Re: Articles

It's pretty accurate. Aiken WAS one of the top prospects in the game and it's too bad that his arm surgery as a teenager has caused him to plunge.

That list excludes the Bieber-clone Aaron Civale. But it accurately shows our system being very very thin on pitching: only McKenzie in that Top 10

I put Mc ahead of Mejia based on Francisco's much worse second half in Akron: were pitchers figuring him out? was he tiring out? And his still less than stellar reviews for his catching skills. Still a very good prospect, but I'm more positive on McKenzie becoming a star and still hoping that a couple dozen more pounds makes him better able to sustain a long season and perhaps add to his fastball.

Yes Bradley cut down on strikeouts, but cut down on the good stuff too last year and is still "only a first baseman". I don't think he joins Mc and Mej as top level prospects.

I'd put Willie Castro a half dozen spots higher, and Freeman wouldn't make my top 15, otherwise the rankings are pretty close to mine.

[quote="TFIR"]2018 Cleveland Indians Minor League Preview
8. Greg Allen, OF | Level: AA | Age: 24 | 2017 Stats: .267/.345/.355, 2 HR, 26 RBI, 24 SB

Do we have a future King of SAGNOF? Has Rajai Davis’ title been vacated? If so, Allen looks like he’s got a real shot at it with some full-time at bats. There’s very little power, but Allen gets on base, has above average contact skills, and can run like the bastard child of Dee Gordon and The Flash. Perhaps he’s not that fast, but plus plus speed is legit. Likely will be relegated to a fourth outfielder in Cleveland, but could develop into your Rajai Davis/Jarrod Dyson type. ETA: 2018

This is a very interesting concept, keeping Greg Allen on the 25 man roster.
UD

Yonder Alonso signing may be all the free-agent bucks Cleveland Indians can spend this winter
Updated 5:45 PM; Posted 5:43 PM

By Paul Hoynes, cleveland.com

phoynes@cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Chris Antonetti said the signing of Yonder Alonso probably represents the biggest free agent move the Indians will make this winter. That sounds an awful lot like Jay Bruce will be joining Carlos Santana, Bryan Shaw and Joe Smith on another team before the start of the 2018 season.

The Indians officially announced the signing of Alonso on Saturday to a two-year $16 million contract with an $8 million option for 2020. Alonso will make $7 million in 2018 and $8 million in 2019. If he reaches 1,110 plate appearances in the first two years of the deal or 550 in 2019, and passes a physical at the end of 2019, the option will vest.

"We'll continue to be active," said Antonetti, president of baseball operations, during a Saturday conference call. "We had a certain amount of flexibility headed into the offseason that we had to use judiciously. This represents the vast bulk of that flexibility because the cost of retaining the nucleus of our team is about $25 million to $30 million based on escalating contracts and players going through the arbitration process.

"Our expectations is that this will be one of our signification free agent acquisitions of the offseason, but we'll see how the next few weeks evolve and what opportunities present themselves."

Antonetti expects the 2018 payroll to be higher than last year's total of $124 million, a franchise record.

Players such as Corey Kluber, Jose Ramirez, Jason Kipnis, Andrew Miller, Edwin Encarnacion, Carlos Carrasco, Yan Gomes and others are under multiyear contracts and are due raises. Lonnie Chisenhall, Trevor Bauer, Cody Allen, Zach McAllister and Danny Salazar will receive raises through the arbitration process.

While this may be a concern for Tribe fans, Alonso was pleased to be coming to the Indians. He has played for the Reds, Padres, Oakland and Seattle, which covers a lot of losing. The only winning team he's played on was the 2010 Reds and he appeared in just 22 games as a rookie.

"They're a winning team," said Alonso. "I know all the losses I've had in my career. I'm happy now to call Cleveland home because I know there is a winning attitude, a winning organization.

"Everything they do is top notch. I'm just really excited about getting a chance to contend for a World Series."

The Indians have had five straight winning seasons since Antonetti hired manager Terry Francona following the 2012 season. They've gone to the postseason three times, won two AL Central titles, one pennant and reached Game 7 of the World Series in 2016.

The left-handed hitting Alonso, 30, replaces Santana at first base. He is coming off his most productive season, hitting .266 (120-for-451) with a career-high 28 homers and 67 RBI for Oakland and Seattle. Alonso's previous career highs were in 2012 when he hit nine homers and drove in 62 with San Diego.

Yes, he changed his swing, using more lift in his swing to hit more balls in the air. Antonetti said the Indians do not think Alonso is just a one-year wonder.

"First this was a purposeful adjustment Yonder made with both his approach and something in his swing," said Antonetti. "It's not a one-year trend if you look at the underlying numbers from him. He's been a guy who has shown good control of the strike zone. He's always been very patient at the plate. This year he made some adjustments to that approach in pursuit of some power.

"We feel he's developed into a very productive offensive player at first base. He also brings a strong defensive reputation and we think he'll fit in well."

Alonso said he started to change things two years ago. He always felt, as a first baseman, he should hit for more power. He'd be in the weight room with his teammates and see that he was stronger than a lot of them.

"I felt like I needed to make changes," he said. "It's tough, but I was able to get through that. I changed some things with my lower half. I got more flexible and was able to be more explosive when I was attacking the ball."

Antonetti complimented Alonso for his dexterity around the first base bag and his ability to handle throws from the infield and scoop balls out of the dirt.

The addition of Alonso means Michael Brantley, when healthy, will stay in left field instead of moving to first base. Brantley is recovering from right ankle surgery. He played 11 games in 2016 because of right shoulder surgery. Last season he played 90 games before his right ankle ruined his second half.

Brantley could still miss the start of the 2018 season. If so, Antonetti said Kipnis, the former second baseman, may fill in for him. When Brantley returns, Antonetti said there's a chance Kipnis might hold a utility type job.

"It's a possibility," said Antonetti. "We're still weeks away from having to make those types of decisions. We'll see what the final roster composition looks like when we get to spring training.

"It's something we might consider doing, but we have to have that conversation with Jason."

Kipnis, of course, could still be traded.

Alonso has always hit better against righties than lefties. It was especially apparent last season, which probably means Francona will platoon at first and designated hitter. DH Edwin Encarnacion could play first against lefties, but who would DH? Antonetti mentioned right-handed hitters Giovanny Urshela or Erik Gonzalez. He added that third baseman Yandy Diaz, another right-handed hitter, could get a look at first base in spring training.

Antonetti said it all depends on what goes into building the 25-man roster for 2018. Regarding testing Diaz at first, he said, "We've talked about it."

"Our expectations is that this will be one of our signification free agent acquisitions of the offseason, but we'll see how the next few weeks evolve and what opportunities present themselves."

LOL, doesn't that contradict the whole point of the article?

I'll take that to mean that he thinks trade opportunities are next in line for significant upgrades.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

If Yonder can teach Yandy how to hit the ball in the air he'll be doubly valuable. Looking again at Diaz' rookie stats, he had a remarkable 9 extra base hits in 179 trips to the plate and only one of them wasn't a double. Balls on the ground also don't effectively score runners from third; he managed one sac fly. He has the muscles to hit for power, or at least a bunch of solid line drives up the gaps. I cannot see how a hitter with "isolate power" of under .100 can be a corner regular.

CLEVELAND INDIANS

Will the Cleveland Indians and Francisco Lindor agree to multiyear extension? Hey, Hoynsie
Posted December 26, 2017 at 07:37 PM | Updated December 27, 2017 at 04:20 PM

By Paul Hoynes, cleveland.com

Hey, Hoynsie: At what point does the Tribe need to get serious about a new deal for Francisco Lindor? I know they reportedly made him $100 million contract extension offer last spring, but I'm wondering what the real story is and will they make him a member of the Indians for his career? I'd hate to see another great player leave because they were unable to sign him. – Stu Boyar, Williamsville, N.Y.

Hey, Stu: I'd say a $100 million offer is serious. Lindor is under Tribe control for the next four more years. I’m sure the Indians will try to extend his contract again before the start of the 2018 season. A lot of young high-profile players are waiting to see how the 2018 free agent class – Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Clayton Kershaw etc. – will influence the marketplace.

Few players have stayed with one team for their whole careers in the free-agent era. The player has to have a desire to stay and the club has to have the resources to make it happen. I’d say the fact that Lindor and his agent already turned down a significant extension is an indication that the shortstop will not spend his whole career in Cleveland.

Carlos Santana
First baseman Carlos Santana is one of three significant players that the Indians have lost to free agency so far this winter. (Chuck Crow, The Plain Dealer).

Here's how Indians approach free agency
Hey, Hoynsie: Why does it seem that the Indians can’t keep their key free agents once they hit free agency? The Yankees signed Giancarlo Stanton this year and Aroldis Chapman last year, but the Indians have let Carlos Santana, Bryan Shaw and Joe Smith go this winter. It looks like they are giving ground. Yonder Alonso is good player, but the Indians don’t appear to be strengthening their hand. – Roger Luca, Tallahassee, Fla.

Hey, Roger: As I’m sure you know, Stanton wasn’t a free agent. The Yankees recently acquired him in a trade from the Marlins. The Yankees did sign Chapman as a free agent before the 2017 season, but he wasn’t their free agent. Remember, they traded Chapman to the Cubs during the 2016 season. Chapman helped the Cubs beat the Indians in the World Series, but they elected not to re-sign him.

The Tribe’s strategy when it comes to keeping its own free agents is to try and sign them to extensions early in their careers that allow the team to buy one or two years of their free agency with guaranteed money or club options. They’ve done it with players such as Santana, Michael Brantley, Jose Ramirez, Jason Kipnis, Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco, Yan Gomes, Dan Otero and Roberto Perez.

The Yankees have a payroll at or above the luxury tax of $197 million. If they want a free agent, they can go get a free agent. The Indians operate on a different budget.

They can occasionally sign a free agent such as Edwin Encarnacion if he slips through the cracks, but most of the time they’re going to look for bargains or watch their own free agents walk away after their extensions run out.

What does 2018 hold for Yandy Diaz?
Hey, Hoynsie: Will Yandy Diaz get more playing time in 2018? Do you think he'll hit for more power? – Jeff Durra, Santa Rosa, Calif.

Hey, Hoynsie: First things first, Diaz needs to make the team. Ideally, it would be nice to see him win third base in spring training and give the Tribe’s lineup a much-needed right-handed bat. Chris Antonetti, president of baseball operations, said last week that Diaz may get a look at first base as well.

Unless Diaz can embrace the launch angle revolution – change his swing to hit more balls in the air – I think it’s doubtful he’ll hit for a lot of power. He hit five homers in 465 at-bats last season between Cleveland and Class AAA Columbus. The year before he hit nine homers in 444 at-bats at Class AA Akron and Columbus.

Maybe Alonso can give him some tips.

Carlos Santana
The Indians will receive a compensation pick after the first round of the June draft for losing Carlos Santana to the Phillies in free agency. (Chuck Crow, The Plain Dealer).

What compensation pick will Tribe get for Carlos Santana?
Hey, Hoynsie: With Carlos Santana signing with Philadelphia, where will the Indians' compensation draft pick be? Will it be the third overall pick in the draft that belongs to the Phillies or at the end of the first round? – Gary Sapp, Boca Raton, Fla.

Hey, Gary: The Indians will get their compensation pick at the end of the first round in June. The Phillies will retain the third overall pick. The Tribe ensured a compensation pick by offering Santana a $17.4 million qualifying offer.

Bryan Shaw
Do the Indians need a reliever to replace Bryan Shaw or do they have other more pressing needs for 2018? (Phil Long, Associated Press).

Do the Indians need pitchers or hitters?
Hey, Hoynsie: Do you believe the Tribe needs another starting pitcher? If not, how about another power hitter? Leonard Cole, Glenville.

Hey, Leonard: I’d take a reliever (somebody to replace Bryan Shaw and/or Joe Smith) or a hitter before a starting pitcher.

Will Ryan Merritt have spot with Indians in 2018?
Hey, Hoynsie: Where does Ryan Merritt stand heading into the 2018 season and why hasn’t he been given a real chance in the rotation? Although his time in the big leagues has been limited, he’s been impressive. I love Terry Francona, but I will never get over why he didn’t Merritt a shot in the 2016 World Series instead of Trevor Bauer, who clearly wasn’t right. – Scott Heritage, Scottsdale, Ariz.

Hey, Scott: Merritt will go to spring training out of minor-league options. It means he must make the 25-man roster or get exposed to waivers. The reason he hasn’t received more of a chance in the rotation is because there are better pitchers in front of him.

The Tribe's rotation had the best ERA in the big leagues last year and right now they're all scheduled to be back in 2018. The Indians could use Merritt in a trade this winter or they could open the season with him in the bullpen. Unless there is an injury or a trade, I don’t see how he makes the opening day rotation.

Carl Willis, former Boston pitching coach, has been hired by the Indians to replace departed Mickey Callaway. (Charles Krupa, Associated Press).

How will Tribe pitchers fare after Mickey Callaway's exit?
Hey, Hoynsie: How will the pitching staff react to Mickey Callaway going to the Mets as their manager? -- Banda, Solon.

Hey, Banda: The Indians and their pitching staff are going to miss Callaway. He had a lot of success in his five years in Cleveland. New pitching coach Carl Willis has a good resume as well. He started in Cleveland as Eric Wedge’s pitching coach from 2003-09. He also coached in Seattle and Boston.

Willis has coached four Cy Young winners: CC Sabathia, Cliff Lee, Felix Hernandez and Rick Porcello. He worked for the Indians as a special assistant in 2014 and opened 2015 at their Class AAA pitching coach before John Farrell hired him in Boston. So he has a working knowledge of the Tribe’s staff.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

"Tribe Boasts Formidable Lineup, from Top to Bottom" says MLB.com

The Indians return a strong lineup, but there's one noticeable difference compared to last year: Instead of Carlos Santana, who signed a three-year deal with the Phillies, it'll be Yonder Alonso at first base. Alonso signed a two-year deal with Cleveland in December.
Alonso is coming off the best season of his career, belting 28 home runs and driving in 67 runs in 2017. He'll help fill the Santana void in the Tribe's balanced lineup.

LINEUP IF SEASON STARTED TODAY
Francisco Lindor, SS
Jason Kipnis, 2B
Jose Ramirez, 3B
Edwin Encarnacion, DH
Michael Brantley, LF
Yonder Alonso, 1B
Roberto Perez, C
Lonnie Chisenhall, RF
Bradley Zimmer, CF

STRENGTH
Top to bottom, the Indians have one of the most balanced lineups in baseball, with proven production. They posted the second-highest OPS in the Majors in their 102-win season in 2017.
[Balanced? that lineup includes 5 left-handed hitters, 2 righties, and a pair of switch hitters
Proven? Kipnis was bad 2017; Alonso has had only one strong season; Chisenhall has never had a solid full year; Zimmer sure can catch the ball, run and throw, but offense is unproved; Brantley has about 400 at bats over the past two seasons; Perez is not proven offensively

QUESTION MARK
How healthy is Brantley? It's a question that has been uttered plenty of times over the past few seasons. The verdict is still out on whether he will be ready by Opening Day after having surgery in October on his right ankle. Brantley was an All-Star last year, but the injury limited him to 90 games.

WHAT MIGHT CHANGE
Manager Terry Francona will have to decide whether Ramirez will play second or third base. That decision could impact Kipnis, who has been at second for most of his career but is now being considered for the outfield. If Kipnis is moved to the outfield and Brantley is healthy, how will that affect the position shuffle?

On the pitching, I have less to question:

"Kluber headlines Impressive Rotation"

CLEVELAND -- The Indians' rotation set records last year and the team has the ability to return with the entire staff intact. That is a big reason behind Cleveland's continued confidence in remaining atop the American League Central, even after some key losses in free agency this offseason.
"It's an area of strength with our team and it's been a big part of our success," said Indians president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti.

Led by two-time AL Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber, the Tribe's rotation set single-season Modern Era (since 1900) records in 2017 for strikeouts (1,066), strikeouts per nine innings (10.1) and strikeout rate (27.5 percent), while establishing an AL record for strikeout-to-walk ratio (4.2). That is more than a solid foundation to have in place heading into the '18 campaign.

MLB.com is taking a look at the projected rotation of all 30 teams ahead of Spring Training. Here's how the Indians might stack up:

ROTATION IF SEASON STARTED TODAY
1. Corey Kluber
2. Carlos Carrasco
3. Trevor Bauer
4. Josh Tomlin
5. Danny Salazar

STRENGTH
The Indians' staff boasts a mix of power and precision. Over the past five years combined, for example, Cleveland pitchers not only paced the AL in strikeouts (7,248), but in fewest pitches per inning (16.1). The rotation, which also has a viable option in righty Mike Clevinger, excels at getting ahead and then using some of baseball's best out pitches for strikeout counts. Not many teams have a true ace like the Indians do in Kluber, and the Indians arguably have two with Carrasco in the fold, too. Kluber (first) and Carrasco (fourth) were both AL Cy Young contenders last season.

QUESTION MARK
The final two spots are a big unknown as things stand. If everyone is healty, one of Tomlin, Salazar or Clevinger will likely wind up in the Opening Day bullpen. Tomlin does not have overpowering stuff, so he seems like a better fit for the rotation. Salazar has a potentially elite arm, but injuries have hindered his ceiling over the past two years. Clevinger is an up-and-coming arm that took a big step forward as a starter last year. If one of them head to the 'pen, that could be a tough conversation for manager Terry Francona at the end of the spring.

WHAT MIGHT CHANGE
If the Indians want to make any more significant changes to their projected Opening Day roster, the team will likely have to make a play in the trade market. Given Salazar's last two turbulent seasons, plus his potential and years of control (through 2020), the hard-throwing right-hander is a prime trade chip. Losing Salazar would be a big blow to the depth of the Tribe's rotation, but it could also solve the issue at the back end of the staff, while also helping the Indians upgrade another aspect of the roster.

today MLB.com comments on bullpens

"Allen, Miller will anchor bullpen while younger arms step up"

CLEVELAND -- Continuity has been a trademark of the Indians' bullpen since Terry Francona came on board as manager five seasons ago. Every year, Francona could pick up the phone in the late innings and call upon either Cody Allen or Bryan Shaw. Things will be different now.

Allen is still in the fold, as is relief ace Andrew Miller, but Shaw departed for the Rockies in free agency and left a big hole in Cleveland's bullpen. That will likely lead to more mixing and matching in 2018 for Francona, whose bullpen paced the Majors in ERA (2.89) last year. The manager is quick to point out that even with Shaw gone, the bulk of the Tribe 'pen remains intact.

"We have some good guys in place," Francona said during the Winter Meetings last month. "We've got Cody and Andrew that have done it and have been terrific, and guys like [Dan] Otero that are sort of under the radar, Zach McAllister. We have guys that can do it."

• 2018 previews: Lineup | Rotation

MLB.com is taking a look at the projected bullpen of all 30 teams ahead of Spring Training. Here's how the Indians might stack up:

BULLPEN IF SEASON STARTED TODAY
Cody Allen (closer)
Andrew Miller
Dan Otero
Zach McAllister
Nick Goody
Tyler Olson
Mike Clevinger

STRENGTH
Allen and Miller are unquestionably one of the best late-innings duos in baseball. Over the past five seasons, Allen has posted a 2.59 ERA with 11.9 strikeouts per nine innings and 122 saves in 359 appearances for the Indians. Over that same span, Miller has a 1.82 ERA with 14.2 strikeouts per nine in 297 outings. In a season and a half with Cleveland, Miller has a 1.47 ERA in 83 regular-season games. The rest of the 'pen will have a slightly different look, but Allen and Miller will continue to anchor the relief corps

QUESTION MARK
During the past five seasons under Francona, Shaw averaged 72 innings and 76 appearances as Allen's primary setup man. Francona has quipped a few times this offseason that it might take two pitchers to carry the load that Shaw did for the Indians. How the manager will handle his absence (along with the departure of Joe Smith in free agency) will be under the microscope early in the season. Most likely, there will be more high-leverage exposure for Otero, McAllister, Goody and Olson.

WHAT MIGHT CHANGE
As noted in Tuesday's examination of the rotation, one of the Tribe's starters may wind up in the 'pen. If Danny Salazar and Josh Tomlin make the Opening Day rotation, Clevinger could open the season as a reliever. The same goes for one of the other two, if Clevinger cracks the initial starting staff. There is also a chance that the Indians dangle Salazar in trade discussions in an effort to strengthen another aspect of the roster. Cleveland might also look to acquire a more experienced reliever before the season begins, creating a ripple effect for the rest of the bullpen.

Cleveland is also facing a tricky situation with lefty Ryan Merritt, who is seventh on the rotation depth chart. Merritt is heading into Spring Training with no Minor League options. If the rotation avoids injuries this spring and no transactions impact its order, Merritt would either be a candidate for the bullpen or a trade. It's also worth noting that Francona has carried an eight-man bullpen multiple times over the past few years, and that Cleveland will have a handful of non-roster relievers vying for a job during Spring Training.

Fifteen free agents who could help the Cleveland Indians in 2018 and not break the bank
By Hoynes

Bargain hunting in a frozen free-agent market

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Yes, Chris Antonetti said the Indians are all but tapped out when it comes to signing free agents after giving $16 million to first baseman Yonder Alonso in December. Still, in the great free-agent freeze of 2017 and 2018, this is a buyer’s market and the Indians have never been one to pass on a good bargain.

We’re not talking Eric Hosmer, J.D. Martinez, Yu Darvish or Jake Arietta here. The same almost assuredly goes for Jay Bruce, Mike Moustakas, Greg Holland and Lorenzo Cain.

But there are still plenty of unsigned free agents who could help in the bullpen and elsewhere. The bullpen is a concern after Bryan Shaw, Joe Smith and Boone Logan departed and Shawn Armstrong was traded. With the recent decision to return Jason Kipnis to second base – providing he isn’t traded or needed in the outfield – things look much more stable on the infield. Jose Ramirez will move back to third and Alonso will replace Carlos Santana.

Still, there is a long way to go before opening day on March 29 in Seattle. If free agents continue to twist in the wind, prices will come down. The Indians could use another right-handed hitter or two to bring to camp to balance the lineup. The rotation looks strong and has depth, but as the old baseball saying goes, “when you think you have enough pitching, get more.”

Here are 15 free agents who could represent good bargains for the Indians in 2018.
No. 1: RHP Peter Moylan

The skinny: Shaw and Moylan, 39, tied for the AL lead in appearances last year with 79. But that’s where the similarities end. Moylan’s job with Kansas City was to get right-handers out, while Shaw was a face-all-comers set-up man. In other words, Moylan isn’t going to sign a three-year, $27 million deal as did Shaw with the Rockies. [39 year old with career 390 major league innings. I've never heard of him, although he must have pitched against us last year.

Zack McAllister is the Tribe’s right-on-right reliever, but there’s probably room for Moylan if the price is right.

No. 2: RHP Matt Albers

The skinny: Albers, 34, has pitched for manager Terry Francona in Boston and Cleveland. He’s coming off a great year with Washington in which he went 7-2 with two saves and a 1.63 ERA in 63 games. Recent reports said Albers was close to signing a two-year deal with an unidentified team, but that hasn’t happened yet. Albers struck out 63 and walked 17 in 61 innings. He averaged 9.3 strikeouts and 2.5 walks per nine innings.

No. 3: Francisco Rodriguez

The skinny: The Indians are looking to build depth for the bullpen so why not bring K-Rod to spring training on a minor-league deal? He was released by the Tigers and Nationals last year, but in 2016 he saved 44 games for the Tigers. Rodriguez, 36, wouldn’t have to close with the Indians, not with Cody Allen available, but he might be able to help in the late innings. He has 437 career saves.

No. 4: OF Jose Bautista

The skinny: If the Indians aren’t sold on Melvin Upton being the next Austin Jackson/Rajai Davis, how about bringing Bautista, 37, to camp for a look? They were linked to him last winter, but he re-signed with Toronto and struggled. He set career highs in games played and at-bats, but hit just .203 and set a career high with 170 strikeouts. Bautista, like Upton, is a right-handed hitter. He played right field and first and third base last season. That probably gives Upton an edge because he can still play center to give Bradley Zimmer a break now and then.

No. 5: RHP Koji Uehara

The skinny: Uehara, a former closer with Boston, went 3-4 with two saves and a 3.98 ERA in 49 games for the Cubs last season. He did not pitch in the postseason last year because of a neck injury. Right-handers hit .217 against him and lefties hit .250. Uehara, 42, averaged 10.5 strikeouts and 2.5 walks per nine innings.
[I'll take him

No. 6: UT Eduardo Nunez

The skinny: The Indians tried to trade for the versatile Nunez, 30, last year, but the Giants sent him to Boston. He injured his right knee late in the season and re-injured it in Game 1 of the ALDS against Houston. He missed the rest of the series, but reportedly does not need surgery on the knee.

Nunez, a right-handed hitter, hit .313 (145-for-467) with 12 homers, 48 RBI and an .801 OPS for the Giants and Red Sox. He stole 24 bases in 31 attempts. Nunez played third base, second base, shortstop, left field, right field and DH last year.

No. 7: 1B-3B Todd Frazier

The skinny: The Indians tried to get Frazier, 31, from the Reds before the 2016 season, but he was sent to the White Sox. They talked to his representatives this winter, but he wants a multiyear contract and the Indians were more interested in a one-year deal.
The right-handed hitting Frazier hit .213 (101-for-474) with 27 homers and 76 RBI last year for the White Sox and Yankees. Right now, it’s hard to see where he’d fit with the Tribe. They have Alonso at first, Kipnis at second and Ramirez at third. But it’s still January and a lot of things can change.
No thank you

No.8: RHP Jason Grilli

The skinny: The veteran right-hander did not have a good season last year. He went 2-5 with a 6.30 ERA pitching for Toronto and Texas. His strikeout to walk numbers (48 to 18) were good, but he allowed 46 hits, including 12 homers, in 40 innings.
Grilli, 42, is two years removed from a solid season with Toronto and Atlanta in which he averaged 12.4 strikeouts and 4.9 walks per nine innings.
I decline

No.9: RHP Trevor Rosenthal

The skinny: The Cardinals released Rosenthal, 27, last year after he injured his right elbow and underwent Tommy John surgery in August. He’s expected to miss all of 2018.

Rosenthal, until struggling in 2016 and 2017, was one of the top closers in baseball. He saved 93 games in 2014 and 2015. Allen, the Tribe’s durable closer, is eligible for free agency after the 2018 season. The Indians have a good reputation for rehabbing pitchers from Tommy John surgery. So maybe they'd take a chance on Rosenthal with an eye to the future. Before he was injured last year, Rosenthal went 3-4 with 11 saves and a 3.40 ERA in 50 games. He struck out 76 batters in 47 2/3 innings.

No. 10: LHP Brian Duensing

The skinny: The Indians have two good lefties in Andrew Miller and Tyler Olson, but there's always room for one more, right? Duensing, 32, is coming off a good year with the Cubs in which he showed reverse splits, holding right-handers to a .237 (33-for-139) batting average, while lefties hit .258 (25-for-97) against him. Duensing, who spent seven years with the Twins, is familiar to the Indians. Last year he went 1-1 with a 2.74 ERA in 68 games for the Cubs.

No. 11: RHP David Hernandez

The skinny: For so long Hernandez, 32, struggled with his control, but after Arizona moved him to the bullpen fulltime in 2011, he threw a lot more strikes. Hernandez started last year with the Giants, but was cut in spring training. Atlanta signed him, but traded him to the Angels. The Angels traded him to Arizona for the stretch run. Hernandez went 3-1 with two saves and a 3.11 ERA in 55 innings. He had reverse splits, holding lefties to a .200 (17-for-85) average, while righties hit .267 (31-for-116). He made just over the minimum last year.

No. 12: OF Carlos Gomez

The skinny: Gomez, a right-handed hitter, could fit well with Zimmer in center field. He made $11.5 million last year with Texas on a one-year deal. Just a guess, but that’s would probably be too pricey for the Tribe. Gomez, 32, hit .255 (94-for-368) with 17 homers, 51 RBI and a .802 OPS. He played only 105 games, facing mostly right-handed pitching. His career splits don't show any real improvement vs. lefties, but he does have some power.

No. 13: RHP Tyler Clippard, 32.

The skinny: Clippard pitched for the Yankees, White Sox and Astros last year. After an impressive seven-year run with the Nationals, he’s pitched for six teams in the last three years. Last year Clippard, 32, struggled with the Yankees, pitched well with the White Sox, and struggled again with the Astros. He did not pitch in the postseason for Houston.

No.14: RHP Matt Belisle

The skinny: Belisle, 37, has pitched 14 years in the big leagues, but last year was his first in the AL. He went 2-2 with nine saves and a 4.03 ERA in 62 games for the Twins. He struck out 54, walked 22 and turned out to be a good signing by Derek Falvey, the Twins chief baseball officer, for just over $2 million. Belisle showed reverse splits, holding lefties to a .162 (12-for-74) batting average. Righties hit .247 (36-for-146) against him.

No. 15: LHP Tony Watson

The skinny: True, the Tribe lost Shaw, but how about bringing in the left-handed version of Shaw? Over the last five years, Shaw leads the big leagues with 378 appearances, while Watson ranks second with 363. Over the last four years, Watson has made at least 70 appearances per season.
Watson, 32, went 7-4 with 10 saves and a 3.38 ERA in 71 appearances for the Pirates and Dodgers. He made 11 more in the postseason for Los Angeles, including five scoreless appearances in the World Series. Watson made $5.6 million last year and is probably up for a multiyear deal.

The Indians have two gifted lefties in Miller and Olson, but Miller can be a free agent at the end of the 2018 season. If that is the case, and Watson’s asking price doesn’t skyrocket, the Indians could help themselves in 2018 and beyond.

Cleveland Indians not lost losing Jay Bruce -- Terry's Talkin' (photos)

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer terrypluto2003@yahoo.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- I would have loved for the Cleveland Indians to sign Jay Bruce. I preferred him over Carlos Santana because Bruce can play right field. Santana is basically a first baseman who can play the outfield in an emergency.

As of the weekend, Santana's three-year, $60 million deal with the Philadelphia Phillies remains the largest contract signed by a free agent so far this winter. Next comes Bruce's three-year, $39 million deal with the New York Mets. Bruce was originally looking for five years in the $75 million range.

The Indians will never admit it, but the quick exit from the playoffs has had an impact on this season's payroll. Blowing the 2-0 lead against the New York Yankees in the best-of-five American League Division Series meant the season ended on a downer.

That has hurt off-season ticket sales. The Indians are ahead of a year ago, but it's not the tidal wave of enthusiasm that could have come from a deep playoff run. They had built momentum during the 22-game winning streak leading to a 102-60 final record.

The Tribe's 2018 payroll is projected to be in the $130 million range, an all-time high for the franchise. They project it to be about 17th in the majors.

This is how the Indians view their payroll situation.

1. Some fans wondered why Michael Brantley's $11 million option for 2018 was picked up. He made the 2017 All-Star team, but played only 24 games after the All-Star break. He is coming off major ankle surgery.

2. For the Indians, the key is Brantley's deal is one year. He also is a relentless worker and they believe he can make a comeback. If he has a huge 2018 season, they can offer him a qualifying offer for 2019. If he rejects it, the Indians receive a draft pick.

3. When the Indians signed Edwin Encarnacion last winter, they knew he'd be a big part of their free agent investment for a few years. In 2017, Encarnacion made $14.7 million. This season, it's $18.7 million. In 2019, it's $22 million and he has $5 million guaranteed in 2020 based on a $20 million salary.

4. Encarnacion's contract just keeps rising, as do the deals for some other players. His contract is one of the reasons the Indians are staying away from long-term commitments to many players.

5. Corey Kluber's deal rose from $8 million in 2017 to $10.7 million in 2018. It's $13.2 million in 2019.

6. Carlos Carrasco went from $6.5 million in 2017 to $8 million in 2018.

7. Jason Kipnis went from $9.2 million in 2017 to $13.7 million (2018) and to $14.7 million in 2019.

8. Cody Allen went from $7.3 million in 2017 to $10.7 million in 2018.

9. Yan Gomes, Jose Ramirez, Josh Tomlin and Roberto Perez all have raises built into their contracts.

10. The Tribe signed free agent first baseman Yonder Alonso to a two-year, $16 million deal.

11. I know, we can play the numbers game. Santana's $12 million is off the books. So is the $3.6 million they paid when adding Bruce last August. But the point is their decision to sign younger players to long-term deals leads to higher salaries in the final years of their contracts.

ABOUT THE PITCHING

The Indians correctly believe pitching is what makes them a contender in the American League. That's why they worked so hard to sign their key pitchers.

I also think it's hard to make a good argument against putting a premium on pitching. Here's how it breaks down:

1. Had Carlos Carrasco not signed his four-year, $22 million extension in 2015, he would have been a free agent right now. He had an 18-6 record and 3.29 ERA. Who knows what Carrasco would command on the free agent market. Odds are, the Indians could never afford him.

2. Instead, Carrasco is under contract for $8 million in 2018. The Indians also have team options for him in 2019 ($9 million) and 2020 ($9.5 million).

3. Corey Kluber could have been heading into his free agent season with two Cy Young awards next to his name. Instead, the Indians signed Kluber to a five-year, $38 million deal before the 2015 season. They have him signed up through 2019, with team options in 2020 and 2021.

4. When the Indians traded for Andrew Miller on July 30, 2017, they took on his $9 million annual contract through 2018.

5. Cody Allen signed a $10.7 million deal to avoid arbitration. So the Indians have nearly $20 million tied up in two top relievers.

6. The bullpen market keeps rising as Bryan Shaw signed a three-year, $27 million deal with the Colorado Rockies.

7. The Indians have Trevor Bauer under team control until after the 2020 season, as is Danny Salazar.

8. They have Mike Clevinger under team control through 2022. I'd try to sign Clevinger to an extension.

9. The Indians can lose Josh Tomlin, Miller and Allen after this season. But their key starters remain under control -- and the starting rotation is what can keep them in contention for the next few years.

BIG TRIBE POINTS

1. If the pitching staff remains one the best in baseball, the Indians will contend. There are question marks. Pitching coach Mickey Callaway is now the Mets' manager. Pitchers get hurt and slump. But any team in baseball would love to have the collection of arms who will be wearing Wahoo red, white and blue in 2018.

2. The Central Division is not strong. The Indians will be favored to win it for the third year in a row. As the Tribe showed in 2016 with its injured pitching staff, if you can make the playoffs you can reach the World Series by getting hot at the right time.

3. It's not just me saying the Indians are still a prime-time team. ESPN's Buster Olney ranks the Tribe as the best team in baseball in his early 2018 projections. That's right, No. 1 even without Bruce and Santana.

4. I'm not riding that high. But Olney's key points are "still the safest bet to get to October with Francisco Lindor, Jose Ramirez, Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco, Andrew Miller, et al."

5. When looking at the Tribe, it's easy to dwell on what they have lost -- Bruce, Santana, Shaw and Joe Smith. Their only real additions have been Melvin Upton and Yonder Alonzo. But I remain intrigued by Yandy Diaz and believe he'll hit his way into the lineup somewhere.

6. Speaking of extensions, the Indians were very wise to sign Jose Ramirez to a five-year, $26 million option last spring with team options for 2022 and 2023.

7. I still think the Indians could make a significant trade. The waiting game for several big name free agents to pick a team has stalled the trade market. That could change in a few weeks.

He would be a perfect fit:

Josh Harrison Trade Rumors: Pirates IF Wants Move After Andrew McCutchen Deal

ADAM WELLS
JANUARY 16, 2018

Pittsburgh Pirates utility man Josh Harrison would like to be traded if the team is going to go through a rebuilding process.

In a statement issued to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, Harrison cited comments made by Pirates general manager Neal Huntington as his rationale for wanting to be dealt:

"My passion for Pittsburgh, what it has MEANT to me, what it MEANS to me, can never be questioned. I love this city, I love the fans, I love my teammates. Saying that, the GM is on record as saying, 'When we get back to postseason-caliber baseball, we would love our fans to come back out.' If indeed the team does not expect to contend this year or next, perhaps it would be better for all involved, that I also am traded. I want what is best for the organization that gave me a chance to be a Big Leaguer."

Harrison's comments come after the Pirates traded starting pitcher Gerrit Cole to the Houston Astros on Saturday and sent outfielder Andrew McCutchen to the San Francisco Giants on Monday.

Harrison has one guaranteed year remaining on the four-year deal he signed in 2015, though it also includes two team options worth a combined $22 million, per Spotrac.

After making three straight playoff appearances from 2013 to 2015, the Pirates have gone 153-170 over the past two seasons. McCutchen was entering the final season of his contract in 2018, and Cole had two more years of team control.

Harrison hit a career-high 16 home runs in 2017 despite missing 34 games, the final 26 of the season due to a broken hand. The 30-year-old has played every position except catcher, first base and center field in his seven-year MLB career.