Re: Idle Chatter

The couple that was attacked was on a back country trail so your son probably wouldn't have run into the mama griz unless he went on a hike off the beaten path.

I personally have never seen a bear at Yellowstone through several trips. By comparison I see one almost every time I go to Glacier.

When I hike I don't wear a bell like some people do but I try to talk and make as much noise as possible as I go so I don't surprise a protective mama.

The couple obviously wasn't making enough noise as they hiked. And I wonder if they had any bear spray. Doesn't sound like they were prepared well. They must have been from out of state. As Rocky always says, the bears here love tourists.

He went to N Dakota to hunt prairie dogs.

I heard they taste like chicken.

:-)

My wife still trips a bit when I relate one of my childhood memories of anxiously waiting for my Grandfather on my mother's side to come home from a hunting trip toting his squirrel rifle and a bag of fresh squirrel. I loved my Grandmother's prepped squirrel from her cast iron skillet.

It took me years of research and searching to be able to replicate her home made noodles after she passed.

Chances are pretty good I won't be researching and searching on her squirrel recipes.

Though I did enjoy each and every time she prepared and served.

("from West Virginny they came to stay in Cal I For Ni A")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATAshDSEpos

Been a while since we had Idol Chatter in Idle Chatter ...

'Idol' Pia Toscano to release debut single next week

July 06, 2011 | From Denise Quan, CNN

Former "American Idol" contestant Pia Toscano has signed a record deal with Interscope Records and will release her debut single next week, the label said Wednesday.

Within hours after she was voted off the 10th season of the talent show in April, reports surfaced that Toscano had been signed by Interscope head -- and "Idol" mentor Jimmy Iovine.

But at the time, Toscano told CNN it was not a done deal.

On Wednesday, the label said Toscano's debut single, "This Time," will arrive July 12. The album comes out later in the year.

I tell ya, when you're hiking in the Montana back country and see any fresh signs of a grizzly, it definitely gets the blood rushing. They are bigger, faster and stronger than any 2 people. One of the most awesome creatures walking the earth. If you get into a close encounter, even if you are carrying a firearm(illegal in national parks) or pepper spray, there is some degree of luck that you will escape without harm. You can do everything right and still lose.
" I am not young enough to know everything."

Rocky:

Guns are actually now permitted in National Parks.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federa ... ke_ef.html

And I've heard some people have good luck with bear spray.

Hope I never get in a situation where I need either.

The man & woman hikers we're talking about had seen the grizzles a little earlier on the hike. They kept going at it. The second time they saw the mama it was too late, it was charging.

The man told his wife to run and she did. She didn't see the griz attack her hubby. But after it was done with him it chased her down too. She did the old "playing dead" trick and it worked. The griz picked her up by her day pack then dropped her and left her alone.

Victim of bear attack on fourth visit to Yellowstone

Posted: Friday, July 8, 2011 12:15 am | Updated: 11:15 pm, Thu Jul 7, 2011.

By Carly Flandro, Chronicle Staff Writer

Brian and Marylyn Matayoshi were experienced Yellowstone National Park visitors. The Torrance, Calif., residents had been to the area three times before and hiked on some of its many trails.

Wednesday morning, while on their fourth park trip, they chose to hike the Wapiti Lake Trail.
At about 11 a.m., the couple was a mile and a half from the trailhead. They walked out of a forested area and into an open meadow, and that's when they first saw the grizzly bear.

The bear, a sow with young cubs, was about 100 yards away at the time. Wildlife biologist Kerry Gunther said the bear was likely foraging for clover or greens. She may have had her head down and may or may not have seen the hikers.

But the Matayoshis had certainly spotted her, so they began walking away from the bear. Al Nash, park spokesman, said that's "exactly what we tell people to do."

But when the two turned to look back, the sow was running down the trail at them.

The Matayoshis, who were not carrying pepper spray, began running but the sow caught up, knocking Brian, 57, to the ground, where the bear bit and clawed at him. The bear then ran after Marylyn, who had fallen to the ground nearby. The bear bit her daypack, lifting her from the ground then dropping her. She remained still and the bear left the area.

Marylyn walked back to the meadow, unsuccessfully tried dialing 911, and then began shouting for help. She was heard by a distant group of hikers, who were able to call for emergency services.

Two rangers were already in the area on backcountry patrol and responded to the scene of the incident at approximately 11:30 a.m.

Brian was dead when they arrived.

On Thursday, neighbors in California described the Matayoshis as nice, quiet people who would occasionally give away their Los Angeles Dodgers tickets if they couldn't make it to the game, according to their hometown newspaper, the Daily Breeze. Brian Matayoshi was a pharmacist, and the couple had lived in the same light beige house with green trim since at least 1978.

The couple had at least two children, a son and daughter, who attended North High School and graduated about 10 years ago, according to the Breeze.

Park officials have said they will not pursue the bear or attempt to trap it because its attack was defensive rather than predatory.

"There are usually not repeat occurrences," Gunther said, adding that there's about a 1-in-3 million chance of being attacked by a grizzly in Yellowstone National Park.

However, samples were taken of the grizzly's scat and hair so if another incident occurs, officials could tell whether it was the same bear.

The area of the attack has been cleared of backcountry users, and Dan Wenk, park superintendent, said officers were "very certain there's nobody back there."

He said he didn't believe park officials could have done anything more to prevent the incident. Bear warning signs were posted, and there had been no reports of bear activity on the trail.

Gunther said that in the case of running into a grizzly, running should be avoided. Rather, it's best to back away slowly and to stand ground if a bear charges, he said.

"Bears can run faster than an Olympic sprinter," he said. "Nobody can outrun them."
" I am not young enough to know everything."

That article had more details then my local Great Falls paper had yesterday. I had originally read they saw the bear and continued the hike. So now sounds as if they did turn back but didn't help. I would not call 3 trips to the park making them experienced.

By the way, if anyone here or your loved ones is planning a trip to the parks out here you should know that Going To The Sun Road at Glacier National Park isn't open yet, but is set to open July 13.

Rocky, you likely already know but Magic Trip is now available on Comcast On Demand before it will be released in theaters. $9.99, which these days may be less than when it comes to a theater near you.

About The Film

Alex Gibney and Alison Ellwood’s MAGIC TRIP is a freewheeling portrait of Ken Kesey and the Merry Prankster’s fabled road trip across America in the legendary Magic Bus. In 1964, Ken Kesey, the famed author of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” set off on a legendary, LSD-fuelled cross-country road trip to the New York World’s Fair. He was joined by “The Merry Band of Pranksters,” a renegade group of counterculture truth-seekers, including Neal Cassady, the American icon immortalized in Kerouac’s “On the Road,” and the driver and painter of the psychedelic Magic Bus. Kesey and the Pranksters intended to make a documentary about their trip, shooting footage on 16MM, but the film was never finished and the footage has remained virtually unseen. With MAGIC TRIP, Gibney and Ellwood were given unprecedented access to this raw footage by the Kesey family. They worked with the Film Foundation, HISTORY and the UCLA Film Archives to restore over 100 hours of film and audiotape, and have shaped an invaluable document of this extraordinary piece of American history.

http://www.magictripmovie.com/