Re: Idle Chatter

Super cool story about Kipnis and Santana hitting the Home Runs for the sick kid. Certainly wishful thinking, there is still a chance this could be a wonderful Cleveland Indians season......despite Shaps and Antoinetti......for those who might or perhaps do not have not Obamaphones in Northeastern Ohio.

Luck Be a Lady Tonight......or from now or here (to Eternity)....or just until the end of the season. Guys and Dolls.

Yesterday I turned 12. Well 12, if you add both digits of my age in type together.

My wife took me me Disney World for my Birthday. She wussed out on some rides, and it's late August and Disney World is approaching the very best weeks to go there for the fewest crowds. Single rider lines were short, and I did Test Track twice, and such.

I recommend Autumn visits to Disney World.

When at Disney, my wife and I have an understanding that she can go shop and buy stuff, and that I can go find Disney Bars and go buy stuff.

Together, we spent a wonderful and marvelous two hours together in The Grand Floridian for piano bar and jazz bar hours in the late afternoon sipping on concoctions I prompted our female bar tender to mix....

My wife was lamenting that her wrist band "Mickey" that was good for charging and getting into our room was not working as well as she had thought and wished (Disney) it would. She said she had "rubbed it across" the access, but had not hit it directly, and the lock was not opening.

I offered my advice was that she should not be so delicate, and opposed to "rubbing it" she should just "tap it hard."

The female bartender witnessing my offering.... agreed.

Just sayin'

ENUF about that.....

I know I am next to persona non grata status around these parts, these days.

(I care, and pay attention......and have opinions.....and actual thoughts)

I will admit that I was perplexed this evening as our doorbell rang after sunset in our Florida complex, and I went to the door with my concealed weapons permit...and such.....in my jeans.

A kid, about aged 9, asked if I would help him open a jar of what I think were capers. Yes, capers, whatever they are. He told me his Dad wasn't home from work yet, and his Mom needed the jar opened. To prep dinner was what I surmised.

His Mom, was on the access stairs above him....and us...... and watching, making sure he was OK.

I opened the jar. I almost had to wuss out and do the "pound to the ground" move to the lid, but I got lucky and popped the lid firmly off with my bare hands.

She had recently popped out her 3rd child when we first met her moving here 16 months ago.

She looks like a different and new girl, and kudos to her for buckling down over these past 16 months. I thought she was attractive as a brunette, She is super cute now that she has shed the pounds. She is blond now, but would have been equally super cute as a brunette.

My wife is My Life, but for me, it's always fun to save a damsel in distress.

I could use some schooling for Facebook, for anyone inclined.

I opened a Facebook account after my wife's goading and then I have been force fed updates into my personal email.

My latest force feed was a current pic of the girl I personally upon receipt touted as the hottest girl in our sophomore first year of a three year high school class......when Northeastern Ohio was doing much better than the current Obamaland landscape.....in days of yore. I even referenced her little sister, who I actually spent fine time with, and I have no idea how to get back there on Facebook again.

In 1971, the above girl had the finest arse of all, with the pockets of her way cut off short shorts hanging WAY better than the media mush over such, today.

With regard to her aforementioned "little sister".....song link maybe following below, I was "with her" on the day and night that Xenia, Ohio was crushed by tornadoes. We were at a high school "learning conference" at the State House in Columbus those days.

She was hot....I Mean HOT!

The little sister talked to me spontaneously for the first time in the two years I had known who she was....and salivated when I saw her..... and when she unexpectedly talked to me in the hotel at our "learning experiene" for high school seemingly bright kids, I offered I had a bottle of Yago Sangria with me, back in my room.

The Yago Sangria was meant to share when I brought it to share with my other assigned male room mates of the week. Yes, even being Irish, German and Shawnee, I was naive at that age and though the bottle might be worthwhile for multiple guys for a day or two.

I was wrong....on multiple levels.

"Little Sister" called me in my room with assigned guys, and suggested strongly I should come to her solo occupied, by happenstance, room ......rapidly.....with my Yago.

I did. I apologized to the guys counting on the Yago, and noted they had not seen THIS particular girl, and they most certainly would understand, if they had.

The recently met girl and I, drained the bottle and had a fun time in her room.

We later went to a close bar with a "Chicago" cover band playing live.

The trombone player cock blocked me on the band break, after my earlier fun. And SHE left with him.

I returned to the hotel for my continued "high school learning experience."

The next morning I was in The State of Ohio State House, and learned Xenia had been decimated and many lives had been lost while I was frittering away time with the hot blonde who obviously "used me." ........:-)

That weekend might have been one of my best learning experiences weekend of all my life.

Ironic that "that particular little sister name" is the same as my now beloved wife.

Different spellings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBS2NcFJBaE

Elvis....go figure...

rusty2 wrote:You certainly like noses !!!!! :shock:

Good night, Mrs. Calabash.....

Look THAT one up in your Husker prior posts, and your Funk and Wagnalls, Rusty

I knew "that girl" (no, not Monica Lewinsky for Bill Clinton Democrat lovers).....I knew that girl in high school. And no, not Marlo Thomas. Trust me, I NEVER focused on the girl I personally knew and her nose, which in her defense was badly and distortedly captured in the photo I was unexpectedly fed, and then shared here last night.

I googled her little sister who drank Yago Sangria with me in her hotel room, and I learned she later.......years later, had dinner with Henry Kissinger upon his request. And she also went on to some writing of renown in pretty major publications.

I'll take the credit for her later success for providing the under age Yago Sangria drinks as thunderstorms were building......
Last edited by Tribe Fan in SC/Cali on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rusty2 wrote:Just sayin....... Seems like you like anteater looking women ! :roll:
Are you baiting me with ants to note that Mark Shapiro looks like an anteater?

Truly, I am not anti-Semitic, but I AM anti dumb arse losers who continue to collect ill earned money on the Cleveland area public fandom dole, as Shaps does.

Former WEWS anchor John Hambrick dies at age 73 after battle with cancer

Posted: 09/10/2013

Last Updated: 1 hour and 49 minutes ago

By: Tom Livingston, newsnet5.com By: Tom Livingston, newsnet5.com

CLEVELAND - Former WEWS anchor John Hambrick died Tuesday afternoon at Scott & White Hospital in Round Rock, Texas after a battle with cancer, his son told NewsChannel5. He was 73.

Hambrick anchored the 6 and 11 p.m. newscasts from 1967 to 1975. Along with Dave Patterson, Dorothy Fuldheim, Gib Shanley and Don Webster, Hambrick took WEWS from a poor third place station to a dominant No. 1.

"The years spent with John on the news were arguably the best years of my life at WEWS," said Don Webster, who did weather as part of the Eyewitness News team. "John was a true gentleman and a real pro. John was the captain of the ship but never tried to hog the spotlight. He knew we were a team and he steered the ship admirably. He loved his work and his family, and will always be remembered by me as one of the good guys."

Dave Patterson joined WEWS in 1970 and would become Hambrick’s co-anchor.

"His dynamic approach to the newscast came naturally and was a key factor in the success we had," said Patterson of his co-anchor. “We were a mixed bag of personalities and styles that apparently attracted viewers from a wide set of demographics. It taught us all how important a team can be, greater than the sum of each individual talent."

Hambrick grew up in East Texas and Louisiana. His father worked for Humble Oil in what were known as oil camps, small towns that popped up during the oil boom.

"His lifelong dream was to be an actor," said Hambrick’s son Jack.

He studied theater in high school and at the University of Texas. He dropped out of UT and went out to Hollywood to become a star in the late 1950s early '60s. Among roles he landed were small parts in General Electric Theater and Playhouse 90.

"My dad was a creative person, an artist. He approached anchoring the news and writing copy as a creative process. Whether it was writing scripts, anchoring the news or recording a country album, it was all about creativity with him," Jack Hambrick said.

Hambrick began anchoring in Wichita Falls, Texas, but it was while he was anchoring at WCPO in Cincinnati, owned by E.W. Scripps, also the parent company for WEWS, that a series of events transpired to bring Hambrick to Cleveland.

"John was at WCPO and had a great offer from a station in Detroit," said Lee Bailey, a veteran newsman and colleague of Hambrick at WEWS. "The Scripps people knew they had a potential No. 1 anchor on their hands, so they offered him Detroit-level money to work in Cleveland and stay with Scripps."

Hambrick hit it off with Fred Griffith, WEWS news director at the time, and the move to Cleveland was sealed.

John Hambrick took Cleveland by storm. His charisma, good looks and personal on-air style connected with the Cleveland audience. He was also a journalist who demanded great work from those around him.

“When I came into his world in 1972, I was basically a chimp sitting at what we once called a 'typewriter'," said former WEWS reporter Jay Bacchus. “Not unlike a newsroom big brother, John mentored me in the finer points of writing news. More than once, he gave me a good butt-chewing. And more than once, I richly deserved it."

"John always loved an audience and long after the late evening newscasts would conclude, John would remain in the station offering suggestions and ideas to anyone interested in furthering their journalism career," retired WEWS anchor Ted Henry added.

Not content to sit behind the anchor desk, Hambrick covered global stories in an era when local TV stations were stronger than the networks they carried. He covered stories from the conflicts in the Middle East, struggles in Japan, national political conventions and the death of Roberto Clemente in Puerto Rico.

Hambrick was also a song writer, his album “Windmill in a Jet Filled Sky” hit record stores and in 1972 and was very successful.

Hambrick’s brothers Judd and Mike also were TV news anchors, Judd worked at both WKYC and WJW, while Mike had a brief stint at WEWS. Mike currently works for “The Howard Stern Show”, Judd is retired.

John Hambrick left Cleveland in 1975 for Los Angeles and would work in New York, San Francisco and two Miami stations.

"I think I made a mistake in leaving Cleveland," he told Ted Henry in 1992. "I look back on Cleveland, and my time in Cleveland as the one genuine success in my career."

Hambrick retired from TV and returned to Texas.

For the past three years, he and Lee Bailey collaborated a Civil War movie project. They co-wrote a screenplay about John Hunt Morgan, the Confederate General who invaded Ohio 150 years ago called, “ Thunderbolt Raiders ”.

"A Texan at heart and by birth, it was no surprise to me that John would end his career by returning to the Lone Star state," said Ted Henry.

Hambrick is survived by his wife Barbara, the two met while in high school in Talco, Texas, and three children, Jack, Meredith and Mignon.

I woke up at 4:00 AM this last morning and could not go back to sleep. I hit the personal "in home" gym, chugged some orange juice, and channel surfed.

I found an episode from the later years of "My Three Sons."

Chip, Ernie, and Uncle Charlie, and so forth.

And Robbie Douglas, the featured character of that particular episode.

I googled to see what the Robbie Douglas actor was up to these days, and was suddenly reminded he died last year.

Life goes fast.

Grab it early, and hang on. Life don't last

(Looking around for a Rod Stewart link)

My youngest daughter just had an accepted offer on a home to buy today. It was a prudent offer I had worked through with her for her starter home or career transitional possible future rental. The place sold for 320K in 2007, and then in a depressed market, 248K in 2011. She locked it in at two ticks over $150,000 today on a short sale reboot for instant equity.

This brings three of my four kids into home ownership....and paying property taxes, and such.

In today's Obamaworld, it could be argued that just not having to work is the better way to go.

Just saying.

(this post will be deleted soon)