Re: General Discussion

J.R. wrote:Paul Hoynes
2 hrs ·
Twitter
·

Antonetti made it sound like Alonso signing was the Tribe's big-free agent move of the winter.
And EE was signed late January last year.

That said, even if they ONLY now use the $5 million they saved on Alonso over Santana (last year salary) for a player that might be someone who definitely could make an impact.

So I think they are far from done - whether they spread it out or land a big(ger) guy - and I still think they are waiting out the market (S.F.) on Bruce.

Certainly could see the desperate Giants making a play on Bruce too - the industry sort of expects that.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Jason Kipnis - 2B - Indians

Indians' general manager Chris Antonetti said Saturday that Jason Kipnis could be a contingency option in left field if Michael Brantley (shoulder) isn't ready for the start of the 2018 season.

Antonetti added that he still needs to talk to Kipnis about possible position plans for him heading into next season. The veteran infielder has also been a popular name in trade rumors, with the Mets seemingly the most interested in acquiring his services.

Source: Jordan Bastian on TwitterDec
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Dump Kipnis and his salary.

That's the key to being able to improve this team.

Use the money and their excess starting pitching to get Manny Machado.

Re-sign Bruce or another outfield thumper.

Window for a WS victory is getting smaller. Time to go for it.

Money shouldn't be a problem. I assume all MLB teams got a big tax cut and windfall from the Disney deal.

Take the thumbs out of your ass and upgrade this team!

seagull wrote:Dump Kipnis and his salary.

Money shouldn't be a problem. I assume all MLB teams got a big tax cut and windfall from the Disney deal.

LOL Seagull tell us what you really think!

That said, to me the first 2 lines seemed to contradict the rest.

I think Antonetti's statement about Alonso taking up the majority of their extra cash is truthful. He wasn't ruling out another impactful addition because - yes - the clearing of extra salary aka Kipnis could either bring back a player of value OR free up salary space to add someone in another way.

So I'll go on a little rant myself here.

The Cleveland Indians' organization is one of the top in baseball. Here's why:

1. They have amazing young talent locked up for quite a few years. This is unique in the game and only the other highly successful teams can say that

2. Unlike some of those other top teams (like Cubs and Astros) they NEVER engaged in a total tear down where only kids played. Instead they went out and found a top manager and gave him players to work with. Since Tito has been here, they have been amazingly consistent and the last 2 years they have been top drawer.

3. The Indians finished #22 in total attendance http://proxy.espn.com/mlb/attendance
They finished behind Minnesota for God's sake. We know darn well that their tv market isn't threatening the big market teams by a long shot. So they have to be smart in how they spend or you end up with a Miami Marlins fiasco where they spent way way more than the market supported and still sucked - then sold off forcing new ownership to take the fall for it.

If you don't believe me watch MLB Network...listen to Sirius XM MLB radio. Those are objective (no allegiance to any teams) national commentators and players. Heard it over and over the Indians are run damn, damn well. As well, take a look at the front office kids who got offers to go elsewhere (Minnesota, Arizona) and took people with them. The Indians have a way of doing things that simply works - without a teardown - competing at the top level of the game.

Bottom line those guys are not perfect but they know far, far more than any fan and have done a remarkable job of keeping the Indians at the elite level of MLB - as Brian Kenny would call it the Premier League of baseball. Without a Philly/Miami/Detroit/White Sox/Royals/Tampa/Cincy/Minnesota/Pittsburgh/Atlanta (yes, there is this many total teardowns into 60 win teams and I am probably missing some).

It's indisputable that what they have done is top drawer. Only slander (lack of reason and judgement in emotional outburst) can argue that.

TFIR wrote:
seagull wrote:Dump Kipnis and his salary.

LOL Seagull tell us what you really think!

That said, to me the first 2 lines seemed to contradict the rest.

I think Antonetti's statement about Alonso taking up the majority of their extra cash is truthful. He wasn't ruling out another impactful addition because - yes - the clearing of extra salary aka Kipnis could either bring back a player of value OR free up salary space to add someone in another way.

So I'll go on a little rant myself here.

The Cleveland Indians' organization is one of the top in baseball. Here's why:

1. They have amazing young talent locked up for quite a few years. This is unique in the game and only the other highly successful teams can say that

2. Unlike some of those other top teams (like Cubs and Astros) they NEVER engaged in a total tear down where only kids played. Instead they went out and found a top manager and gave him players to work with. Since Tito has been here, they have been amazingly consistent and the last 2 years they have been top drawer.

3. The Indians finished #22 in total attendance http://proxy.espn.com/mlb/attendance
They finished behind Minnesota for God's sake. We know darn well that their tv market isn't threatening the big market teams by a long shot. So they have to be smart in how they spend or you end up with a Miami Marlins fiasco where they spent way way more than the market supported and still sucked - then sold off forcing new ownership to take the fall for it.

If you don't believe me watch MLB Network...listen to Sirius XM MLB radio. Those are objective (no allegiance to any teams) national commentators and players. Heard it over and over the Indians are run damn, damn well. As well, take a look at the front office kids who got offers to go elsewhere (Minnesota, Arizona) and took people with them. The Indians have a way of doing things that simply works - without a teardown - competing at the top level of the game.

Bottom line those guys are not perfect but they know far, far more than any fan and have done a remarkable job of keeping the Indians at the elite level of MLB - as Brian Kenny would call it the Premier League of baseball. Without a Philly/Miami/Detroit/White Sox/Royals/Tampa/Cincy/Minnesota/Pittsburgh/Atlanta (yes, there is this many total teardowns into 60 win teams and I am probably missing some).

It's indisputable that what they have done is top drawer. Only slander (lack of reason and judgement in emotional outburst) can argue that.
I agree the FO and the coaching staff has done a great job positioning the team for a WS victory. Kicking Shapiro upstairs was the key.

What I want to see just hasn't happened yet.

I'm just an old frustrated fan waiting for some moves that improve this team.

I don't think they can stand pat and hope for miracles.

It's not my money so I want them to not be so locked into a budget that it prevents them from improving when they have an opportunity.

Long way till next October.

Go Tribe

I think that they showed with EE last year that if a unique opportunity comes along they will be ready and able.

That took extreme patience on their end though and wisely so.