Re: General Discussion

Before 2017 there's nothing at all in Alonso's stats that is impressive.

2016: 253/316/367
2015: 281/361/381
2014: 240/285/397
2013: 281/341/368
2012: 273/348/393

If his new approach works, he's useful at least against righties; his splits vs. left-handers were lousy. Only had 80 plate appearances against lefties and his line was 181/263/417. He needs a RH platoon partner. That can be Encarnacion; with some other right handed bat [Guyer?] at DH when EE is at 1st.

He may not make opening day roster, Rusty. But he may do fine for what they ask of him.

Austin Jackson hit .254 with .318 OBP year before joining us.

Rajai Davis only hit .258 with .306 OBP year before joining us. But he hit .284 against lefties that year.

Upton's slash line across the board is higher against lefties. So maybe in a limited platoon roll with Zimmer he will be OK.

And they are not committed to him anyways.

Santana made $12 million last season and Alonso only will make $8 million. And only committed for 2 years.

That's why I think they are not done. Yonder had to come first so they knew what their payroll would be first.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

The older I get, the more impatient I am.

Like the Alonso signing but "Where's the Beef".

I want improvement not just trying to replace what we lost.

How about trying to build a team that can close a series when you are way ahead.

They may coast to another AL Central title because of the competition, not because they got better.

Make the Indians Great Again.

Launch angle. The new buzz words.

So watching MLB Now and they show a chart of who increased their launch angle the most from 2016 to 2017 seasons.

Not all that surprising, Alonso was actually #1. Added 9%i to his launch angle.

But get this - guess who was 3rd in all MLB in launch angle increase? Adding 6% it was Francisco Lindor.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Yonder Alonso - 1B - Indians

Indians signed 1B Yonder Alonso to a two-year, $16 million contract.

Alonso will earn $7 million in 2018 and $8 million in 2019. The deal also includes an $8 million vesting option for 2019 ($1 million buyout). The 31-year-old slugger will replace Carlos Santana who departed via free agency to join the Phillies.

While Progressive Field isn't exactly a hitter's haven for left-handed power, it's an upgrade from the Oakland Coliseum and Safeco Field where he played his home games in 2017.