Re: Draft Folder

Here's Baseball America's team by team analysis of the draft. Looks like Yankees did a particularly bad job. Tampa and Toronto with lots of choices can hardly lose.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/d ... 11929.html

The summary for the Indians and the rest of the AL Central:

AL CENTRAL

Cleveland Indians: The Indians got the best shortstop in this year's draft by picking Montverde (Fla.) High's Francisco Lindor eighth-overall. The Tribe made a similar splash with its second pick by getting Searcy (Ark.) High righthander Dillon Howard 67th-overall. It's a bold draft for the Indians—the last time the team went with back-to-back high school picks to start off a draft was in 2001 with righthander Dan Denham from Deer Valley High in Antioch, Calif. and Alan Horne from Marianna (Fla.) High, and the last time the Indians chose a high school position player in the first round was in 2000 with shortstop Corey Smith from Piscataway (N.J.) High. The team added some other high-upside arms like Jake Sisco (third) and Cody Anderson (14th) and will have some tough signs in Stephen Tarpley (eighth), Dillon Peters (20th) and Kevin Kramer (25th).

Detroit Tigers: The Tigers didn't have a first-round pick after signing Victor Martinez this winter, so the team became the last to make a pick at 76th-overall. The team always goes with a college-heavy draft and this year was no different. The team started off with Arkansas catcher James McCann, then Vanderbilt first baseman Aaron Westlake, Kansas State third baseman Jason King and Texas shortstop Brandon Loy. The Tigers could wind up with some solid players from that group, but there isn't a lot of star potential. Detroit did not draft a high school player until the 15th round, when it took a chance on outfielder Tyler Gibson, a Top 200 talent that slipped and could end up at Georgia Tech.

Chicago White Sox: The White Sox didn't have a first-round pick after signing Adam Dunn, but the team was still able to get some high-upside players thanks to a deep draft class. Its first pick came 47th-overall—the lowest first pick in White Sox history—and scouting director Doug Laumann went with Central Arizona JC outfielder Keenyn Walker, who profiles as a top of the order hitter and above-average center fielder. The next three picks were spent on righthanders with big velocity, including California's Erik Johnson (whose topped out at 95 mph), Johnson County (Kan.) CC's Jeff Soptic (100) and Kent State's Kyle McMillen (94). The White Sox typically keep a tight budget in the draft, rarely going over slot to sign players, and spent the majority of its picks this year on college players.Kansas City Royals: The Royals started things off with a splash by taking hometown star Bubba Starling fifth-overall. The team continued to favor prep players for its next four picks, adding catcher Cam Gallagher, righthanders Bryan Brickhouse and Kyle Smith [we drafted 2 Kyle Smiths a couple years ago and where it get us?] and outfielder Patrick Leonard. After that, Kansas City added some signable arms that have both been up to 94 mph in Puerto Rican lefthander Cesar Ogando and Oregon righthander Kellen Moen. Unlike recent years, where Kansas City has usually drafted a first-round talent in a later round to try to go above-slot to sign him (Wil Myers, Tim Melville), the Royals' post-first round picks seem to be less risky and more signable this year. The big money will likely go to signing Starling.

Minnesota Twins: Twins manager Ron Gardenhire has high standards for shortstops, so it's interesting that the team took North Carolina's Levi Michael in the first round because he's not a sure thing to stick at the position. Still, he could be an above-average offensive second baseman. The Twins used two supplemental first round picks to get high school third baseman Travis Harrison, who has some of the draft's best power, and Florida high school righthander Hudson Boyd, who profiles as a mid-rotation workhorse. Minnesota continued to add power arms with Oregon's Madison Boer (who is from Eden Prairie, Minn.), Vanderbilt lefthander Corey Williams and UC Irvine righthander Matt Summers. The Twins draft has a lot of upside without sacrificing a nice, all-around balance.

Here's Baseball Prospectus' analysis of the Tribe's draft. I stole this from another site as some of it is subscriber only:

First Three Rounds
1. (8) Francisco Lindor, SS, Monteverde HS (FL)
2. (67) Dillon Howard, RHP, Searcy HS (AR)
3. (97) Jake Sisco, RHP, Merced College

Who They are: Lindor was in the mix at second overall to Seattle, and Cleveland has to be thrilled with him at eight. A series of almost legendary private workouts in the days leading up to the draft left some thinking Lindor was the best position player available. He's a potential plus defender who will certainly stay at shortstop, and he's a switch-hitter who put on a shocking power display in both Seattle and Arizona, leaving projections for 15-20 home runs annually.

Howard is a first-round talent who matches up well with many of the high school arms taken in the second half of the first round. He's ultra-athletic and can get his fastball up to 95 mph, but he's also a Scott Boras client who will require a seven-figure signing bonus.

Sisco is a rare polished arm from the junior college ranks. His fastball, breaking ball, and changeup are all at least average.

Later Picks of Note: Sixth-round pick Bryson Miles has bat speed and plus speed, but might not be able to play center field as a pro. Eighth-round pick Stephen Tarpley is a lefty with a good ceiling, but he'll need big money to spurn attending college.

Analysis: The Indians must have been ecstatic when they grabbed Lindor. They stayed aggressive with the Howard selection and several later picks that are considered tough signs. Lindor alone makes this a good draft, and their negotiations with Howard and others over the next two months could make it special

Interesting article on the Indians 3rd round pick:

Stock on the rise for Merced College baseball's Jake Sisco
By SEAN LYNCH
slynch@mercedsun-star.com

Jake Sisco wanted to make the jump to the pros after his senior year of high school. He got his chance after being drafted in the 37th round by the San Francisco Giants, but the money wasn't right.

When it became obvious a deal wasn't going to be worked out, the scouts gave Sisco some advice on how to better his stock.

"They said go to college and do what you did last year, only against better competition," Sisco said. "I thought I'd be able to do that, so I really haven't thought about it much since then.
S16_MC Baseball 1
MARCI STENBERG

Merced Sun-Star - SUN-STAR PHOTO BY MARCI STENBERG Merced College Blue Devils pitcher Jake Sisco pitching in a game against Bakersfield on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 afternoon at Merced College. Blue Devils won 4-0

"My only concern coming into the season was doing my best, every pitch, every inning, every game."

The Merced College freshman has come darn close to realizing those goals.

With four above-average pitches that he can command, Sisco has thrived in the junior college game.

He is tied for the state lead with 10 victories entering the playoffs and posted a 1.72 ERA along with a state-best 105 strikeouts in 94 1/3 innings.

"We knew he had good stuff, but I didn't see this season coming. Not based off of the fall," MC head coach Chris Pedretti said. "We knew what he did in high school, but until a guy gets a chance to compete at this level and elevate his game, you're never quite sure what you have.

"He really developed quickly, though. The first few outings he'd be doing great and then all of a sudden hit a wall around the sixth or seventh inning.

"Now, he has a good chance of going nine every time he takes the mound."

As dominant as Sisco's numbers have been, it's the way he battles on the mound that has won over his teammates and the MC faithful.

The Blue Devil ace hasn't found himself in trouble too often, but when he does, he's got a knack for fighting his way out of it.

"I thrive in pressure situations," Sisco said. "I tend to be at my best when I get a couple guys on and nobody out or the tying run on third.

"I just say to myself 'Let's go.' It's not like I wasn't focused before, but I just go into this super-heightened focus mode and do whatever it takes to get out of the jam."

Sisco's also shown that if an opponent doesn't get to him early, odds are it isn't going to happen.

He has a tendency to get stronger as the game goes along, picking up the bulk of his strikeout totals in the later innings.

"I think he has a tendency to try to go out early and overpower everyone with his fastball," Pedretti said. "As the game goes on and he settles down, you tend to see more of his slider and curveball.

"When he's mixing them all in, he's usually his most effective. That's how he's managed to have high pitch counts early in the game and still be around to get the complete game."

It's those intangibles that have opened numerous opportunities for the right-hander.

Some of the army of scouts that have regularly attended his home starts have said he could go in the first 10 rounds of this year's amateur draft. A number of Division I four-year schools have shown interest as well.

Sisco is open to either scenario, allowing him to roll with whatever the future brings, while focusing intently on the here and now with the Blue Devils.

That focus will shift to No. 11 Marin (24-12) as the MC ace is set to toe the rubber today in the opener of a best-of-three NorCal first-round playoff series. The first pitch is set for 3 p.m. at Blue Devil Diamond.

"This is what we've been playing toward all season," Sisco said. "I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do in the playoffs.

"We're a confident team and, I don't see any reason we can't meet our goal of making the state tournament."

Some interesting stuff here as well. Lastoria can be a little long winded at time, but his info is usually fairly reliable:

Post-draft Update: Dillon, Peters won't come cheap
Jun 10
Written by: Tony Lastoria
6/10/2011 12:15 PM
Here is an update on most of the Indians' 50 picks from the 2011 Draft. The information gathered is from on-line news outlets as well as from talks I have had with some of the players. For a rundown of all 50 picks by the Indians and for capsules for each players, go here.

Everyone wants to know about 1st round pick shortstop Francisco Lindor, but I am sorry to say there is no news to report on the signing front with him, and in all honestly there will not be any change to his signing status until really a day or so before the August 15th signing deadline. As has happened the last two years, a great majority of the first round picks will not sign until close to midnight on the signing deadline date.

University of Arkansas head coach Dave Van Horn made it clear he’d like to see 2nd round pick right-hander Dillon Howard keep his commitment to his school and improve his draft stock saying in an article on Thursday, “If we can keep Dillon Howard, that would be big for us. He's going to have to turn down a lot (of money), but it will be there again in two years.... If he comes here, he'll be a first-round pick. He might be in the top five, he might be the first player taken.” In another article he said, “We need Dillon Howard, and I hope that he’ll come in here and grow up as a person and as a player, and then in two years, it’s going to be there for him, big-time. … I think that [Howard] sees himself as a Razorback. He sees himself pitching at Baum Stadium in front of 10,000 people on a weekend. I hope that he’ll come and live that dream for two years and help us get back to Omaha and hopefully win a national championship.” It is going to take a big sum of money for the Indians to sign Howard, so it remains to be seen how far they will go. He will likely be another guy that goes right down to the final minute on the signing deadline night.

The Indians and 3rd round pick right-hander Jake Sisco are already in the negotiating process, and while it looks like he will sign he is keeping his options open saying "The scout is coming to my house to talk about it. They'll make an offer, and I'll talk with my advisor. If I like the offer, I'll sign."

It looks like 4th round pick catcher Jake Lowery will be a fast sign. Teams did their due diligence just before the draft to get assurances he would sign, as he noted in an article on Thursday, “The guy called me in the third round to see if everything was O.K. and if he could take me in the next round. Obviously I said ‘of course.’ It was cool to hear my name on the radio coverage. I had an idea it would be top 10 rounds but fourth round was really cool. I talked to three teams in the last few days, who making sure everything was good and if I would sign if selected. Cleveland didn’t call me the last few days but had called in the last week.”

Indians 7th round pick catcher Eric Haase is still weighing his options to go pro or go to Ohio State, but kudos to the IPI’s Jeff Ellis for the mention in a Detroit area news outlet with a quote on Haase.

It looks like it will take big money to woo 8th rounder left-handed pitcher Stephen Tarpley to sign with the Indians. There is no doubt that the Indians will likely have to go somewhere in the neighborhood of what they gave last year’s 8th rounder Alex Lavisky in order to get Tarpley to sign on the dotted line.

Both 10th rounder right-handed pitcher Jeff Johnson and 35th rounder right-hander Mason Radekewere drafted out of Cal Poly SLO, and both look like they will sign with the Indians. Radeke missed a lot of time his freshman and sophomore seasons for academic reasons, and if he goes back for his senior year he loses almost any leverage he has. Johnson is also in the same boat as going back for his senior year at this point would not be a good decision.

According to the Lufkin Daily News, 11th round pick right-handed pitcher Luis DeJesus “says he’ll listen to what the Indians have to say and determine whether the offer is good enough, or whether he’d benefit more from another year under AC head coach Jeff Livin’s tutelage.”

It looks like 12th round pick Grant Sides could be signed very soon as he is very interested in signing. “I have already finished my undergrad degree and look forward to the opportunity the Indians can offer me. The only thing that I have asked for is to be treated fairly and I should be putting on an Indians jersey soon enough.”

17th round pick right-hander Kevin Brady will be a summer follow for the Indians as he will pitch in the Cape Cod League this summer. He is coming back from a forearm injury from earlier this year and would have gone much higher in the draft if not for the injury.

It looks like 18th round pick right-handed pitcher Shawn Armstrong will be a summer follow by the Indians. He has two years left of college eligibility, so he has some leverage and will probably command a decent chunk of change to sign. Teams called on him in the third and fourth rounds, but because he would not commit as a sure sign and has some demands financially he slipped to the 18thround. He says the following and more in the linked article: "I'm not 100 percent sure what I'm going to do. I kind of expected to go before the 18th round and I had some phone calls in the third and fourth rounds, but it wasn't what I looking for (financially). The Indians said they knew I wanted a little more money. They said they want to follow me this summer and then make an offer. They could see me pitch once and then make an offer, or it could come in August."

19th round pick left-handed pitcher Shawn Morimando like everyone else is weighing his options and told the IPI that “I can't wait to begin playing as it's a very exciting moment in my life and I feel so honored to be drafted by the Indians. School is on my mind but I'm really interested in pro ball and hope everything works out for the best.”

It is going to take first round money or close to it for the Indians to sign their highly touted 20th round pick left-hander Dillon Peters. That is what his father is quoted as saying in the linked article. He will be playing summer ball and the Indians will be watching.

It looks like 21st round pick Cody Elliott will make a decision by the end of the week on whether to sign, and it sounds like he will.

23rd rounder right-handed pitcher Cody Allen is eager to get his career started. He did not sign last year and was disappointed it did not happen, so I would expect negotiations will go much smoother this year having already been through the process.

Not unexpectedly, 25th round pick infielder Kevin Kramer is going to be a tough sign and wants first round money. According to the linked article he says: "I had an idea of what would happen with the draft because it comes down to signability. I have a great opportunity at UCLA, and teams knew I would be asking for first-round money if they wanted to sign me. I'm sure that kept teams away. It happens to kids every year. The teams want to draft them, but players have the option of college and that makes it difficult for clubs to sign them without spending a lot of money. … Now we'll wait to hear from Clevelandand see how it goes. What I like about UCLA is the opportunity to enjoy the college experience and win a national championship in Omaha. That's always been a dream. But the attraction of signing is that I'd be in pro ball, and that's always been a goal of mine."

The Indians 28th round pick left-hander Tyler Nurdin is currently pitching summer ball in the Northwoods Leagues, so will likely be a summer follow and potentially sign later.

You can cross one pick off the boards as 30th round pick infielder John Polonius says he is not signing and going back to school. “I thought I was going to go to the Cubs in the 12th round, but I told them I wasn’t going to sign, that I was going back to school. But it’s nice to know that some other team still wanted me.”

With the University of South Carolina still in postseason play and participating in Super Regionals this weekend, it does not appear anything with 31st round pick left-hander Michael Roth will happen anytime soon, if they even do.

36th rounder left-handed pitcher Abel Guerrero is “ready” to go pro, it just depends on the Indians interest and if a deal can be reached. I think he will sign quickly.

If I were a betting man, 37th round pick right-handed pitcher Taylor Starr will sign. After two Tommy John surgeries and practically not pitching the past three years, this may be his last chance at being drafted and it also will bring him to the pro ranks where he can get top level medical and rehab attention to get him back on track if possible.

38th round pick infielder Yhoxian Medina told me he is very interested in signing. I do not know what the Indians’ intentions are right now, but if they want to target him now I would think it is a slam dunk and he is an Indian very soon and potentially part of the Mahoning Valley club.

43rd round pick left-hander Geoff Davenport is weighing his options and told the IPI that “I was just honored that the Indians would take me after my injury and I'm very intrigued to see what they offer. No matter what I decide I'm going to be happy because I'll be choosing between two great options of either going pro or returning to school. It's just something I need to talk over with my [family] and see what's best.”

The Indians will be following 44th round pick right-handed pitcher Adam Griffin this summer as he pitches summer ball. Signing him is not out of the question, but he has a pretty strong commitment to the University of North Carolina.

The Indians are discussing a contract with 47th round pick outfielder Corey Embree. According to the linked article the Indians were supposed to call on Thursday to discuss a contract and explain what comes next for him. In this article from earlier in the week, it looks like he is anxious to get his pro career started, so there appears to be a chance he and the Indians can work something out.

48th round pick right-hander Blaine O’Brien will be another summer follow as he pitches in the Cape Cod League this summer. According to this report he says, “I spoke with Cleveland earlier today. Nothing is finalized, but they call it a 'draft and follow.' They can follow me around this summer and watch me pitch for the Bay Sox. Then they can decide what to do."

It doesn’t sound like the Indians 49th round pick outfielder Brian Hansen will sign, as he said in an article on Thursday “I have a few more years to play yet at St. Cloud. Hopefully I’ll have a good year and maybe improve my draft stock a little bit. I haven’t had a whole lot of time to sit down and talk to many people yet. I’m going to try and do that (Wednesday night).”

50th round pick catcher Tyler Baker is weighing his options on whether to sign with the Indians or go to college to Wichita State and told the IPI that he is “just going to talk with my family through out the summer and make the decision when the time comes.”

Follow Tony and Minor Happenings on Twitter @TonyIPI. Also, his latest book the 2011 Cleveland Indians Top 100 Prospects & More is available for purchase for $20.95 to customers in the US (shipping and handling extra).

Sickels take on the Indians draft. I liked the Deep Space Nine reference for Jake Sisco:

2011 MLB Draft: Cleveland Indians Review
by John Sickels on Jun 11, 2011 10:00 AM EDT

2011 MLB Draft: Cleveland Indians Review

This class won't be cheap to sign, but it has a good mixture of upside and polish and looks solid to me.

Star-divide

1) Francisco Lindor, SS, Florida HS: Excellent defense, good speed, should hit for average and has a chance for a touch of power eventually. Fine choice.

2) Dillon Howard, RHP, Arkansas HS: First-round talent fell to the second due to expected bonus demands and strong Arkansas commitment. Impressive sinker and both his curve and change are highly promising. Won't be cheap, but if they sign him he is the equivalent of another first round pick.

3) Jake Sisco, RHP, Merced Junior College: Excellent junior college pitcher, 90-95 MPH fastball, curve, slider and changeup are all potentially above average, good body, good feel for pitching. Could be a giant bargain if he doesn't get kidnapped by wormhole aliens.

4) Jake Lowery, C, James Madison: Left-handed power and a strong arm stand out; another solid value pick.

5) Will Roberts, RHP, Virginia: Excellent performance this spring for a top program, works with slightly above average stuff. Possible fourth starter or reliever.

6) Bryson Myles, OF, Stephen F. Austin State: Kirby Puckett-style body, hit .411/.484/.581 with 53 steals this year. Scouts say his swing has holes, but his performance was superb.

7) Eric Haase, C, Michigan HS: Cold-weather high school catcher was late-riser up draft boards; some scouts consider him a huge sleeper who could have gone as high as the second round if he was a bit more polished. Strong Ohio State commitment.

8) Stephen Tarpley, LHP, Arizona HS: Slightly above average velocity, throws strikes, curve and changeup are promising. Big price tag to pass up Southern Cal but could be worth it.

9) Jordan Smith, 3B, St. Cloud State University: Left-handed power dominated small-college competition, has sleeper potential but strikes me as a slight overdraft.

10) Jeff Johnson, RHP, Cal Poly: Can hit 95, strong splitter, could be a fine closer. Would have gone six rounds higher if not for a sore arm this spring.

OTHERS OF NOTE: 2B Zach MacPhee (13th round, Arizona State) lacks plus tools but is a baseball rat with strong skills. LHP Dillion Peters (20th round, Indiana HS) has third round talent but a strong commitment to the University of Texas. He gives them another option should Howard prove difficult to sign. RHP Cody Allen (23rd round, High Point) has an average fastball, a good curve, and a fine performance record, plus he went to college at the same place as my wife's friend Heather. LHP Michael Roth (31st round, South Carolina) has very mediocre velocity but seems to thrive on a big stage.

SUMMARY: I like this class. Aside from Lindor and Howard at the top, Sisco, Lowery, Roberts, and Miles are all great values in their spots, while Haase and Tarpley provide high school upside. This will be an expensive class to sign but it should be worth it.

But Dennis Nosco disagrees, so disregard Sickels.

Will be interesting to see how much they are willing to spend on all these guys. Were quite aggressive last year, and with all the extra money the Indians pulled in for about two or three weeks in big walk up crowds, they can afford to sign many players to multimilliion dollar contracts.

Here's an interesting article, considering Dillon Howard is a Boras client

Negotiating with Scott Boras
June, 3, 2011 By Jim Bowden

There will be the day that Scott Boras, player agent from the Boras Corporation, becomes the first agent inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame. The free-agent draft is an area he has dominated since the record-breaking Andy Benes deal of $235,000 in 1988.

I personally negotiated hundreds of contracts with Scott Boras and his corporation from 1985 through 2008, with Nationals second baseman Danny Espinosa becoming the last amateur contract I would ever negotiate with him. Thank goodness.

I found Scott to be bright, quick, intelligent, challenging, prepared, deceptive (in terms of bluffing), entertaining, but also predictable.

Here is a breakdown on how I found Boras and his negotiating style to be predictable:

The negotiating process:

1. Pre-draft: Boras will talk to all 30 scouting directors, general managers and owners (if they’ll take the phone call). He will give him his expectations for his client list -- how he values them (not in terms of specific dollars but against previously signed talent) and reminds clubs that his player could re-enter the draft or go to college. If he’s talking with a small-market club whose history includes not paying over recommended slot, Boras might suggest that they pass on that player because he probably won’t sign with them and then will suggest maybe they draft one of his second-round type players in the first round because they could afford him. He also will look at an organization's depth chart from the major leagues to the minor leagues. If a team has an All-Star catcher in the major leagues and a top catching prospect at Double-A, he might advise a team not to draft his catcher, re
alizing it might take his client longer to get to the major league team in that organization, thus delaying arbitration and free agency -- where the real money is. He wants clubs to be prepared to pay the price if you draft one of his players.

2. Post-draft: Boras will advise his clients not to talk to anyone with the club about contract terms until the deal is finalized. He will brief them and advise them on the most professional way to handle the club, media and fans for immediate post-draft relations.

3. Timing of negotiations: He will commence negotiations as soon as the club is ready. He returns phone calls within 24 hours to each scouting director or general manager. There is not an agent in baseball more prepared for contract negotiations. His research team is deep and his data bases have the most volume of information, statistics, history and details of any agency that I negotiated with or against. In his case, it was always against. Boras doesn’t conclude many deals early in the process unless it really changes the market place for the industry. He doesn’t believe the sooner you sign the quicker to arbitration and free agency. He believes that the best deal will be at end of the process.

4. The process: Boras takes the process seriously. He will have studied every contract in the history of the sport. He will find the top contracts that will allow him to argue for the most money. Many of his arguments have holes, and when prepared clubs debate with him, he is always respectful. He listens and responds. When the club argues relevant slot signings from the past, he will recognize and then demonstrate why this particular player has much more talent and value. He’s a former baseball player with an edge, and combine that with an intelligent lawyer who loves the courtroom and you have a tough opponent. He wants the intellectual back-and-forth of negotiations. He will demonstrate how each player is so special that he has to be considered different than the market place.

Remember, he only has one club to negotiate with and a deadline to meet. His only real leverage against the club is the player not signing with them and going back into a future draft. He has no open market to shop his player. He’s not afraid to go around the scouting director to the GM, or the GM to the team president, or the president to the owner. He will climb the ladder to get his best offer. If he finds a difficult negotiator in his way, he will attempt to get that person distanced from the process. That’s why it’s been even more remarkable to watch how he went from signing Andy Benes to a record $235,000 in 1988 to Stephen Strasburg’s $15.1 million package just 21 years later. He wants dialogue and communication. The process will be lengthy and tiresome but always professional. He’s a grinder. He’s not afraid to negotiate daily. He will always find new arguments, information or angles. He’s a warrior. He’s not afraid to bluff. He’s not afraid to walk away.

5. The result: Most of his players in the first round will sign. If it’s a high school player drafted in Rounds 2 to 5 whom Boras thinks could develop into a first-rounder in college, they’ll have to be paid late-first-round money or he’ll take them to college. His players always sign for an amount above the commissioner’s office recommendation (somehow he always has a copy of the recommendations). To get his most talented clients to sign, the payout will normally have to shatter a previous year's record; for others, it will just have to be above the recommended slot and, most importantly, for more than the player above and below his client's position in the draft. Boras' image is important. He doesn’t want another agency to make his clients look anything but the best. Don’t draft his players if you're not going to overpay, because they’re not signing, unless of course the player overrules him. Boras does let his players make the final decision, always. If you understand the process and are in the ballpark in terms of dollars, the player will sign.

Boras leverage

1. Deadlines: Boras believes, and rightfully so, that the club's best offer will be made in the last 15 minutes, under the pressure of losing the rights to the draft choice. You have to study his client list. If he has five to 10 unsigned players in the last hour, Boras tends to save the final minutes for the very top picks. If you have a late first-rounder or second-rounder, you could get the deal done a few hours or few days before the deadline. He’ll only close the deal when he’s convinced that there’s nothing left on the table.

2. College: If the player has college as leverage, he’ll advise them to enroll and prepare to attend. Early in his career as an agent, he had several players walk away from the draft and go back to school or go play independent ball. Boras feels the player will do better financially in a future draft even with the risk of injury. This gives him tremendous leverage.

The draft was initially instituted to allow the worst clubs in baseball to improve. The intention was to work toward parity. Rule changes, including draft pick compensation, has worked against this concept because the big-market teams had the most Type A free agents and could let theirs go, get two additional first-round picks and sign even more Type A free agents.

It also hasn’t worked partly because Boras used negotiating leverage to get small-market teams to overlook his best players so they could get larger contracts from clubs willing to spend more money.

Boras' response to slotting

While the commissioner’s office provides all 30 clubs with a recommended slotting system for each selection in the first few rounds, Boras has his own system. He sets talent range values on players he represents and relays them to the clubs prior to the draft. In 2007, he priced Rick Porcello from the top of the draft right down to No. 27 and the Detroit Tigers. Most clubs had David Price and Rick Porcello 1-2 on their draft boards. However, clubs hearing the asking price range all passed knowing that Boras would not be afraid to take Porcello to college and the club would lose a top-of-the-draft talent. Porcello ended up signing with Detroit for a record $7.3 million.

In 2006, Gil Meche signed a free-agent contract with the Kansas City Royals for five years and $55 million. Forget the fact it was a bad contract at the time. The fact is that the Royals' baseball staff would have preferred to invest $7.3 million on Porcello than $55 million on Meche. Boras just needs a few owners to understand why it’s a much better investment and get them to go against the grain. It’s not fair to the teams at the top of the draft that deserved Porcello but had to pass because they couldn’t get ownership's approval to go above slot.

The Tigers didn’t outscout the 26 clubs ahead of them. They just had an owner who was willing to let the GM and scouting director break a signing record with Scott Boras to get a quality player. It was a shrewd move.

Boras has changed the payscale for players drafted in the amateur free-agent draft and will continue to do so until the process has a hard slotting system. A breakdown of some of his record breaking contracts:

Record-breaking Boras draft deals:

1988: Andy Benes signed for $235,000
1989: Ben McDonald signed for $1.01M and became the first amateur free agent to sign a major league contract
1990: Todd Van Poppel signed for $1.2m and became the first high school player to sign a major league contract
1991: Brien Taylor got a $1.55M bonus
1993: Alex Rodriguez and Darren Dreifort sign for $1.3M each as the first two selections in the draft -- the $2.6M combined for the first two picks was a record
1996: Boras discovered a loophole in the tender process that led to free agency for Matt White (7th overall) and Bobby Seay (12th overall). White and Seay both signed with Tampa for combined $20.5M
1997: J.D. Drew turned down the Phillies' $3M offer, signed with an independent team and then went back in the draft and signed a deal worth three times what the Phillies had offered.
2001: Mark Teixeira (5th overall) signed a $9.5M major league contract
2004: Stephen Drew signed for $5.5M and Jered Weaver signed for $4M
2006: Luke Hochevar signed for $5.2M
2007: Rick Porcello dropped to No. 27 and signed for $7.3M, a record for a high school pitcher
2008: Pedro Alvarez signed for $6.355M, a record for a drafted third baseman
2009: Stephen Strasburg signed largest contract in draft history at $15.1M; Donovan Tate signed for $6.25M, the largest bonus ever given to a high school player
2010: Boras Corp. became the first agency to represent four of the top six players -- Bryce Harper (No. 1 overall), Manny Machado (No. 3 overall), Christian Colon (No. 4 overall) and Matt Harvey (No. 6 overall) -- in the draft
2011: A new record will be reached this August. Stay tuned

Scott Boras is the lightning rod of baseball agents. He’s also the most successful agent in the baseball history. I won’t miss having to pass on his clients on draft day, and I won’t miss spending the next two months negotiating with him.

Thursday June 16th

No official announcements on signings yet since the initial three, but as I mentioned yesterday there have been some additional signings. Today I have three more to report as "unofficially" the Indians have inked 15th round pick infielder Todd Hankins, 35th round pick right-handed pitcher Mason Radeke, and 42nd round pick shortstop KC Serna. I would expect all three to report to Single-A Mahoning Valley.

Wednesday June 15th

Lots of signings could be officially announced sometime today or tomorrow. While unofficial, the Indians have signed 46th round pick right-handed pitcher Robert Nixon and also undrafted free agent first baseman Jerrud Sabourin (Indiana University). Also I am hearing that 4th round pick catcher Jake Lowery and 23rd round pick right-handed pitcher Cody Allen should be officially announced as done deals within the next 24 hours. Another name I am hearing that will definitely sign is 39th round pick outfielder John Barr, but his signing is delayed because his Virginia team is in the College World Series.

CLEVELAND -- The Indians signed six of their 2011 First-Year Player Draft selections on Friday, including two of their first four picks.

The Indians agreed to a deal with right-handed pitcher Jake Sisco, the team's third-round Draft choice. Sisco went 11-1 with a 1.66 ERA in 15 games at Merced College (CA).

Fourth-round pick Jake Lowery, a catcher out of James Madison University, also agreed to a deal with the Tribe. Lowery hit .359 and led the nation in runs, RBIs and total bases.
FacebookTwitterEmailRelated Video

The Tribe also signed a pair of undrafted free agents, infielder Jerrud Sabourin, an infielder from Indiana University, and Drew Rucinski, a right-handed pitcher from Ohio State University.

Cleveland has now signed nine of its Draft picks, after inking three to deals on Monday.

JordanSmith signs

Monday, June 20, 2011
2011 Draft Signings Update: Jordan Smith signs

9:30 AM Tony

Monday June 20th

According to a report from the West Central Tribune in Minnesota, 9th round pick third baseman Jordan Smith signed with the Indians on Sunday.

The Indians are following 41st round pick outfielder Brian Ruiz out in summer ball, and it appears that if any deal is reached with him it will not come until close to the August 15th signing deadline.

Speaking of the deadline, do not expect any overslot deal to be announced until close to August 15th. A few may trickle in before then, but the majority should come either on the deadline date or during the week leading up to it. A lot of times the players are already signed but Major League Baseball will have the player and club sit on the signing until MLB approves it closer to the deadline.

As one player drafted in the past few years who was signed well before the deadline told me: “There are so many factors that come into play with that. The [Indians] have the commissioner’s office they have to deal with, and sometimes it is not about finding an agreement it is just waiting on that or waiting for guys drafted right around you to sign. I think it would be a lot easier if they could just get the deal approved to get guys out playing or maybe have some kind of plan. It is just so hard as you don't know when everybody is going to sign. I can understand because I had to wait a whole summer just hanging around the house and working a little bit even tough I knew I was signed."