Re: Draft Folder

I'd think the Indians would be interested in taking a lot more pitchers this year, but that's what I said last year, too. They used to be known for college kids [Naquin, Zimmer; before them people like Danny Peoples; focus has changed to high end college kids, starting with Frazier, continuing with both pitchers [Sheffield, McKenzie] and outfielders [Benson, Holmes]. More risk, more reward. And a steady diet of control pitchers, none better than Bieber.

Final BA projection for tonight's draft picks:

Noah Naylor

St. Joan of Arc Catholic SS, Mississauga, Ont. C/3B

Notes:
Naylor could certainly fit in a number of spots higher than No. 29, but Cleveland has some money to throw around in the back of the first round and his feel to hit seems to match the Indians’ scouting philosophy. This could be a great value if he’s here.

Alek Thomas

Mount Carmel HS, Chicago. OF

Notes:
Thomas has been mocked to the Indians early and often this spring and still makes sense here as a lock to stick in center field with impressive hand and plus speed. Florida middle infielder Xavier Edwards could make some sense as well and has some similarities as a legitimate top-of-the-scale runner with great feel for the barrel.

[I guess our need for pitching depth is not expected to lead to drafting pitchers at the top of the draft. We'll see]
[Nowadays our picks are usually athletic high school center fielders and middle infielders. Or at least the athletic CF part, from Naquin to Frazier to Zimmer to Benson to Holmes]

29. Cleveland Indians: C Noah Naylor, St. Joan of Arc (Ont.) HS

The younger brother of Padres slugging prospect and former Marlins first-round pick Josh Naylor, Noah is one of the more promising prep hitters available, and he has a chance to hit for both average and power. The question is, do you try to develop him into an average catcher -- which will take time and a toll on his bat -- or put him at third base and expedite the bat? I'd put him at the hot corner.

Ryan Lewis @RyanLewisABJ
With the 41st pick (competitive balance), the Indians select right-handed pitcher Lenny Torres out of Beacon HS in New York. He's the No. 47 prospect according to MLB Pipeline.

jeff ellis @jeffMLBdraft
I had this pick to the Indians at one point Lenny Torres is extremely young, very quick arm high velocity
Torres looks like a future reliever most likely, extremely raw. Massive Boom or Bust, Mets were rumored to want him in round 2