Re: General Discussion

To answer my own question:

Brantley sits with severely upset stomach

By Jordan Bastian / MLB.com | 07/20/11 2:33 PM ET

MINNEAPOLIS -- The extremely hot and humid conditions have taken a toll on Michael Brantley's body. On Wednesday, the Indians outfielder remained sidelined with a severely upset stomach.

"Michael is in pretty bad shape," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "He's still not able to eat and process food properly. He's just not playable."

Acta indicated that Brantley's ailment was initially described as heat exhaustion, which developed after Monday's day-night doubleheader against the Twins. The outfielder has been receiving fluids intravenously, according to Acta.

Cleveland's manager also noted that a handful of his players were given fluids through IVs between and after Monday's games, and also following Tuesday night's loss. Acta hoped that the off-day on Thursday would help Brantley -- the Tribe's regular left fielder -- recover in time to play on Friday at home against the White Sox.

With Brantley sidelined, and Travis Buck also unavailable after being hit in the head with a pitch on Tuesday night, Acta gave utility man Luis Valbuena the nod in left field on Wednesday afternoon. The Indians are also without outfielders Shin-Soo Choo (broken left thumb) and Grady Sizemore (right knee injury).

The Indians lost Brantley in the midst of a hot stretch at the plate, too. Over his past 11 games, Brantley has hit .412 (21-for-51) with three doubles, six RBIs and nine runs scored. In his previous 23 contests, he hit at a .174 clip with a .503 OPS.

On the season, Brantley is hitting .281 with six homers, 17 doubles and 39 RBIs in 92 games for Cleveland.

"For the most part, he's been pretty consistent," Acta said. "Like any young hitter, at times he gets out of his comfort zone, chases some pitches and gets himself out. But he's had a very good road trip so far. He's been huge for us."
" I am not young enough to know everything."

Re: General Discussion

Most contending teams want to see anybody they're interested in, showcased in the Majors. I'm sure the Tribe would like to package Valbuena in a deal. Valbuena had a good year at AAA but as soon as he's back in the Majors he pulls a Marte.
Last edited by seagull on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.