Re: Just Baseball: Major League teams OTHER THAN the Tribe

Central Division competitors do not sit still or de-populate:

Lance Lynn, RHP

Lynn has finished in the top six of the AL Cy Young voting in each of the last two seasons. His signature pitch is a four-seam fastball which averaged 94 mph in 2020 and played as one of the most effective of its kind. The four-seamer was ranked by StatCast’s run value as the third best in the game, behind only Jacob deGrom and new teammate Lucas Giolito—a pair of all-stars. He’ll give an already-excellent rotation even more of a boost as the White Sox try to pick up where they left off in 2020 and make a deeper run toward their first pennant since 2005.

They have their No. 4 and No. 24 prospects to get him. Not a big price to pay except they also have to pay his salary which some teams I know would avoid like the plague

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
·
9h
BREAKING: The San Diego Padres are finalizing a trade to acquire former Cy Young winner Blake Snell from the Tampa Bay Rays for prospects.

The prospective deal that would send Blake Snell to San Diego would be centered around top pitching prospect Luis Patiño, sources tell ESPN. Also in the deal, as
@dennistlin
reported, would be catcher Francisco Mejia, pitcher Cole Wilcox and Blake Hunt, a young catcher.

They have traded 18 of their top 30 prospects starting with the Clevinger deal PLUS several recent "prospect graduates" like Naylor and Quantrill
The haul for Clevinger netted them a few innings in 2020 and none in 2021.
In Darvish they get a 34 year old who just bounced back to his best season.
Snell's a 28 year old in his prime but also missed part of 2020 with injuries.
They're taking some gambles but sure are making an effort.
They had perhaps the top ranked farm system so they had lots of assets to move.
Indians are not too different in that regard, although our top guys are mostly younger
The Padres are also willing to take on salary. Some teams we know aren't.

civ - I think it is so, so important to remember that San Diego is now a one team city since the NFL Chargers (and earlier the Clippers) left town. Pretty big city for only one big league team. And the Padres have a really nice ballpark situated in a good place for public transportation.

Remember when there was no Browns? Tribe did pretty darn well. Corporate has one team to advertise through, season ticket holders have one team, only one TV contract etc

So an investment in that Padre franchise has all kinds of potential to pay off.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain