Re: General Discussion

Dodgers great, Hall of Famer Duke Snider dies at 84

03:29 PM

Duke Snider, a Hall of Fame outfielder who hit 407 home runs in an 18-year career that spanned the Dodgers' final years in Brooklyn and first years in Los Angeles, died Sunday morning. He was 84.

Snider passed away at a convalescent hospital in Escondido, Calif., following an undisclosed illness, according to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Snider was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1980, his 11th appearance on the ballot.

He was a lifetime .295 hitter and an eight-time All-Star, with all but one of those appearances coming as a Brooklyn Dodger, where he earned the moniker "The Duke of Flastbush."

Snider was part of a celebrated group of New York center fielders at the time, as his counterparts included Yankees great Mickey Mantle and Giants legend Willie Mays -- Willie, Mickey and the Duke, as the Terry Cashman tune "Talkin' Baseball" so deftly put it.

He was the last surviving member of the Dodgers' famed "Boys of Summer" group that won the 1955 World Series -- their lone title in Brooklyn -- and later was immortalized in a Roger Kahn book.

That '55 season also was Snider's finest from various production standpoints. He led the National League in both RBI (136) and runs (126) while hitting .309. He narrowly lost the NL MVP crown that year to teammate Roy Campanella.

Snider followed that up by hitting four home runs in the Series against the Yankees. He remains the only player to hit four home runs in two Series, having done it against the Yankees in 1952, as well.

Said Dodgers legend Tom Lasorda, Snider's teammate, in a statement release by the Dodgers:

"I was Duke's teammate and looked up to him with respect. Duke was not only a great player but he was a great person too. He loved his family and loved the Dodgers. He was the true Dodger and represented the Dodgers to the highest degree of class, dignity and character. He was my teammate and friend and I will really miss him."

Strangely enough, Snider ended his career by playing one season with the New York Mets, the club that attempted to fill the void of the Dodgers in New York, followed by one season with the rival San Francisco Giants.

Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully, in another statement released by the club, called Snider a "giant," certainly with a lower-case letter:

"He was an extremely gifted talent and his defensive abilities were often overlooked because of playing in a small ballpark, Ebbets Field. When he had a chance to run and move defensively, he had the grace and the abilities of DiMaggio and Mays and of course, he was a World Series hero that will forever be remembered in the borough of Brooklyn. Although it's ironic to say it, we have lost a giant. He's joining a great Dodger team that has moved on and I extend my sympathies to his entire family, especially to Bev."

Funny, Duke Snider barely hit my radar screen as a Baseball Fan.

Of course I know the song...."Willie, Mickey and The Duke."

But I never saw Snider play, though I did see Willie and Mickey.

Mickey in Cleveland Municipal, on multiple occasions as a kid.

And heck, for that matter I saw Joe DiMaggio play in old timer's games.

I knew he had great stats and was in The Hall.

And I never gave The Dodgers much thought, and in fact loathed them long before I moved to Northern California where it's baseball fashionable to do same.

Cleveland Indians OF Austin Kearns arrested for DUI in Kentucky
Published: Tuesday, March 01, 2011, 11:04 AM Updated: Tuesday, March 01, 2011, 11:36 AM
By Paul Hoynes, The Plain Dealer

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Indians outfielder Austin Kearns has a court date in Jessamine County, Ky. on March 10 after being arrested for DUI on Feb. 12. Jessamine County is outside of Lexington, Ky., Kearns hometown.
He met with reporters before practice today at the Indians Goodyear training facility.
"I really can't say anything," said Kearns. "There's a legal process going on."
Kearns added that he will not have to leave camp to attend the hearing.
"My attorney will go for me," said Kearns.
Asked if this was his first DUI offense, "I wouldn't say I've had one right now. But no, I haven't had any occassion like that."
Asked if he was contesting the charge, Kearns said, "I can't talk about it."
The Indians had no knowledge of the incident until a story appeared in Monday's Jessamine County Journal. Asked why he didn't inform the Indians, Kearns cited "the advice I was given."
Kearns said he met with GM Chris Antonetti and manager Manny Acta.
"We had a good talk," said Kearns. "We're all on the same page and we're moving forward."
The team released this statement, "We are aware of Austin Kearns' arrest on Feb. 12 and are in the process of gathering facts and discussing the matter with him. The Indians organization takes these issues very seriously and is disappopinted by the circumstances. We will handle the matter internally and will not have any further comment until we have complete information about the incident and the legal process has run its course."
The Jessamine County Journal reported that Kearns was arrested early on the morning of Feb. 12 by an off-duty Lexington police officer.
The newspaper, according to the police report, said that Kearns, 30, was taken to the Jessamine County Detention Center. The arresting officer said Kearns was "flashing his headlights and weaving on U.S. 68" in a 2007 Cadillac Escalade. Kearns was arrested when the officer observed him stopping his vehicle and driving away.
According to the report, Todd Sponcil, a Jessamine County sherriff's deputy, said Kearns told him that he'd had a "a couple bourbon and cokes" at Harry’s Bar in Lexington. Sponcil arrived on the scene after Kearns was pulled over.
Kearns, according to the report, refused a field sobriety test and was "very unsteady on his feet." Sponcil said that Kearns "advised that he played professional baseball and asked if I could cut him a break.
Kearns had no comment about whether he asked for special treatment.
The newspaper said that Kearns posted 10 percent of a $1,000 bond and was released late that day.
Kearns played baseball at Lafayette High school in Lexington and was drafted by the Reds in 1998. He started last year with the Indians and was traded to the Yankees in July. The Indians re-signed him for $1.3 million as a free agent this offseason.
" I am not young enough to know everything."

rocky raccoon wrote:Is there a different way necessary here for posting pictures?

My 'img src' method isn't working.
It's easier to post pics here. Just click the IMG box, then paste the URL of the pic.

From the FAQ section:
What is BBCode?
BBCode is a special implementation of HTML, offering great formatting control on particular objects in a post. The use of BBCode is granted by the administrator, but it can also be disabled on a per post basis from the posting form. BBCode itself is similar in style to HTML, but tags are enclosed in square brackets [ and ] rather than < and >. For more information on BBCode see the guide which can be accessed from the posting page.

Can I use HTML?
No. It is not possible to post HTML on this board and have it rendered as HTML. Most formatting which can be carried out using HTML can be applied using BBCode instead.

Code: Select all

Standings
AL Central Standings
Team	W	L	Pct.	GB	Home	Road
x-Minnesota	94	68	.580	-	53-28	41-40
Chi. White Sox	88	74	.543	6	45-36	43-38
Detroit	81	81	.500	13	52-29	29-52
Cleveland	69	93	.426	25	38-43	31-50
Kansas City	67	95	.414	27	38-43	29-52
The above is using the

Code: Select all