Re: Draft Folder

Let's hope highest high school bonus winds up equaling biggest high school success story. We put a lot in the bank for those top couple kids. Should we now dub Aikens, McKenzie and Hillman the successors to the great Fab Four group of Dan Denham, J.D. Martin, Jake Dittler and [oops forgetting the other big star of the future, was it Travis Foley?] -- and remember that year we didn't sign the fifth outstanding high school we picked, Alan Horne, who the Yankees picked off a couple years later and he turned into their ace.

Brad, Travis and Justin: the Fearsome Threesome? The Three Musketeers? Nominations are now open. [we ought to reach out to Joe to help us with this.]

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/st-louis-ca ... hool-world

Triston McKenzie, RHP, Royal Palm Beach HS (Florida)

6'5", 160 lbs

Bats: Right

Throws: Right

So, what's so great about this guy?

No, that weight number is not a typo. It's where a lot of the promise McKenzie brings to the table comes from, in fact.

Triston McKenzie is a tall, lean drink of water. Actually, 'lean' probably isn't the proper word for a person who goes 6'5" and weighs less than, say, Tim Lincecum. Triston McKenzie is a rail, and as such should be counted on, unless something goes horribly wrong, to put on 40 or even 50 pounds by the time he gets to the big leagues, bringing with that extra weight all the added strength one would hope to see bolster his velocity.

Not that the present stuff isn't impressive for McKenzie; it is. He's been up to 92 with his fastball already, and the ball has nice life to it, whether up or down. The velocity isn't consistent, of course; much as is the case with Cole McKay, McKenzie has yet to settle in to a range of speeds with his heater, sometimes working at 86, other days pushing above 90 all the way through an outing. He complements the fastball with a pair of promising secondary offerings, the best of which is a slow curve that can look positively Wainwrightian if you catch him on the right day but could probably stand to be thrown with more power. He also features a changeup that not only exists -- always a pleasant surprise with a high school pitcher -- but already shows excellent fade to the arm side, if not necessarily a whole lot of depth as of yet.

I'm not idly making that Wainwright comparison for McKenzie's curve. It might be slightly hyperbolic, of course, at least in relation to the curve itself, but there are several things about McKenzie I feel make Adam an excellent comp for him at the same age.

In last year's draft, there was a righthander by the name of Cobi Johnson I comped to Waino, citing the firm but not overpowering fastball, big-breaking curve, solid fading change, and precocious feel for pitching as the reasons for my comparison. In that case, I was talking about Wainwright the finished product; the tall, lanky athlete we all love watching so much who mixes his offerings with such creativity and intelligence that his middling velocity seems to be the least important thing about him.

In this case, however, I'm talking about Wainwright the amateur when I mention him in conjunction with McKenzie. When Adam was a high school prospect, he was a tall, gangly amateur hurler who showed velocity into the 90s, a feel for a future-plus curveball, and just enough of a changeup to make scouts believe he could have a good one someday. That's very much where McKenzie is right now, down to the velocity that is more projection than reality at the moment, and the dreams of those who think he's going to add 40 pounds of good weight and suddenly find himself sitting at 96 in the seventh inning of big league starts.

Wainwright also showed an advanced feel for pitching as far back as those high school days. He was a basketball player in school, and showed better than average feet for a guy so big; most 6'6" high school kids are composed almost entirely of shins, and tend to walk the earth like huge, awkward birds of prey, waiting on time and nutrition to finish the job of turning them into fully developed human beings. Wainwright, though, already showed signs of the body control he's become so known for now all the way back then.

McKenzie has many of those same traits, including the intelligence; he's an extremely bright, mature kid who at 16 had already gone through several CPR courses as part of an ambition to become a paramedic, and he brings that intelligence to the mound. He's athletic, shows good footwork and body control for a kid with his frame, and generally puts the ball where he wants much better than you would expect from a player of his age, size, and level of development. Again, a whole lot like Adam Wainwright the Georgia high schooler.

And also like Wainwright, it remains to be seen how much velocity McKenzie actually develops. He's shown up to 92 already at 17, so 'the sky' is generally the answer to the question of, "Limit?" However, velocity isn't always linear, nor is it a given. Adam managed to become an ace-level pitcher in spite of never developing into the mid-90s power pitcher he was projected as back in his high school days. While there is reason to believe McKenzie will, in fact, throw harder in the future than he does now, he might not. Luckily for him -- and the team picking him -- he shows enough of those other Waino-like trait that even if he settles into the 90-92 range rather than popping 97's in a couple years he could still turn into something very promising.

The one downside for me with McKenzie is his arm action. He has a bit of a wrist wrap at the back of his delivery, and his timing is, frankly, kind of terrible. It's a shame, because I like so many things about the kid, but I really, really don't like his mechanics at all. And if I'm investing in a player for hopefully the next decade, I'm not sure I couldn't find a guy I would be more comfortable with than Triston McKenzie.

The Cincinnati Reds and Cleveland Indians were awarded picks after the first round of the 2016 MLB Draft through the MLB's competitive balance lottery.

The Reds won the first selection in Competitive Balance Round A, the first six selections after the first round of the MLB Draft, while the Indians won the second selection in Competitive Balance Round B, the first six selections after the second round of the MLB Draft.

Per the MLB's press release, the Competitive Balance Lottery, which was agreed upon as a part of the 2012-2016 Basic Agreement between MLB and the Major League Baseball Players Association, gives Clubs with the lowest revenues and in the smallest markets the opportunity to obtain additional draft picks through a lottery.

The 10 clubs with the lowest revenues and the 10 clubs in the smallest markets were entered into a lottery for the six selections immediately following the first round of the Draft.

For Competitive Balance Round B, eligible clubs that did not receive one of the six selections after the first round, and all other payee clubs under the Revenue Sharing Plan, were entered into a second lottery for the six picks immediately following the second round of the draft.

this year's draft is fast approaching. BA current draft suggests for Cleveland:

14. Indians: The Indians’ draft position makes it unlikely any of the first-tier prep prospects will fall to them, though there are some believers in second-level prospects such as outfielders Taylor Trammell and Alex Kirilloff and lefthander Joey Wentz. Wentz’s athleticism and present strike-throwing ability could make him a good fit for Cleveland. PICK: Joey Wentz, lhp

A bit of research reveals Wentz to be a 6-5 209 pound 18 year high school lefty from Lakewood, Kansas. That's all I know.

scratch that, here's the newest mock draft prediction:

14. INDIANS: The board is falling the Indians way in this scenario, as they’ve been aggressive with prep players in recent years and could have several prep options here. Manning [NorCal prep righty Matt Manning] has as much upside as any NorCal prep pitcher since 1997 Indians first-rounder CC Sabathia but also has a reported $4-5 million price tag. Ian Anderson [another HS RH} also is considered a tough sign but has a lower price tag than Manning. PICK: Ian Anderson, rhp |

draft is next week. I hope we can collect a haul like we did last year. We haven't seen any of the kid pitchers this year, yet, but there are three very impressive talents. And then a whole raft of position players who are off to solid starts although none projects to be a star: OFs Nathan Lukes and Ka'ai Tom; 2b Mike Mathias and Tyler Krieger.
And a couple more kids who haven't taken the field yet this year who have relatively high ceilings: SS Luke Wakamatsu and pitcher Jonas Wyatt. Could turn out to be a very productive draft.