Re: General Discussion

rocky raccoon wrote:From Ken Rosenthal:

Orlando Cabrera's impact is "very difficult to quantify," Indians GM Chris Antonetti tells Rosenthal. You have to wonder if O-Cab could provide the same intangibles off the bench, allowing the Tribe to start Cord Phelps or Jason Kipnis at second base.
O-Cab is 36 years old - he needs a day off every now and then. Our DH is also on the DL. There is no reason we can't bring up Phelps and get him at bats by having him spell O-Cab and A-Cab and getting some time at DH.
EVERYBODY IS FULL OF CRAP!!!!!

ND Dawg wrote:Bert Blyleven said tonight that the Twins consider themselves 9 and 1/2 games out because the Royals will finish fifth and the Indians fourth. After tonight they have to make it 10 and 1/2. I hope that statement comes back to bite him.

Bert Blyleven tried to hit on my first wife as she was walking in front of me on our way to the car on the day Jim Abbott pitched against us in Spring Training in Palm Springs in 1989.

Blyleven at first did not see me behind her, but when I bristled up, he did.

We had noted his car in the parking lot. The license tag made it obvious.

He might have been able to beat my arse if it came to it, but I choose to believe he noted that I was a fighter that would have gouged his eyes out if it came to it.

I have pics of Bert and my wife in front of his car, and also pics that Bert took of my first wife and I in front of his car.

Regardless, Twins suck.

Acta and hitting coach Jon Nunnally asked Carlos Santana to stop tapping his front foot at the plate before Tuesday's game. Santana did as suggested and went 3-for-3 with a sacrifice fly and two RBI.

Acta said they asked Santana to stop the toe tap to "eliminate some of the body movement he has at the plate. He's hit like that before and he had a good day. That's why Tuesday was very important to him."

The Indians have been trying to get Santana fixed through the first two months of the season. He hit .198 (17-for-86) with five homers and 17 RBI in April. His average improved in May to .253 (20-for-76), but the production (one homer, seven RBI) was lacking. In the first five games of this six-game trip, Santana is hitting .500 (7-for-14). Since May 3, he's hitting .274 (20-for-73) with seven RBI and an OPS of .809.

"We just felt that a lot of his problems were coming from extra body movement at the plate," said Acta.
Hitters use the toe tap as a timing device, but when they don't get their front foot down in time to hit, it can prove troublesome. Santana is a switch hitter and that can compound the problem.

"Hitting is tough enough as it is," said Acta. "We're trying to keep it as simple as possible. There comes a time when you have to make adjustments at this level."

Acta said they've been talking to Santana about making the change since spring training. Tuesday the decisions was made.

"He was ready to make the change," said Acta.
" I am not young enough to know everything."

It's easy to see the team crashing back to earth with a few losses, but TFIR is right, 3-3 on the road trip. 7-5 3/4 way through a difficult stretch against above-500 opponents.

How about this season scenario: we battle it out with the Tigers for 1st in the Central with the loser taking the wild card and Boston and NY both staying home, as Tampa takes the East.

And they are getting through this tough patch on the schedule with Hafner on the DL, Sizemore making adjustments after coming off of the DL, as well as Choo and Santana trying to get it together.

Fortunately, Sizemore appears to be back (knock on wood) and Choo and Santana are coming around (especially Santana).

As a bonus - to their credit, Duncan and Buck seem to be forming into a credible lefty/righty platoon. Their lefty/righty splits combine into 99 at bats .323/.362/.505 with 16 RBIs. That said, I still cringe whenever I see either one of them hitting cleanup and I would like to see us get another bat or bring Phelps up for a shot.
EVERYBODY IS FULL OF CRAP!!!!!