Re: General Discussion

This is the kind of guy who would be a typical pickup and a good fit at 1B alternating with EE:

Matt Adams - 1B - Braves

According to Buster Olney of ESPN, the Braves are shopping Matt Adams to other teams in advance of Friday's non-tender deadline.

It's no surprise, as Adams doesn't fit with the Braves with Freddie Freeman at first base. The 29-year-old struggled with limited exposure in the outfield. The Braves could find a market for him after he batted .274 with 20 homers and an .841 OPS over 131 games this past season. He made $2.8 million in 2017 and is under team control for one more year.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Can't imagine will accept a team discount. No reason why he should. He does offer his near-gold glove defense and his years of consistent performance. Never heard of this Adams before, but I don't know National Leaguers in general, but his offensive stats are good. Does he walk? Can he field?

Crockett, sure, He's a decent lefty vs lefty, although not as good as hoped.
Baker: really??? He must have talent or the Indians wouldn't have put on the roster over 2 winters, but he has pitched hardly at all and certainly isn't ready to pitch a full season in the majors now. I thought the draft was in December. The winter is apparently speeding up on me.

NOTE: I THINK YOU GOT A LITTLE AHEAD OF YOURSELF, HERE'S WHAT I FOUND:

"the Rule 5 Draft on Dec. 14 at the Winter Meetings in Orlando."

civ ollilavad wrote:Crockett, sure, He's a decent lefty vs lefty, although not as good as hoped.
Baker: really??? He must have talent or the Indians wouldn't have put on the roster over 2 winters, but he has pitched hardly at all and certainly isn't ready to pitch a full season in the majors now. I thought the draft was in December. The winter is apparently speeding up on me.

NOTE: I THINK YOU GOT A LITTLE AHEAD OF YOURSELF, HERE'S WHAT I FOUND:

"the Rule 5 Draft on Dec. 14 at the Winter Meetings in Orlando."

I should have said Waivers:

Reds claim lefty reliever Crockett off waivers
For the third time this month, the Reds added a reliever to compete for a spot in their bullpen in 2018. Left-hander Kyle Crockett was claimed off of waivers from the Indians on Monday.

Crew claims Baker off waivers; roster set at 40
The Brewers claimed oft-injured right-hander Dylan Baker off waivers from the Indians on Monday, pushing Milwaukee's 40-man roster to capacity
UD

civ ollilavad wrote:answer is, no Adams doesn't walk, so his OBP is not much, .319 this year, 315 for his career; but has good power .543 SLG this year, .469 for career is not so great and this year's is far above his production the previous three years so may be an anomaly?
Hey civ thanks for the interest. Ok, the story on Adams is he was stuck in a logjam in St Louis as a younger player. Everyone knew he could hit, but between some injuries and the glut there, he never got consistent at bats and he's not athletic enough to be a good outfielder.

Knowing this, when Freddie Freeman went down, Atlanta grabbed him for their 1B vacancy. (I then picked him up in fantasy, knowing this was his chance). Getting regular at bats, he hit like he was capable. Hell, Freddie Freeman even slid over to 3B to accomodate. But Freeman couldn't cut it there - so back to 1B for stud Freeman with Adams the odd man out again.

Translation - the guy is cut out for the American league. In Cleveland he could 1B/DH which would be perfect.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

One more thing, remember John Hart runs things in Atlanta. He must have liked Adams.

Pretty sure we have some guys in the front office who are good friends of Hart. :lol: