Re: Winter/Fall/Latin/Asian/World Ball

VENEZUELAN LEAGUE

Yandy Diaz - (Leones del Caracas, 3B) - 0-1, 3 BB - Diaz continues to be an on-base machine as he recorded three walks in his latest game. It's encouraging to see him draw walks as that is something that he has done consistently throughout his career in the Cleveland Indians' farm system. If he can start carrying that over to the big leagues, that would optimize his chances to stick in Cleveland next season.

DOMINICAN LEAGUE (LIDOM)

Henry Martinez (Leones del Escogido, RP) - 1.0 IP, perfect, 1 K - The righty continued his strong start in the winter league as he pitched a flawless inning of relief. His numbers for the Dominican League now show him to spot a 3-1 record over 15.1 innings of relief work and has punched out 11 batters while walking only three which is a pretty good ratio.

Erik Gonzalez (Leones del Escogido, SS) - 0-3, 1 SO - The utility player continues to have a slow start to the winter season. After going hitless on Wednesday, he now owns a .150/.217/.150 batting average with seven strikeouts in six games of action. He still is struggling to get it going after six games of action.

Patrick McCoy - (Toros del Este, RP) - 1.0 IP, perfect - The former Cleveland Indians minor league pitcher is also enjoying a strong start. He tossed a perfect frame of relief and now has given up only one earned run seven games and has especially made life difficult on right-handed batters.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

OF INTEREST

Ronny Rodríguez banged out his 100th and 101st hits with the Aguilas Cibaenas when he went 2-4 earlier in the week, with one RBI and another run scored.

Jesus Aguilar, who has been hard at work, was interviewed on the eve of his debut to shore up the offense of the team,says he's ready.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Son of Fidel Castro launches version of street baseball

Cuba's "Baseball Five", a project promoted by Tony Castro, son of the late Cuban leader, begins in Cuba

Havana, Cuba -

Antonio "Tony" Castro is one of the main figures of international federative baseball. Although he does not play the sport, he is a fundamental player in the development of baseball in Cuba and internationally, since he has been active for years behind the scenes.

For that reason, it is not strange that the son of the deceased leader of the Cuban Revolution, Fidel Castro Ruz, has embarked on a very particular crusade, with the support of the World Baseball and Softball Confederation (WCBS) announced today, Thursday, the creation of a form of street baseball that hopes to serve to promote the game globally, especially among youth.

"I think it's a great idea to get this sport to shine among young people from all over the world, who see in this variant an exciting, dynamic and easy to play sport. It's potential is incredible, the demands of resources are minimal and the possibilities are infinite, "commented Castro to El Nuevo Día, a by profession, who on several occasions has served as a physician for the National Baseball Teams of his country.

Tony Castro stressed that his father, who, Saturday, November 25 commemorates a year since his death, would have loved a project like this.

"He would have been fascinated by this idea, because as you can see, the potential of this game makes many people in the town happy, especially the children. The game contributes to their health, transmits values ​​such as teamwork, and promotes the practice of sport. Undoubtedly, he would be very happy and he would support the game in every way, "he said.

Dubbed "Baseball Five", the urban variant of the game had its global debut today in Havana.

The "Baseball Five" is an adaptation of a street game practiced in Cuba under the name of "Four Corners", in which four players participate. There is "batting" - only towards a half of the court - a rubber ball using the hand and bases.

The new idea involves the participation of five players, the "batting" is free within the limits of the whole court, the bases are run and five innings are played.

The rules are quite similar between the "Baseball Five" and the Four Corners, although according to the organizers, as the modality is extended, it will be in constant evolution, and they are open to incorporate some feasible suggestions that arise on the fly.

"The main objective of this project is the globalization of baseball, increase their bond with the youngest in the world, you might see the original version as difficult to understand, and now, with this simpler version, may feel more familiar and be encouraged to practice it, "said Italian Ricardo Fraccari , president of WCBS and also present at the worldwide debut of" Baseball Five ".

The new proposal has aroused enthusiasm among young Cubans. Just before jumping into the field with his teammates, the young Arlys Alfredo Arruebarruena considered that this method will become popular among many Cubans.

"This is going to catch on with a lot of people, because it's a kind of reduced baseball, and although soccer is gaining ground right now, baseball is our national sport. It's also very dynamic and that's what young people like, "said this mechanical engineering student at the country's most important technology university and captain of the team that represented that center in today's exhibition.

The activity was carried out in areas surrounding the legendary Latin American Stadium in Havana, where the field was located for the development of an exhibition tournament between teams of both sexes, some of them made up of children and others by young people. Little by little, the place was arriving public, some attracted by the beauty and design of the court, others by music, but all impressed by the dimension that had been given to their traditional street game.

"This idea has several advantages. There are no age limits for the game, women can also be play, and even mixed teams can be formed. In addition, it takes place in a very festive atmosphere, in which everyone can enjoy this show, which is what it is about, "argued Fraccari.

From this exhibition in Havana, a promotional video will be made that will be distributed to all the federations that make up the WCBS to promote the game worldwide. According to the federation, talks have already been held with the organizers of the next Youth Olympic Games, which will be held in Buenos Aires, to play some exhibition games there.

"We also aim to create a competitive calendar and include it in some of the variants of competitions designed for urban sports," he said.

Meanwhile, Cuban baseball also expects to make good dividends from this initiative, at a time when its international competitive results and the massiveness of its game have fallen significantly, partly because of the rise won by football in terms of interest by the younger generations.

For Yosvani Aragón, national director of Cuban baseball, that has been chosen to Havana for the debut of Baseball Five is a privilege and, at the same time, an opportunity that must be taken advantage of. "This will be very beneficial for Cuban baseball, because it will contribute to a greater fan base in the game of our sport. I am sure that many children are going to approach baseball more easily, they need much less resources and that helps in a country like ours. If we organize ourselves well we will be on equal terms with football, which is played on the street with a single ball by many young people, "he added.

The expectations of the Cuban director on the success of this project are high and he assured that on the island, institutionally, a strategy to promote the "Baseball Five" is already being designed.

"As the world grows this proposal will appear in international tournaments and we are already thinking about that, designing a strategy to conduct competitions periodically to form an official calendar, at the national level and from the base, in order to have our National teams participate. And as in traditional baseball, we will always aspire to be a reference in the world, "he said.
-- Bob Feller

The Eagles sink the Bulls deeper into the basement to beat them 4 for 2

SANTIAGO.-

The Cibaeñas Eagles defeated the Toros del Este 4-2 last night, behind a solid pitching from Richelson Peña, and the timely batting of Ronny Rodríguez.

The Bulls scored first on a lone run by Raudy Read in the second.

The Eagles responded with a rally of three runs at the bottom of the inning, driven by Francisco Peña with a double and singles by Ronny Rodríguez and Juan Carlos Pérez.

The Eagles scored another in the fourth combining consecutive hits by Danny Santana and Ronny Rodriguez.

The victory was won by Richelson Peña (2-0), and was saved by Josh Judy (4). The defeat went to Marcus Walden.

For the Eagles starter Peña, who had a quality output of 6.0 innings in which he gave up four hits, one run, no walks and struck out six.

He was followed in the box by Wandy Rodríguez (7) Roberto Gómez (7), Richard Rodríguez (8 and Josh Judy, who scored the save (4)

For the Bulls starter Marcus Walden (1-4), allowed three runs, three hits, three walks and struck out three in 1.2 innings. He was replaced by José Valdez (2), Luis Santos (4), Roman Méndez (5), Pat McCoy (7), and Jhan Mariñez (8)

For the Eagles Ronny Rodriguez lead the Eagles with two hits and two RBIs, Francisco Peña a double and one RBI, Jung Ho Kang, Danny Santana and Juan Carlos Perez a single each.

For the Bulls Anderson Felix double and single, Raudy Read a homer and two runs batted in.
-- Bob Feller

VENEZUELAN LEAGUE (LVBP)

Yandy Diaz (Leones del Caracas, 3B) - 0-3, 1 BB, 1 K - Thursday's effort was Diaz's third hitless game in his last four. The other game in that stretch, however, was a three-hit performance, so it doesn't qualify as a mini-slump. Even with four hitless games in nine games played this Venezuelan season, Diaz is still batting .320/.526/.440 with two extra-base hits, three RBI, and a 1:9 K:BB ratio. While he has been impressive with the bat, his plate discipline numbers are even more impressive.

Leonel Campos (Aguilas del Zulia, RP) - H (1), 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K - Campos, who was signed to a minor league contract with a major league spring training invite earlier this week, picked up the hold in his first solid outing of the LVBP campaign following a subpar season debut on Tuesday (four runs, two of them earned, on two hits and two walks in one inning pitched).

Luis Lugo (Cardenales de Lara, RP) - 1.2 IP, 2 BB, 2 K - Lugo continues to help his free agent case as he has six solid outings in seven pitched this winter season. In those six outings, he has allowed only two runs (one earned) on six hits in 9.2 innings with a 5:5 K:BB ratio. His pitching stats are only ballooned up (4.63 ERA and 1.54 WHIP) because he allowed five earned runs on as many hits with two walks and three strikeouts in his other appearance.
-- Bob Feller

Jesús Aguilar will start roaring with Leones

Leones del Caracas owns the second best collective batting average of the season at .290. However, they have only connected on 14 home runs in the season and to seek to improve with that number the coaching staff rostered first baseman Jesus Aguilar.

"I feel pretty good," said Aguilar during practice yesterday just before the game with the Águilas del Zulia. "On Wednesday I had the opportunity to see pitchers as if I were in a game and I felt pretty good. I spoke with the manager and told him that I was ready, maybe one turn in the ninth, but this Thursday I will be in the field ".

Aguilar, who comes from playing his first full season in the Major Leagues with Milwaukee Brewers, did not hide his desire to be on the field to help his teammates.

"I consider myself a 'fiebruo' player. I was already crazy about playing, "said the criollo lugger, who has 43 homers with Leones. "Also, this is a league that has helped me a lot and that is what I am going to say to Milwaukee since playing here allows. Playing here will get me ready for spring training. The teams know that my preparation is different from other players. "

Aguilar began his training with Caracas on Tuesday but said he already feels capable of contributing with his offense, despite not playing since the regular season of the majors ended.

"It's difficult to recover the 'timing' with the swing," said first baseman. "Batting is about having a good 'timimg'. I have been training in Maracay to try to arrive in the best possible condition and I think I am 70 or 75% ready to start playing. "

With the arrival of Aguilar to the team the doubt is generated about his place in the lineup since until the moment the first baseman has been Jesús Guzmán and the designated hitter has been the maracayero Henry "El Pollito" Rodríguez.

"I'm going to fulfill the role that the coaching staff asks me for," said the player who is ready to play defensively. " I arrived physically ready because I have been practicing in the gym, and that is in the hands of the manager in what position I will play ."

Aguilar joins the team in a sweet moment as they occupy the first place in the standings. "Here there is a lot of union and a lot of camaraderie, we are all a family," he said. " What you see from the outside is what's inside, everyone comes out to play hard and have fun and that's what's important. The chemistry that Mike and Yorvit Torrealba brought has been important to us. "
-- Bob Feller

OF INTEREST

The Puerto Rican Robert Perez backtracked with his intention to strengthen the Licey Tigers, and the plan came to light because he said Cleveland was opposed. And how did he agree without having permission from the Indians in the first place? ...

SANTO DOMINGO

Mike Marjama, from the Seattle Mariners organization, who in 2017 played at the Triple A level and a brief stay in the Major Leagues, is the new imported catcher that the Licey Tigers will add to their roster the approaching weekend.

The information was provided by general manager Junior Noboa, who indicated that the 28-year-old right-handed batter, 6'2 "and 205 pounds, will come in place of Puerto Rican Roberto Perez, from whom he had obtained permission from the Cleveland Indians.

Perez indicated that Licey received permission from the general management and the president of the Cleveland Indians to reach an agreement with Robert Perez, but after signing the high authorities in Cleveland denied it.

This was reported by the Dominican team on their Twitter account.
-- Bob Feller

Even Santa Claus complains about lack of light in Caparra Heights

They denounced that they are discriminated against by the government and the Municipality of San Juan.

Residents of the residential areas of the Caparra Heights sector in Puerto Nuevo and the Borinquen Towers condominiums carried out a march from the intersection of José de Diego and Roosevelt avenues to the Plaza Las Américas shopping center to demand that they be supplied with electricity.

These communities have been without this service for 76 days since the passage of Hurricane Irma and after the havoc caused by cyclone Maria for which they denounced that they are victims of marginalization and discrimination on the part of the Government and the Municipality of San Juan.

The president of Associated Communities of Caparra Heights, Oscar Rivera, revealed that around 500 residents are affected in that area.

"Over 500 houses in addition to the three buildings of Borinquen Towers lack this service, a lot of people bedridden and disabled, these are usually urbanites who have these needs and we can no longer put up with it. in addition to that all streets are full of vegetative material and debris, "said Rivera.

One of the protesters, Emilio Asencio, dressed as the character of Santa Claus with a tone of sarcasm to dramatize his claim that children no longer ask for toys for this Christmas but power plants.

He explained that since 1966 his mother, 89 years old, is a resident of Puerto Nuevo and in the middle of the crisis she suffered a fall that keeps her in a delicate condition.

"Mommy already fell in the house for lack of light, Mami lives alone, thank God that my son, her grandson lives in the heights, and visits her on occasions. You have to use a gas stove and a lantern for light to go to the bathroom. The poor woman crawls because she can not walk well because she uses a walker, "emphasized Asencio.

The situation is aggravated for these communities because the Diagnostic and Treatment Center (CDT) of Puerto Nuevo, which does not have electricity for 76 days, was closed on Friday because the electric generator is damaged.

Rubén García Ortiz, revealed the need to reopen the Diagnostic and Treatment Center (CDT) of Puerto Nuevo since Friday the electric generator collapsed and can not serve patients.

"It's been closed since Friday, it has no light and that's not fair. Many elderly people do not have a car in this area and they have to go to Río Piedras or Hoare because the plant collapsed, "said García Ortiz.

For her part, his wife, Milagros Dávila Santana, who has been working in the clinic for 28 years, indicated that it is not fair for patients to be affected by the inaction of the authorities.

"We have not had light since Irma, because today its been 76 days without light. At this time we need light in the CDT and we need light in the urbanization Las Lomas because I have been there for 76 days, the same days that I have been on the CDT without light I have been in my house and this is not fair. The government has to take action now because this has to end, "Dávila Santana said angrily.

For her part, Ivette Rivera said that she was demonstrating on behalf of the sick, bedridden and children who are sick.

"If they have not replaced the light we will be here again in struggle protesting, protesting everything with all the executives that have anything to do with this issue," warned Luis Santiago, another protesters.

They added that Vista Hermosa, San Fernando, Villa España, the Yambeles community and Bulón alley also lack the service.
-- Bob Feller

CARACAS RETURNED TO THE PATH OF VICTORY WITH GRAND SLAM FROM YANDY DÍAZ

Code: Select all

Bateadores	    VB	CA	H	CI	BB	K	DEB	AVE
Diaz, Y (3B)	      3	    2	 2	 4	    1	 0	     0	 .357
Lions roared hard at home and beat Eagles

In the debut of Jesus Aguilar, his Leones del Caracas team gave him the best welcome when they defeated the Águilas del Zulia 7-5 . The offensive load fell on the big liga Cuban Yandy Diaz who connected for a grand slam for the subsequent victory for the Leones.

In the very first inning Felix Perez struck out. Wilfredo Tovar singled and Yandy Diaz followed with a double to right field advancing Tovar to third. With Jesus Aguilar batting, Elvis Araujo unleashed a wild pitch. Wilfredo Tovar scored and Yandy Diaz advanced to third base and scored on a sacrifice fly by Jesus Aguilar.

After trimming the lead in the second inning with an outfield grounder, the Eagles tied the game in the fourth inning but in the bottom half of the innnig, Jesus Guzman again put Leones on top with a double that sent to the plate Felix Perez.

Despite this Zulia did not surrender and in the fifth Héctor Giménez homered to tie the game

The hero of the game appeared in the bottom of the fifth inning when Yandy Diaz homered with the bases loaded on a drive to centerfield.

Aguilas, led by Lipso Nava, cut the lead to two runs, the difference, in the sixth inning although it was not enough.

The triumph was scored by Loiger Padrón (3-0) who ptched by two thirds of an inningvwithout allowing runs where he fanned a rival, for his part the save went to Juan Carlos Gutiérrez the sixth of the season. The defeat fell on Elvis Araujo (0-1).

2B: Diaz, Y (2, Araujo);
HR: Diaz, Y (1, 5th inning againsst Ortega, J, 3 on base, 1 out).
RBI: Diaz, Y 4 (7).
-- Bob Feller

This Friday starts the Pan-American U23 Championship

There are only a few hours left before the umpires will sing Play Ball and start the U-23 Pan-American Championship that will take place in Panama from November 24 to December 3. Fans are already for this Friday to attend the opening game at the Rico Cedeño stadium, in Chitré, province of Herrera, which will open its doors at 9:00 a.m.

The brothers from Costa Rica and Peru will open the championship. That same day, the meeting between Honduras and the Dominican Republic is scheduled at 1:00 p.m.

At 8:00 p.m. Panama will debut against Mexico at Roberto Cedeño.

Panama is in Group A, along with Costa Rica, Peru, El Salvador, the Dominican Republic and Mexico.

Group B is made up of Argentina, Cuba, Brazil, Venezuela, Puerto Rico and Colombia.

The championship will have as its main stadiums Rico Cedeño stadium, in the city of Chitré, Herrera; Omar Torrijos stadium, in Santiago, Veraguas; and Remón Cantera, in Aguadulce, in Coclé.

In this tournament Panama seeks one of the four spots for the Baseball World Cup in 2018.

The teams that will be in this championship are: Puerto Rico, Brazil, Honduras, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Peru, Colombia, Argentina, Cuba, Mexico and Panama.

Panama is ranked 14th in the world for baseball.
-- Bob Feller

Panama beat Mexico in the Premundial U23 debut

The Panamanian team debuted in great form in the U23 Premundial by beating Mexico 6-3 at the Rico Cedeño stadium in Chitré.

Víctor Moscote in the second inning hit a home run with one on board for the first two Panamanian runs in the game. The winning pitcher was Harold Arauz, while Anfernee Benítez saved the game.
Cuba starts on the right foot in the Premundial U23

The powerful Cuban offense led by its first baseman Oscar Cola left on the ground Argentina, after knocking them out in five innings by a score of 16-1 in a game played at the Estadio Remón Cantera, Aguadulce, on the first date of group B , of the U23 World Championship, which takes place in Panama.

Cuba had 16 hits, scored 4 in the first, 3 in the second, 1 in the third inning, 5 in the fourth and 3 in the fifth to complete the super knockout, no errors in the field. Argentina had 4 hits, scored one, and made 3 errors on the field.

The game was won by Cuban right-hander Yariel Rodriguez, who faced 27 batters, struck out 7, conceded 3 walks and gave up 4 hits. Argentina's Franco Perez lost the game.

The best bats for the Cuban team were Oscar Cola, 3-4, with a homer, 4 RBI and scored 3. The receiver Ariel Martinez 3-4, with 1 triple, 2 RBI and 2 scored; and the designated hitter Norel Gonzalez, 2-3, with 2 RBI and scored one. For Argentina the best bats were José Jerez, 1-2, and Jorge Gómez, 1-3 and an RBI.
-- Bob Feller

OF INTEREST

Yandy Díaz:

"People know I'm not a home run hitter, but the ball was in the middle of the plate and I hit it hard. I knew he was gone."
.- "It is the first grand slam of my career, I had never hit one - anywhere".
.- "It's something I've been looking for. Since the end of the season I will be focusing on hitting less ground balls and more long balls."

Mike Rojas:

.- "The difference in the game was that Yandy's hit went and theirs did not."
.- "Yandy Díaz is Yandy Díaz, a big hitter and that is why he is batting third, he has done a good job there".
-- Bob Feller

Venezuelan League: (LVBP)

Yandy Diaz (3B, Leones del Caracas) - 2-3, 2 R, 2B, HR, 4 RBI, BB. Yandy had a big game Friday highlighted by a grand slam in the 5th inning. This was Diaz's first home run in Venezuela, and he also added his second double. Despite having the prototypical build for a power hitter, Diaz does not hit many home runs. In 156 at-bats with the Indians last season he failed to leave the yard, but he still showed some pop by roping eight doubles.

Dominican League: (LIDOM)

Ronny Rodriguez (2B, Aguilas Cibaenas) - 2-4, R, RBI. Rodriguez now has back to back multiple hit games after another big performance in the leadoff spot. Ronny has hit well all autumn, but he has been especially dialed in lately as he is now riding a five game hitting streak. He has also collected six RBIs in his last four contest, and his average now sits at .325.

Patrick McCoy (RP, Toros del Este) - 0.0 IP, H. McCoy gave up a hit to the lone batter he faced Friday night. The big southpaw has been used primarily as a match-up guy out of the 'pen so far. This has resulted in him compiling just 4.1 innings of work in 8 appearances.

Erik Gonzalez (SS, Leones del Escogido) - 0-4, 2 SO. Gonzalez had another rough day at the office as his average continues to slip and now sits at .125. He is 0-14 in his last four games after starting 3-10 in his first three contest. Erik should start to see more favorable results after he gets more reps under his belt.
-- Bob Feller

Puerto Rico shines in debut of Premundial Sub 23

They won via knockout 10-0 over the Colombian national team on Friday, in a game that was abbreviated after seven innings seven innings.

The game marked the debut of the stellar receiver of the Majors, Yadier Molina, as a manager.

The Puerto Rican team had great performances from righty Jose Espada and lefty Alexis Ortiz, who tied the Colombian bats, with just two hits allowed.
-- Bob Feller