure if it went out. Just negative thinking, like, ‘Oh, it probably didn’t go out.’ But then I got to see the (umpire make the signal) and I blacked out. You end up at home with all the guys hugging you. (But while rounding the bases, the) brain just turns off at that point, which is pretty cool.”

The slam was Kwan’s third hit of the game. He collected another three hits Tuesday against the Rays, his seventh multi-hit effort in the last 10 games.

Hitting coach Chris Valaika and members of the organization’s hitting development team have insisted — dating back to spring training — that Kwan could eventually hit for more power, despite his small frame. Since he’s adept at getting ahead in the count, thanks to his strike zone awareness, when a pitcher forces a fastball into his wheelhouse, he can unleash a more aggressive swing. He had three home runs in his first 124 games, then three more in his next 15.

“Early in the year, I was just trying to carve out an identity for myself. I think I bought into that narrative of, ‘This guy doesn’t strike out. He walks a lot. He sees a lot of pitches.’ So I took on that role of, ‘I’m going to foul pitches off. I’m going to spoil pitches. I’m going to hit a single the other way.’ It’s just getting back into my own body and being like, ‘I’m still a good hitter. I can still hit the ball with some power.’ Especially in that scenario. Maybe if it was a 0-0 game, I’m going to try to hit a single the other way. But I knew we had a comfortable lead, so I felt comfortable trying to hit something for a little more power.”

As a result, the Guardians could cruise to the finish line and pop bottles, and Kwan could reflect on one of the most impressive at-bats by a Cleveland hitter this season.

“I can definitely find some pride in that at-bat. That was definitely a cool one. I’m glad I could showcase all my things. But I think it comes from the familiarity, the confidence of knowing I’ve seen this guy before. It’s nothing new. He doesn’t have a hidden weapon in the back pocket. I’ve seen what he has, so now I can just execute my plan and be comfortable.”
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

For decades to come. Sign him to a nice long term contract --- they are not likely to find a smarter better overall player and team leader than Kwan.
Has the minority shareholder's money arrived in the Guardians' bank account yet? Assign it directly to Steven.

Jim Bowden

Guardians — Do they have enough home run power for the postseason?
(86-68; +57 run differential)

The Guardians are the youngest team to make the playoffs since the 1986 Mets. Terry Francona is the front-runner for AL manager of the year and under his leadership, the Guardians have become one of the most fundamentally sound teams in baseball. They lead the AL in contact rate, striking out the least of any team in the league, and they are smart and aggressive on the basepaths. They rank second in the AL with 114 stolen bases but are first in success rate. They also go from first to third extremely well and rarely run into outs. Defensively, they are tied for second in the AL with 66 defensive runs saved, according to FanGraphs, and lead the league in UZR at 36.8.

That said, the one area the Guardians lack is power; they rank 29th in the majors with 122 home runs, and only the lowly Tigers have hit fewer. The last few years, the teams that hit the most home runs were also the ones that advanced in the playoffs. The question is, can the Guardians win in October, like they did in the regular season, without the long ball?

Cleveland Guardians Wild Card Series roster projection: Curiosity at catcher

TEMPE, ARIZONA - MARCH 16: Bo Naylor #80 of the Cleveland Indians looks on in the seventh inning against the Los Angeles Angels during the MLB spring training baseball game at Tempe Diablo Stadium on March 16, 2021 in Tempe, Arizona. (Photo by Abbie Parr/Getty Images)
By Zack Meisel
2h ago
Save Article
CLEVELAND — In one week, the Guardians will host a playoff game at Progressive Field. They might welcome Seattle for a best-of-three battle. Or, they might face the Rays, whom they prevented from clinching a playoff berth Thursday.

“Whoever it ends up being, fine,” Cal Quantrill said. “I think we’re ready. We’ve shown we can play good baseball in meaningful games. We’ve done it for the last month.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The Guardians are 20-4 in their last 24 games. Seven of those wins have come in their last at-bat.

Who will occupy the 26 spots on the club’s roster for that first-round series against, in all likelihood, the Rays or Mariners? Let’s take a guess, keeping in mind that a maximum of 13 pitchers are allowed.

Cal Quantrill pitches against the Rays, whom the Guardians could see again soon. (David Richard / USA Today)
Starting pitchers (3): Shane Bieber, Triston McKenzie, Cal Quantrill

These three are in line to start the three games of the Wild Card Series. If the Guardians sweep their opponent in two games, obviously, Quantrill could start Game 1 of the ALDS in New York. Otherwise, Aaron Civale would be on schedule to make that start if they advance.

(An aside: The team with the bye has a (well-earned) built-in advantage with starting pitching. In this case, the Yankees could start Gerrit Cole opposite Quantrill or Civale, then bring back Cole on regular rest if there’s a decisive Game 5. Meanwhile, Bieber and McKenzie would be able to pitch only once in that series because of the way the schedule shakes out. Anyway, that’s getting ahead of ourselves. Let’s return our focus to the wild-card round.)

Plesac and Civale flipped spots in the rotation, so Civale will start Friday and Wednesday. Plesac will return from the injured list to start Saturday and then is expected to transition to the bullpen. Because he’ll start the final regular-season game, Civale probably won’t be available to pitch during the Wild Card Series.

Relievers (9): Emmanuel Clase, James Karinchak, Trevor Stephan, Sam Hentges, Nick Sandlin, Enyel De Los Santos, Bryan Shaw, Zach Plesac, Eli Morgan

The first six names on this list are no-brainers; they’re the reason Cleveland is lapping the rest of the league in bullpen ERA since the All-Star break. And while we’re here, how about some praise for De Los Santos? An unheralded minor-league signing before the lockout, he has flourished to the tune of a 2.98 ERA, with 10.3 strikeouts per nine innings. (For what it’s worth, De Los Santos said he didn’t realize he had recorded an “immaculate inning” until he returned to the dugout Tuesday and everyone started high-fiving him. He’s the fourth pitcher in team history to accomplish that feat.)

ADVERTISEMENT

“Even though I didn’t (make) the Opening Day roster,” De Los Santos said Thursday, “the key was (pitching coach) Carl Willis talking to me, telling me I have a good style and I was going to be part of this team. And look where we are. It’s like everybody says, ‘It’s not how you start. It’s how you finish.’”

Given Shaw’s veteran presence, it stands to reason manager Terry Francona will vouch for his inclusion. If you were tasked with arguing for Shaw to make the roster, you could point to his .603 opponent OPS in high-leverage situations, I suppose. He’s been torched in low-leverage situations. Morgan has fared much better in September (allowing one run in 11 innings) than he did over the previous 10 weeks (9.00 ERA).

In anticipation of Plesac returning to the roster, the Guardians shifted Cody Morris to the ‘pen on Wednesday. He has pitched pretty well in a starting role — a 2.18 ERA and a 4.66 FIP — but there will be an odd man out if they opt to go with 12 pitchers and 14 position players for the best-of-three matchup.

Catchers (2): Austin Hedges, Luke Maile

Here’s where things get complicated.

The club added catching prospect Bo Naylor to its taxi squad Thursday. He took batting practice, spent time with Sandy Alomar Jr., Austin Hedges and Luke Maile, and reunited with his older brother, Josh. (Bo is wearing No. 44, which is twice his brother’s number, 22.)

Francona and team president Chris Antonetti have suggested this week that the team has considered adding a third catcher to the roster at various points since rosters expanded at the start of September.

“We’re talking about a lot of scenarios right now,” Antonetti said Thursday when asked what it would require for the younger Naylor to join the active roster.

He’s the Guardians’ catcher of the future — as in, as soon as next spring — and the club covets his versatile skill set. His speed and power could prove valuable whenever he’s called upon. He posted an .889 OPS with 21 home runs and 20 stolen bases this season at Double-A Akron and Triple-A Columbus. Adding a third catcher, although throwing a lot at a rookie, would allow the team to more aggressively pinch hit for Hedges and Maile. Hedges is on track to become the second position player since 1990 to total at least 325 plate appearances and an OPS under .500, and the first Cleveland hitter to do so since 1917.

ADVERTISEMENT

Naylor’s path to a postseason roster spot would require some creativity. Any player who was a member of the 40-man roster before Sept. 1 is eligible for the playoff roster. There is a loophole, though: Any player who was a member of the organization can replace a player on the IL.

So, for instance, Will Brennan could gain postseason eligibility by claiming Anthony Gose’s spot. Once Plesac returns from the IL, however, Gose will be the only sidelined player, which would seem to leave only one spot for Brennan and Naylor. Bryan Lavastida, on the other hand, has spent the entire season on the 40-man roster, so the club could add him to the playoff roster without any additional developments. But, it’s worth noting that Naylor, unlike Lavastida, is actually in Cleveland.

(As it stands, Tyler Freeman is the team’s emergency catcher. He “said he caught when he was 7,” Francona said. “So he’s the obvious candidate.”)

We’ll stick with two catchers for now, but this is worth monitoring over the next few days. A third catcher would offer more utility than, say, a seventh infielder or a 10th reliever.

Infielders (7): Josh Naylor, Andrés Giménez, Amed Rosario, José Ramírez, Owen Miller, Tyler Freeman, Gabriel Arias

Cleveland’s infield is set, which is why it seems like overkill to have three infield reserves on the roster in Miller, Freeman and Arias. There is a vacancy in the lineup at designated hitter, which Miller has regularly occupied (or, in some instances, he takes over at first and bumps Josh Naylor to DH).

Freeman is an adept contact hitter, so he seems like a logical pinch-hitter candidate. He and Arias can bounce around the infield, but only an injury would draw Ramírez, Giménez or Rosario out of the lineup.

Outfielders (5): Steven Kwan, Myles Straw, Oscar Gonzalez, Will Brennan, Will Benson

Kwan, Straw and Gonzalez figure to start every game. Brennan seems like the best candidate to start either at designated hitter or in right field when a righty stands atop the mound. Benson’s speed could be valuable in a late-game situation and, though he has yet to hit a big-league home run, he flashed plenty of power in the minors.

Brennan delivered a pinch-hit single Thursday that keyed Cleveland’s comeback against Tampa Bay.

“He wouldn’t be here if we didn’t think he could help us win,” Francona said. “With three weeks to go in the season, we’re not going to call guys up that we don’t think can (help us). We’re trying to win. So I think that’s about the biggest compliment we can give him.”

n anticipation of Plesac returning to the roster, the Guardians shifted Cody Morris to the ‘pen on Wednesday. He has pitched pretty well in a starting role — a 2.18 ERA and a 4.66 FIP

If Morris' ERA of 2.16 means he pitched "pretty well" what does Plesac's 4.39 signify? Plesac has 99 K in 127 innings, allowed 19 home runs. For some reason that has resulted in a 3-11 record.

Morris has 20 K in his limited 20 1/3 innings, allowed 3 homers. He doesn't break bones or break team rules.

civ - this is just for one start probably to let Plesac stretch out a bit. He'll likely be a type of "opener".

In the playoffs both Morris and Plesac will not be starting.

First round is only 3 games so we can imagine the starters.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Meisel’s Musings: On Guardians’ Bo Naylor, Bryan Shaw decisions, Emmanuel Clase’s efficiency, more

Mar 10, 2021; Goodyear, Arizona, USA; Cleveland Indians catcher Bo Naylor against the Los Angeles Angels during a Spring Training game at Goodyear Ballpark. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
By Zack Meisel
6h ago

Save Article

CLEVELAND — When Terry Francona informed Bo Naylor the Guardians were adding him to the major-league roster, the manager had a warning for the rookie catcher.

If you head-butt me …

“That’s my brother,” Naylor told him, referencing the slightly terrifying post-walk-off shenanigans of his older brother, Josh. “That’s not me.”

The Naylor brothers, realizing a dream that became practical when Josh joined Cleveland in the Mike Clevinger trade two years ago, are finally members of the same big-league roster. During the club’s champagne celebration last weekend in Texas, Josh said he wished Bo could be in the clubhouse with him to enjoy that experience. A few days later, they were reunited.

“At one point in the game I definitely looked up, saw him at the plate and just realized I was getting ready,” Bo said after debuting in a 7-1 loss to the Royals on Saturday night. “I was like, ‘You know, we’re here.’ It was definitely something that I want to make a usual thing.”

The Naylor brothers have played together before. Once. When Josh was 15, their father, Chris, was coaching a local team. They were short-handed, so they called upon Bo, who was three years younger. Bo batted once and notched a single.

“To this day, I get to brag that I’m hitting 1.000 in that league playing three years up,” he said.

The Guardians brass has considered this move for weeks. Naylor equips the club with a third catcher, allowing it to more aggressively pinch hit for Austin Hedges and Luke Maile, and it can do so with a 22-year-old who demonstrated in the minors this season that he can draw a walk, hit a home run and steal a base.

One evaluator suggested Naylor was one of the top receivers in minor-league baseball, though he cautioned there will be a steep learning curve in adjusting to the majors. Naylor shadowed Sandy Alomar Jr. on Thursday and Friday after the club added him to its taxi squad following the conclusion of the Triple-A season.

“If you pinch hit him,” Francona said, “you don’t have to pitch run for him.”

So, why execute this move with five games remaining in the regular season?

It allows Naylor to learn from Hedges and Maile and to work with some of the pitchers he might partner with next season. And it’s a safe bet that Naylor will be part of the Guardians’ postseason plans.

Any player who was a member of the 40-man roster before Sept. 1 is eligible for the playoff roster. But an injury loophole permits anyone who was a member of the organization, period, before Sept. 1 to be included on the postseason roster, so long as they’re added to the 40-man, as Naylor and Will Brennan have been within the past week and a half.

One of those rookies can replace Anthony Gose, who has fulfilled his minimum 60-day stint on the injured list. The other can replace an injured minor leaguer who is on the 40-man roster. One source noted the Guardians have minor-league candidates who would not be physically able to perform in the playoffs and therefore could not be considered for a roster spot. With sign-off from medical staff and the league, Naylor or Brennan can replace one of those candidates.

When Naylor entered Saturday’s game in the sixth inning, he became the 17th player to make his major-league debut for the Guardians this season. If we exclude the 1901 season, since that was the inception of the franchise as a charter member of the American League, that matches the club record, previously set in 1912 and 1914. A few minutes after replacing Maile, Naylor threw out a runner attempting to steal.

The addition of Naylor to the active roster cost veteran reliever Bryan Shaw his spot. The team has welcomed Shaw to stick around in an informal capacity. He hung out at his locker Saturday afternoon. Shaw earned a base salary of $3 million this season and more than $1 million in bonuses for making 60 appearances. He had a $4 million club option for next season.

Only two pitchers in franchise history, Mel Harder and Bob Feller, have made more appearances for Cleveland than Shaw, who has totaled 519. Shaw’s dismissal leaves Zach Plesac as the team’s oldest pitcher, at 27 years and eight months, just ahead of rotation mates Shane Bieber, Cal Quantrill and Aaron Civale, who are also 27.

Related: The Naylor brothers’ dream to play together
Emmanuel Clase and Amed Rosario watch a highlight video of the 2022 season before Saturday’s game. (Ken Blaze / USA Today)

No pitcher in baseball has made more appearances this season than Guardians closer Emmanuel Clase. No pitcher in baseball has recorded more saves this season than Clase’s 40, the most by a Cleveland reliever since Joe Borowski miraculously and implausibly registered 45 (with a 5.07 ERA) in 2007.

And yet Clase feels strong. The Guardians aren’t panicked about his workload. Why is that?

Well, Clase has topped the 20-pitch mark in only five of his 75 appearances. He has exceeded 15 pitches in only 15 of his 75 appearances. So, 80 percent of the time, he’s made quick work of the opposition. In 44 of his 75 appearances, he has thrown 10 pitches or fewer.

“He is so efficient,” Francona said.

That isn’t the norm.

Clase doesn’t have many peers with comparable statistics. Mets closer Edwin Díaz, owner of the league’s best ninth-inning entrance, has thrown more pitches than Clase despite making 16 fewer appearances.

Clase is the sixth Cleveland pitcher to tally 40 saves in a season, joining Borowski, Bob Wickman, Mike Jackson, José Mesa and Doug Jones.

José Ramírez has moved into a tie with Al Rosen for 10th place on the franchise’s all-time home run leaderboard, at 192. Ramírez is 145 home runs from chasing down Jim Thome, who has the top spot. Ramírez is under contract for six more seasons; he would need to average about 24 home runs per season to catch Thome.
Cleveland all-time HR list

Jim Thome

Albert Belle

Manny Ramirez

Earl Averill

Carlos Santana

5 (tie)

Hal Trosky

Larry Doby

Andre Thornton

Travis Hafner

Al Rosen

10 (tie)

José Ramírez

Ramírez has collected a career-high 122 RBIs this season, the most by any Cleveland hitter since 2001, when Thome tallied 124 and Juan González totaled 140. Ramírez is the 17th player in team history to eclipse the 120 mark.

Amateur Guardian-friendly page "Covering the Corner" sometimes has interesting stuff posted, often not, this headline is an example of the latter:

Bo Naylor enjoys a successful debut in a forgettable loss to the Royals

Successful in the sense that he played in and completed a Major League Baseball game. Nothing else about this was successful.

Oh, throwing out the first attempted basestealer in his big league career is not successful.

Inside Triston McKenzie’s journey to a breakout season for the Guardians
Zack Meisel

Oct 4, 2022

CLEVELAND — Triston McKenzie sprinted to the center of the clubhouse, snagged a pair of scissors and darted back to his locker to tear into a small cardboard box.

He knew what treasure awaited him, and once he placed the silver and green Rolex on his wrist, teammates flocked to his locker to examine the watch. In January, Cubs pitcher Marcus Stroman promised him the jewelry if he logged 160 innings and an ERA better than 3.70 this season. Check. Check.

Initially, McKenzie considered naming it Storm, after the X-Men character. He admitted it wasn’t his most creative effort. McKenzie names everything. His red glove, which sits in his locker behind a stack of yellow boxes filled with Keebler vanilla sugar wafers, is named Ruby. He ultimately settled on Artemis for the Rolex.

After the exchange with Stroman, McKenzie told his parents he felt like a little kid interacting with a pro ballplayer he admired, the way the eighth graders he mentors feel about him. That wide-eyed enthusiasm hasn’t faded. How could it? He has pitched like an ace, played with longtime friends on a division winner and, more than anything, he says, he feels comfortable in the big leagues.

He sums up his breakout season in one word.

“Refreshing.”

He’s savoring every moment of it.
Triston McKenzie lets loose after a 13-strikeout performance against the White Sox last month. (Matt Marton / USA Today)

Triston McKenzie hated homework.

He was gifted enough to scan his notes 10 minutes before an exam and still receive a top grade. But when the final bell rang, he clocked out of all scholastic responsibilities. He would stuff a pile of crumpled papers in his backpack and then neglect them once he entered his front door. There was baseball to play and friends to chase around his southeast Florida neighborhood. His approach didn’t always satisfy his parents, both physical therapists who attended NYU. He said he was eternally in trouble.

“I understood it all in class,” McKenzie said, “so I was like, ‘Why am I doing this?’”

McKenzie didn’t dream about a major-league future until the twilight of his high school tenure. He committed to Vanderbilt in July before his senior year. By October, though, scouts swarmed him and convinced him he could be a coveted draft choice.

Cleveland’s scouting department paid close attention to McKenzie. They were drawn to his fastball, his curveball, his changeup and his charisma. They did voice concerns about his lanky frame. They searched for comparisons to other similarly shaped big-league pitchers, but aside from Ramon Martinez, Jack McDowell and Satchel Paige, they didn’t find much.

Ultimately, they couldn’t resist the opportunity to select McKenzie with the 42nd pick in the 2015 MLB Draft. They appreciated the way McKenzie studied the routines of the major leaguers who trained with him at a Florida facility operated by Eric Cressey. Scouting director Scott Barnsby said it was “easy to dream” about McKenzie’s fastball, given its velocity and the way it still sidestepped bats even when he didn’t have his best velocity.
McKenzie pitches in the 2017 Futures Game. (LG Patterson / MLB via Getty Images)

Brad Grant, the architect of Cleveland’s drafts from 2007 to 2017, said McKenzie’s makeup was “off the charts,” and lauded his insistence on unearthing ways to improve — perhaps the antithesis of his view toward schoolwork — as well as his intelligence and his engaging personality.

“He can take over a room,” Barnsby said.

He does that on a regular basis.

McKenzie, carrying a bright red Raising Cane’s cup, arrived in the Guardians clubhouse on Monday, set down his belongings on the leather chair at his locker, flipped on the clubhouse sound system and headed for the Mario Kart machine.

It’s difficult to pinpoint a more beloved player in the clubhouse. He connects with those whose primary language is English and those whose primary language is Spanish, with those who pitch and those who hit. (He would argue he does both, citing his career .500 batting average — 1-for-2 — and that Reds first baseman Joey Votto once complimented his swing.)

One day last month in Texas, McKenzie patrolled center field during batting practice, the only player out there among clusters of coaches. He danced along to the music emanating from the ballpark speakers. When the session ended, he answered a reporter’s questions outside the dugout. Rookies Will Benson and Tyler Freeman then stood beside their teammate, and McKenzie detailed how he would attack each hitter — fastballs to speed up Benson’s bat before dropping in one of his rainbow-arced curveballs, and nothing but heaters to Freeman.

He’s a tall, thin kid with the poise and maturity of an accomplished, big-league veteran.

A few hours before he stymied the White Sox lineup in Chicago last month, McKenzie sat at a table in the center of the visitors clubhouse and ate Frosted Flakes while watching a few teammates play cards. He said his dream off day would consist of waking up at 9 a.m., grabbing Chick-fil-A breakfast and playing video games until he feasts on Chipotle for lunch, then playing video games until he gorges on a steak dinner, and then playing more video games until midnight.

No matter what he’s doing, there’s music playing in the background. McKenzie’s only pre-start ritual is to listen to Future’s “Call the Coroner,” his original warmup song during his inaugural season in 2020. He listed Drake, J. Cole, Michael Jackson, 50 Cent and Eminem as his five favorite artists of all time. After he pitched his team to victory last month, he sang along to Michael Jackson’s “Man in the Mirror” in the clubhouse, though he stressed “Thriller” is Jackson’s magnum opus and “I Want You Back” by The Jackson 5 is the family’s top production.

As McKenzie tossed his warmup pitches before the top of the third inning Monday evening, his final tune-up before his first career postseason start this weekend, Jackson’s “Don’t Stop ’til You Get Enough” blared from the ballpark speakers.

“Good young players grow,” manager Terry Francona said, “and you kind of see it right in front of your eyes.”
McKenzie ranks ninth among qualified AL starters with a 2.92 ERA. (Ken Blaze / USA Today)

McKenzie and Zack Greinke squared off Monday evening at Progressive Field. Coincidentally, Greinke helped fuel McKenzie’s emergence this season.

During a visit to Kansas City earlier in the season, Greinke approached McKenzie and referenced his start in Houston last season, when Greinke pitched for the Astros.

“I like how you carried yourself,” Greinke told him. “I like your resilience.”

Greinke abruptly walked away after delivering that message, but he left a mark. In four innings that night last July, McKenzie surrendered five runs on eight hits.

“I was taken aback by it,” McKenzie said. “He saw me for my grit. I really appreciated that. When I pitch well, people notice. But even when I didn’t, someone like Zack Greinke, who has tenure in The Show, he saw some value in that.”
McKenzie sits in the dugout after pitching eight shutout innings against the Tigers last season. (Rick Osentoski / USA Today)

Peer reviews helped to restore McKenzie’s confidence during a trial-filled 2021 campaign. As McKenzie retreated to the dugout following a spot start in Detroit, Miguel Cabrera shouted to him that he was relieved to see him exiting the game. After a sterling effort against the Royals last summer, Kansas City catcher Salvador Perez commended him while boarding the team bus.

But Greinke’s words, the opinion of a fellow pitcher who has enjoyed the sort of career McKenzie is striving for, carried more weight.

“That was more eye-opening,” McKenzie said.

It hasn’t always been easy for McKenzie to see that light for himself. He says he’s his own biggest critic. Then, there’s a massive gap, then his father, then another sizable gap, and then everybody else. Stainton McKenzie watches each of his son’s outings two or three times. He listens to both teams’ broadcasts to gain varying perspectives to relay to Triston. Father and son used to butt heads when evaluating his performances in high school, arguing about his competitiveness and mindset. But now, Stainton knows how his son thinks and what he’s seeking when analyzing an appearance. If Triston pitches well, he might call his dad after the game for their regularly scheduled recap. If he struggles, he’ll disrupt that schedule.

Stainton fell in love with baseball while growing up in Brooklyn and watching the 1980s Yankees. Triston and his younger brother, T.J., an outfielder at Vanderbilt, caught the baseball bug from their dad. Triston was a germaphobe, so he preferred the baseball diamond to the basketball court, where he’d make close contact with other sweaty athletes.

As he progressed through high school and the minor leagues, the questions about McKenzie’s frame persisted. He brushed aside the topic, but it became more prevalent when injuries limited him to 16 starts in 2018 and wiped out his 2019 season. McKenzie acknowledged it sounds like a “first-world problem,” but he said being sidelined for an entire year was “one of the most traumatic things that’s happened to me.”

He was on the doorstep of the majors, as he would have been ticketed for Triple-A Columbus that season. He sulked when the draft took place in June and another class of minor leaguers joined the organization, when a wave of prospects earned midseason promotions and when he plummeted in prospect rankings. He felt he was stuck in neutral while his peers continued their ascent. He said he was miserable as he rehabbed in Arizona, an experience he described as “humbling.”

“You see that time almost float past you,” McKenzie said. “You feel like you’re losing time.”

Less than three years later, he has cemented himself as a big-league rotation anchor. He has hushed the durability concerns, totaling 191 innings this season. He’s one of 10 qualified American League starters to record a sub-3.00 ERA. He said he’s most proud that he made 30 starts and never landed on the injured list.

“This entire year,” Shane Bieber said, “he has displayed that he doesn’t just belong here. He’s going to thrive here.”

Last season, McKenzie needed the outside approval and a mindset overhaul to throw with conviction and convince himself he wielded a big-league-caliber skill set. This year, that hasn’t been an issue.

McKenzie hasn’t allowed more than three runs in a start in two months. Since the beginning of July, he owns a 2.19 ERA and has averaged nearly seven innings per start. That’s more than Rolex-worthy.

“I believe in him,” Bieber said. “I know everybody else does. And I think most important is he believes in himself.”

Who is José Ramírez? The stories that define the face of the Cleveland Guardians
Zack Meisel
Oct 6, 2022

CLEVELAND — It’s a few hours before first pitch at Progressive Field, a quiet afternoon in the Guardians clubhouse. That is, except for the All-Star third baseman, who’s yanking his middle-infield partner’s foot to drag him around the room in his leather chair, who’s wearing a blinding-yellow arm band just to stand out in the team photo and who every few minutes sprints over to the miniature basketball court in the corner of the clubhouse, where he demands the ball and promptly clanks a shot.

“Too long,” he shouts, before retreating to his locker, smacking the back of a bystander’s head along the way.

These energy bursts appear with regularity. Everyone in the room understands the deal. When his pregame energy is palpable, everyone simply marvels at the comedy routine that follows.

There’s a mystique about José Ramírez, perhaps the sport’s most unheralded headliner.

He’s not the loudest guy, but he ranks atop the roster in trash talk and laughs produced. He’s not the biggest guy, but he piles up home runs like a hulking slugger. He’s not the fastest guy, but he’s an elite base runner. He’s not the most nimble athlete, but he’s sure-handed at the hot corner. He’s far from the youngest player on the Guardians’ roster, but, at 30 years old, he supplies as much spirit as a newly promoted rookie.

Ramírez’s insistence on signing a long-term contract extension to remain in Cleveland provided the foundation for the club’s march to an AL Central title. It could result in him ultimately becoming one of the most decorated players in the history of a franchise that started in 1901.

But who, exactly, is José Ramírez?

Who is this guy who asks teammate Will Benson every day what time the game starts, who changes his phone number at least once a month, who chews an M&M cookie as he randomly offers a reporter his forthcoming playoff share?

Here is a collection of stories that shine a light on the traits that make Ramírez such a fascinating superstar.
José Ramírez, left, and Francisco Lindor in 2018, six years after they played together in Class A. (David Maxwell / Getty Images)

Robel Garcia and Francisco Lindor, Cleveland’s prized first-round draft pick the previous summer, formed the middle infield for Class-A Lake County in 2012. Ramírez was “not on the map,” according to one coach in the system at the time. Garcia struggled in the first half for the Captains, posting a .607 OPS, so the organization opted to swap him with Ramírez, who was playing at Low-A Mahoning Valley. Dave Wallace, the manager at Lake County, and Ted Kubiak, the manager at Mahoning Valley, had what would ordinarily be an in-depth conversation to offer assessments of each player.

“I’m sending you the pennant,” Kubiak said. Then he hung up.

Ramírez joined the Captains and, sure enough, led their charge to the playoffs by batting .354 with 17 stolen bases in 70 games.

“Insanely fun to watch him and Lindor up the middle that summer,” Wallace said.
Ramírez, left, with Mike Aviles, debuted on Sept. 1, 2013. (Duane Burleson / Associated Press)

Cleveland summoned Ramírez from Double A in September 2013, manager Terry Francona’s first season with the franchise. They planned for him to provide a jolt of energy off the bench, as a fearless 20-year-old who could pinch run when the club needed late-game speed.

So, the kid whose primary task was running arrived at Comerica Park for his major-league debut… without his shoes. He had to borrow white cleats from the Tigers’ clubhouse staff, and those shoes were two sizes too big.

Naturally, he entered his first game on Sept. 1 in the ninth inning with the score tied. He replaced Carlos Santana at first base after Santana drew a leadoff walk. He later trotted home on Mike Aviles’ grand slam.

Ramírez’s hustle helped that team in its quest to secure a wild-card berth, so much so that Francona dubbed him “Little Shit” for the way he pestered the opposition on the basepaths.

As several teammates and coaches described, Ramírez has always acted as though he’s the most imposing guy on the field, even though he’s often the smallest.

“Nothing scares him,” said Ramon Peña, who signed Ramírez in 2009 as the organization’s director of international scouting.
The Mario Kart king defending his crown.

Ramírez is the undisputed Mario Kart king. He cruises along with the spike-shelled Bowser character, and he’ll play only one particular set of tracks, the Mushroom Cup (the grouping that includes Moo Moo Farm and Koopa Troopa Beach). Over the years, his chief competition has shifted from Shane Bieber to Adam Plutko to, now, Myles Straw, who contends he’s amassed a healthy record against his close friend in recent weeks.

“He’s constantly chirping,” Straw said. “He’s always like, ‘I want to beat your ass.’”

In August 2019, he unveiled his Mario Kart power rankings, listing himself first, followed by Tyler Clippard, Adam Cimber, Bieber and Brad Hand. When Bieber took exception to the hierarchy, Ramírez replied: “OK, maybe third.” Ramírez defeated Clippard that day, then placed his finger to his lips as he looked around the clubhouse to shush all of his doubters, even though the room was empty.

This summer, Ramírez challenged anyone in the clubhouse to a Mario Kart duel. He suggested a couple of teammates play him for $100. When no one took him up on his offer, he raised the stakes to $1 million and then $2 million. Of course, only five other players on the roster this season are earning an annual salary of at least $2 million.

He’s fiercely competitive and unforgiving with any game. He exhibits no mercy when playing cards or dominoes. He’s been known to invite minor leaguers over to his residence during spring training, solely to obliterate them in MLB The Show. He always plays as Cleveland and always sets the game to its most demanding settings.

“Don’t judge a book by its cover,” catcher Austin Hedges said. “He’s just a little guy, but he’s probably better than you at everything.”

Only once has he seemed mortal. He challenged reporters to ping-pong in the center of the clubhouse one afternoon this summer. After he hit a few volleys, a reporter spiked the ball back at him. “OK, you’re better than me,” he said as he gently laid down his racket and the ball beside the net.

One morning near the end of spring training in 2015, as Ramírez headed out to the team’s primary practice field, he noticed his shortstop position was occupied … by his white BMW SUV.

“I still laugh at that,” third-base coach Mike Sarbaugh said.

His teammates had grown tired of him constantly parking as close to the complex as possible — on the curb, in the fire lane, in the spots typically reserved for veteran players — any location that hastened his arrival, no matter how it inconvenienced anyone else. So, Aviles directed a mission to show Ramírez that he needed to leave his car in an actual spot. The primary culprit grabbed Ramírez’s keys out of his locker, received some help from the clubhouse staff in opening a gate to allow for easy access to the field, and then backed up the vehicle onto the infield dirt. Aviles and company had approval from the coaching staff and, perhaps most importantly, the grounds crew, which navigated their way around the BMW X6 as they prepped the field that morning.

“(That was) funny as heck,” Aviles recalled. “He wasn’t too happy, but he warmed up to it and was a good sport.”
Ramírez adjusts his shades during spring training last year. (Ross D. Franklin / Associated Press)

Ramírez sat down at his locker one afternoon and opened a box filled with about a dozen pairs of new shoes. “Only for me,” he said. “Mucho flow.”

Ramírez’s fashion sense tends to turn heads. Earlier in his career, he’d wear a hat that said, “Hi, haters” with a logo of a waving hand. He now has his own emblem, with his initials and his No. 11. His crown jewel, though, is the gold chain he wears that features a photo of himself wearing the same chain.

His jeweler asked if he had a photo he wanted to place in a medallion to hang from the chain. Ramírez, though, misinterpreted the question, thinking the jeweler asked for a picture of Ramírez wearing the chain. So, he submitted a photo, captured at the All-Star Game in Colorado last summer, of him holding said chain. That’s how you wind up with a chain that includes a picture of the chain-wearer wearing said chain. Chain-ception, if you will.

One summer, the organization welcomed its new international signees from Venezuela and the Dominican Republic to Progressive Field for orientation. The handful of teenagers were working out on the field. One of them, starstruck, approached Ramírez and asked for his autograph.

“You’re a player just like I am,” Ramírez told him in Spanish. “You shouldn’t want my autograph. You should want my job.”

Those who witnessed the interaction stress Ramírez wasn’t belittling the player. He was encouraging the youngster and saying he was on Ramírez’s level as a professional.

That sort of mentality has served Ramírez well in 2022, when he has blossomed as a leader in the Guardians clubhouse.

“He does a good job of not letting the clubhouse get too cliquey,” Triston McKenzie said. “There’s no group of guys who José thinks is off-limits. He’s just another one of the guys.”

Case in point: Ramírez regularly plays with Trevor Stephan’s hair, and has randomly joined the background of the reliever’s FaceTime calls. The third baseman and the late-inning reliever don’t cross paths often. Their lockers are on opposite ends of the clubhouse. They sit 400 feet apart during games and stand on opposite ends of the diamond during batting practice. But Ramírez makes it a point to have some sort of connection with every teammate. That’s why he took Oscar Gonzalez on a shopping spree on Michigan Ave. in Chicago last month. That’s why he constantly asks Benson for the first-pitch time, as if there’s a possibility everyone decided to arrive at the ballpark at 10 a.m. for a night game. Ramírez and Rosario are the kings of the “intercept the delivery of the baseball a teammate whacked to record a particular milestone, such as a first career hit, and pretend to throw it into the crowd” maneuver. Several teammates used the word “spontaneous” to describe Ramírez.

He learned that clubhouse technique from Mike Napoli in 2016. The two played cards in the center of the clubhouse each day, even though they didn’t speak the same primary language. Ramírez didn’t say much during his first couple of years in the majors. He’s still relatively quiet, but he picks his spots to deliver the perfect line to make everyone laugh.

During the hour before first pitch, though? He doesn’t say a word to anyone. That’s Ramírez’s sacred hour of preparation, when he gets taped up, stretches and studies video.

“So many guys on our team are better players because they try to play like José,” Hedges said.
Ramírez waits for a pitch ... (Jay Biggerstaff / USA Today)

When Franmil Reyes was auditioning for scouts in the Dominican Republic more than a decade ago, he visited Cleveland’s complex in Santo Domingo on occasion.

“I saw a little guy walking to the bathroom with that strut,” Reyes said. “Like, ‘Who is this guy?’”

That strut is unmistakable. Ramírez swings his arms like giant pendulums and seemingly shifts his entire body weight from side to side with each step. Teammates regularly mimic it.

“Try to do it,” reliever Dan Otero once said. “It’s freaking hard work. Gets the obliques going.”

Ramírez had the same strut in 2009, when Peña first watched him in the Dominican. Peña arranged a series between a team from Baní, Ramírez’s hometown, and another squad of players he had signed. Peña coveted catcher Jorge Alfaro, but the trainer in charge of that team, Enrique Soto, drove a hard bargain.

Through the first three days of the weeklong series, a switch-hitting second baseman who measured 5-foot-8 and 140 pounds stood out most to Peña. Soto recommended Peña consider Martín Peguero, an infielder who never made it past A-ball. But Peña was enamored with the way Ramírez could slap line drives across the outfield, steal bases and play defense.

Soto pushed Peguero and other players on Peña, who told him: “Your payroll is as high as the Yankees.” Ultimately, the two settled on a $50,000 price tag for Ramírez, who had little choice but to agree. He was 17, had dropped out of school several years earlier and had no alternative career path in mind. During a visit to a local school in 2018, Ramírez encouraged a group of students not to follow his path, telling them he was “one in a million” who convert such a risk into glory.

His entire career, Ramírez has proven wrong those who have doubted his potential because of his size. Even those in the organization projected him to wind up as a skilled super-sub, not a perennial All-Star. Since he broke into the majors, teammates have called him “Mini.”

Now, though, he’s the owner of a $141 million guaranteed contract, the most lucrative deal in the history of the Cleveland franchise, a charter member of the American League. He’s a four-time All-Star, a three-time MVP finalist and one of the sport’s most well-rounded performers.

He’s never cared about landing massive endorsement deals or record-setting salaries, despite teammates insisting he erred when he signed a team-friendly extension following a breakout season in 2016. He’s said he has everything he could need: security for his family, comfort in his surroundings and a chance to spend his entire career in one place. Plus, he has a vacation home in the Dominican that has an in-ground pool, a baseball field, a basketball court and a batting cage.

“I’ve seen pictures,” Bieber said, smiling. “No excuse for not getting your work in.”
Ramírez flies around the bases and slides in safely to score a run, helmet-less, of course. (David Richard / USA Today)

Ramírez’s helmet flew off his head 95 times this season, a personal record (for anyone keeping track at home). The airborne equipment is a product of two things: His dreadlocks don’t exactly create a simple resting spot for the helmet, and he’s always hustling around the bases.

Ramírez has ranked anywhere between the 58th and 81st percentile in the major leagues in sprint speed during his career, but he consistently scores high in FanGraphs’ base-running metric. This season, he joined Grady Sizemore as the only players in team history with four 20/20 seasons (home runs and stolen bases).

“We’ve talked since day one how we want to play,” Francona said. “If your best player doesn’t do it, my message would be hollow. And I know that. And José knows that. He’s pretty special.”

In August 2018, when he was leading the league in steals, he wore cheetah-print shoes after a game.

“They look fast,” a reporter said.

“Expensive, too,” Ramírez replied.

One time, Ramírez slid head-first into third base, where Sarbaugh watched the helmet become dislodged and heard it rattle his teeth.

In June 2021, Ramírez lined a single to right field against Baltimore. The Orioles caught him attempting to advance to second. He escaped the pickle and dove into second base, his helmet bouncing toward the outfield grass. When he stood up, he realized no one was covering third. Though he nearly lost his balance on the way, he beat several Orioles players in a footrace and plunged into the bag in a not-so-graceful bellyflop.

“There’s nothing better than a ball down the line, watching him run the bases,” Bieber said.

“It’s so infectious,” catcher Luke Maile said.

The base-running prowess stems from his sky-high baseball IQ, a trait his coaches suggest doesn’t command enough attention. Former Cleveland utility infielder Mike Freeman told the club’s hitting coaches Ramírez is the smartest teammate he ever had. Freeman spent 12 years in professional baseball.

“He’s like a miniature David Ortiz,” assistant hitting coach Victor Rodriguez said.

It’s not often Ramírez is outwitted by a pitcher. Aviles said even when Ramírez first broke into the majors, despite profound struggles at the plate, the reputation of the opposing pitcher never daunted him. In fact, early in his career, when a wretched stretch of hitting cost him playing time, Ramírez actually requested to be optioned to Triple-A Columbus so he could play every day and repair his swing.

“I love that crazy kid,” Aviles said.

Ramírez has a strong handle on how every pitcher is going to attack him, which explains how, even though everyone in the universe knows he prefers to yank fastballs, pitchers often wind up caving to his demands and throwing him a fastball to smack.

After a rare non-competitive at-bat that resulted in a strikeout earlier this summer, there was a loud thwack in the dugout. Players peered toward the end of the bench, where Ramírez had slammed his helmet against a wall. That’s an atypical sight, which led to a shocked, silent dugout. So, to break the awkward tension, Ramírez waved at his teammates and said, softly: “Hi.”

“When you talk about confidence,” Peña said, “that’s José Ramírez.”

During a winter ball game with Toros del Este early in his professional career, Ramírez was playing shortstop. The wind was gusting so strong that with two outs and the winning run on third base, when the batter hit a popup toward the clouds, none of his fellow fielders wanted any part in hauling in the baseball with the unpredictable descent. Ramírez didn’t mind chasing it down.

“There are a lot of kids with tools and ability,” Peña said, “but they don’t have it inside them. I said to myself that day, ‘This guy is going to play in the major leagues.’”
Ramírez, right, with Steven Kwan, center, and Myles Straw in April. (Ken Blaze / USA Today)

Ramírez has his spot on the very end of the dugout bench. His teammates know that’s his perch, where he sits, observes and wears out the opposing third baseman.

Hedges: “He’s always talking.”

Rodriguez: “Every time he opens his mouth, it’s to say something funny.”

Chris Valaika, hitting coach: “He always has those one-liners or the look he gives people.”

When he was mic’d up during a game in Los Angeles earlier this year, Ramírez told Dodgers first baseman Freddie Freeman: “You’re one of the best hitters … after me.” Some of Ramírez’s favorite targets include Detroit’s Jeimer Candelario, Boston’s Rafael Devers and Arizona’s Josh Rojas.

During the ninth inning of a game at Fenway Park last summer, Ramírez was relentless in badgering Devers. A crowd of teammates had huddled around Ramírez in the dugout. Reyes smacked a game-tying home run over the Green Monster, and Ramírez sprinted up and down the dugout.

“He’s the heart and soul,” Bieber said. “Guys naturally gravitate toward him.”

Ramírez knows precisely what to say to get under a player’s skin, and he even uses verbiage from other dialects to add an extra dimension to the trash talk.

He has impeccable comedic timing in both Spanish and English, too. Well, and other languages.

At the end of the 2019 season, as Ramírez walked to his locker in the visitors clubhouse in Washington, D.C., he yelled to reporters: “Too many questions!”

A reporter replied: “Do you have any answers?”

“No hablo Inglés,” Ramírez said.

“Hablamos Español,” the reporter countered.

“I speak Chinese,” Ramírez said, before exiting the room.

When he strolls into the batting cage before a game, for no reason other than to be goofy, Ramírez will tell his hitting coach that another coach was talking behind his back.

Victor, Sandy is over there talking about you.

Sandy, Victor is over there talking about you.

Ty Van Burkleo, Cleveland’s hitting coach from 2013 to 2021, was a regular target of Ramírez’s nonsense. In 2018, before he became bullpen coach, Brian Sweeney would spend the first inning in the dugout and then migrate to the video room to sit beside replay coordinator Mike Barnett. As Sweeney exited the dugout each game, Ramírez would stare him down and say, “Keep an eye on Barney.”

“It’s just to stir it up,” Rodriguez said, “but it’s harmless.”

Earlier this season, Ramírez asked a reporter what his name was. The reporter, named Paul, replied, “Pablo.”

“Escobar or Sandoval?” Ramírez asked.

“Escobar,” the reporter said, laughing.

“Wow,” Ramírez replied, “mucho money.”

A few days later, with no explanation, Ramírez took a full-length portrait of the reporter and said, “Someone needs to see you.”

Ramírez turned 30 on Sept. 17, and all afternoon, teammates approached him at his locker to wish him a happy birthday. Zach Plesac instead handed him a fancy bottle of liquor.

“You’re my bro,” Ramírez told him. “You don’t say happy birthday. You bring me a gift.”

Guardians vs. Rays Wild Card predictions, pitching matchups and what you need to know
Jul 2, 2022; Toronto, Ontario, CAN; Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher Shane McClanahan (18) walks toward the dugout during the seventh inning against the Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre. Mandatory Credit: Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports
By The Athletic MLB Staff

The mutual affection between baseball men can manifest in strange ways. Consider the case of Rays manager Kevin Cash and Guardians manager Terry Francona. Cash played for Francona in Boston and coached on his staff in Cleveland. When Cash started getting invited to interview for managerial openings elsewhere, Francona coached him through the process. “I’m proud of him,” Francona told Sports Illustrated a couple of years ago.

An unsuspecting bystander might not have realized this walking into the visiting manager’s office in Detroit one day this summer. Portraits of all the big-league skippers filled the wall. Only Francona had covered Cash’s face with tape.

“I just got tired of looking at him,” Francona said. “It was turning my stomach a little bit.”

He was only retaliating, he later explained, because the Rays had just been in town, and Cash had papered the clubhouse with embarrassing pictures of Francona as a welcome gift. It was merely the latest salvo in a prank war that has now stretched nearly a decade. When the Rays visit Cleveland, Francona likes to broadcast the meagerness of Cash’s hitting prowess by posting his statistics on the Progressive Field scoreboard. Cash responded by stealing Francona’s scooter.
Terry Francona (David Richard / USA Today)

The two men will lock horns in a more meaningful contest this weekend. The Guardians ran away with the American League Central in September, and look formidable despite a record aided by the inferior in-division competition. Cleveland has boasted one of baseball’s best pitching pipelines for years. Shane Bieber has already won a Cy Young Award. Triston McKenzie developed into a dependable force in 2022. The bullpen features bat-missing options like James Karinchak, Trevor Stephan and Sam Hentges to set up for closer Emmanuel Clase.

Cleveland can usually pitch. What the team had not done, when missing the playoffs in 2019 and 2021, was hit. A long-term agreement with cornerstone third baseman José Ramírez provided stability for the franchise. And the team benefited from the emergence of Andrés Giménez, who arrived as part of the Francisco Lindor trade package in 2021. The Guardians sport the youngest roster in the league, with rookies like Steven Kwan and Josh Naylor (whose younger brother, Bo, just got called up) playing big roles.

Plenty of arms, not enough bats — that’s a formula to which the Rays can relate. Tampa Bay regressed from a 100-win, first-place season in 2021 to a third-place finish this year. Injuries handcuffed the offense: Brandon Lowe, Kevin Kiermaier and Mike Zunino will all be spectators this October because of various ailments. The Rays strike out more than any other American League team in the playoffs and have below-average power.

But like their counterparts from Cleveland, they can pitch. The staff received a boost when former frontline starter Tyler Glasnow returned from Tommy John surgery in September. Shane McClanahan started the All-Star Game. You may not have heard of many of Tampa Bay’s relievers, but trust us: They are good. A matchup like this, one that figures to not feature much scoring, may well come down to the wiles of the two managers. Either Cash or Francona is going to exit this series with plenty to crow about. — Andy McCullough
Game times

Game 1: Rays at Guardians, Friday at 12:07 p.m. ET, ESPN

Probable Starters: Shane McClanahan (12-8, 2.54) vs. Shane Bieber (13-8, 2.88)

Game 2: Rays at Guardians, Saturday at 12:07 p.m. ET, ESPN2

Probable Starters: Tyler Glasnow (0-0, 1.35) vs. Triston McKenzie (11-11, 2.96)

Game 3: Rays at Guardians, Sunday at 4:07 p.m. ET, ESPN (if necessary)

Probable Starters: TBD vs. Cal Quantrill (15-5, 3.38)

Pitching matchup

Yeah, it’ll be a low-scoring series. The Rays will throw Shane McClanahan, Tyler Glasnow, and a combination of Drew Rasmussen and Jeffrey Springs versus Shane Bieber, Triston McKenzie and Cal Quantrill in probable order.

At least, that’s the plan on paper for Tampa — their starting foursome has thrown 100 innings less, meaning the Rays will expect less bulk from their starters, and continue to mix and match as they always have. Having someone as good as Springs (who threw 135 1/3 innings of 2.46 ERA ball) as a security blanket for any of their three “starters” is exactly the kind of thing you know they’ll take advantage of.

On the surface, you might take the Guardians trio. They have the bulk, won seven more games than the Rays’ foursome, and did so with a 3.07 combined ERA, which is really impressive. But Glasnow’s stuff seems to have returned with him (10 strikeouts in 6.2 innings so far), and the Tampa group put up a lower ERA (2.60) while striking out a full batter more per nine innings than its Cleveland counterparts. Strikeout minus walk rate is widely regarded as one of the most powerful prognosticators, and the Rays (20.6 percent) top the Guardians there(16.9 percent) too.
Tyler Glasnow (Brian Fluharty / USA Today)

Even deeper, the statistics squarely favor Tampa. Take fastball velocity, as an example: Tampa’s four average 2.5 mph faster with their four-seamers. If you sum up the physical characteristics of their pitches as Stuff+ does, there’s a huge gap between the Rays (113 Stuff+) and the Guardians (95 Stuff+). It’s fair to wonder if the model misses something in Cleveland, as Bieber and Quantrill were two of the biggest misses this season for that statistic, but one of the main reasons the Guardians’ pitchers have been successful (very low batting average on balls in play) is something Tampa does exactly as well (.276 for both).

In the bullpen, Cleveland takes back the advantage in most aspects of pitching. The only caveat is that bullpen quality is a moving target, as relievers get healthy (Pete Fairbanks is doing so just in time, with the second-best Stuff+ in baseball) and hurt (Colin Poche just went down with an oblique injury). Still, over the last month, the Guardians have had the best bullpen in baseball (with plenty of Stuff+, as Emmanuel Clase was sixth and James Karinchak fourth in baseball in that stat) and the Rays were just middle of the pack.

The Rays may end up using their starters heavier than they usually want to — Corey Kluber out of the pen against his former team seems like a lock to happen — but, once you consider the relative strengths of these teams, this looks like an even matchup that should feature standout pitching. — Eno Sarris
Why the Guardians will win

This isn’t your grandparents’ playoff team. Well, actually, it sort of is. That’s their style: pitching, defense and the brand of offense that will transport senior citizens back to the ’70s. While the other playoff teams sit back and wait for that momentous, three-run homer, the Guardians just slap one hit after another and let their feet do the rest. You might ask, “Well, isn’t that difficult to do during the postseason when they’ll face nothing but top-tier pitching?” Guess what their opponents will also face: top-tier pitching. Cleveland’s offense will steal the headlines because it’s the antithesis to 2022 baseball, but really, it’s the Guardians’ consistent, reliable pitching staff that will carry them. Shane Bieber and Triston McKenzie have pitched their way into the outskirts of the Cy Young Award conversation. The bullpen has been the league’s best since the All-Star break. The formula is simple: Keep pitching how they have pitched, and score a few timely runs. (That line should transport you back to 2016.) That shouldn’t be asking too much from an offense employing such an atypical — and refreshing — style. — Zack Meisel
Why the Rays will win

If the Rays win, it’ll be due to domination by the starting pitchers. McClanahan, Glasnow and Rasmussen have that in them. The only question will be how much depth they have and if they can hand the ball to the relievers late enough in the game to paper over some middle-inning issues. If Springs and Kluber can morph into middle relievers, maybe the Rays can do something like the Nationals once did and ride their starting pitching through what will surely be a low-scoring series.

Then, despite some of the weaknesses in this offense, all it will take is a well-timed blast from Randy Arozarena, Manny Margot or Wander Franco to pull ahead. Just look to 2020 for an offensive blueprint: Someone gets white-hot and the rest do just enough in support. It’s worked before! — Sarris
Why the Guardians will lose

If they struggle to string hits together for 36 hours, they could disappear from the postseason faster than the time it takes the racing hot dogs to scurry along the outfield warning track. The Mariners and Orioles silenced Cleveland’s bats at the beginning of September — that feels like eons ago — so it’s possible. A staff that doesn’t mind pitching to contact and employs a sound defense could match up well with the Guardians. The Rays ranked in the middle of the pack in strikeout rate and defense. They did lead the sport in walk rate; it’ll benefit them to not permit free runners, who would inevitably dash around the bases. One other key: Cleveland fared much better against righties (.714 OPS) this season than lefties (.646). They’ll get McClanahan in Game 1, and they’ll surely see southpaw Springs at some point.

“Everybody has peaks and valleys,” Francona said. “We just have to stay true to who we are. That can be a little difficult. Somebody like Glasnow or McClanahan, they can make a pretty good team look not so good.” — Meisel
José Ramírez (Jay Biggerstaff / USA Today)

Why the Rays will lose

The bullpen isn’t as good as it’s been in the past. Pete Fairbanks is showing the best stuff of his career, Jason Adam has been a revelation, Calvin Faucher has stop-ten Stuff+, and maybe Garret Cleavinger can step in and be the lefty after Colin Poche got hurt … but is that really enough to pull off the kind of postseason run the Rays have put together in the past?

And the offense isn’t in good shape right now, either. A lineup that was 14th-best by OPS+ has been more bottom-third in the last month. Franco hasn’t been hitting for power since coming back from his hamate injury, Margot is trying to get it going again, deadline acquisition David Peralta hasn’t hit a home run for his new team, Isaac Paredes has hit a bad stretch of batted-ball luck, and generally they’ve just struck out too much (22.3 percent of the time) for the type of power they’re showing (.350 slugging).

Gotta score runs to get ahead, and even if they do, will this pen necessarily hold? — Sarris
The Athletic MLB Staff Predictions
Guardians

65.4%
Rays

34.6%