Re: General Discussion

Hillbilly wrote:Report now is we are sending 10 mill in cash in the trade.

Considering those two are set to make 29 mill next year I am still giddy about it. More or less just paying them the rest of this years salary.
But it will cost the Indians 27.5 mil

Well, we weren't getting anything out of either of the 2 we traded. Maybe Johnson will help more.

Me personally I don't see it that way at all. We are saving at least 10 mill, and that is if you look at Johnson as worthless as Swish & Bourn. Which I don't. He is serviceable indeed.

To me we are sending 10 mill to finish paying Swish & Bourn's salary this year. And we save 29 mill next. But we're going to have a more expensive Rayburn on the roster next year. (Rayburn is free agent at years end, club option anyway. Don't imagine we pick that up now)

Finally!!!!

In a world that moves faster and faster, the behind-the-times Indians finally admit they had stiffs on their team and did something about it.

For an organization that has trouble identifying Major League talent, they are getting better at cutting their losses when they make a mistake.

Bro

In the 3 year period from '12 thru '14 Johnson had a .337/ .378/ .479 line against lefties.

He is going to be playing for Tito in a platoon, and probably really help the team. He has played 1st and 3rd. He will see time at DH. He may produce more than Rayburn or Aviles. I'm not looking at his contract as a huge albatross like Swisher and Bourn's.

Hillbilly wrote:Me personally I don't see it that way at all. We are saving at least 10 mill, and that is if you look at Johnson as worthless as Swish & Bourn
I don't see how they save 10 mil, since they are sending 10 mil along with the two guys.
The guaranteed salaries for Johnson add up to 17.5 mil, per CHIEF's post.
btw, CHIEF should post more often!

Or maybe they still owe Swisher and Bourne 10 mil this year?

Because the 10 mill we are sending covers Swish & Bourn for the remainder of this year.

Braves are taking on 29 mill next year for those two.

We are paying Johnson 7.5 and 9 mill the next two seasons, and the remainder of his 6 mill contract this year, which should be around 2+ mill. So ends up around 19 mill total for him.

29 - 19 = 10

So even if you view Johnson as worthless we are still paying 10 mill less over the life of the contracts for the worthlessness.

But I don't view Johnson as worthless at all. He will help us against lefties. We will not pick up Rayburn's contract at years end and Johnson will be a more expensive Rayburn next couple years.

From listening to tonight's broadcast, including Tito's comments, I figure Johnson will play some 3rd, some 1st, and possibly outfield as well. Tito did use the word outfield.

I looked at baseball reference, and he did play 27 games in the outfield in 2012.

Probably be a RH utility type.

Chris Johnson baseball reference fielding

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ield.shtml
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Seriously, you could not be more useless than Swisher at this point. Can't hit, can't field, can't run, always injured. (Sorry, cheerleading the Brohio cheer does not count as useful.)
I do think Atlanta believes they can get something out of Bourn, he did play there. And sometimes players are NL or AL players. But the Tribe made them take Swisher if they were taking Johnson's contract as well.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

I think it was just yesterday or day before I posted that this guy would get a look see soon.

@tpaquette_IID:

Source - #Indians to promote RHP Shawn Armstrong from (AAA) Columbus for Saturday.

2015 - 14SV 44(IP) 33H 13R 11ER 22BB 69SO 2.25 ERA

Tyler Holt optioned back to Columbus.