Re: Articles

Rusty was one of the first people I ever heard or read who dissed Terry Pluto. Terry Pluto formerly of The Akron Beacon Journal and now with The Cleveland Plain Dealer.

I later agreed with Rusty that Terry was writing seemingly as if he was tired or bored with his job and duties.

Just to clear this up a little. I personally own 8 Terry Pluto books that have all been signed by Terry Pluto. I have also enjoyed the many chances I have had to speak or e-mail Terry Pluto. Pluto is married to a lady from Pinehurst NC and that has allowed us to have conversations about the Greensboro area and not just sports. (Pinehurst about 50 miles away.)

I think Pluto's book called "Everyday Faith" is a great read and very inspirational. I think Pluto became much more interested in his faith and less interested in sports. IMO

At the same time I think his book on Pete Franklin is boring,

When I first moved to Greensboro it was great to read articles by Terry Pluto who was covering the Orioles and his articles were picked up by the Greensboro newspaper.

I disagree a lot with his stories, subjects, and opinions in the last 5 years.

Good guy though.

Disgruntled Chris Perez an ongoing issue for Cleveland Indians: MLB Insider
Published: Saturday, September 08, 2012, 5:53 PM Updated: Saturday, September 08, 2012, 6:44 PM
By Paul Hoynes, The Plain Dealer

MINNEAPOLIS -- What's the next big thing to come out of Chris Perez's mouth? More importantly, what are the Indians going to do about the last big thing?
Last week Perez criticized owners Larry and Paul Dolan for not spending money and questioned the trades of current General Manager Chris Antonetti and his predecessor, Mark Shapiro, the man who acquired Perez from St. Louis in 2009. Given the waves he's caused this season, if Perez is caught egging Bob Feller's statute during the next homestand, it would not be a surprise.
Perez operates without a filter. It helps him in his job as closer where recklessness and an all-or-nothing attitude are needed. He's saved 35 games, vomited on the mound, done the John Cena "You Can't See Me" move to a batter, and is the only closer in the big leagues to blow two three-run saves.
Off the mound, that same recklessness is good for creating online hits on Cleveland.com and selling copies of The Plain Dealer. Last week, however, a line was crossed.
It was the first time Perez publicly criticized the organization. For the Indians, it's the first time a high-profile player has challenged them about their ability to produce a winner since Larry Dolan purchased the team in February of 2000.
Even Albert Belle didn't do that. At least while the Indians were signing his paychecks.
Several hours after Perez's comments to FoxSports.com hit the Internet, Antonetti talked to him over the phone. The conversation was heated, with Perez reportedly delivering a state of the franchise speech in which he critiqued teammates, the coaching staff and manager Manny Acta.
Earlier in the year, Perez fired off a Tweet about the Royals that earned him an $850 fine from MLB. He ripped Indians fans for not coming to Progressive Field when the team was in first place. He has also questioned Cleveland's blind loyalty to the Browns and its refusal to forgive departed Cavalier LeBron James.
On a recent trip, he engaged in an argument with an obnoxious Oakland fan at O.Com Coliseum that was videotaped and put on the Internet. The argument was profanity laced with Perez doing most of the swearing. His debate points included bragging about his contract and his two All-Star game appearances.
The argument with the fan was unfortunate. For a guy as media savvy as Perez, it was surprising that he didn't realize that he was being set up. The rest of his rants, especially those concerning a lack of fan support when the team was playing well, were silently supported by the organization.
This latest incident is seen by most as an attempt by Perez, 27, to force the Indians to trade him. He's under their control for two more years with the chances of the Indians being a contender remote.
If that really is Perez's motive, there are probably better ways to do it than ripping your team's owner and past and present general managers. John Hart, the Indians' former GM, was always fond of saying that closers aren't that hard to find. "They fall out of trees," said Hart.
It is a good thing for Perez to remember.

The Indians hierarchy from Larry Dolan on down was not happy with Perez's comments. If he wanted to strike a nerve, he cut the plate in half with that delivery. When the news first broke, there was organizational talk about suspending or designating Perez for assignment. Things have cooled since.
It appears the Indians, for the time being, will ignore Perez's comments. They believe his feelings about ownership and the front office haven't spread to a majority of his teammates. They also don't want to give more credence to his comments with a heavy-handed response.
Perez could make close to $7 million in arbitration this winter. If the Indians decide they can put that money to better use, they could trade him and give the closer's job to Vinnie Pestano. Should that happen, the Dolans, Shapiro and Antonetti better get fitted for ear muffs because any unhappy Indian will know he can talk his way out of Cleveland.
All they have to do is top Perez, which will not be easy.

Several hours after Perez's comments to FoxSports.com hit the Internet, Antonetti talked to him over the phone. The conversation was heated, with Perez reportedly delivering a state of the franchise speech in which he critiqued teammates, the coaching staff and manager Manny Acta.

It appears the Indians, for the time being, will ignore Perez's comments. They believe his feelings about ownership and the front office haven't spread to a majority of his teammates. They also don't want to give more credence to his comments with a heavy-handed response.
The no-guts Front Office does nothing.

Again.

rusty2 wrote:Rusty was one of the first people I ever heard or read who dissed Terry Pluto. Terry Pluto formerly of The Akron Beacon Journal and now with The Cleveland Plain Dealer.

I later agreed with Rusty that Terry was writing seemingly as if he was tired or bored with his job and duties.

Just to clear this up a little. I personally own 8 Terry Pluto books that have all been signed by Terry Pluto. I have also enjoyed the many chances I have had to speak or e-mail Terry Pluto. Pluto is married to a lady from Pinehurst NC and that has allowed us to have conversations about the Greensboro area and not just sports. (Pinehurst about 50 miles away.)

Good guy though.
I have a book signed by Terry Pluto, though I bought it on eBay.

I know Terry Pluto is a good guy, just from reading his daily writings over the years, especially when he lost his Dad.

But....

Sports writer are not always supposed to be soft in their approach.

Call them as you see them.....each day.

Wow.

I'm thinking we should put Chris Perez and Albert Belle in the Top Two organizational spots if the latter will accept.

Belle has his Accounting degree, and at least he went to a sports school and played MLB in the stratosphere of the era.

Perez is full of pi** and vinegar, and wants to win in any and every way at all costs to himself.

Belle and Perez would sell season tickets by the boatland, as compared to The Bobsey Twins of Shapiro and Antonetti.

Somebody put in a call to Dolan, who probably went to bed hours ago worrying about what to wear to the Art Modell tribute that will not be happening in Cleveland. Thankfully.

Rosenthal On Farrell, Indians, Nationals

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [September 10 at 3:16pm CST]

The Blue Jays shouldn’t part with manager John Farrell unless they are confident they can hire a comparable replacement and make the Red Sox pay dearly for their former pitching coach, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports writes. The Blue Jays could start by asking for Clay Buchholz again, Rosenthal suggests. Here’s more from around MLB, starting with Farrell...

People who know Farrell find it difficult to believe he’d try to force his way out of Toronto, Rosenthal reports. The Blue Jays appear to value Farrell and don’t want to see him leave.
Most MLB teams wanted to develop Jurickson Profar as a pitcher when he was an amateur player, Rosenthal reports. The Rangers built a relationship with Profar, who wanted to play shortstop.

Scouts following the Indians like the team’s up-the-middle talent, but say the body language of manager Manny Acta suggests he’s resigned to losing. The Indians are expected to consider trade offers for Justin Masterson, Shin-Soo Choo and Chris Perez this offseason and rival teams wonder if they’d listen to offers for Asdrubal Cabrera.

Indians officials are “livid” with Perez for his comments about the team’s ownership and top baseball executives, Rosenthal writes. Perez questioned the Indians’ decision making and spending last week in an interview with Jon Paul Morosi. Some executives viewed those remarks as an attempt to get traded, Rosenthal reports.

One Orioles person points out that Andy MacPhail traded for many of the Orioles’ key players in a series of successful deals. MacPhail dealt for players such as J.J. Hardy, Pedro Strop, Chris Davis, Tommy Hunter, Robert Andino and Adam Jones before stepping down following the 2011 season.
Though the Nationals would like to retain Adam LaRoche, they can rely on internal options if the first baseman’s asking price reaches the three-year, $33-36MM range. Similarly, the Nationals might decide not to pursue Michael Bourn despite the long-standing expectation that they will offer him a competitive free agent contract.
The Brewers will need to sign a starting pitcher and fix their bullpen this coming offseason, Rosenthal writes.

rusty2 wrote:Scouts following the Indians like the team’s up-the-middle talent, but say the body language of manager Manny Acta suggests he’s resigned to losing.

You know how stupid that sounds. Some cheap AAAA player cant hit because he doesnt like the way his manager is sitting in the dugout.