Re: General Discussion

I never said I don't like Perez. I like him a lot.

But if you don't score any runs you don't need a closer. Our offense has been so anemic I have a very hard time imagining this as a playoff team. I would have to see all of Cabrera, Santanna, Hanahan, Hafner come completely alive with their bats with Kipnis, Brantley and Choo maintaining their solid performances at the plate before I could have any hope of this team making it through the stretch run in contention.

Adding one or 2 effective bats can have a huge domino effect on the whole batting order.

Unless Seattle wants to gift us with future all-stars for our garbage again, you just don't get good players without giving good players.

The only other possibility I can see is if we get Hernandez and R. Perez back in short order, those guys make a great initial showing, and we trade them for some bats.

Barring a miraculous resurgence by our existing hitters, or a trade for some decent hitters, I don't hold a lot of hopes that we'll make it into the post season, let alone go vary far if we do make it. August and September can be extremely looong months for slumping hitters.

Re: General Discussion

Matt Underwood:
Roberto Hernandez (Fausto Carmona) is en route to Cleveland after getting his US visa. MLB has suspended him for 3 weeks for identity fraud and he is eligible to join big league club on August 11. In meantime he will pitch in minor leagues to get ready.