Re: General Discussion

Indians acquired LHP Rob Kaminsky from the Cardinals for 1B/OF Brandon Moss.

Kaminsky was the 28th overall pick in the 2013 MLB Amateur Draft and has registered a promising 2.09 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, and 79/28 K/BB ratio over 94 2/3 innings (17 starts) this season in High-A ball. The 20-year-old left-hander still has a long way to go before he can be considered MLB-ready, but it's a nice get for the Indians given Moss' recent offensive struggles.

Brandon Moss - OF - Indians

Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Cardinals have acquired Brandon Moss from the Indians for pitching prospect Rob Kaminsky.

Moss fits the Cardinals' need for both a first baseman and corner outfielder, but it comes at a steep price. Kaminsky, the 28th overall pick in the 2013 MLB Amateur Draft, boasts a 2.15 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, and 186/68 K/BB ratio in 217 1/3 career minor league innings.

The 20-year-old left-hander is currently in High-A ball. Moss, meanwhile, has struggled offensively since undergoing hip surgery in 2014.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

We just traded a guy who was a tremendous disappointment for a good lefty starting pitching prospect. I'm damn near ready to do cartwheels. And here is Seagull. Finding something to complain about.

I don't give a shit if we pay the rest of his salary and toss in a mill to boot. It's a great trade.

The thing is, the ONE THING the Tribe has done incredibly well over the years is scout other teams' farm systems and make trades that ended up being great hauls.

We could, and have, listed those before. But an incredible amount of major contributors (Brantley, Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer) came from deals with other teams' minor league systems.

Very smart move - Moss was useless, especially under the circumstances of this season gone bad.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

‹›
Rob Kaminsky | Rank: 3
Team: Palm Beach Cardinals (A Adv) ETA: 2017
Position: LHP Age: 20 DOB: 09/02/1994
Bats: R Throws: L Height: 5' 11" Weight: 191 lb.
Drafted: 2013, 1st (28) - STL
VIDEO
Other Lists: Top 100 Prospects (#88), Top 10 LHP Prospects (#10)
Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 65 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55
The second of two left-handers selected by the Cardinals in the 2013 Draft, Kaminsky went 28th, nine picks after Marco Gonzales. While Gonzales rushed to St. Louis and won a pair of National League Division Series games in his first full pro season, Kaminsky has better pure stuff and a higher ceiling.

A New Jersey high school product who signed for $1,785,300, Kaminsky has the best curveball in the Cardinals system. He falls in love with his curve too much at times, but it's easy to see why, because it's a sharp downer that arrives in the upper 70s.

Kaminsky's other pitches both project as solid or better, an 88-92 mph fastball that can reach 95 and a changeup with some fade. He throws strikes with all three of his offerings and helps compensates for his lack of height by throwing from a higher three-quarters slot that adds some plane. He's extremely competitive and chafes at the notion that his smaller size might push him to the bullpen.

FSL

Team W L ERA G GS SV IP H HR BB K AVG WHIP GO/AO
PMB 6 5 2.09 17 17 0 94.2 82 0 28 79 .228 1.16 2.17
Minors 6 5 2.09 17 17 0 94.2 82 0 28 79 .228 1.16 2.17