Re: General Discussion

Indians not interested in signing Barry Zito

Bill Baer Feb 14, 2015, 7:25 PM EST

Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Indians were one of a handful of teams that watched Barry Zito throw recently, but came away uninterested in signing him. Zito, 36, didn’t pitch last season but is interested in continuing his major league career. The lefty would most likely have to settle for a minor league deal. Pluto notes that the Indians did have interest in Matt Albers after watching him pitch. Albers, 32, threw only 10 innings for the Astros last season due to tendinitis in his right shoulder.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Cleveland Indians prospect Brian Ruiz, former Lincoln West star, suspended for 80 games

Paul Hoynes, Northeast Ohio Media Group

CLEVELAND, Ohio -

It's been a tough winter for Indians minor leaguers.

Outfielder Brian Ruiz, former Senate MVP at Lincoln West High School, is the second minor leaguer employed by the Tribe to run afoul of MLB's drug policy this offseason. Ruiz was suspended for 80 games Friday for testing positive for performance enhancing metabolites.

Ruiz will be suspended without pay at the start of the 2015 season. It was Ruiz's first offense. A second offense carries a season-long suspension. A third offense results in a permanent ban.

The Indians drafted Ruiz in the 41st round in 2011. He was born in the Dominican Republic, but lives in Cleveland with his family.

This is Ruiz's third year in the Tribe's minor league system. He spent this season at Class A Lake County where he hit .260 (76-for-292) with 18 doubles, three homers and 28 RBI. He played 52 games in the outfield and made three errors.

Ruiz, 22, played in the Arizona Rookie League in 2012 and Class A Mahoning Valley in 2013. The numbers he posted this season at Lake County are by far his best.

On Jan. 23, Class AA Akron right-hander Duke von Schamann was suspended for 50 games without pay for a second violation of MLB's drug program. Von Schamann, acquired by the Indians early last season from the Dodgers for lefty Colt Hynes, was 8-8 with a 4.20 ERA at Akron.

Von Schamann, like Ruiz, will serve the suspension at the starts of the 2015 season.

He appeared in 24 games, including 20 starts, and threw 135 innings.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Jason Giambi has announced his retirement from baseball.
"After 20 seasons, I have decided to officially announce my retirement as a Major League Baseball player," Giambi said in a statement to the New York Daily News. "To the game of baseball: I started playing you when I was a kid and I’m leaving you a man. Thank you." The 44-year-old has been offered a non-playing role with the Indians, but it's not clear yet whether that will be his next venture. Giambi totaled 2,010 hits, 440 home runs, and 1,441 RBI in his illustrious big league career.

Source: New York Daily News
Feb 16 - 2:05 PM

Indians signed LHP Bruce Chen to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Chen, 37, was useful at times during his tenure with the Royals but wound up posting a 7.45 ERA and 1.76 WHIP for them in 2014 before being released. The left-hander will earn $1 million if he makes the big league roster with another $1 million available in incentives. He's a long shot to make any sort of impact in 2015.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter
Feb 16 - 10:29 PM

Say thank you to Francona for letting you grab a couple of million for being the cheerleader and mascot for the past couple of years.
LOL, I would totally agree....last season.

The season before, he had enough HUGE pinch hits to count for way more than that!
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Interesting fact -Jose Ramirez:

On Defense: During his 498.2 major league innings at shortstop in 2014, Ultimate Zone Rating (UZR) rated him as the best defensive shortstop by rate in all of baseball.
-- Bob Feller